Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm putting together resumes for two different fields, how much can I bullshit in a more overseeing/managerial position? I work remotely and I handle 4-6 contracted workers on Upwork and make sure they get their poo poo done and turned in on time and I've had to fire a few of them. Can I get away with not having references for that? I have worked at the same job for a long time and I'm trying to grab something that I can do simultaneously (managing the contractors takes like 20 minutes and I've automated the rest of my job but I don't want my current boss to know that, and so I obviously can't use him as a reference.

Wondering if I can try and find something else that's remote work and mostly just overseeing projects to make sure they don't get all hosed up. If I can't, or if that's super unreasonable, I'll just look for something remote that I can automate and then enjoy living an unemployed lifestyle but with two active income sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Red posted:

Ghosting is becoming pretty common. If you've developed a rapport with a recruiter or something, you may get the gentle letdown call, but you'll probably get an automatically-generated email in most cases.

This. I've been called with a "no" once and exactly once.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm putting together resumes for two different fields, how much can I bullshit in a more overseeing/managerial position? I work remotely and I handle 4-6 contracted workers on Upwork and make sure they get their poo poo done and turned in on time and I've had to fire a few of them. Can I get away with not having references for that? I have worked at the same job for a long time and I'm trying to grab something that I can do simultaneously (managing the contractors takes like 20 minutes and I've automated the rest of my job but I don't want my current boss to know that, and so I obviously can't use him as a reference.

Wondering if I can try and find something else that's remote work and mostly just overseeing projects to make sure they don't get all hosed up. If I can't, or if that's super unreasonable, I'll just look for something remote that I can automate and then enjoy living an unemployed lifestyle but with two active income sources.

lmao did you contract your job to 4-6 upworkers?

EDIT: "it depends." I'm unwilling to comment in detail because you're proposing a situation fraught with serious legal and ethical issues depending on the facts of your situation.

If it was me, the legal/ethics were good, and I'd automated my current job that much, I'd hold out for a goldilocks identical job. Don't try to do a new thing. Work 1 hour per day for 2x salary.

EDIT2: I only hire ICs but I frequently look for my senior ICs to have some manager experience. Personally, I sus out and discount any gig work experience. I've also managed upworkers and it is nothing like managing a team of employees. Saying you managed gig workers when I ask about management experience means you know nothing about management of a real team in my book.

EDIT3: You were the guy that did lead gen and mentioned Lexis! Im guessing you outsourced your lead gen to some upworkers. I have used upworkers for lead gen and I personally wrote web scrapers for lead gen that used upworkers as part of an enrichment flow. I still use upworkers for odd job side projects and for hiring attorneys. It is nothing like managing my actual team of SDRs who I happily pay >$50k/yr instead of $6/hr. Nothing.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 3, 2023

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I think I need someone with actual experience to look at my CV and gut it to shreds to put back together.

How, and where, would I go about doing that? I think someone does that but it’s for resumes…?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

teen witch posted:

I think I need someone with actual experience to look at my CV and gut it to shreds to put back together.

How, and where, would I go about doing that? I think someone does that but it’s for resumes…?

You can post it ITT, there are several hiring managers.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Awesome, ok. Let me figure out a way to fully anonymize this, as the issue with my position is that it’s kind of a mix of two, and is pretty distinctive to doxx. Mainly, I’m looking how to loving reduce block of text into like, three salient statements.

Thanks!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

teen witch posted:

Awesome, ok. Let me figure out a way to fully anonymize this, as the issue with my position is that it’s kind of a mix of two, and is pretty distinctive to doxx. Mainly, I’m looking how to loving reduce block of text into like, three salient statements.

Thanks!

General advice:

Focus on accomplishments, responsibilities comes second. That will better define your role and its what hiring managers want to see anyway. No one's job fits neatly into 1 role.

Don't be afraid to have multiple resumes targeting different roles and sectors. Emphasize one part of your job for one, another for another. There's no law that says you can only have 1 immutable resume. Lots of people have a resume for IC type jobs and another for Project Management type jobs.

You don't need everything in your resume. Tell a story. You can explain the details in person.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

lmao did you contract your job to 4-6 upworkers?

EDIT: "it depends." I'm unwilling to comment in detail because you're proposing a situation fraught with serious legal and ethical issues depending on the facts of your situation.

If it was me, the legal/ethics were good, and I'd automated my current job that much, I'd hold out for a goldilocks identical job. Don't try to do a new thing. Work 1 hour per day for 2x salary.

EDIT2: I only hire ICs but I frequently look for my senior ICs to have some manager experience. Personally, I sus out and discount any gig work experience. I've also managed upworkers and it is nothing like managing a team of employees. Saying you managed gig workers when I ask about management experience means you know nothing about management of a real team in my book.

EDIT3: You were the guy that did lead gen and mentioned Lexis! Im guessing you outsourced your lead gen to some upworkers. I have used upworkers for lead gen and I personally wrote web scrapers for lead gen that used upworkers as part of an enrichment flow. I still use upworkers for odd job side projects and for hiring attorneys. It is nothing like managing my actual team of SDRs who I happily pay >$50k/yr instead of $6/hr. Nothing.

I didn’t even outsource it, honestly, my boss just decided to start using contracted workers because it’s cheaper and easier, I’m basically the wrangler. We’ve had the same team of 3 for like a year now. I’m “officially” the manager/coordinator. They send stuff daily, log 6-7 hours I think. It’s not exactly like being an in office manager or probably like being a manager at all, but still.

And yeah that’s me, still doing it although we stopped using lexis, I wrote a thing that pulled stuff from lexis too fast and in two months we used the site so much they wanted an insanely high monthly fee to use it based on our use data, whoops. Probably shouldn’t have ran it overnight. I use a free site now, works well enough and the upwork guys can also use it.

I’m not opposed to finding an “identical Goldilocks job” but it’s difficult to find remote work that isn’t sales and calling people, apparently.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
hey quick question.

I had a recruiter from a well-known, older company reach out and say he had a position he wanted to run past me, and I said hey ok let's chat, what ya got. After ignoring (or not getting due to their recruiting system) my responses and not providing much in the way of useful details, he waits several weeks and then sends me a zoom invite for a pre-screen out of the blue. He then was a no-show on that meeting and when I (politely) said hey wtf, he said without apology that the invite was wrong and it's actually for the next day, then sent another. Meanwhile, although the zoom link for the company is legit, the specific title he referenced doesn't appear to be on its careers site.

I'm not actively looking, but I do generally chat with recruiters when they come along. This one has been uniquely difficult however. I am available for the next one he's scheduled but at this point I'm not sure I want to bother.

How much time is worth spending on this trying not to needlessly burn bridges, and either way, what's the best way to turn a recruiter down not so much because the position/company/whatever isn't right but because he doesn't seem to have his act together?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Iridium posted:

hey quick question.

I had a recruiter from a well-known, older company reach out and say he had a position he wanted to run past me, and I said hey ok let's chat, what ya got. After ignoring (or not getting due to their recruiting system) my responses and not providing much in the way of useful details, he waits several weeks and then sends me a zoom invite for a pre-screen out of the blue. He then was a no-show on that meeting and when I (politely) said hey wtf, he said without apology that the invite was wrong and it's actually for the next day, then sent another. Meanwhile, although the zoom link for the company is legit, the specific title he referenced doesn't appear to be on its careers site.

I'm not actively looking, but I do generally chat with recruiters when they come along. This one has been uniquely difficult however. I am available for the next one he's scheduled but at this point I'm not sure I want to bother.

How much time is worth spending on this trying not to needlessly burn bridges, and either way, what's the best way to turn a recruiter down not so much because the position/company/whatever isn't right but because he doesn't seem to have his act together?

You know, I might suggest looking at that company on LinkedIn and reaching out to a different recruiter, noting you had some difficulty connecting, but are really interested in their opportunities.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Him not having his act together should tell you an awful lot about what he's peddling. You can just send an email saying "Thank you for the time but I am no longer interested" and be done with it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

Him not having his act together should tell you an awful lot about what he's peddling. You can just send an email saying "Thank you for the time but I am no longer interested" and be done with it.

This is good if you dont want the job.

If you dont mind the time of the zoom interview, then it prob couldn't hurt, but the probability of it actually being worth going to seems low...but thats job hunting.

Thumbtacks posted:

I didn’t even outsource it, honestly, my boss just decided to start using contracted workers because it’s cheaper and easier, I’m basically the wrangler. We’ve had the same team of 3 for like a year now. I’m “officially” the manager/coordinator. They send stuff daily, log 6-7 hours I think. It’s not exactly like being an in office manager or probably like being a manager at all, but still.

And yeah that’s me, still doing it although we stopped using lexis, I wrote a thing that pulled stuff from lexis too fast and in two months we used the site so much they wanted an insanely high monthly fee to use it based on our use data, whoops. Probably shouldn’t have ran it overnight. I use a free site now, works well enough and the upwork guys can also use it.

I’m not opposed to finding an “identical Goldilocks job” but it’s difficult to find remote work that isn’t sales and calling people, apparently.

Ahh thats the good facts. Think on what other businesses have a very similar problem. e.g. if you're doing lead gen for lawyers, what other service based businesses need leads that way and are big enough to staff a team of lead gen thats different than SDRs? Its probably a small niche but thats the goldilocks part.

For example:
- Bigger regional plumber/electrical contractors (the kind with 100s of employees)
- Law firms in other areas of practice (e.g. maybe you currently do debt collection firms, but maybe class action firms have a related need)
- Process servers that want to land new law firms.

Obvs service based is just an example...and is the tough example. This works way better with SaaS with a >$20K LTV. It can prob still work down to businesses with a >$5K avg LTV though.

EDIT: Anyway the point is don't talk up being a manager too much. Mention it and be honest about the nature of it. Talk up your ability to manage teams like that to achieve sales and business goals.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 3, 2023

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Excellent advice, thank you. I still am not particularly confident in my resume, I definitely need to work on it, but I’ll get there. Need to figure out the best way to post jobs and what I did at those jobs in a way that people will actually care about

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

CarForumPoster posted:

This is good if you dont want the job.

If you dont mind the time of the zoom interview, then it prob couldn't hurt, but the probability of it actually being worth going to seems low...but thats job hunting.

thanks, this is probably what I'll do. If we have another round of it I'll just decline and suggest I'm not looking.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

teen witch posted:

CarForumPoster posted:

You can post it ITT, there are several hiring managers.

it should not need to be said, but naturally, nobody should post any PII or anything that could dox you. sanitize the poo poo out of anything posted in this thread please and thanks.

edit: also read the guidelines in OP for things to do before posting a CV or resume

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

pmchem posted:

it should not need to be said, but naturally, nobody should post any PII or anything that could dox you. sanitize the poo poo out of anything posted in this thread please and thanks.

edit: also read the guidelines in OP for things to do before posting a CV or resume

post your ssn for max resume help

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
I've always felt a stool sample is what makes a resume pop.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

CarForumPoster posted:

post your ssn for max resume help

hunter2

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Huh, that's interesting

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
brief update, recruiter no-call no-showed to his second invite too.

gently caress you, Kevin.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hey I got laid off for the first time ever today :toot:

Haven't written a resume since 2015 (and I can't find that one for some reason anyway) so I'm starting over. The resume advice in the OP is real good (thanks!) so I'm starting with that of course. The thing I'm worried about though is that I know resumes nowadays get shredded through automated systems that rip out bits of information to filter by, and your actual resume won't even get seen by a person until it's through a few layers of that process. I'd think as a result you'd want to format it in as simple and standardized a way as you possibly can so the automated tools have the best chance of properly extracting the information. Thing is, I have no idea what a ISO Standard Computer-Readable Resume should look like. Do I just like, google "resume template" and pick the first one?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shame Boy posted:

Hey I got laid off for the first time ever today :toot:

Haven't written a resume since 2015 (and I can't find that one for some reason anyway) so I'm starting over. The resume advice in the OP is real good (thanks!) so I'm starting with that of course. The thing I'm worried about though is that I know resumes nowadays get shredded through automated systems that rip out bits of information to filter by, and your actual resume won't even get seen by a person until it's through a few layers of that process. I'd think as a result you'd want to format it in as simple and standardized a way as you possibly can so the automated tools have the best chance of properly extracting the information. Thing is, I have no idea what a ISO Standard Computer-Readable Resume should look like. Do I just like, google "resume template" and pick the first one?

Use the first one in Microsoft word and upload it to some job application that tries to extract your resume into independent sections. If it did it properly, great. If not, play with it and try again

I haven’t applied for a job in a long while but it used to be indeed did this and Taleo the HR/ATS software would too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Use the first one in Microsoft word and upload it to some job application that tries to extract your resume into independent sections. If it did it properly, great. If not, play with it and try again

Oh I didn't realize there were publicly available sites that you can test this with, that's perfect thanks.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Iridium posted:

brief update, recruiter no-call no-showed to his second invite too.

gently caress you, Kevin.

Shout out to Lockback for calling it

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shame Boy posted:

Oh I didn't realize there were publicly available sites that you can test this with, that's perfect thanks.

You prob can’t test the keyword extraction per se, but if your resume imports beautifully then you’re prob golden. If stuff is missing or not where it should then you can suspect it’s gonna gently caress up on the ones you cant test

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

You prob can’t test the keyword extraction per se, but if your resume imports beautifully then you’re prob golden. If stuff is missing or not where it should then you can suspect it’s gonna gently caress up on the ones you cant test

Yeah I figured the particular algorithms would be ~secret sauce~ that they don't want people to see but you're right there's no reason something that parses out in a more basic system shouldn't have a decent chance of working with the actual one.

Mostly just worried because the job I had before this last one was writing software that more or less specifically did that for marketing documents and slideshows rather than resumes, and holy gently caress are there a lot of ways to generate documents that Office itself can open just fine but things like the Microsoft-written and supplied libraries for parsing office documents (which the resume-parsing software is most definitely using) would poo poo the bed with. Like it was so bad that we actually ran instances of Office on servers to process certain tasks rather than use the official libraries.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also here's a fun thing people don't generally realize while I'm on the topic: Office is (or at least was as of 2014 when I last had to care about this) specifically designed to be "what you see is what you get" with regards to printing. What that means in practice is opening a document on a different computer with different printer settings will re-format the document to how it would look when printed on that computer's printer. Most people never notice this (because how often are you going to change the default printer settings to a completely different shape of paper) but oh man did it ever cause some fun weird bullshit.

PDF is specifically a format for exact page layouts, where the page size is explicitly part of the document, so it doesn't have this problem. It's got lots of other fun problems, but not this one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It'll also look different when editing in the browser vs editing in the application for bonus fun. Took me a full year to convince a former boss to stop loving with people's work on her Surface and then complaining that other people had messed it up when she looked at it on her home PC later.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It's worth noting that there is a big difference between a resume that is crappy because someone clearly didn't spend more than 2 minutes on it and a resume that had the formatting go wonky. When hiring managers complain about bad resumes, we're talking about the former. Not to say you shouldn't try to make them appear good in whatever format, but good content will shine through, spend your time there.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

It's worth noting that there is a big difference between a resume that is crappy because someone clearly didn't spend more than 2 minutes on it and a resume that had the formatting go wonky. When hiring managers complain about bad resumes, we're talking about the former. Not to say you shouldn't try to make them appear good in whatever format, but good content will shine through, spend your time there.

Id say an exception to this is Indeed or other major job sites that let employers do cold outreach. Often they only show a partial, semi redacted version of your resume. Your content can't shine through because we dont see it, but we do see your ALL CAPS JOB TITLES because indeed sucked them in wrong. Also I have seen it say like "Bachelors degree" when they actually have a masters. Indeeds not great, but if your job is no longer your job, it becomes job hunting in which case optimize optimize optimize. Put that resume on indeed, LinkedIn, etc. Make them beautiful. Make sure they work with the ATSes. etc.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 6, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think I've got a good resume going. I noticed in the OP that you should never put "references available upon request," does that mean I should just... not put references, and let them ask me for them? Or put them and warn said references that they could get a call at any moment for the next like, month or longer?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

I think I've got a good resume going. I noticed in the OP that you should never put "references available upon request," does that mean I should just... not put references, and let them ask me for them? Or put them and warn said references that they could get a call at any moment for the next like, month or longer?

Wait for an employer to ask you for a reference.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lockback posted:

Wait for an employer to ask you for a reference.

Got it, thanks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My experience is references are kind of pointless. Most previous employers will say "yes they person worked there". The people who will say something that you offer up just say "the person rocks". Cool and all I suppose but I put almost zero weight on them outside of confirming you did work on the projects you said you did.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

spwrozek posted:

My experience is references are kind of pointless. Most previous employers will say "yes they person worked there". The people who will say something that you offer up just say "the person rocks". Cool and all I suppose but I put almost zero weight on them outside of confirming you did work on the projects you said you did.

That's still pretty useful. Basically another data point that you're who you say you are and not someone who memorized the answers to the top 100 most asked whiteboard coding problems or whatever.

But that's more of a problem with how a lot of places interview in my field. It feels like every company is run by the Riddler trying to recruit riddle solving cronies, and not actually asking questions related to the work you do.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I don't know anything about coding interviews. I guess different for my engineering field. The software is so expensive that if you don't know how to use it/work a project it becomes very apparent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

spwrozek posted:

I can think of two times I've checked references and glad I was. One time was to essentially confirm a prospects story that seemed fishy (it wasn't fishy, it was just a weird situation), and another time I was on the fence on a candidate and the reference basically said "I can't say anything bad so I won't say anything at all".

That said, I've interviewed hundreds of people in my career so it's literally 99% of the time I haven't bothered with references and don't feel like I missed anything.

Chainclaw posted:

But that's more of a problem with how a lot of places interview in my field. It feels like every company is run by the Riddler trying to recruit riddle solving cronies, and not actually asking questions related to the work you do.

Yeah, that is a real problem. The people who do that don't care much about references though, and the people who are trying to dig deeper have better ways of doing that.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, big grain of salt required. Years ago I got asked to be a referee for a former direct report after I'd left our lovely workplace. You bet I gave him the most glowing reference ever even though he was an average to meh employee, because he was getting bullied badly after I left and needed an escape route. Also I was/am a petty jerk who was happy to see that toxic shithole lose yet another person.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Another question: I went to college for 2 years but never graduated. In that time, I did quite a lot of coursework that was very relevant to my field. Do I include it at all on my resume?

I was thinking just something like:

[school] [years]
Coursework in computer touching and computer rubbing

e: To be clear I have 12+ years of actual professional experience in front of this so it's not like it matters that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
tbh if you didn't actually get a degree no one is going to count it for anything.