Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Why hasn't there been an Enterprise class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh you missed a lot of arguments in the 1980s that I've seen the wreckage of.

(There's a sign outside the sim in TWOK that mentions it's an Enterprise-Class simulator, and there was a lot of fighting about the Connie Refit being the Enterprise Class.)

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Oh you missed a lot of arguments in the 1980s that I've seen the wreckage of.

(There's a sign outside the sim in TWOK that mentions it's an Enterprise-Class simulator, and there was a lot of fighting about the Connie Refit being the Enterprise Class.)

Clearly what they meant by Enterprise Class simulator was that it was a simulation of the Enterprise for the Class of Starfleet Academy :v:

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Beachcomber posted:

I hear you, and that works, but what I'm trying to get at is that it's still not a 'Peaceful' name. Specifically it calls to mind a kind of imperialistic, royal feeling. This ship is the master of all it surveys. It's just...the beginning of the Federation's slow slide into what Picard became. I find it distasteful.

I know, someone's going to bring up Defiant. It's a warship.

I'm going to give it a pass, because the Federation was wounded, but also, it's an underdog name. It's not out to Rule anything, but it'll be damned if it's going down without fighting to the bitter end.

I figure somebody at Paramount was skimming a book on the history of ships when they came up with class name and came across the Sovereign of the Seas. It was a ridiculous huge gilded galleon that was the largest warship in the world for a while. The cost of it helped get King Charles I’s head chopped off. So no, not a great Starfleet ship name.

Defiant comes from an old Alec Guiness movie, drat the Defiant!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_of_the_Seas_(clipper)

There was also this one that set speed records, that seems a bit more trekky

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i've been playing around with the roddenberry archive bridges and they're incredibly well done. if they're really going to go add more details that's gonna be amazing

right now i'd settle for some sound but i know how difficult that can be too

e: plus i guess they'd need to come up with some entirely new sfx for some of them? idk what they're gonna do but i'm kinda excited to find out. even the XCV-330 is pretty drat interesting to walk around

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_of_the_Seas_(clipper)

There was also this one that set speed records, that seems a bit more trekky

Yeah but it didn't help get any royalty killed so it's obviously far worse a ship.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a reaper.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
BbwOoooOooooOoóooooooooooon

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd like to see a Reaper face a Borg cube in an irrelevant-off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zoux posted:

I'd like to see a Reaper face a Borg cube in an irrelevant-off.
Who gets to be the Dalek and who the Cyberman?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoever wins, we bored

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My pitch for Picard season 1 assuming they force me to invoke Borg: the Borg collective has fallen in love and she wants Locutus to be her maid of best man honour. Picard is suspicious at first, but after several standalone self contained adventures learns all the right moral lessons, and becomes suspicious of the Other Collective the Borg want to marry. The finale is a dilemma of Picard needing to decide to try and stop the wedding, or make a tough choice to cut out the rogue individualist virus element in the Other Collective causing it to have discord and the secret plot to destroy Borg without merging in matrimony.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nessus posted:

Well one of them is a genetically engineered hyper xenophobic hell monster in a robot shell and the other is an army of cybernetically converted robo-zombies

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nessus posted:

oh my god you can't just ask a couple that

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
While we are discussing refits and such, I have to say I really liked the Lower Decks version of the Titan, more so than the one we got in Picard. It was like they finally got the Miranda class looking good and then abandoned it for a Constitution knock off.

Edit: I should also say I liked the LD version of Riker too and imagine he really does a jazz countdown as his go phrase.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Lower Decks version of the Titan dates back to 2005, pocket books held a competition to design the Titan when they were starting up a book series about Riker on the Titan after Nemesis came out. The winning design was done by a fan (Sean Tourangeau) and used in the Trek EU for years and became quite popular, it got used in comics and some videogames and had a model made.

It suddenly showing up on Lower Decks and becoming actually part of real Trek was a big wow moment for all the old fans who were into the books and stuff, especially after all the old post-nemesis trek books and stuff got reset when new trek started.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 3, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Khanstant posted:

My pitch for Picard season 1 assuming they force me to invoke Borg: the Borg collective has fallen in love and she wants Locutus to be her maid of best man honour. Picard is suspicious at first, but after several standalone self contained adventures learns all the right moral lessons, and becomes suspicious of the Other Collective the Borg want to marry. The finale is a dilemma of Picard needing to decide to try and stop the wedding, or make a tough choice to cut out the rogue individualist virus element in the Other Collective causing it to have discord and the secret plot to destroy Borg without merging in matrimony.

Then at the eleventh hour Okona crashes in to sweep the Other Collective off its feet

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Now that there's another writer's strike look forward to in 10 years having people keep stating that the reason Picard was like how it was was because of the strike, like Shades of Grey :)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The Lower Decks version of the Titan dates back to 2005, pocket books held a competition to design the Titan when they were starting up a book series about Riker on the Titan after Nemesis came out. The winning design was done by a fan (Sean Tourangeau) and used in the Trek EU for years and became quite popular, it got used in comics and some videogames and had a model made.

It suddenly showing up on Lower Decks and becoming actually part of real Trek was a big wow moment for all the old fans who were into the books and stuff, especially after all the old post-nemesis trek books and stuff got reset when new trek started.

Even Tourangeau himself said he had no idea the Titan was even going to be in Lower Decks until about like 12:30 AM the night the Season 1 finale dropped and his phone just exploded with people @ing and DMing him on Twitter that he needed to watch the episode RIGHT loving NOW. The Luna-class has shown up in live action in Picard too, only at MicroMachines scale on screen so you need to be watching episodes in like 8k on a 70" screen or larger to even be able to pick them out of the copy-paste starship diarrhea on screen.

According to folks in the know, Jonathan Frakes has apparently recorded dialog for Star Trek: Prodigy as Riker, so we might also see the Titan show up there too.

Boxturret posted:

Now that there's another writer's strike look forward to in 10 years having people keep stating that the reason Picard was like how it was was because of the strike, like Shades of Grey :)

Picard also had the excuse of Covid buggering up the effects work on the final two episodes of Season 1 and then... all of Season 2. I think that'll still be a a bigger culprit than the strike, but we'll see. Season 3 at least (currently) has no excuses for its bed making GBS threads.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

swickles posted:

While we are discussing refits and such, I have to say I really liked the Lower Decks version of the Titan, more so than the one we got in Picard. It was like they finally got the Miranda class looking good and then abandoned it for a Constitution knock off.

Edit: I should also say I liked the LD version of Riker too and imagine he really does a jazz countdown as his go phrase.

I mean, there IS 21 years separating the two. We know that the Titan-A was launched 20 years after the Luna Class Titan. Riker must have either lost the ship or they decommed it when he was promoted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They refer to the Titan-A as a refit of the Titan on-screen, because Matalis wanted it to be the same Titan as the one Riker commanded but wanted it to be his own design. Obviously this makes no sense as the ships are completely different.

The design team did come up with a wank that the Titan-A was built out of parts of the Titan after Riker wrecked the original to justify it though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 3, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I mean, there IS 21 years separating the two. We know that the Titan-A was launched 20 years after the Luna Class Titan. Riker must have either lost the ship or they decommed it when he was promoted.

There's some behind the scenes concept art work by John Eaves that Dave Blass, the art director for Picard published on Twitter a few weeks ago showing a hypothetical answer to the "What happened to the original Titan?" question.

https://twitter.com/DaveBlass/status/1633800104321712131

The OG Titan got hosed up so badly on its final mission that when it rolled back into drydock, they stripped it for parts and incorporated whatever was still working and viable into the nascent Titan-A already under construction.

e: beaten

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you were in the big chair would you go with the classic and professional "Engage", or something insouciant like "Hit it"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

zoux posted:

If you were in the big chair would you go with the classic and professional "Engage", or something insouciant like "Hit it"

"gently caress em up"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Warp Me!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Mine would be "Fire photon torpedoes!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Mine would be "Fire photon torpedoes!"

"Starbase uh, destroyed Captain"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

"Spank it, helm."

*helm officer visibly cringes*

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nine-gear crow posted:

There's some behind the scenes concept art work by John Eaves that Dave Blass, the art director for Picard published on Twitter a few weeks ago showing a hypothetical answer to the "What happened to the original Titan?" question.

https://twitter.com/DaveBlass/status/1633800104321712131

The OG Titan got hosed up so badly on its final mission that when it rolled back into drydock, they stripped it for parts and incorporated whatever was still working and viable into the nascent Titan-A already under construction.

e: beaten

So, it's less of a refit and more of an Enterprise D situation.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Show 'em our Cochranes

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

davidspackage posted:

"Spank it, helm."

*helm officer visibly cringes*

"Time to choke the chicken, conn"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bull3964 posted:

So, it's less of a refit and more of an Enterprise D situation.

I think that's what Matalas was trying to set up the parallel to, but it doesn't really work because the Enterprise-D's resurrection was just bolting an already fully intact saucer onto the already fully intact stardrive of a different starship. This is just ripping the guts out of one starship and shoving them into the already existing shell of another starship for... reasons?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

At the end of Nemesis, the E was super hosed up but it got repaired

It seems like it would be way more annoying to transfer parts from an older ship to a new one as opposed to just starting from scratch

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It seems like it would be way more annoying to transfer parts from an older ship to a new one as opposed to just starting from scratch

It's just one of those weird Matalas Mandates that literally nobody but him wanted or thought made any sense, but everyone had to bend over backwards to facilitate because he's the boss.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, fully intact is generous when it comes to the state of the saucer at the end of Generations. I wonder how many other donor ships had to be scavenged to rebuild even the bridge. But yeah, I get your point. The dialog reflects that even more when Geordi only says "the nacelles are from the Syracuse." No, it's the whole drat stardrive section.

As an aside, hearing some of the stuff around the WGA strike, I'm starting to feel a bit softer on some of the sloppy plotting of this show because it sounds like the time crunches related the writers room when churning out scripts really affects polishing. I think Matalas has his heart in the right place and given enough time and resources could have done some really cool stuff, but overreached and all we have are half incubated ideas that he is posting to twitter now to try to wallpaper some of the stuff together and the reason why it doesn't all fit is it was never all actually developed fully. It really makes you wonder what could have been done had this (and many other) shows were allowed to breath a little more in the production process.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's 100% one of those situations where it's simpler to just build a new ship. Why would you want the old parts anyway? Build a brand new 4090 gaming PC but keep your CPU from 2010.

The old ship would be most useful as raw matter to feed into replicators.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Some of the wank explanation is that starfleet was still hurting from the loss of Mars and the production facilities, so reusing Titan systems made sense with that lack of the old pipelines.

bull3964 posted:

I mean, fully intact is generous when it comes to the state of the saucer at the end of Generations. I wonder how many other donor ships had to be scavenged to rebuild even the bridge. But yeah, I get your point. The dialog reflects that even more when Geordi only says "the nacelles are from the Syracuse." No, it's the whole drat stardrive section.

My assumption is that Geordie basically got the entire Syracuse after it was retired and just moved over anything the D's saucer needed from the Syracuse saucer.

That said, the bridge module of the D might be the original from the series. The whole idea with the bridges is that when they have minor refits that upgrade the command systems (like clearly happened before Generations), they just pull the whole deck one module and put a new one on. The old one might have gotten stored somewhere. Maybe even made a minor exhibit.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 3, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bull3964 posted:

As an aside, hearing some of the stuff around the WGA strike, I'm starting to feel a bit softer on some of the sloppy plotting of this show because it sounds like the time crunches related the writers room when churning out scripts. I think Matalas has his heart in the right place and given enough time and resources could have done some really cool stuff, but overreached and all we have are half incubated ideas that he is posting to twitter now to try to wallpaper some of the stuff together and the reason why it doesn't all fit is it was never all actually developed fully. It really makes you wonder what could have been done had this (and many other) shows were allowed to breath a little more in the production process.

I think all three seasons have very salvageable plots all the way through, honestly, if they had more than just a first draft pass at them. The biggest structural flaws of Season 2 and 3 were the pacing where absolutely jack poo poo happens in their middle portions in the name of holding off all the action and reveals for Episodes 9 and 10 and their utter aversion to dramatic irony and letting the audience find out things before the characters do because that goes against the core edicts of Mystery Box Storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

As an aside, hearing some of the stuff around the WGA strike, I'm starting to feel a bit softer on some of the sloppy plotting of this show because it sounds like the time crunches related the writers room when churning out scripts really affects polishing. I think Matalas has his heart in the right place and given enough time and resources could have done some really cool stuff, but overreached and all we have are half incubated ideas that he is posting to twitter now to try to wallpaper some of the stuff together and the reason why it doesn't all fit is it was never all actually developed fully. It really makes you wonder what could have been done had this (and many other) shows were allowed to breath a little more in the production process.

What? They had 3 seasons. It was always dogshit. And the biggest chunk of the writing in S3 came long before the strikes.