Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I have never read the DUNC book and I still haven't seen DUNC part 1. I should probably correct that.

Oh god. What a terrible page start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mordiceius posted:

I have never read the DUNC book and I still haven't seen DUNC part 1. I should probably correct that.

You should absolutely correct that. Dune part 1 is amazing, in a sea of boring movies that look the same.

I feel like the 3 best movies I saw in the last 2 years were Dune, Everything Everywhere All at Once, and RRR (Glass Onion was really good, too). Mostly because they're fantastic movies, but also because they look and feel different than most other movies out there. They're like a breath of fresh air after wading through all the Marvel poo poo.

I really hope Dune part 2 sticks the landing. And that trailer gives me reason to believe it will.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 3, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
is DUNC part 1 accessible to people who have no knowledge of the books outside of knowing that it is a sand planet with giant worms?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Mordiceius posted:

is DUNC part 1 accessible to people who have no knowledge of the books outside of knowing that it is a sand planet with giant worms?

Yes. I loved it without any knowledge

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I hadn't read any of the books and could barely comprehend the Lynch Dune but I immediately got what was going on in Denis' Dune (class war).

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Definitely. I read the book only a month ahead of the movie, so I can kind of access both perspectives on it. The movie pulls a lot of detail from the book without the accompanying exposition, like I don't recall it mentioning Holtzman fields much or explaining why computers are taboo and tech is often inspired by nature. But you can let those details wash over you without explanation and still follow the plot, and it'll leave you with the impression of a fully realized and lived-in universe.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mordiceius posted:

Yep! My only knowledge of this universe is Dune 2 from the 90s and watching the Lynch version on and off as I fall asleep each time cause it's so loving boring. This is nowhere near that and grips you right from the beginning.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I find the story and world of Dune pretty dull but the Villeneuve movie is definitely an audiovisual treat so you can at least enjoy it on that level.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Do yourself a favor and see the first with the best audio situation you can find and then see the second in the biggest IMAX theater you can find.

The sound design in this film will shake you to the core

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/22/movies/hans-zimmer-dune.html

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kiimo posted:

Do yourself a favor and see the first with the best audio situation you can find and then see the second in the biggest IMAX theater you can find.

I'm really hoping there will be some sort of re-release of the first. I now live in an area with a plethora of stellar theaters (something I haven't had in my entire life) and hated I missed out on the first in the theaters.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kiimo posted:

Give me the water.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm 100% certain they will have a full IMAX special showing of the films back to back at some point.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Christopher Walken is an interesting addition.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

clown shoes posted:

Vlad

you old horndog

how's tricks

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

I'm 100% certain they will have a full IMAX special showing of the films back to back at some point.

Oh man I hadn’t even thought of this. back 2 back Dunes in IMAX is going to be a loving great time.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

kiimo posted:

I will absolutely be there for it, no matter the risk of harm to my bladder

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean they had the LOTR extended editions back to back to back and like that's a commitment

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

love the confidence of the teaser without really showing anything. ready for 3 more hours of dunc.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

kiimo posted:

I mean they had the LOTR extended editions back to back to back and like that's a commitment

Lol, we attempted those at home twice, passed out drunk once and fell asleep sober the other

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

kiimo posted:

Honestly this is part of the reason I didn't see the first movie, I'd rather just do the whole thing at once.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Did the hand mouth joker tattoo start with Ayers Suicide Squad or has that been done before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj5SohH0oQ4

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VFJFBxEFEs

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Hell they did the entire MCU infinity saga at some theaters before endgame came out

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Hell they did the entire MCU infinity saga at some theaters before endgame came out

Oh god I remember that. Some poster on one of the threads here even live posted from it for a long time before he bailed. I can't imagine how terrible that must have been.

I mean, I like a fair amount of those early Marvel movies. But no way could I watch them all in one go.

This looks like a higher budget Lifetime movie. Or Single White Female for Gen Z.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 3, 2023

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
There was briefly an industry of journalists who attended those MCU marathon screenings and their articles all featured a devolution into the same Naked Lunch-esque haze.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Oh dope they made a sequel to Ingrid Goes West

edit: Ingrid Goes Tropical

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 3, 2023

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mordiceius posted:

I've never read any of the books and enjoyed the first movie enough that I will probably see the second in an IMAX theater if I can swing it.

Also much more motivated to read the books now, at least the core series and other entries not written by the failson and his ghost writer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

I've never read any of the books and enjoyed the first movie enough that I will probably see the second in an IMAX theater if I can swing it.

Also much more motivated to read the books now, at least the core series and other entries not written by the failson and his ghost writer.

Who told you to do that?

It seemed the proper way.

That it is.

He will know your ways, as if born to them.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

clown shoes posted:

Tim Blake Nelson is also in it as a currently unnanounced part. Although the fact that they've cast a Lady Margot makes me think he'll be Count Fenrig (who is a failed attempt at a Kwisatz Haderach)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tim Whatley posted:

Back in 2008 I viciously followed the Cloverfield ARG after seeing that trailer in front of Transformers.

One of the sites that was a part of it, Slusho, came back online this morning.
https://slusho.com/

Oh it is happening finally.

I am so ready.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Does Bene Gesserit supersecret innuendo language get introduced in the second book or the third book?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Are you talking about pussy magic or what

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No it was like two of them would talk to each other while guards were watching them and they would say things like

“Oh how is the queen doing?”

And it would be understood between the two of them that what she was really asking was “how is our super secret plan to poison the queen coming along ?” and the guards would be none the wiser

Come to think of it that sounds like the second book

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well the secret languages are there in the beginning. At least if the rumors that Count Fenring and his bene gesserit wife are in it, they'll be in the next movie too

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There was briefly an industry of journalists who attended those MCU marathon screenings and their articles all featured a devolution into the same Naked Lunch-esque haze.

One of my local indie cinemas used to hold 24 movie marathons a few times a year, usually a selection of cult classic horror movies played nonstop one after the other. Diehard fans used to bring mattresses so they could get super comfy and maybe even catch 40 winks if they needed to recharge.
That cinema also used to hold 'audience participation' screenings of Rocky Horror and Blue Brothers with megafans in costume acting out all the parts on stage. They also encouraged everyone to bring props such as dry white toast which they could throw at the screen at the appropriate moments

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sorry if this was posted but I'm hype af for the new Kitano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5h7YLzpsn4

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Kitano + Asano is an immediate watch for sure

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

flashy_mcflash posted:

Sorry if this was posted but I'm hype af for the new Kitano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5h7YLzpsn4

oh poo poo hell YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Has Takeshi Kitano ever showed up in any of Takeshi Miike's films?