Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

For what it's worth, Zelenskyy has denied that they had anything to do with the attack.

AP posted:

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, on an unannounced visit to Helsinki for talks with the leaders of five Nordic countries, denied any role in the attack.

“We don’t attack Putin or Moscow. We fight on our territory. We’re defending our villages and cities,” he said at a news conference.

Ukraine presidential adviser Mykhailo Podolyak said the claims would provide a pretext for Russia “to justify massive strikes on Ukrainian cities, on the civilian population, on infrastructure facilities” in coming days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Not always lately.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kikas posted:

I am a huge fan of this myth as I am 100% cetrain that pen and paper shitposting was totally a thing :colbert:

It's an excellent myth. Here's a reading of the letters involved, the painting is of the Cossacks composing the reply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Xtronoc posted:

Simplest way to see if Russia did it is to see what kind of captured "suspects" or "evidence" they have tomorrow. If the proof was as ridiculous as 3 copies of Sims 3 like last time, then we know.

Yeah, we all know that it's the green wig that really seals the deal about Ukraine being behind the false flag operation against the real flag.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Chalks posted:

It's such a weird attack that it's very difficult for anyone to tell at this point. The strategic impotence of it points in both directions.

If Russia massively over reacts and uses this to push something they already wanted to do, it's probably a false flag, if not... I guess it's a Ukrainian psyop? Or something even weirder?

They blew up the flag on top of the symbol of Russian government authority shortly before the Victory Day parade. If they do the parade at all, it's going to be the handful of modern tanks they can still scape together rolling in front of a bomb damaged building. This is obviously meant to emasculate Putin and underscore how badly he has mismanaged the country's defense in front of the Russian elite.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

WarpedLichen posted:

Does it have to be either (as in a state sponsored attack) - could it just be unsanctioned partisan/terrorist attack?

I don't think anything we saw required state level resources to achieve?

On that note, it's even possible that it was done by people who don't support Ukraine but by Russian nationalists. Girkin types who want to embarrass Shoigu et al and force changes in command. I know this sounds :tinfoil: as hell but technically it would be easy to do and there definitely are enough desperate nazis in Russia who might come up with such a genius plan.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The issue with Russian first aid quality is not that they are getting bandages from the mid-20th century. The issue is that those bandages seem to be the full extent of individual first aid kits in many cases. Even the old US kits I used were wrapped in a strong plastic, which meant you could use that to treat a sucking chest wound (not ideal, but it worked in a pinch). The new IFAK kits are just :stare: better.

fatherboxx posted:

Government press service officially acknowledges claims there was a drone strike on Kremlin

Correction mine. The biggest problem with this video is the fireball. Military explosives don't do that: gasoline and petrol-based explosives do. Gasoline is great for engines because it releases energy relatively slowly compared to, say, high explosives, but it's less energy-dense. So, either an amateur operation, or the point of the operation was to make something visually dramatic (in addition to or in support of whatever underlying intent).

It could be internal dissidents as much as it could be a false flag, but I think it highly unlikely it's an official Ukrainian operation. (I don't mean to imply that you were saying it was, though, fatherboxx).

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

Does it have to be either (as in a state sponsored attack) - could it just be unsanctioned partisan/terrorist attack?

I don't think anything we saw required state level resources to achieve?

To make it clear I am thinking unsanctioned partisans, again of either Russian or Ukrainian variety. But I think more likely Russian partisans cause Ukrainians in Russia would probably be more concerned with increased retaliation against their family and friends back in Ukraine, whereas Russian partisans would not care about that and would only be concerned about humiliating the government, which this does.

I agree Russia doesn't need any excuse to attack Zelenskyy or attack more civilian targets, or escalate the war in any other way, they've been doing all of that from the start just fine with no provocation. So there's nothing to gain for the Russian government doing this to itself. Nord Stream was different; that showed that Russia could sever key infrastructure, damaged Germany's economy, and was a middle finger to the current alignment of European powers.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Meanwhile Russia has murdered at least 17 civilians in shelling in Kherson area today, including of a supermarket. That, of course, is less newsworthy than utterly laughable "assassination attempt" claim.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Paladinus posted:

Not always lately.

Could you elaborate a bit?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
After seeing that video of the drones hitting the Kremlin am I the only that was reminded of the Roger Waters and Iron Maiden concerts where they would have a WW2 plane on a Zipline that would crash into the stage?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Correction mine. The biggest problem with this video is the fireball. Military explosives don't do that: gasoline and petrol-based explosives do. Gasoline is great for engines because it releases energy relatively slowly compared to, say, high explosives, but it's less energy-dense.

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1653762654656249862?s=20
https://twitter.com/broe_jake/status/1653804139036676096?s=20

Do these two explosions look significantly different to you?

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 3, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I get why people think it's likely a false flag and I don't think that's wrong to think, but also this is exactly, literally the kind of thing Bydanov has been fantasizing about doing for 6 months. Doubly so now as Ukraine has been trying to signal that Russia needs to shift manpower to defend it's rear.

imo Russian mod having a line on this from the start isn't really indicative of much because of course they're going to. you can message/suppress/ignore stuff that happens in a border region just fine, but if a drone hits the kremlin every Russian is going to hear about that in the next 24 hours. Still, I share in the suspicion at just how ready to go with the 'the last time Moscow was attacked was in 1942' stuff they were.

On the other hand, Russian nationalists have been yelling lately that Russia needs to defend its rear areas or they will be used at will to launch attacks, which does seem quite a conspicuously timed warning in retrospect

in conclusion: who the gently caress knows

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 3, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm not confident in any particular interpretation, but the delay and lack of multi-channel pushing from Russian state media makes me think a false flag is less likely.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I doubt this could rile up the Russian people or anyone could think it would. There's far better options for that such as apartment blocks. It's symbolic as an attack on state power and embarressing for the security forces though - two things Putin leans heavily on for power. Seems pretty far down the list of things Putin would authorize for a false flag.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

OddObserver posted:

Meanwhile Russia has murdered at least 17 civilians in shelling in Kherson area today, including of a supermarket. That, of course, is less newsworthy than utterly laughable "assassination attempt" claim.

Up to 21 deaths and 48 wounded now. I'm sure there was some NATO humvees parked underneath the supermarket or something though. :rolleyes:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

So it goes. Every day this illegit war continues, civilians including children keep on dying and otherwise suffering, and men and women of service age get being fed into the shredder. That's why it's not news. It happens so often. Sad news aren't the saddest thing, it's the regular sad events that are no longer even news.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

New US aid package that's been hinted at:
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3383288/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

Looks like it's mostly ammo, so sending the latest batch straight from the factory?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

New US aid package that's been hinted at:
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3383288/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

Looks like it's mostly ammo, so sending the latest batch straight from the factory?

The offensive is expected to be picking up any day now so now it's definitely more important to praise the Lord and pass the ammo than to send some new system that takes months to train people to use.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I thought this was neat, a Ukrainian farmer built a remote controlled mine roller using a tractor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu6GV8BQwJs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Willo567 posted:

Could you elaborate a bit?

They are a small org that previously used to have a very narrow focus on the prison system. Now that they've expanded to also covering the war, they simply aren't capable of vetting their sources as effectively. They are not quite on the Nexta/Unian level yet, but once in a while they now publish something very sensationalist from 'anonymous sources'.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Djarum posted:

The more I am seeing on this the more it seems like this is a false flag by Russia. If Ukraine had the ability to orchestrate such an attack they certainly wouldn’t waste it on a random attack to destroy a flag. They would save it to either take out a high value target or cause major disruption. Nor would they waste the considerable resources it would take to pull off something like this. This doesn’t follow their MO at all. It does follow the pattern of amateurish stunts that Russia does.

Wouldn't it be more likely that this was an unsuccessful attempt to take out a high value target (presumably Putin) than a successful attack on a flag?

In any case:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

in conclusion: who the gently caress knows

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

EasilyConfused posted:

Wouldn't it be more likely that this was an unsuccessful attempt to take out a high value target (presumably Putin) than a successful attack on a flag?

In any case:

If they managed to get two drones that close, surely they would have known that Putin isn't usually anywhere near that building at that hour. Whatever the intention was, it wasn't to kill Putin.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

EasilyConfused posted:

No. It had basically zero chance of taking out anyone -value, unless that person decided for some reason to spend their night sitting on a roof near a flag.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Paladinus posted:

If they managed to get two drones that close, surely they would have known that Putin isn't usually anywhere near that building at that hour. Whatever the intention was, it wasn't to kill Putin.

Yeah my thought only makes sense if there was some intelligence they had that indicated Putin was planning to be at a specific spot at a specific time.

OddObserver posted:

No. It had basically zero chance of taking out anyone -value, unless that person decided for some reason to spend their night sitting on a roof near a flag.

I was assuming that they weren't trying to hit the roof and got shot down on the way to some other part of the complex.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

EasilyConfused posted:

Well if you have intelligence that Putin or someone else of that level would be at the Kremlin your wouldn’t attack the building with something of that power. The idea would be to hit them while they are moving from the building to transport optimally.

This was basically all show and no go. If Ukraine was doing it I would venture to think they would use some sort of plastic explosive to maximize the explosion along with adding in shrapnel if it was designed to target an individual. From the explosion it certainly seems like it was some sort of a fuel bomb. Which if I were wanting to make a show attack would be what I would use. Big pretty explosion which if in the air does little and wouldn’t effect a building basically at all, let alone something hardened like the Kremlin.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, everybody and their dog knows Putin doesn't sleep in the Kremlin. And the Ukrainians most certainly do.
I don't think this has much value to them, seeing as Russia is most definitely is going to use this as an excuse to get even more horrible:

'Former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev said the overnight drone attack on the Kremlin left Moscow with no options but to “eliminate” Zelenskiy and his “clique” in Kyiv.'

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Short of nukes what can they really do that they haven’t already done? Murder civilians and try to assassinate Zelenskiy? Wow, bold new tactic.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So Zelensky was in Finland today. He flew there with a Dutch government plane, which seemed a bit strange at the time but it's now been confirmed that he's on his way to The Netherlands and will meet the prime minister tomorrow, and possibly make a speech in The Hague.

It's notable because tomorrow The Netherlands has it's remembrance day, where victims of the second world war and all the wars afterwards are commemorated. So it has a symbolic meaning. I don't know if Zelensky will speak at the event itself (which is always in Amsterdam instead of The Hague), but nevertheless it's a big deal for the Dutch.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I have zero expertise but watching that video my first thought was some anti-drone defenses on the roof took it out. It looked like it was going towards something then just went up. I would assume the Kremlin probably does have some sort of anti-drone system?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
there's at least 3 pantsir systems in the immediate vicinity

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Russia's arms exports are crashing hard, removing a major source of foreign income at a time the country could really use it:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/05/03/russia-arms-sales-weapons-exports-worldwide-ukraine-war/

quote:

Russia’s Boom Business Goes Bust
Moscow’s arms exports have fallen to levels not seen since the Soviet Union’s collapse.

After cresting in the early 2010s, Russian arms exports have fallen to levels not seen since the collapse of the Soviet Union. The Wall Street Journal referred to Russia’s precipitous decline in arms exports as among “the casualties of Russia’s war in Ukraine.”

But the timing doesn’t add up: According to data from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, Russia’s arms exports began falling in earnest in 2019, and were already down nearly 20 percent relative to 2011, the high-water mark for the Russian arms industry. That year, Russian arms exports nearly matched U.S. arms exports and were delivered to 35 different countries. Eleven years later, Russian arms exports had fallen by nearly 70 percent, with deliveries to just 12 countries.

If the war on Ukraine dealt the knockout blow to Russia’s arms exports, the industry had already been on the ropes for some time.

Already facing substantial and largely self-inflicted wounds, what do Russia’s falling arms sales portend for the country’s position in global affairs? They point to further erosion of Russia’s—and Russian President Vladimir Putin’s—international influence and increasing dependence on oil and gas exports. Writing in the Washington Post, Maria Snegovaya admonished the West to think of Russia “as an ordinary petrostate, not an extraordinary superpower” back in 2015. With its defense industry in the doldrums, this assessment is even more true now than it was then.

Perhaps most importantly, the decline in arms sales signals Moscow’s increasing dependence on—and subordination to—the interests of India and China. Russia is now more dependent on arms sales to those two nations than any time since 2003—but at much smaller export volumes, and with both India and China continuing to develop their own import-competing arms industries.

Russia’s early-21st century arms boom was fueled by scaled-up purchases from China, India, and Algeria—Russia’s three biggest export markets—as well as expansion into “new” markets in the former Soviet Union. Flush with oil and gas revenues, former Soviet republics Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan began stocking up on Russian weapons and weapons systems, including battle tanks, attack helicopters, and both surface-to-air and anti-tank missiles.

(click through and read the whole thing)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there's at least 3 pantsir systems in the immediate vicinity

On that note, Russian air defenses actually firing at these would have been extremely obvious and more destructive than those tiny payloads.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I can't imagine any benefit Ukraine would get from attacking the Kremlin. All it would do is alienate skittish allies and help unify the Russian public, especially if the attack managed to do any real damage.

My wild guesses are either an anti-drone system test serving double duty as PR, or the work of a Ukrainian group that Kyiv doesn't control. If it's an earnest attack or a false flag, it's really half-assed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Warbadger posted:

On that note, Russian air defenses actually firing at these would have been extremely obvious and more destructive than those tiny payloads.

Right I don't think they'd open up with 30mm auto cannons well it was flying right next to the building they are meant to protect.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Personally, I'm really impressed whoever it was, hit the centre of the target on the flag itself.

It's barley 2 meters wide!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Comstar posted:

Personally, I'm really impressed whoever it was, hit the centre of the target on the flag itself.

remarkable guidance in an area where gps is heavily jammed 24/7

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Semi-regular reminder to engage in less Clancy (nuke) chat, and more..... not-nuke chat? Whatever, there's almost always something else going on in Ukraine that doesn't require discussion of things that won't happen.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Comstar posted:

I used to bullseye flagpoles with my COTS drone back home, they’re wayyyy smaller than 2 meters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
reads non-state actors to me, the type who'd get off on just being able to successfully launch an attack against a symbolic target