Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Couldn't that potentially be a crime? Knowingly helping somebody impersonate another person or organization sounds like something that is probably illegal. At the very least it sounds like something somebody could be sued over. The mere threat of it might be considered blackmail.

It's not a crime no. But it's an incredibly stupid, short-sighted, and infantile decision that has a chilling effect and scares away more organizations if he makes it.

So lets hope he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

"sure i called you a hosed up little fart gremlin, told everyone you suck poo poo out of assholes and are responsible for several baby murders. But whats the beef??? I apologised didnt i????? Grt back on my platform and make me money you hosed up fart gremlin!!!"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

As long as whoever gets the handle doesn't actually claim to be NPR then it's whatever, he may do the stupid petty thing, he paid 44 billies for the right to be a manchild.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Kinda weird that Elom derides mainstream news so much, yet apparently yearns for them to post on his hellsite.

e: I'd actually like to see him pull @NPR and give it to one of his Dogestans. It would just validate NPR's "Twitter under Musk can't be trusted" position, and encourage other outlets to abandon it as well.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Seriously don't skip this article lol:

npr posted:

National Pumpkin Radio," Musk wrote, adding a fire emoji and a laughing emoji to describe the content of the fictional gourd-themed broadcaster.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Durzel posted:

Kinda weird that Elom derides mainstream news so much, yet apparently yearns for them to post on his hellsite.

e: I'd actually like to see him pull @NPR and give it to one of his Dogestans. It would just validate NPR's "Twitter under Musk can't be trusted" position, and encourage other outlets to abandon it as well.

it would probably incentivise a "quiet quitting" approach where companies drastically reduce their use of twitter but don't entirely stop (maybe post only their very highest-profile announcements) and don't under any circumstances announce that they're stopping or reducing their use.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Hammerite posted:

it would probably incentivise a "quiet quitting" approach where companies drastically reduce their use of twitter but don't entirely stop (maybe post only their very highest-profile announcements) and don't under any circumstances announce that they're stopping or reducing their use.

This approach would still be hilarious because it makes me imagine Musk sweating and panicking and stepping on rake after rake as the screen time and engagement metrics just gradually taper off.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

business genius has done it again
https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1653568922732625920

also dril has a checkmark again

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Yeah its way too small for the current tech. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/advancements-in-prosthetics-limb-technology-allow-feeling-control-60-minutes-transcript-2023-03-26/

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
"This account is verified"

???

What does it verify? It doesn't even verify that someone paid for "verification" since a ton of people have it when they didn't pay. Just call it an e-peen checkmark and style it accordingly at this point.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Wait, can I just make a verified account with a burner email and a visa gift card?

Is that the barrier to entry for verification?

Words mean things Elon

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

Durzel posted:

True, also it could be very interesting, from that same article:

"Our policy is to recycle handles that are definitively dormant," Musk wrote in another email. "Same policy applies to all accounts. No special treatment for NPR."

Claim your Trump account now!!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Mynameismud posted:

"Our policy is to recycle handles that are definitively dormant," Musk wrote in another email. "Same policy applies to all accounts. No special treatment for NPR."

Do it, bitch. Make your site so toxic and lovely that no reputable advertisers dare go near.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I keep on clicking to learn more, and I'm not learning any more. I always want to learn more!!!

This is like Starship Troopers all over again. :(

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Mynameismud posted:

True, also it could be very interesting, from that same article:

Claim your Trump account now!!

Hmm... surely there has to be at least one other guy named Donald Trump out there who would be willing to demand the @realDonaldTrump account, right?

Force his hand!

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

When even other rightwing shitheads don't like you....

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 3, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Is there anyone Garrison hasn't turned on at this point?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

...! posted:

Hmm... surely there has to be at least one other guy named Donald Trump out there who would be willing to demand the @realDonaldTrump account, right?

Force his hand!

Junior finally makes his play for dominance.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's not a crime no. But it's an incredibly stupid, short-sighted, and infantile decision that has a chilling effect and scares away more organizations if he makes it.

So lets hope he does.

It's extremely illegal and why Twitter had the whole verification system in the first place, specifically because there was a large defamation suit about someone being allowed to impersonate a public figure on Twitter.

It's honestly incredible. Musk is stepping on so many rakes it makes you wonder if he's even capable of basic human functionality. Like he's reaching levels of so mind numbingly stupid that it makes you wonder if he even has control over his bowels anymore or he just shits himself and makes his maids clean it up.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

kazil posted:

also dril has a checkmark again

because of the I eat poo poo post, what a child

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

IBroughttheFunk posted:

lol that the censored drawing is the "we want the cum" one

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

dr_rat posted:

Is there anyone Garrison hasn't turned on at this point?

I thought we agreed to not talk about the cartoon with Pelosi's knockers

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

ishikabibble posted:

It's extremely illegal and why Twitter had the whole verification system in the first place, specifically because there was a large defamation suit about someone being allowed to impersonate a public figure on Twitter.

It's honestly incredible. Musk is stepping on so many rakes it makes you wonder if he's even capable of basic human functionality. Like he's reaching levels of so mind numbingly stupid that it makes you wonder if he even has control over his bowels anymore or he just shits himself and makes his maids clean it up.

It's only illegal if it can be linked by evidence to actual illegal activities. The whole "verified" thing was a big self-governance step to keep the government from making rules and poo poo, because most businesses realize that "flex on your own or bend over backwards at the government's pace" is a hell of a precedent to set and an expensive one, to boot.

I can't speak for Euro/GDPR rules, but it's not illegal in the U.S., though it is a civilly liable deliberate action.

Withnail posted:

because of the I eat poo poo post, what a child

I bet dril's blocked from another name change "for some reason :rolleyes:" :lmao:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Garrison's the type of person Elon's been sucking up to for quite a while now lol.

He still wouldn't buy any of Elon's cars.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Cat turd 2 is the garrison we have at home

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Beachcomber posted:

It was BIG when it was just the few books out. Marketing, yes, but...my grasp of theory is rudimentary, but... could there be something about being escapist fantasy for the End of History era?

Gen X/millennial malaise about steady work and a life in the suburbs being the most you can hope for? What if you're actually special but no one's got around to telling you yet? Also, the US didn't have all the boarding school stuff, it was all brand new.

Straight up. For a long time, I remember hearing and reading a few articles attempting to explain Japan's tendency to politely look the other way for people having what might've at one time to the West seemed really childish or dweeby or obsessive. At least in part, the explanations given in each mentioned the extreme work culture and poor work/life balance to abundance of supposedly "juvenile" hobbies. Basically, people give everything of themselves away at work, so what little recreational time Japanese working adults are afforded, they go extra hard.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Mistle posted:

It's only illegal if it can be linked by evidence to actual illegal activities. The whole "verified" thing was a big self-governance step to keep the government from making rules and poo poo, because most businesses realize that "flex on your own or bend over backwards at the government's pace" is a hell of a precedent to set and an expensive one, to boot.

I can't speak for Euro/GDPR rules, but it's not illegal in the U.S., though it is a civilly liable deliberate action.

I bet dril's blocked from another name change "for some reason :rolleyes:" :lmao:

At the very least, it's grounds for a civil case citing damages to their company and npr is big enough they could throw their hat in that if they wanted to.

E: derp you said that

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

explosivo posted:

I thought we agreed to not talk about the cartoon with Pelosi's knockers

We agreed to nothing of the sort. :colbert:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Cat turd 2 is the garrison we have at home

they don't seem that similar to me. garrison is bombastic and enthusiastic about promoting his terrible opinions through his cartoons. cat turd is peevish and constantly complaining that twitter just isn't being faaaaaaaaaaaaaair to him

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is Garrison on the woke or shitposter side of the coalition?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Sockser posted:

Is Garrison on the woke or shitposter side of the coalition?

Is this a serious question? Bare in mind he routinely draws comics with an incredibly muscular trump flexing and punching da libs.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Is this a serious question? Bare in mind he routinely draws comics with an incredibly muscular trump flexing and punching da libs.

But if you have only seen cum edits

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

To be fair, the karl marx garrison edits are much, much funnier and also much better because they make garrison himself get very, very mad.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just had someone at work start proselytizing about Elon Musk out of nowhere, he's actually a very smart guy who has done a lot of great things and apparently he might be Anon because if you think about it isn't it weird that Anonymous hasn't done anything to Elon or any of his companies yet??? Even when we had a tracker for Elon's plane???

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Viscous Soda posted:

It's amazing. Every week, maybe even every day, I'm like "This is it, Mush has reached the maximum level of patheticness"... and then he just keeps on digging. I mean he has more money than some countries, and I'm just looking at this online meltdown thinking "At least I'm not that pathetic".

He has spent a lot of time, a LOT of money, and has disrupted the infrastructural stability of companies and, in some cases, governments, to force a toxic relationship with a slice of the internet and, despite loathing him with rapidly increasing intensity, that slice hasn't worked up the nerve to sever yet. If you pay enough attention to him online, whether you want to or not, you become part of his virtual girlfriend hivemind, and he's going to keep buying platforms and services in order to keep you from leaving him like everyone else does.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

explosivo posted:

Just had someone at work start proselytizing about Elon Musk out of nowhere, he's actually a very smart guy who has done a lot of great things and apparently he might be Anon because if you think about it isn't it weird that Anonymous hasn't done anything to Elon or any of his companies yet??? Even when we had a tracker for Elon's plane???

You're right, his van remains un-exploded!!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Not gonna lie, Twitter has been greatly improved and far more enjoyable to me ever since this Blue Check verification thing went into effect.

Spending about half an hour each day going through Elon Musk, Tate, Peterson, and Libs of Tiktok tweets and running the auto-blocker script is not only oddly cathartic, but my Twitter feed and replies have become more supportive and wholesome.

Who would have guessed that the people who have horrible opinions would willingly place themselves into an easily segregated and eliminated category like this. It's fantastic.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
It's rapidly approaching/blew past being like, "Stormfront isn't such a bad place when you block all the Nazis"

You are still on Stormfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I bet Stormfront has like a cooking subforum, an arts & crafts subforum,