Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've seen multiple 10 min videos posted based on speculation of that 10s clip. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

alexandriao posted:

I mean, it can't be the SAME hand because I watched Journey's End recently and that hand regenerated into the half human doctor.

edit: im not digging through the episode for a screenshot but it's definitely more of a flashback, that exact frame im pretty sure is taken from Journey's End

That's part of what makes it so intriguing! How can that hand be back!?! Is Dildo Doctor returning? What is going on!?! What is RTD up to! Man I must be the nerdiest person alive asking so many questions about a couple of unfocused frames in a brief tease-

OgNar posted:

I've seen multiple 10 min videos posted based on speculation of that 10s clip. :D

Nevermind :aaa:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You make the music go back, you hear Satan speaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81CE23EqYRE

"Cryptic, I hate that."
"Why did this face come back?"

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Any chance of the writers strike have any effect on the show?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Confusedslight posted:

Any chance of the writers strike have any effect on the show?

Not an american production, so it seems unlikely.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Disney will be forced to withhold production money until the strike's over. RTD has already been seen around Cardiff and other parts of Wales, frantically searching for bubble wrap suppliers to shore up the season's SFX resources. Press reports indicate he received harsh criticism when he was seen desperately waving a fiver at one supplier, with one source saying "he should've been more careful with the BBC's portion of the season's budget, he might've dropped it or something".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RTD: The head writer is refusing to work unless he gets fat stacks of cash.
BBC: Wait, aren't YOU the head wri-
RTD: I say we give in to his demands!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

RTD: The head writer is refusing to work unless he gets fat stacks of cash.
BBC: Wait, aren't YOU the head wri-
RTD: I say we give in to his demands!

"Hello, my name is Mr. Seivad! And I come from...someplace far away! Yes, that'll do... Anyway, I-I say we give all the BBC's TV budget money to Doctor Who!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Sydney Bottocks posted:

"Hello, my name is Mr. Seivad! And I come from...someplace far away! Yes, that'll do... Anyway, I-I say we give all the BBC's TV budget money to Doctor Who!"

This was basically Douglas Adams' argument in the 90s when he asked the BBC why they weren't making Doctor Who. The BBC told him the accountants said it wouldn't be cost effective, and Adams told them to fire the accountants and make Doctor Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

BBC: Well I'm convinced.... do you have change for a tenner? :ohdear:

Davros1 posted:

This was basically Douglas Adams' argument in the 90s when he asked the BBC why they weren't making Doctor Who. The BBC told him the accountants said it wouldn't be cost effective, and Adams told them to fire the accountants and make Doctor Who.

God bless Douglas Adams :hai:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

God bless Douglas Adams :hai:

And the best part is, he'd absolutely take issue with that :v:

Davros1 posted:

I honestly believe that when Michael Grade took over the BBC during C. Baker's run, he just absolutely hated sci-fi and didn't want it to appear on the network in any form (other than Red Dwarf, since it was only a half-hour sitcom that didn't have any actual aliens in it, so it didn't need a huge budget), and that when he eventually left that mindset had just completely permeated throughout the BBC, only truly ending when RTD finally told them "if you want me to do a show for you it's going to be Doctor Who" in the early 2000s.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

While researching the biography on Douglas Adams that he was writing, Neil Gaiman discovered among Adams' papers a pitch to bring back Doctor Who.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Red Dwarf may not have aliens in it, but by all practical applications of same, it super does.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Honestly some of the effects shots in Red Dwarf are pretty impressive.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mike Tucker does sterling work. :hai:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Another audio - We Are the Daleks! - this one has interesting ideas, but is ultimately a little bland. I've never actually seen any of the 7/Mel TV stories, but I know they're not well regarded. Big Finish has been good to Mel as a character, actually using her background as a computer genius for plot relevant things, and playing more into Bonnie Langford's strengths as an actress.

The plot is a satire on 1980s Thatcher-era capitalism, with the Daleks trying to invade by convincing London investors to ally with them through market deregulation. The satire feels like it doesn't go far enough - there's a few tweaks on the nose of the mores of the late 80s investing classes, but it doesn't feel like its like cutting or ruthless enough. And yes, they do the 'the video game is really controlling alien spaceships!!!' cliche, but at least they don't dwell on it too much, and it has some fun little links to the 12th Doctor Dalek stories. Oh, and Daleks saying non-Dalek things is still funny in small doses.

Nothing amazing, but for a fun, slightly throwaway Sylvester McCoy Dalek story, its fine. It just feels like it could have been a much sharper satire.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 2, 2023

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Boxturret posted:

Honestly some of the effects shots in Red Dwarf are pretty impressive.

Red Dwarf benefited from many years of experience at the BBC in their visual effects unit, and given the fact that many of the same people worked on the effects, Red Dwarf is probably the best reference of what a 90s Doctor Who run with a decent budget might have looked like.

Well that and the Big Ben crash sequence from Aliens Of London. As The_Doctor mentions Mike Tucker was heavily involved. First working for a few of the last year's of Who's original run then doing Red Dwarf, then returning for Doctor Who when RTD brought it back.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Doctor needs an Arthur Dentish companion. Someone who'd really rather not be there but can't really go home either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's how we get Turlough!

Re: Red Dwarf, the relatively restricted sets did a pretty remarkable job of helping obscure how cheap everything was. A lot of shows will do the,"We're on a giant spaceship but you only ever see 3 rooms" thing, but Red Dwarf cleverly made it part of the point: the last human alive in the universe all alone on a ship built for a crew of hundreds, with almost everything shut down to preserve power even giving an excuse for some darkly lit sets!

I dug that the ship was so big that they turned elevator rides from the top floor to the bottom into luxury apartment building lobbies because you were gonna be spending hours if not days stuck in there! Then lo and behold, a couple of decades later along comes World Enough and Time!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Khanstant posted:

Doctor needs an Arthur Dentish companion. Someone who'd really rather not be there but can't really go home either.

Rory veers pretty close. The 11/Amy/Rory dynamic basically combines Zaphod and Ford into 11, Amy as Trillian, with Rory being very Arthur D(arville).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Mike Tucker does sterling work. :hai:

As long as you don't consider his writing.

[side eyes Loving The Alien and At Childhood's End]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I liked his Illegal Alien PDA, that was pretty good. Less so Storm Harvest.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Rory veers pretty close. The 11/Amy/Rory dynamic basically combines Zaphod and Ford into 11, Amy as Trillian, with Rory being very Arthur D(arville).

Yeah haha hadn't thought of it that way but totally. I was thinking Donna at times also isn't all too happy to be there, I like the reluctant companion act.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Khanstant posted:

That happened a lot in the original run

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 3, 2023

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
My only wish for a companion is they're not from the modern day. One can dream!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Confusedslight posted:

Ruby dresses like it's 2000. Dare to dream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

The Doctor should pick up another companion from 2005!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Confusedslight posted:

Does captain jack not count?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ikanreed posted:

Does captain jack not count?

RTD leans forward into the mic: I have no idea who you're talking about.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Confusedslight posted:

Ooh that would be really cool. Instantly think of a ton of cool con eots for that, very fun idea. I think that's part of why Clara is my favourite companion in general, got to meet her several times as diff people in diff times. They went in another direction with that concept.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1654516407554437125?s=46&t=ZiGj6j-OsXu3OH1bWlxl5g

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay we’re getting a musical episode for sure

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
You say musical episode; I say Matrix Resurrections sequel.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

More teasers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5RK9hvBgus

Reversed audio
"She mentioned Gallifrey"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh drat.

MTG with another set of cards that almost makes me want to spend my money on a game I haven't played since highschool all because of the cool art.

This time it's four Doctor Who commander decks.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/allons-y-on-october-13-celebrate-60-years-of-doctor-who-through-magic

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

AndyElusive posted:

Oh drat.

MTG with another set of cards that almost makes me want to spend my money on a game I haven't played since highschool all because of the cool art.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/allons-y-on-october-13-celebrate-60-years-of-doctor-who-through-magic

Man, that's a rocking Davros!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

More teasers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5RK9hvBgus

Reversed audio
"She mentioned Gallifrey"

Quick question, is it November tomorrow yet? :f5:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Oh drat.

I only started playing MtG last year, and while the business end of things is grosser than it's ever been, the game is so loving fun I can't give it up.

Sounds like they're also putting a lot of care 8nto the mechanics and theming so I'm really stoked to grab these and play some games with my doctor who lovers in the family at Christmas. They don't know Magic though so it'll be an experience.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Some very pretty fanwank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVW7y6NkVok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yep, fanwank for sure but they put it together very well. Also they correctly labeled the Fugitive Doctor as a (now rogue!) CIA operative :hmmyes: