Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm still working on that vaporwave thread, because I'm a lazy sad bum, but!

https://twitter.com/MWCollective/status/1652445105826197506?cxt=HHwWhMDT-bKE1e4tAAAA

PLUME VALLEY REPRESS, SWARM SWARM SWARM!!!!! :aaa:

midge posted:

Thread favourite, Pacific Breeze comps, I've long wanted these but could never pull the trigger on the shipping costs to Toronto. Shame they didn't have the 2nd in stock, but I'll see it one day!

:rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I stopped by some record stores this weekend:

Most of these were $4. A few were $2. The Left Banke was $10. Big Bambu has the rolling paper.

This quote from Richie Blackmore on the FRONT COVER of the Green Bullfrog record made me laugh:

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Ventures records you can fortunately still find pretty much everywhere and extremely cheap. Best two are The Ventures Play Telstar and The Ventures in Space.
I also picked these up for cheap. Thanks for the recommendation!:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

wa27 posted:

Most of these were $4. A few were $2. The Left Banke was $10. Big Bambu has the rolling paper.

This quote from Richie Blackmore on the FRONT COVER of the Green Bullfrog record made me laugh:

I also picked these up for cheap. Thanks for the recommendation!:

That Blackmore quote is :discourse:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Converge announced today they're doing a vinyl release of a live performance of Jane Doe, called Jane Live. Pre-orders for a release in July.

Definitely interested in grabbing this but I just bought The World Is a Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die's 10 anniversary release of Whenever, If Ever.

https://deathwishinc.com/collections/converge/products/converge-jane-live-ashley-rose-couture

and the more limited Newbury variants

https://www.newburycomics.com/collections/vendors?q=Converge&sort_by=created-descending

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I just had my first guest DJ over. Old pal of mine. We used to play out together all the time at various bars around town. Super stoked to have him and I might open my studio up to some of my old DJ buddies and maybe do a semi regular guest spot. I had kinda forgotten how fun it is to nerd out on records while playing them. Dude has mad crates and is constantly blowing my mind with the stuff he plays.

https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/atom-13-for-45-day-2023/

quote:

J-Rocc - Flight #2
Soul Supreme - Bonita Applebum
Bobby Rush - Mary Jane
Alex Santos Orchestra- Nautilus
Dj Format & The Simonsound - Holy Thursday
Lil Dave & Kate Faust - I Would Die for You
Zackey Force Funk - How Much Ya Need
Willie Hutch - All American Funkathon
Sylvester - I Need Somebody to Love Tonight
Rhythm Heritage - I Wouldn’t Treat a Dog(the way you treated me)
Odyssey- Together
Dayton - The Music
The Fantastic Four - Alvin Stone “the birth and death of a gangster”

Also, my May mix will be dropping soon and I'll be giving away a record so I'll let ya know the deets on that soon. Thanks for all the support over the years. Play yer records!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I finally grabbed the LCD Soundsystem "final" concert boxset, because I found an Australian store with it for $150 which seems way too good to be true.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

wa27 posted:

Go to YouTube and watch any "ranking the Genesis discography" video. Apparently Abacab killed these people's puppies on Christmas morning.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
So my kid is asking for a turntable for her 15th birthday "but not once as nice as yours" (I've just got an Orbit).

What's my best bet for something that's likely going to be a fad for her and not worth spending $$$ on? It's going to need either a preamp or ability to play to powered speakers, and she's going to want to play my records so it can't have a dogshit stylus.

Can you upgrade the carts on the $100 ones on Amazon?

Take her to the pawnshop and get an old consumer one and an amp and learn to fix a turntable?

Just throw money at it?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

stealie72 posted:

So my kid is asking for a turntable for her 15th birthday "but not once as nice as yours" (I've just got an Orbit).

What's my best bet for something that's likely going to be a fad for her and not worth spending $$$ on? It's going to need either a preamp or ability to play to powered speakers, and she's going to want to play my records so it can't have a dogshit stylus.

Take her to the pawnshop and get an old consumer one and an amp and learn to fix a turntable?

Just throw money at it?

I bought a $70 or something Victrola briefcase player early this year on Amazon and it's compact and sounds fine with its built-in speakers (I did buy external speakers) so that might be an option.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Go to YouTube and watch any "ranking the Genesis discography" video. Apparently Abacab killed these people's puppies on Christmas morning.

Yeah I don't get it either.

Although the existence of "Who Dunnit?" is, uh... a choice.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

stealie72 posted:

Just throw money at it?

As a college-aged zoomer with limited dorm space, I have the Anabas GP-N3R and it's basically perfect. Not too expensive (~150 smackers, less if you import directly), comes with an AT stylus, runs on D cells, and (most importantly) small as hell. Has a built in mono speaker but also includes a stereo line out. If you really want, you can wall-mount it and play records vertically

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Yeah I don't get it either.

Although the existence of "Who Dunnit?" is, uh... a choice.

It's dumb, but it's not anywhere near the worst thing in their discography, I say looking at illegal alien

also it gave us this series of ridiculous phil contortions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R6qu62xekE

also it slots in nicely into the pantheon of songs where they're singing about a thing but refusing to tell you what it is - see also duran duran's reflex and faith no more's epic

hexwren fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 3, 2023

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

stealie72 posted:

Just throw money at it?

My best recommendation would be the Audio Technica ATLP-60. It's inexpensive and is decent enough quality that she's no going to wreck your poo poo. They're popular enough that there are plenty of used ones floating around. Failing that check out old used turntables at a record store that sells them or an old stereo place if you've got one around. A lot of older moderately priced consumer grade stuff will be of much better quality than the new stuff of similar pricing. Though I don't know how typical pre-amps were of those. A lot of thrift stores have stereo receivers for next to nothing. I see all kinds of big huge ones in Savers for about 15 bucks on a regular basis.

Alternatively: Make her read every single one of my posts from this thread and she'll lose interest entirely.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
WaitsUp, thanks for the heads up on Sonic Boom.

Quoting my own post to say Weyes Blood's album from last year is hitting way harder than I expected it to - wow.....on repeat all week long, drat near spiritual.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I picked up the third Pacific Breeze recently. it is amazing. even better than the other two.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

My best recommendation would be the Audio Technica ATLP-60. It's inexpensive and is decent enough quality that she's no going to wreck your poo poo. They're popular enough that there are plenty of used ones floating around.

This is the correct answer

CPL593H posted:

Alternatively: Make her read every single one of my posts from this thread and she'll lose interest entirely.

I love you CPL593H ;-*

midge posted:

WaitsUp, thanks for the heads up on Sonic Boom.

Quoting my own post to say Weyes Blood's album from last year is hitting way harder than I expected it to - wow.....on repeat all week long, drat near spiritual.

I saw her on the Colbert show last month and really enjoyed the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPZvTA5Bae8

Thanks to you and my poor impulse control, I bought the purple LP from Bandcamp.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I love you CPL593H ;-*

Clearly you haven't read my posts.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Read After Burning posted:

I'm still working on that vaporwave thread, because I'm a lazy sad bum, but!

https://twitter.com/MWCollective/status/1652445105826197506?cxt=HHwWhMDT-bKE1e4tAAAA

PLUME VALLEY REPRESS, SWARM SWARM SWARM!!!!! :aaa:

:rock:

Hell yeah. Got that purp. Thanks dude!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

pwn posted:

Thanks to you and my poor impulse control, I bought the purple LP from Bandcamp.

I hear ya, this thread has a lot to answer for. It's a combination of this album finding me at the right time in addition to its objective high quality/artist merit

Speaking of poor impulse control, Level Select by Pizza Hotline just dropped, 500 units....too rich for my blood.

https://wereleasewhateverthefuckwewantrecords.bandcamp.com/album/level-select

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum finally announced a 2024 reunion along with reissues of all three of their albums! :hellyeah:

https://sleepytimegorillamuseum1.bandcamp.com/merch

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum finally announced a 2024 reunion along with reissues of all three of their albums! :hellyeah:

https://sleepytimegorillamuseum1.bandcamp.com/merch

Dresden Dolls also doing reunion tour this year. First time ever seeing either of them was a split bill at the living room in providence RI. Nils was running the merch table and he kinda laughed when I bought their live album.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hot drat
I swapped out the ortofon OM5e that came with my orbit finally (had it long enough that I figured it was about time even if not strictly necessary)
Opted to go for the seemingly recommended everywhere mp110 since I have a lot of older records I'd read that cartridge would smooth over a bit better

and I was fully expecting my busted ears to hear no difference between the two but I swear to god the difference is night and day

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BigFactory posted:

Nils was running the merch table and he kinda laughed when I bought their live album.
He once spent a couple of minutes trying to talk me out of a copy of Idiot Flesh's Tales of Instant Knowledge and Sure Death (which he had to run out to the bus to grab a copy) 'cause he said it was embarrassing. Like that was gonna stop me from buyin' it. :getin:

The SGM socials are hinting at Idiot Flesh reissues too, fingers crossed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

caligulamprey posted:

He once spent a couple of minutes trying to talk me out of a copy of Idiot Flesh's Tales of Instant Knowledge and Sure Death (which he had to run out to the bus to grab a copy) 'cause he said it was embarrassing. Like that was gonna stop me from buyin' it. :getin:

The SGM socials are hinting at Idiot Flesh reissues too, fingers crossed.

Extremely excited for more SGM in concert. I only got to see them a few times, which is probably a lot for someone from the east coast, but they’re so good.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It finally happened. The algorithm gave me an ad for a company that will grade/authenticate cds and vinyl.

https://audiomediagrading.com/

Apparently it's a collaboration between a company that is known for doing this with Apple products and Steve Aoki. The ad I saw featured a graded 9 sealed Japanese issue of a Billy Joel - 52nd Street cd, which sounds exactly like the type of poo poo people would send in and then pay money for.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Records are to be played. That grading site is gross and scammy.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
also re:CDs, isn't bitrot just like unavoidable?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Did some light shopping today.

I have a problem.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Schremp Howard posted:

It finally happened. The algorithm gave me an ad for a company that will grade/authenticate cds and vinyl.

https://audiomediagrading.com/

Apparently it's a collaboration between a company that is known for doing this with Apple products and Steve Aoki. The ad I saw featured a graded 9 sealed Japanese issue of a Billy Joel - 52nd Street cd, which sounds exactly like the type of poo poo people would send in and then pay money for.

They grade 8-tracks.

If I had a whole bunch of disposable money, I'd send them a few 8-track to grade, just because I want to know what exactly they consider an above average 8-track. I've never heard an 8-track that didn't sound like thick mud. And that's when they've been in good enough shape to actually function.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I have a problem.
Only problem I see is that you have a pretty great taste in music. Nice haul.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

SwimNurd posted:

Records are to be played. That grading site is gross and scammy.

They have this for all different kinds of stuff. It's for joyless assholes who just enjoy having overpriced vanity items for the sake of having overpriced vanity items. Half the people who collect records now don't even own a turntable. I really wish people would stop acting like all this mass produced stuff is valuable antiquities.

mutantIke posted:

also re:CDs, isn't bitrot just like unavoidable?

If you're sealing it in a hard plastic case never to be handled or listened to again what's the difference?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That basically is the current state of my CDs and I didn't need a fancy service to do it

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Did some light shopping today.

I have a problem.

drat friend you got at least 5 in there that I want for my own collection. Consider this Goon to be jelly as gently caress.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I paid some stupid-high garage sale prices for some vinyl today, but somehow was still happy with the purchase. I've been looking for Main Course forever.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It's hard to find Rubber Soul without a split cover.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boinks posted:

Tip on covers just tend to split like that. They're held together by what's essentially a paper decal and there probably wasn't much thought or care about them being passed around decades later.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

I'm 0 for 2 now. But at least I have a listenable copy finally. The last one I bought had been played so much it sounded like garbage.

Anyone know a good alternative to these jacket repair strips that isn't $1.50 per foot? Maybe just 2" brown reinforced packing tape would work?
edit: I see many people suggesting "paper hinging tape", which seems like a solid option.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 6, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

wa27 posted:

I paid some stupid-high garage sale prices for some vinyl today, but somehow was still happy with the purchase. I've been looking for Main Course forever.

Rare Rubber Zeus variant :popclap:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hit up the cd cellar for the first time today... I could've spent hours there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Get Happy owns