Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I knew where Thunder Bay was and then I googled Sudbury and it's two thirds the way to Toronto with probably more moose than humans between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

To sum up the article quickly: his brilliant methodology for determining the best markets for the NHL to expand to was population x % of people google. So his Thunder Bay-Sudbury Metropolitan area of 500k people where 52% of people googled NHL is a better expansion market than Houston where only 2% of it's 6 million people did.

So that's dumb enough, but while the Sudbury-Thunder Bay amalgamation he used can be described as "Northern Ontario", the two cities are 623 miles apart, which would make going to games just a little difficult for half the fans even if games took place in perfect summer weather and not in the middle of winter.

It's also why we don't have an OHL team despite having the population and interest. We're too isolated.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
For some reason i read Thunder Bay and was like "was that the hulk hogan show?" but no that was Thunder in Paradise.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
All i know about Sudbury comes from Shoresy and that town definitely deserves an NHL franchise.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Sudbury has a great song written about it

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Sudbury to thunder bay is only what, a 10, 11 hour drive? totally reasonable to stick a hockey arena halfway between the two somewhere in lake superior that everyone will drive/swim 5 hours to.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Isle Royale National Park could use a hockey team.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

A Canadian expansion team would pretty much have to be Quebec City or Hamilton, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

A Canadian expansion team would pretty much have to be Quebec City or Hamilton, right?

Pretty much, and a Hamilton team would have to pay out the nose for proximity rights or whatever it's called because of how close it is to Toronto

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty much, and a Hamilton team would have to pay out the nose for proximity rights or whatever it's called because of how close it is to Toronto

Also Buffalo. pre-pandemic I think it was in the neighbourhood of 15% of season ticket holders for the Sabres lived on the Canadian side of the border.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Isle Royale National Park could use a hockey team.

They could skate on the lake on and island on an lake on an island

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

pseudodragon posted:

To sum up the article quickly: his brilliant methodology for determining the best markets for the NHL to expand to was population x % of people google. So his Thunder Bay-Sudbury Metropolitan area of 500k people where 52% of people googled NHL is a better expansion market than Houston where only 2% of it's 6 million people did.

So that's dumb enough, but while the Sudbury-Thunder Bay amalgamation he used can be described as "Northern Ontario", the two cities are 623 miles apart, which would make going to games just a little difficult for half the fans even if games took place in perfect summer weather and not in the middle of winter.
Not only that, it's over 1000 km on a two lane highway. It would be faster to drive from Atlanta to Miami, or from Washington to Chicago, or from San Diego to loving Salt Lake City. And with fewer moose to avoid.

Also as a hockey fan I don't think I've ever googled NHL, so I'm not counted in the 'avid fans' numbers in Northern Alberta :(

Bip Roberts posted:

They could skate on the lake on and island on an lake on an island

That's Manitoulin!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Sudbury-Thunder Bay? Oh, you mean the Twin Cities?

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

You'd have more luck with a Duluth-Thunder Bay international team tbh

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i only know of thunder bay cuz my grandpa was the child of finnish immigrants. largest community of finns outside finland

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

My knowledge of Thunder Bay is that it is the hometown of David Letterman's bandleader Paul Shaffer.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

i only know of thunder bay cuz my grandpa was the child of finnish immigrants. largest community of finns outside finland

A good friend of mine would always bring back Finnish bread from some bakery there. When it closed a couple years ago they FLEW BACK just to get bread one last time.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
A friend of mine is in Thunder Bay for an event this weekend, she lives in California. When I got the text asking if I might show up, I replied back with the Google Maps screenshots of Thunder Bay being farther from metro Detroit than Atlanta.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I only know about Thunder Bay because its one of like 5 cities you can direct flights to out of this cute little airport in Toronto that is actually on the lake. It's called Billy Bishop airport and you have to take a ferry to get to the concourse.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Thunder Bay is also the meth capital of Canada.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Beef Of Ages posted:

Are you sure? Because I’ve been to Campbell River.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It's easy to build several capitals when you do that much meth

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Fix It posted:

Michigan's Upper Peninsula is also stacked with Finns. My maternal grandparents were both Finnish immigrants and lived in Ironwood, MI.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Budweiser-drinking peeps

https://twitter.com/mdotbrown/status/1653795853977395209?s=20

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Finally going after Embiid for what really matters: his drink of choice being sugary and nonalcoholic

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

It really sucks that Mike Kiszla still has a job at the Denver Post after they loving gutted the paper just as a sports outrage merchant. But it does continue in the grand tradition started by Woody Paige.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I only know about Thunder Bay because its one of like 5 cities you can direct flights to out of this cute little airport in Toronto that is actually on the lake. It's called Billy Bishop airport and you have to take a ferry to get to the concourse.

haha Billy Bishop has flights to 20 or so places now and there's an underground pedestrian tunnel as well. It is definitely a better airport experience than Pearson though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beef Of Ages posted:

No it isn't, opiates are the issue around here

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/1654144187283955713

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
drat

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I wouldn’t read much into it

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

haha Billy Bishop has flights to 20 or so places now and there's an underground pedestrian tunnel as well. It is definitely a better airport experience than Pearson though.

Oh wow, I lived in Toronto for a year in 2015 so things have changed. It was always so much better than Pearson since it did fly to Boston and was so easy to access from downtown.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

General Dog posted:

It was bad enough that the other day the Ohio Gaming Commission shut down all betting on Alabama baseball games earlier in the week. There was probably a lot of money flying around.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

General Dog posted:

It's not like anybody got murdered or anything

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7229111718864112939

Really good ending beat here

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

As soon as I saw the NFL mention I knew the dude had confused him for Bomani, he's such a boogeyman for these people.

Also Jamelle is an incredibly pro follow on TikTok, dude is so good at breaking down heady/historical concepts into the simple basics.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh loving Christ of COURSE it's a Celtics fan.

Jamelle Bouie rules. He's a pro follow on Twitter as well. And even ignoring all his other, myriad, laudable qualities, his cereal reviews are worth it all on their own:
https://twitter.com/seriouseats/status/1403385806786531328?lang=en

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 5, 2023

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

As soon as I saw the NFL mention I knew the dude had confused him for Bomani, he's such a boogeyman for these people.

Also Jamelle is an incredibly pro follow on TikTok, dude is so good at breaking down heady/historical concepts into the simple basics.

My immediate assumption was the guy doesn’t actually follow ESPN at all and thought he was the Jemele Hill person he reads about on his alt right twitter follows.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

sportsgenius86 posted:

My immediate assumption was the guy doesn’t actually follow ESPN at all and thought he was the Jemele Hill person he reads about on his alt right twitter follows.

When the wraparound sunglasses brigade was yelling at The Athletic for hiring her was a fun couple of weeks on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1654679569117372416?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ