Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I don't get why but Resonance of Fate won't run on the proper resolution or aspect ratio, but what happens is I can only see a quarter of the screen and it's annoying that no settings or command line options work
And this has a verified rating for the deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Holy poo poo. Yikes

Yeah go figure the only real piece of leverage you have as a consumer is treated like the nuclear option by any business you use it on.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah go figure the only real piece of leverage you have as a consumer is treated like the nuclear option by any business you use it on.

:capitalism:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's also probably a good way to steal from businesses. Any chargeback I did I never got contacted again.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If Valve support doesn't get back to you in a timely manner just pester them ask politely for an update.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

This. I have done a chargeback exactly once. A company that exclusively sold liquor and which I had never ordered from before failed to deliver for 8 weeks after stating a 2-3 day delivery time and ignored all my mail/phone contact attempts for several weeks.

I wasn't planning on ordering from them ever again anyway. These places are a dime a dozen, so not a big loss. Got my 20€ from Mastercard and never looked back.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://github.com/razuhl/SSMSController

Anyone try this out with Starsector on Deck?

Having a crazy space exploration game that's pretty lightweight on the go would be enormous. Just needs to actually be playable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I'm glad you folks said something because I had opened a dispute, but I cancelled it like 45 minutes later. Bullet dodged I guess

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

way to go bucket head

I've never had to do a chargeback but yeah, that bridge will be burned and you won't be able to buy from them with that CC again at minimum.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fuzz posted:

https://github.com/razuhl/SSMSController

Anyone try this out with Starsector on Deck?

Having a crazy space exploration game that's pretty lightweight on the go would be enormous. Just needs to actually be playable.

I’d be very interested if you get this working.

I’m kinda surprised someone hasn’t come up with a controller profile for the game yet though.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
For what it's worth, Starsector is... playable, as is.

It's one of the first non-Steam things I tried on my deck and it wasn't too bad, I just didn't really go back to it because I couldn't figure out any kind of control scheme that I liked.

I might give that controller mod a shot, but I suspect that using the trackpad as a mouse is still going to end up being the less frustrating way to play. If you search around you can definitely find some people who at least claim that they're play Starsector on their SD on the regular.

Edit- In retrospect, I tried it before I became a trackpad convert, so I wonder if I'd be happier with the controls now.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

I don't get why but Resonance of Fate won't run on the proper resolution or aspect ratio, but what happens is I can only see a quarter of the screen and it's annoying that no settings or command line options work
And this has a verified rating for the deck

That's real odd, I played through the entire game via Deck around December with no issues other than a couple times the FPS overlay turned on by itself and I had to restart the game for it to turn off

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The only time I ever did a chargeback was when I had an order in flight with NCIX and they declared bankruptcy before I could get the item. And even that was a process!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

DoubleT2172 posted:

That's real odd, I played through the entire game via Deck around December with no issues other than a couple times the FPS overlay turned on by itself and I had to restart the game for it to turn off

yeah, no one else seems to mention this issue, and I thought it could be because the could save could be using my dekstops settings but i dunno, this is how it shows btw

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Pc/screenshot/2039604359510427853/

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

yeah, no one else seems to mention this issue, and I thought it could be because the could save could be using my dekstops settings but i dunno, this is how it shows btw

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Pc/screenshot/2039604359510427853/

Have you tried loading the save on your PC and changing resolution and then resaving and trying again? That'd be my only guess based on your thoughts

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
yeah i changed it to fullscreen 1080p but nada
eventually i should go on desktop mode and check if there's any local configs

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
So I finally decided to try cryoutilitites specifically because I felt like Beamng might be the game I want to sate my “just driving around” needs.

With cryo I can run Beamng at a steady ish 30 with nice graphics and a couple of traffic cars spawned and it’s wonderful. If I’m feeling more aggressive I can pop the graphics down a notch and add a few more cars to the pile (up).

It’s just a really nice game to cruise around in. Adding it to Motortown and Snowrunner for my “I’m a weirdo who hates driving in real life but loves the idea of driving” collection.

I’ve heard that it can negatively impact a couple of games, namely halo infinite and rdr2 but neither of those interest me right now and when they do the process is easy enough to reverse so I’m not too worried about it. I do need to replace my bad fan with the good fan though because one thing Beamng does is ramp up the temps.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Honest Thief posted:

yeah i changed it to fullscreen 1080p but nada
eventually i should go on desktop mode and check if there's any local configs

Fullscreen seems to be the setting that changes it - it had pulled my settings from my main PC (1440p) when I downloaded it just now and turning fullscreen off makes what happens in that screenshot occur. It happens instantly though so if you can get to that option (settings is two down from load game if you have a save, three down from new game if not), press LB once to get to graphics, up and then left or right should instantly change it between full and not-full screen. This is using the default compatibility settings, so Proton 8.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

uiruki posted:

Fullscreen seems to be the setting that changes it - it had pulled my settings from my main PC (1440p) when I downloaded it just now and turning fullscreen off makes what happens in that screenshot occur. It happens instantly though so if you can get to that option (settings is two down from load game if you have a save, three down from new game if not), press LB once to get to graphics, up and then left or right should instantly change it between full and not-full screen. This is using the default compatibility settings, so Proton 8.

Ooh good looking out, I'll try it later and hopefully that gets it
Thanks

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

Until you start getting the nag screens and like 5-minute countdown timers. I've switched to using a KVM switch for when I need to use a KB+M on my Deck.

That's the effect of vent smell.

Yeah VNC is free and works well on the deck.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

uiruki posted:

Yeah this worked, I had to save the game again because leaving the title screen didn't save the settings but it's good now!
Thanks 🙏

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Don't thank me, thank the new Steam game transfer function because there was no way I was downloading the game from scratch just to try but I could zap it over from my big PC. Easy!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

For me, the Steam Transfer function was WAY slower than downloading it so I just let AT&T gently caress off. I pay for uncapped internet, I'm gonna use the uncapped internet.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s still wild to me that there is capped internet in 2023

Even my first ever broadband connection was uncapped (at a blistering 2MB a second) and that was in the early 00s

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 3, 2023

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

jokes posted:

For me, the Steam Transfer function was WAY slower than downloading it so I just let AT&T gently caress off. I pay for uncapped internet, I'm gonna use the uncapped internet.

Yeah, I don't know what's up that - even between two PCs wired for ethernet it's incredibly slow compared to not using Local Network Game Transfers

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I wonder what factors into that, it's been really good for me.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Having a bad home networking setup probably

I do a bunch of moving files around for in-home streaming and other nerd poo poo with my network so I took the time to make sure everything is configured well and my local steam transfer is fast as heck

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Minecraft Dungeons is on Steam, Bedrock is still Windows Store exclusive AFAIK. Windows Store apps don't work on Linux because they require Windows-specific permissions to do their bullshit that don't fly anywhere else.

It isn't a permissions issue, Windows Store apps use the UWP API which is similar to but distinct from the Win32 API, and Wine doesn't implement at all because nobody cares.

(Nobody cares about the UWP API so much that Microsoft caved and allowed developers to package up regular Win32 applications for distribution via the Windows Store, so if you see something available both on the Windows Store and elsewhere, then that's a Win32 application. But Xbox One and Series use the UWP API, so when Microsoft makes multiplatform games like Minecraft Bedrock, they implement them as UWP apps. Games that are available both on Xbox and Steam have two versions, the UWP version and the Win32 version.)

If you really want to play Minecraft on a Steam Deck, you should install the native Minecraft Java version and add the Controllable mod.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 3, 2023

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
Reiterating that the Android version of Bedrock through the launcher on the Discovery store works perfectly fine and can play multiplayer with other Bedrock sessions.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

pig labeled 3 posted:

Reiterating that the Android version of Bedrock through the launcher on the Discovery store works perfectly fine and can play multiplayer with other Bedrock sessions.

I wish CurseForge was on Linux

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

strategery posted:

I wish CurseForge was on Linux

PrismLauncher can install and update CurseForge modpacks, among others.

edit: There are certain mods it can't automatically download because the mod authors forbid distribution by anything other than CurseForge, but it'll pop up a dialog box explaining this and if you click Open Missing it'll open up a bunch of browser tabs that redirect straight into downloading the mod and then it'll find them automatically in your Downloads folder.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 3, 2023

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I get about 30 megabytes a second when doing local transfer to my Deck with a PC connected via Ethernet, much better than the 6-7 that my home connection tops out at. Interestingly I did the same with a friend's GPD Win Max 2 and was getting 80-90 on wi-fi so I think there's definitely room for improvement on the Deck side.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s still wild to me that there is capped internet in 2023

Even my first ever broadband connection was uncapped (at a blistering 2MB a second) and that was in the early 00s

Basically all the big ISPs are trying to roll out data caps at this point, so it's probably more common now than it was when broadband first starting making real inroads. It's poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

PrismLauncher can install and update CurseForge modpacks, among others.

edit: There are certain mods it can't automatically download because the mod authors forbid distribution by anything other than CurseForge, but it'll pop up a dialog box explaining this and if you click Open Missing it'll open up a bunch of browser tabs that redirect straight into downloading the mod and then it'll find them automatically in your Downloads folder.

yeah I have an ATM8 instance on Prism Launcher and you can make a shortcut for a specific instance then add that to steam so in game mode you can launch the instance itself. Works perfectly, super easy to manage an update, and the mentioned mod issue is really a non-issue since Prism will straight up go "click on these links" then verify your download folder for the missing mods and tell you when everything is good.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

Basically all the big ISPs are trying to roll out data caps at this point, so it's probably more common now than it was when broadband first starting making real inroads. It's poo poo.

Seems to be a US thing though. It's all flatrate in Germany and as far as I know most other European countries as well, though I only know for sure about Sweden.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

pig labeled 3 posted:

This is getting way off topic sorry, but I actually don't have a steam deck. What's the discovery store and what's this launcher called? I think I can work out the rest with just a name :)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Discover is the KDE package manger for flatpak and appimage programs, and the launcher is called like mcpelauncher, iirc

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
What’s the most unnecessary feature that you wish they would add to the SteamDeck anyways? Mine is wireless charging.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

A cover for the sd slot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

At least they are finally adding in like the one thing I use from decky loader lol.

They are adding a saturation slider into the main OS.