Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Machine Master is probably the safest and tankiest build for an NG+ Ultra run. In a fully upgraded Tenakth Tactician outfit, Aloy gets 50% more damage and resistances just by sitting on her mount, which pairs really well with Powershots since you can activate it before riding in and raining down explosive javelin death. You have to rush a little bit to Cauldron IOTA to unlock Clawstriders, but once you do, your acid raptors can basically solo any rebel camp in the game. Only real drawback of the build is that quite a few story missions are indoors where you can't summon mounts, but your other tools are strong enough to get the job done. If you want a mostly chill UHNG+ experience then you can't go wrong becoming a Raptor Master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If you override your raptor on Aggressive setting it will be INSANELY aggro forever and often tear off in search of kill when you think you’re just parking to do a viewpoint or something. They are awful children but it’s very funny to see them go Jurassic Park on a rebel camp.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My murder chicken is perfect I wont apologize for it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phenotype posted:

(Although I'm afraid I'm just gonna go back to shooting arrows at weak points like I've done for 40 hours already, I always think "maybe I should try out the Shredder" or something, but five minutes later I'm back on that Hunter's Bow.)

Yeah, I'm the same way. For me, the fantasy is bows vs robots, sometimes with a blastsling to apply an elemental effect. In Zero Dawn I would also have a rope or trap caster equipped for when I wanted to get clever, but in FW with so many elements in play my entire weapon wheel is bows and slings just so that as many are available as possible without a trip to the inventory screen

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i still cant figure out the rope caster, the game paints it as this awesome weapon that will absolutely gently caress up any machine it touches, but it seems like I need to hit any machine with at least three ropes before the shock status takes effect

gently caress that, you're getting an arrow up the arse robo hippo

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i still cant figure out the rope caster, the game paints it as this awesome weapon that will absolutely gently caress up any machine it touches, but it seems like I need to hit any machine with at least three ropes before the shock status takes effect

gently caress that, you're getting an arrow up the arse robo hippo

i think the opening just needed to introduce the idea of alternate weapons. there's a lot of kinda meh stuff taught in the opening. see: throwing rocks

that said when i have seen people use it setting up multiple along a path is definitely the strat. machines are mostly dumb and will just beeline for you if they're not mostly ranged

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Ropecaster was fantastic in HZD, but yeah, it's pretty close to garbage IMHO in TFW. Though I haven't played with it since they added the new skill to insta tie machines if you hit them after tying them up once.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Ropecasters are still extremely good in Forbidden West, even stronger than they were in Zero Dawn, they're just different mechanically because of their very slow drawspeed. Instead of chain spamming ropes (which admittedly, was pretty fun) the correct way to tie down machines in HFW is to initiate from a slide or anything that will give you Quickdraw. This is important because Quickdraw not only allows you to aim faster, but also increases the buildup of the tiedown effect. Done properly you should be able to take down any elite machine in 2-3 ropes, with anything smaller going down in one. With the new DLC skills you're guaranteed two critical strikes and can immediately tie down the machine again for two more. Super good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHoXC-RhGRU

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 2, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Ropecasters are still extremely good in Forbidden West, even stronger than they were in Zero Dawn, they're just different mechanically because of their very slow drawspeed. Instead of chain spamming ropes (which admittedly, was pretty fun) the correct way to tie down machines in HFW is to initiate from a slide or anything that will give you Quickdraw. This is important because Quickdraw not only allows you to aim faster, but also increases the buildup of the tiedown effect. Done properly you should be able to take down any elite machine in 2-3 ropes, with anything smaller going down in one. With the new DLC skills you're guaranteed two critical strikes and can immediately tie down the machine again for two more. Super good.

Fair enough, I'll have to play with them more. If I remember correctly another thing that turned me off them in HFW is crafting ammo is a lot higher than it was in HZD, but I could be wrong there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

game is so fuckin gorgeous, world is beautiful and music is beautiful

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SihOwfqYHyA :letsgo:

Falukorv posted:

Great delta is one of the things that makes me think China, but also a bunch of parallells between Quen society and historical Chinese empires. And the fact that the surviving cradle in Asia was located in Xinjiang.
Given that cradles all over the world began spitting out roughly the same mix of ethnicities all speaking English, one has to wonder how much difficulty did the first Quen Focus users have with the local datalogs :v:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

exquisite tea posted:

Some people are talking about ropecasters and some people are talking about tripcasters, I think there's some confusion. (Fwiw I also thought tripcasters went from great to awful in HFW but maybe I'm just bad)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I think this game leans too hard on compound words to name everything, they really start to blur together.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The sliding crap with the ropecaster makes it 1000% more usable. Where you find this junk out in the game, you ask? Beats me. I never would have known you could do it if I hadn't read this thread. With the legendary ropecaster you get in the DLC you can put two lines in any elite and it'll go down.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Quickdraw is a tutorial that I think comes up somewhere around Chainscrape. It's surrounded by a dozen other tutorials that are like "pressing R2 against a fallen machine sure does a lot of damage, huh" so it's easy to miss, but it's an essential mechanic to high-level combat. Essentially, Aloy gets 50% faster draw speed whenever she does one of four things:

1. Goes into a slide.
2. Whacks something in melee.
3. Falls from a moderate distance.
4. Is on a mount.

This applies to nearly everything, even things you wouldn't think would count like Boltblaster reload speed. I think it's meant to give you an edge in combat whenever you're mounted or have to use melee, or just reward you for doing cool-looking poo poo like sliding under a Thunderjaw to ignite its frost canisters. That's why if you ever see me fight a machine up close, I'll usually give it a little love tap with R1 first to get a faster bead on it (and also to benefit from melee follow-up coils). Quickdraw is part of what makes melee builds not completely suck like you think they would in a game where you only have a spear to use against 8-ton machines.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

General Battuta posted:

Some people are talking about ropecasters and some people are talking about tripcasters, I think there's some confusion. (Fwiw I also thought tripcasters went from great to awful in HFW but maybe I'm just bad)

Tripcasters are def nerfed but there is some fun to be had, like the Staggerbeams on Tinkers Pride, especially on roped down machines where you can paint a star with the wires crossing the machine.

Like this: (videos are not mine btw but awesome showcases of staggerbeam potential)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjI-zkMu1cw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS7wSPUhxIk

Quickwire technique with elemental wires can also be a fun gimmick, it has more range than you would expect and landing it on a enemy from range is pretty dope, but not really OP... Staggerbeams are the only ones who have have the potential to be really good but takes some practice.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 3, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Zentith weapon you get in the DLC is so op lol. I haven't found a machine it can't melt in under 30 seconds.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

The Zentith weapon you get in the DLC is so op lol. I haven't found a machine it can't melt in under 30 seconds.

It was a relief to find a useful weapon that also had cheap ammo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The meta way to use the Zenith Gauntlet is to apply a targeting resonator on the backside of a machine, then run around and laser them through the front. The shrapnel will hit every component along the laser's path and erase them.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I have completed the DLC and can thusly now re-engage with the thread.

I was trying to draw it out as long as possible because now that the DLC is done I'm sure it will be another three years before we get to finish the story.

I didn't like how Londra came out of the gate immediately as a mustache-twirling cliche. Everything short of tying women to railroad tracks and cackling "you'll never catch me, Aloy!". I prefer setups where we know something bad is happening someplace and gradually figure out why. Here we get "there's one more big bad guy you didn't defeat, he's off doing bad things there, go defeat him!".

The highlight was definitely the Gildun part. My favorite part of HFW was the Mass Effect style teambuilding yet I was still surprised and delighted when Aloy handed him out a sample from her endless bag of OEM focuses.

Sylens part at the end was underwhelming. A big enemy is hurtling toward earth so we're gonna visit all the big gun factories to find the biggest gun? (or... hacking gun, maybe?).

We all know Nemesis is going to get taken down by the true power of the human spirit and friendship. Possibly also by targeting its weak points in slow-mo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:allears:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Sivart13 posted:

I didn't like how Londra came out of the gate immediately as a mustache-twirling cliche.

I actually appreciated this, only because it's so meta and lampshaded with the "it's loving Hollywood!" aspect of the entire campaign. The over-the-top nature is part of the joke, reinforced constantly with the locations you go to. Since it is in every sense a side story, I was like, "ok, game. You get away with it, this time."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

New patch up, hopefully this will fix some of the progression issues people were having!

quote:

KNOWN ISSUES

Our team is investigating the following issues:

Players reported that during Main Quest “For His Amusement” the objective “Investigate the Armory” cannot be advanced if they restart from save during the objective.

Players reported that during Main Quest “For His Amusement” Seyka may not open the door when scanning the datapoint “Access Control” after examining the three clues during “Investigate the Armory” objective.

Players have reported that during Side Quest “In His Wake” during objective “Kill the Guards”, enemies were stuck in the walls, making it impossible to progress through the objective.

For “Pangea Figurines” collectables, players reported they were not able to collect the “Green Raptor” if they left the parking garage after opening the trunk in which the collectable is located.

FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS

Main Quests

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “To the Burning Shores” where restarting from save after the opening cinematic would despawn the machines players need to kill during the “Kill the Machines” objective, blocking progression.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “To the Burning Shores” where the Bilegut could fall through geometry after a jumping attack, blocking progression during “Kill the Bilegut” objective.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “To the Burning Shores” where under certain conditions the Bilegut corpse would not spawn, possibly causing players to miss out on a special outfit mod.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “To the Burning Shores” where fast traveling during “Follow Seyka into the Tower” objective could lead to Seyka no longer leading the player upon returning to the quest area, blocking progression.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “To the Burning Shores” regarding Aloy’s outfit and headdress during the opening cinematic.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “Heaven and Earth” where fast traveling during “Create a Path to the Facility Entrance” objective could lead to a progression blocker.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “Heaven and Earth” where Seyka could become idle during the crane and ballista puzzle.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “The Stars in Their Eyes” where a Bilegut could be killed in a spot that would block a generator, making it impossible to override the control node, blocking progression.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “For His Amusement” where restarting from save after pulling the lever during “Reset the Power” objective would lead to a progression blocker.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “His Final Act” where backtracking after destroying the heat sink could block progression.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “His Final Act” where progressing through the quest too quickly could cause an error in Seyka’s buddy behavior, blocking progression.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “His Final Act” where players might get stuck when getting close to the Horus tentacles.

Fixed an issue for Main Quest “His Final Act” where players would fall out of the Horus interior.

Side Quests

Fixed an issue for Side Quest “In His Wake” where fast traveling during objective “Investigate the Skirmish Site” could lead to a progression blocker.

Fixed an issue for Side Quest “A Friend in the Dark” where players could reach the valve wheel by jumping onto rocks and walls, skipping part of the puzzle.

World Activities

Fixed an issue for “Aerial Capture: North” where players would not be able to go to the start of the flight path after examining the improvised transmitter, making the activity incompletable.

Fixed an issue for Cauldron “THETA” where players were able to skip a room by sliding through the door to the next room before it closes.

Fixed an issue for Cauldron “THETA” where players could skip interacting with the controllable drone by jumping on walls and other geometry to progress through the room.

Fixed an issue where the Stormbird would not show up in the storm cloud until players restarted from save or died. This left players unable to start “Aerial Capture: West” and unable to collect Delver’s Trinket collectable “Mighty Pint”, thereby blocking the Errand Quest “The Delver’s Trove”.

Fixed an issue for the Stormbird in the storm cloud where if players were killed and then left the area, upon returning and killing the Stormbird the electric discharge would not open the locked doors on the island. This left players unable to start “Aerial Capture: West” and unable to collect Delver’s Trinket collectable “Mighty Pint”, thereby blocking the Errand Quest “The Delver’s Trove”.

Fixed an issue for the Stormbird in the storm cloud where callouts and tracks were present during Main Quest “To the Burning Shores” although the Stormbird encounter is not active during this quest.

Fixed an issue for Delver’s Trinket collectable “Music Box” where the item’s description would not show up in the notebook. This issue blocked the Errand Quest “The Delver’s Trove”.

Fixed an issue for “Pangea Figurines” where players were able to enter the answers to the Dino Digits Quiz before collecting the figurines, making it incompletable later.

Datapoints

Fixed a translation issue for datapoint “IN FOR IT” guiding players “northwest” when it should be “northeast”, possibly causing issues finding “Pangea Figurines” collectable the “Green Raptor”. Without this collectable, players would not be able to complete the Dino Digits Quiz.

Machines

Fixed an issue where the Fireclaw would stay down indefinitely if knocked down.

Fixed an issue where the acid VFX of an acid attack of the Bilegut would persist indefinitely.

Fixed an issue where flying Sunwings were stuck in place.

Fixed an issue where the Horus AA Cannon would not deal damage to players.

Fixed an issue where Stingspawn would not engage with players.

Weapons

Fixed an issue where the focus scan could not be canceled by aiming a weapon.

Fixed an issue where applying “Draw Speed” Weapon Coils to Hunter Bows would slow down draw speed.

Skills

Fixed an issue where performing Grapple Strike on a Corruptor could lead to clipping and camera problems.

Fixed an issue where the Minefield Valor Sure would cause problems when activated on uneven terrain.

UI/UX

Fixed issues for roads on the in-game map.

Fixed an issue where the buddy icon and the quest marker would show up above Seyka at the same time.

Performance and Stability

Multiple crash/hang fixes.

Multiple loading screen fixes.

Optimization of art and game assets.

Other

Fixed an issue where players were not able to travel with flying mount between The Burning Shores and The Forbidden West at specific sections of the border.

Fixed multiple issues with fast traveling and the skiff.

Fixed multiple issues with on screen text and mistranslations.

Fixes and improvements to audio.

Fixes and improvements to visuals.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
gently caress i wish i could get the "crafting surplus going to your stash"-feature on PS4... some good minor QoL stuff in that BS pre-patch that we ps4 plebs didnt get... but that crafting update in particular would be satisfying to have for my brainworms.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Falukorv posted:

gently caress i wish i could get the "crafting surplus going to your stash"-feature on PS4... some good minor QoL stuff in that BS pre-patch that we ps4 plebs didnt get... but that crafting update in particular would be satisfying to have for my brainworms.

Wait, does this mean if I craft 4 bombs but only have room for 2 the remaining go to my stash?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

As of the Burning Shores patch, yes.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That rules, going to craft up a bunch of the resource intensive ammo and store it away.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

As of the Burning Shores patch, yes.

big nipples big life posted:

That rules, going to craft up a bunch of the resource intensive ammo and store it away.

Yeah holy poo poo the amount of sludge I've wasted because my OCD requires full ammo kits, that's amazing.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If you're in need of sludge go hunt apex spikesnouts at night, just don't blow up the sacks and you'll get lots of sludge.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

If you're in need of sludge go hunt apex spikesnouts at night, just don't blow up the sacks and you'll get lots of sludge.

I'm personally fine, due to my drive to upgrade every single weapon last year. Dropped difficulty down to story with easy loot so I've got tons and tons of components.

Now shards...they're a goddam roadblock to upgrade the new stuff.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
For me who didnt benefit from the patch on ps4 the most annoying thing is wanting to top up your ammo, but youre like one or a few units short of the full of the crafting amount. e.g having 11 adv precision arrows, wasting 1 if i craft ti. or say crafting from 9->14 and having one left to fill but dont want to waste the cost of 5 arrows to make it 15.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
The Ethics of Knowledge in the Horizon series

https://youtu.be/al-yQ6YC2po

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Northern Aerial Capture is still broken, despite the patch saying it was fixed. Oh well.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

theCalamity posted:

I love that she repeatedly references Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness. This is good stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Players reported that during Main Quest “For His Amusement” Seyka may not open the door when scanning the datapoint “Access Control” after examining the three clues during “Investigate the Armory” objective.

This got me stuck for 45 minutes until I was about ready to call it a game breaking bug and kill my playthrough after a bunch of reloads and restarts, even going back to the beginning of the mission. But it's not bugged, just really poorly designed. There's a text log on the bed and if you just read it in the focus, Seyka won't open the door and the mission won't progress. Even watching someone play on youtube I missed it, but you have to hit triangle on the log and actually interact with it. Which is not consistent with other parts of the game. it's also kind of finnicky getting the interact prompt to pop up so it's (imo) easy to just get stuck as hell on that part.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Sweet the new patch didn’t take out the duplication glitch

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

theCalamity posted:

This ended up being a good watch! I've often thought about writing on a similar theme of personhood in the Horizon series because the games have some interesting things to say about what is "natural" versus what is artificial, or if there even is such a distinction.

jimtech
Nov 25, 2005
Hail to the king baby...

veni veni veni posted:

This got me stuck for 45 minutes until I was about ready to call it a game breaking bug and kill my playthrough after a bunch of reloads and restarts, even going back to the beginning of the mission. But it's not bugged, just really poorly designed. There's a text log on the bed and if you just read it in the focus, Seyka won't open the door and the mission won't progress. Even watching someone play on youtube I missed it, but you have to hit triangle on the log and actually interact with it. Which is not consistent with other parts of the game. it's also kind of finnicky getting the interact prompt to pop up so it's (imo) easy to just get stuck as hell on that part.

That's the part I've been stuck at for a while now. I haven't seen a prompt to hit triangle for the log. I'll try just spamming that button around the log and see what happens.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

jimtech posted:

That's the part I've been stuck at for a while now. I haven't seen a prompt to hit triangle for the log. I'll try just spamming that button around the log and see what happens.

I remember having to approach the bed at a weird angle to see the prompt ,so try really pushing up on it or maybe even jumping on to it if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That never worked for me, I spent a collective several minutes trying to get the prompt. I had to revert to before I had started that quest and then it was very easy to find and hit the prompt

The only thing I can recall doing differently is that I didn't visit the armory until I would have been able to progress it immediately (found the key), maybe that helps? Or wait for a patch because it's very definitely broken