Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Unfunny-comedy option would be some party within Russia trying to bump off Putin while passing the blame onto the Ukrainians.

The drone going straight for the flagpole does kind of suggest this wasn't a serious attempt at actually killing anyone though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Drone fuel cant melt flagpoles

But it does - Putin is insanely paranoid and at the very least it is going to force even more AA and EW systems to be concentrated in Moscow instead of frontline

It's not exactly what I envisioned as far as drone strikes go. I thought at first this video would reference some serious Ukraine situation but it could have even been some anti war Russian.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I can't see that it would be a false flag, it's hugely embarrassing for the Russians if Ukraine can blow stuff up inside the Kremlin. Anything I can think they would gain from this could be done better by blowing up something else.

I think it's got to be Ukraine or internal opposition trying to ruin Putin's parade.

I would suppose Ukraine infiltrated a few people and a smallish drone and launched it a few miles from the Kremlin. I'm not sure anyone could reliably detect and prevent that - especially in an urban environmwnt where AA missiles or projectiles could do a lot more harm than the drone itself.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's not exactly what I envisioned as far as drone strikes go. I thought at first this video would reference some serious Ukraine situation but it could have even been some anti war Russian.

This was not an offshelf commercial drone refit into combat one, antiwar russians dont have such resources

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

fatherboxx posted:

This was not an offshelf commercial drone refit into combat one, antiwar russians dont have such resources

Has the drone model already been identified?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Not much damage but it certainly delivers a message.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1653743906851266560
Seriously I think he needs to stop Tweeting and trying to suggest that they did it

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1653743906851266560
Seriously I think he needs to stop Tweeting and trying to suggest that they did it

making GBS threads in media while winking agressively is literally Gerashchenko's job.

So what, Putin is going to invade Ukraine? :v: or start striking apartment buildings?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

fatherboxx posted:

making GBS threads in media while winking agressively is literally Gerashchenko's job.

So what, Putin is going to invade Ukraine? :v: or start striking apartment buildings?

See my reply on what they could do

Willo567 posted:

They could use it to convince China to give them lethal aid, or try and rally up the population. They'll definitely try to hit the presidential office in Ukraine in their next mass missile attack on Ukraine I believe.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Paladinus posted:

Has the drone model already been identified?

https://twitter.com/sambendett/status/1653747610124009473?s=20

Bendett will be reliable to check for verification.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Last time that they tried hitting SBU's HQ in Kyiv they hit a glass bridge in a nearby park and failed to destroy it.

Lethal aid from China? I'd file this under Clancychat. You've already seen the extent of China support.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Given how the flight path (red) is nowhere near the presidential palace (blue) it seems highly implausible this was some kind of assassination attempt.

My hunch is the Kremlin guard troops missing a memo about some sort of surveillance flight.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Given how the flight path (red) is nowhere near the presidential palace (blue) it seems highly implausible this was some kind of assassination attempt.

My hunch is the Kremlin guard troops missing a memo about some sort of surveillance flight.

The round building from the video is Presidential Administration

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kremlin_Senate

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Maybe this is some 5th dimensional chess to cancel the V-day Parade because all of the stuff that would be on that parade is on the front, including the soldiers.

In any cause, this is an insane developement.

OddObserver posted:

You have to consider Ukraine's national myth though:

(Even if entirely inaccurate, as those things tend to be)

I am a huge fan of this myth as I am 100% cetrain that pen and paper shitposting was totally a thing :colbert:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

Not much damage but it certainly delivers a message.

If it was the Ukrainians, they should have done a drone strike on Putin's mansion near Sochi. That would really make sure he gets the message.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

That's interesting. Back in February this year an UJ-22 was already near Moscow, and then another one was found in a forest a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/28/russia-military-drone-attempted-strike-gas-facility-moscow-uav-ukraine
https://en.defence-ua.com/events/on...pital-6500.html

Highly improbable that Russia would orchestrate a false flag that elaborate, and the version that Ukraine is trying to pressure Russia to allocate more air defence to protect Moscow at the expense of occupied territories ahead of the counteroffensive is much likelier.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
It looks like it is right behind the parade backdrop too. Knocking the flagpole off or leaving a big burn mark on the dome prior to the parade would be very symbolic (if they didn't fix it and/or just not show it on video).

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Willo567 posted:

How does any of this help Ukraine? It's just going to make Russia take it out on innocent Ukranians more, not to mention make allies more hesitant to give fighter jets and long range missiles

As mentioned upthread, president Zelenskyy is just visiting Finland, where he also met with the prime ministers of Nordic nations. Obviously this visit was intended to be a propaganda triumph, but also a direct petition to our respective nations to keep supplying aid. I understand that you are worried about the conflict escalating by your previous posting, but as far as Finland's new parliament is concerned, we seem fairly committed to helping out Ukraine as best we can. To quote a dead old president, one needs only to look at a map as to why that might be.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The drone explosion video remains enigmatic. Did the drone detonate an explosive it was carrying or was it shot down by Kremlin’s anti-pigeon automatic gun turrets? Was there really a second drone?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It was pointed out to me, that If you look closer, there are two figures scaling the dome from the left when the drone explodes.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Paladinus posted:

Highly improbable that Russia would orchestrate a false flag that elaborate

May I interest you in a little story about undersea gas pipelines, sir?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Kikas posted:

Maybe this is some 5th dimensional chess to cancel the V-day Parade because all of the stuff that would be on that parade is on the front, including the soldiers.

lmao that was my first thought actually.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The mobiks are getting chewed up and are clearly not helping Russia take more territory (they've actually net lost territory in the last few months) so "MOAR MANPOWER" is needed. A false flag attack on the center of government might be the thing to enact a full mobilization or possibly goose the enlistment numbers, or at least that could be the theory.

So I could totally see this as a false flag attack.

Of course it could also be Ukraine spitting in the eye of russia for all the terrorist attacks and warcriming they've been doing. Unless Zelenskyy cops to it, it's anyone's guess.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The more I am seeing on this the more it seems like this is a false flag by Russia. If Ukraine had the ability to orchestrate such an attack they certainly wouldn’t waste it on a random attack to destroy a flag. They would save it to either take out a high value target or cause major disruption. Nor would they waste the considerable resources it would take to pull off something like this. This doesn’t follow their MO at all. It does follow the pattern of amateurish stunts that Russia does.

Unless some sort of solid proof comes out it just doesn’t pass the smell test even on the most basic level.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Paladinus posted:

It was pointed out to me, that If you look closer, there are two figures scaling the dome from the left when the drone explodes.

There were two drones and this is from the second one. They're probably going up to assess the damage from the first.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1653761880144396288

Pretty good thread detailing the evidence of two drones.

I'm guessing these drones are not something a wealthy partisan could acquire? Are these the type that can fly hundreds of kilometers? We've seen some crazy things happen with car bombs and statue bombs in Russia.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Just a reminder that it's pretty well accepted that Putin was responsible for having some apartment buildings blown up in Russia a few decades ago to justify another war in Chechnya. And it was so poorly done that FSB agents were literally caught by the police planting bombs in one of the buildings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Russian_apartment_bombings

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/kromark/status/1653761880144396288

Pretty good thread detailing the evidence of two drones.

I'm guessing these drones are not something a wealthy partisan could acquire? Are these the type that can fly hundreds of kilometers? We've seen some crazy things happen with car bombs and statue bombs in Russia.

They certainly seem to be fairly basic RC style drones. If I had to guess something easily obtainable from China if for nothing else obtainability and deniability. You load it up with some explosive and many have GPS navigational systems as well. Considering the size of the explosion it didn’t have much of a payload which leads to a commercial drone as well.

It’s something that you could put together for a couple thousand dollars easily.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Just a reminder that it's pretty well accepted that Putin was responsible for having some apartment buildings blown up in Russia a few decades ago to justify another war in Chechnya. And it was so poorly done that FSB agents were literally caught by the police planting bombs in one of the buildings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Russian_apartment_bombings

For me this makes it seem less likely to be a false flag. Those bombings show that Putin wouldn't shy away from a proper effective false flag if it came to it. These attacks are just kinda... nothing? Super embarrassing for Russia but not something the general population will get worked up about.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's oddly mesmerizing to watch the people I follow sort themselves into the "It was Ukraine" and "It was Russia" camps.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
Simplest way to see if Russia did it is to see what kind of captured "suspects" or "evidence" they have tomorrow. If the proof was as ridiculous as 3 copies of Sims 3 like last time, then we know.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hannibal Rex posted:

It's oddly mesmerizing to watch the people I follow sort themselves into the "It was Ukraine" and "It was Russia" camps.

I'm still leaning towards "It was Ukraine" but my main response is "lol" because it's either a neat bit of nose tweaking that will lead to pulling some short range air defences back to Moscow instead of anywhere where they'd be useful, or it's an incredibly lovely false flag that won't lead to anything in particular.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It's such a weird attack that it's very difficult for anyone to tell at this point. The strategic impotence of it points in both directions.

If Russia massively over reacts and uses this to push something they already wanted to do, it's probably a false flag, if not... I guess it's a Ukrainian psyop? Or something even weirder?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
I’m thinking it’s pissed off Russians citizens most likely, followed by Ukrainian partisans next most likely. Neither government has anything to gain doing this intentionally, Putin has more than enough examples of strikes on Russia-proper to rally “support” with, and for Ukraine this would only invite fresh attempts to kill Zelenskyy.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Orthanc6 posted:

I’m thinking it’s pissed off Russians citizens most likely, followed by Ukrainian partisans next most likely. Neither government has anything to gain doing this intentionally, Putin has more than enough examples of strikes on Russia-proper to rally “support” with, and for Ukraine this would only invite fresh attempts to kill Zelenskyy.

That's my thinking as to why it's a false flag: gives Putin an excuse to directly target Zelenskyy since 'he did it first.'

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Does it have to be either (as in a state sponsored attack) - could it just be unsanctioned partisan/terrorist attack?

I don't think anything we saw required state level resources to achieve?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Oracle posted:

That's my thinking as to why it's a false flag: gives Putin an excuse to directly target Zelenskyy since 'he did it first.'

The war started with the Russians paradropping assassination squads into central Kiev, he clearly does not need an excuse for that.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Oracle posted:

Putin did already send multiple assassination teams to Kyiv in the first weeks of the war, he doesn't need an excuse for that.

The talk of this being an assassination attempt against Putin is absurd, unless he sleeps on the roof of the Kremlin how could this possible have worked? The whole attack is just for show. What's the best possible scenario here? A small hole in the roof?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1653772579901956096
Is Gulagu reliable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oracle posted:

Putin has already directly targeted Zelenskyy, why would he need a futher pre-text to do so again? According to Russian propaganda, president Zelenskyy and his administration are Nazi monsters who all should be killed.

e,fb :eng99: