Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Just got a tier 3 unit as a reward from the second neutral camp I cleared. Turn 3. Things are gonna get wacky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
The biggest change is probably the draft resource, which is used to recruit units instead of production. Speeds up the pacing and likely number of armies and fights since you can build up your city and recruit at the same time.

The unit roles seem to have a lot more formation synergy. There's a rock/paper/scissors thing with shields units/shock units/spear units that I don't recall from 3 either. Also, all in combat healing is temporary healing.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Corbeau posted:

What makes AoW4 distinct from 3?

The customization options have exploded, the ways to build your faction have expanded by orders of magnitude.

The 4X aspect is much more involved than 3, with small tall vassalized empires being a strong option for army building.

Health values are up in 4, slowing down combat a bit and making flanking and status effects very important.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
I had good 10 hours of gameplay with only 3 crashes on a 3080 card but I hit a wall where I can't progress any longer.

After my last crash I found out that my last 5 autosaves do not load but a far away quicksave did. But trying to manual save from that point tells me I have no more free save slots in this session and I have to free space, I have 165+ free GB on my only disk and only 4 manual saves. Any way to salvage this or do I have to restart?

Edit: the quicksave still crashes the moment I enter combat o pass turn so the run is dead regardless if I can save or not.

AParadox fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 3, 2023

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Corbeau posted:

As someone who enjoyed but burned out on AoW3, having played the series from the start, I'm curious about 4 but can't help feeling like the formula is worn out by this point. What have they done to shake it up, if anything? I admit being curious about how the siege mechanics are working out, because playing whack-a-mole with sneaky city-capping was never fun.

To play devil's advocate, and, to be clear, I think 4 is a really good game so far (played 3 hours or so last night), but the minute to minute gameplay feels very close to AoW3 (I've played many hours of that over the last few weeks in anticipation). If you loved 3, as I do, that's obviously good, but if you are burned out, I doubt you'd find this fresh enough to grab you back in.

The things listed above, the customisable factions and don't do much towards making it feel radically different. Nor do the siege mechanics. Just my opinion.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

What am I supposed to do with my lovely Tier 1 units once I get better ones?

Tier 1 units will upgrade to Tier 2 units with enough XP.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Love the pacing so far. Also loving the depth of customization. Finished my first game in under 5 hours with a lot of auto resolving which is now also very good. On to the first story realm to see more of their pre-built stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

orangelex44 posted:

In my opinion yes. Setting aside, Planetfall has a notably different core philosophy driving development. If AOW4 can be summed up in one word as “customization”, Planetfall is “utilization”. Every unit is a viable build-around strategic option in Planetfall, from your basic scouts and marines all the way up to tanks and walking aircraft carriers. For all the weird little interactions that AOW4 has, Planetfall has more - unit modding is a fundamental aspect of the game. As the newer game AOW4 fixes some long-standing issues in the genre but in other areas it also… I don’t want to say “backslides” per se, but it takes a different tack that I don’t prefer. AOW4 is the broader game, Planetfall is deep. It always felt to me like Planetfall was dealt a disservice by the sci-fi setting, that turned a lot of people off for no reason.
I've said it before but while I really enjoy Planetfall as a game, two of the launch factions being human and three of the remaining four being "humans but..." is not what a lot of people come to for a scifi setting. Even that incredibly boring but very large proportion of people who always play the human faction of whatever game they're playing still want to fight against the weird aliens.

Also the secret tech names are a bit opaque.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jack Trades posted:

Tier 1 units will upgrade to Tier 2 units with enough XP.

No they won't. There are some specific units which can evolve into higher tiered ones (mostly baby Spiders/Hellhounds/Pigs becoming adult tier 3 or 4 versions) but in general units are always whatever tier they start as.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Zore posted:

No they won't. There are some specific units which can evolve into higher tiered ones (mostly baby Spiders/Hellhounds/Pigs becoming adult tier 3 or 4 versions) but in general units are always whatever tier they start as.

Feudal peasants also do, which I assume was the confusion point.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zore posted:

I literally just watched my Peasant Pikemen turn into Defenders once they maxed out their XP. Twice.
I haven't built a single Defender unit and I have two of them in my main army.

Prism posted:

Feudal peasants also do, which I assume was the confusion point.

Oh, I see.
Is there any way to know which units can "evolve" and which can't?

EDIT: There's an "Evolve" tag on those units if you inspect them.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 3, 2023

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
They will have a unit trait that says they will evolve.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jack Trades posted:

Oh, I see.
Is there any way to know which units can "evolve" and which can't?

The ones that can have an ability that says so.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Corbeau posted:

As someone who enjoyed but burned out on AoW3, having played the series from the start, I'm curious about 4 but can't help feeling like the formula is worn out by this point. What have they done to shake it up, if anything? I admit being curious about how the siege mechanics are working out, because playing whack-a-mole with sneaky city-capping was never fun.

While I feel useless for suggesting it since A) you might have and B) I can't recommend anyone except maybe quill18 but I've not watched his videos; it sounds like doing some casual watching might be in order for you to see if its for you.

Jack Trades posted:

I wish the game had a proper anti-aliasing method or at least DLSS because the god awful aliasing hurts my eyes.
The performance is pretty poor also, so I can't brute force it with supersampling either, unfortunately.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1669000/discussions/1/3828666171743794345/

Not sure if this might help, not sure if someone already posted about it here.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Those elemental spirit summons will evolve, as will spiders. I was pretty surprised to mouse over and find my army suddenly had a tier 4 spider matriarch. It's a cool mechanic if you have the right units.

For other t1 units, there's an (order IIRC) tome that gives big buffs to t1 units if you want to keep them. Otherwise, yeah, ablative armor in tough fights.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 3, 2023

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Anybody been workin on a wiki yet, or something like the fantastic planetfall reference here? Mostly at this point I'd love to just see a chart of all the various unique province improvements so I can plan around em.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Corbeau posted:

There's some different paradigms in battles now. There's this rock paper scissors thing going with melee where charge units gain damage per hex traveled that turn (distance measured "as the crow flies" it seems) and cancel defense modes, shield units have very strong defense modes, and polearm units are immune to charges. 3 had a similar deal going on with swords vs cavalry vs polearms, but here charge/cav units can't really fall back on just smacking people. They need the charge bonuses to deal damage so you can't just spam them to win, and shield units having this increased focus on defense mode play is substantially different (their defense modes give buffs to surrounding units too). There's lots of little changes like 1 hex scoot bringing your units down to 2 ap and hit chances being in that certainly give battles a different texture. On the whole I'd say that battles strongly resemble battles in 3 in "feel" but are definitely not a repeat.

The strat map is quite a bit different I'd say. City management is much more complex and engaging. The healing changes mean that your war parties are in a constant ebb and flow of sallying forth -> coming back to lick their wounds that wasn't present at all in 3. The tome structure means that your available techs change dynamically over the course of the game, which makes build considerations very different. The story events that litter your turns are neat too.

On the whole while definitely still an age of wonders game through and through I would say that 4 is a pretty significant departure from "the formula" in the details. There's a lot of different considerations but like, it's still an age of wonders game. it's gonna feel the same on some level

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 3, 2023

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Eschatos posted:

Anybody been workin on a wiki yet, or something like the fantastic planetfall reference here? Mostly at this point I'd love to just see a chart of all the various unique province improvements so I can plan around em.
You're in luck, the same creator made an AoW4 version :)
https://minionsart.github.io/aow4db/

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'd be upset that no one reads OP's but I guess that's on me for not making it clear so that's made more clear now. :ohdear:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I did not know about the series and I have never played them. The game feels fresh and exciting, so :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

What am I supposed to do with my lovely Tier 1 units once I get better ones?

I have a feeling that gold for gold, T1s with some buffs are pretty good actually.

I took out a fire giant by just pelting it with javelins from a stack of T1 skirmishers and only lost half a squad.

Sunderers are really quite good btw, their javs are a decent one pip ability they can use every turn and they also function as light melee infantry as well, as well as ignoring attacks of opportunity, so you can run them right through the enemy formation and turn everyone into pincushions, or stab them as convenient.

Because the javs do sundered defence they're also great for swarming high tier units with lots of armour, keep pelting them and they lose a lot of damage resistance.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 3, 2023

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

having to wait for manual combats to finish to do just about anything in multiplayer games is rough lol

also game needs more light cavalry.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I have a feeling that gold for gold, T1s with some buffs are pretty good actually.

Yeah, that's kind of what I felt about my dark warriors in a run I completed earlier today.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

OwlFancier posted:

I took out a fire giant by just pelting it with javelins from a stack of T1 skirmishers and only lost half a squad.

Sunderers are really quite good btw, their javs are a decent one pip ability they can use every turn and they also function as light melee infantry as well, as well as ignoring attacks of opportunity, so you can run them right through the enemy formation and turn everyone into pincushions, or stab them as convenient.

Because the javs do sundered defence they're also great for swarming high tier units with lots of armour, keep pelting them and they lose a lot of damage resistance.

Same for me, have managed to get a lot of mileage out of t1 units and if they die they are easy and cheap to replace

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Especially with the changes to how armies join battles it's very easy to just sling a stack of basic troops into a fight, and with the ability to do things like shut down ranged units just by standing next to them, it's quite valuable I feel. A lovely unit can really make life difficult for a high tier unit just by being a speedbump.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
And its rare for a tier 1 to just evaporate in a single attack unlike AoW3. Even the squishy baby spiders and such can soak up a surprising amount of punishment if you throw out the animal buff or bolster them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I played a tough race with materium and arcane and I barely lost any T1 units the whole game, they were like champion and elite rank across the board by the end, turns out piles of free defense, resistance, and healing is pretty good

That said once you have the econ to support stacks of T2+ they don't seem as worthwhile as upgraded PF units - but then again there are tomes with T1 buffs, so very possible there's a setup where you can make a ton of low upkeep armies and just go into every fight with 18 units fairly early in the game

I'm running through all the Malazan races, on to the next :v:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
As with AOW3, T1 units are fine right up until they aren’t. That sounds flippant, but hear me out: at some point your battle stack (or 6 or of 18) gets maxed out in unit quantity and the only way to get stronger is with unit quality. Aside from that, you also run into issues using lower-tier units that your raw stats just aren’t enough to compete. You can go one, maybe two tiers up but three tiers is a *lot* of disadvantage in damage/defenses/hp. Not to mention that basically every AOW4 T1 unit has no extra force multiplier/support abilities to speak of. Once T1 units start feeling weak they tend to drop off hard.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 3, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah. Jokes about ablative armor aside, normally once I acquire higher tier units I just stop producing new lower tier ones, but I keep using what I have. If they die they get replaced but they're still useful enough not to disband, especially since they probably have a few ranks by then.

Dungeons are one notable reason to have at least one stack of higher tier stuff, though. And if the game gets to the point where both sides are throwing around 18 unit stacks a quantity advantage starts to matter much less.

Also I was just looking at the database and it looks like tier 4/5 units all seem to have imperium upkeep costs, so those will probably remain rare no matter how long the game goes.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 3, 2023

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Babe Magnet posted:

having to wait for manual combats to finish to do just about anything in multiplayer games is rough lol

also game needs more light cavalry.

I'd love to see opt-in "play as the other side" as a choice to see more player vs player manual fights (Opt-in at the same screen as starting the fight to be fair) and Opt-in "Co-op" that splits your army (with the assist players going after the main one who has their spells and leaders and all that) just to add a dash of flavour.

But yeah, always been a pain in this franchise. Especially if its one you can't even spectate.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

a feature like Total Warhams has, where you can give a couple of units to someone else and they fight the battle with you, would be dope.

but yeah honestly if you could just spectate that would be loads better

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I encountered the first legit annoying thing in my third game: If an ally makes a dumb as gently caress attack that catches one of your armies as a reinforcement.

Would love to be able to decline joining a combat that you didn't initiate!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

drat that’s a top tier name.

I’m stuck at work, and am living vicariously through all of the posts and stories. Please keep them coming until about 5:40 MST when I can be home and playing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

second win on hard lets goooooo. I keep forgetting to take screenshots of the win screen lol

the zealotry and related tomes are fun as hell

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm 3 wins deep and I've been finding T1/2 units incredibly strong, and haven't been bothering much with t3+ units. Houndmasters are a T2 that can carry virtually the entire game for you, Wildspeakers are equally good. A stack of 5-6 Houndmasters/Wildspeakers can easily beat higher-tier stacks. Add in a leader specced for support and something like Stand Together or Overwhelm Tactics and you'll have your final game-winning stack by like, turn 30.

The Barbarian t3 unit (Berserker) is really good and literally kills most units in a single hit, but they're not necessary with how good T2s are.

e: Having just one or two Houndkeepers or Wildspeakers in a stack will keep any T1s in the stack alive as well, because expendable temporary pets will absorb all the damage and your T1s can just run up and flank for big hits.

Run in with temporary pet -> get hit -> cast temp health heals on the pet -> run in with actual units to flank.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 3, 2023

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Played a bunch yesterday, trying to finish my first non-stort map but getting a bit confused about win conditions. I don't know if it's because I'm building dumb stuff, but I feel like the AI is often starting their "seed" wincon long before I have the option for mine.

Anyone got some good resources on actually winning the game? Will take a video or a writeup.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it possible to disable win conditions or did I miss that somewhere.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Is it possible to disable win conditions or did I miss that somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Exodee posted:

You're in luck, the same creator made an AoW4 version :)
https://minionsart.github.io/aow4db/

Thanks for the heads up.

Thyrork posted:

I'd be upset that no one reads OP's but I guess that's on me for not making it clear so that's made more clear now. :ohdear:

Sorry bud, I read the OP but skimmed over the links. I'm a dummy.