Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jarvis never had a problem in his crate, but my wife finally relented and he's a full roam-of-the-house dog now. He usually goes back and forth between our bed and the oldest's depending on how warm the rooms are (he picks the coolest one).

If they're peeing in the crate, it might be that it's too big for them. If it's not, then there's some other association that got made in their head that will have to be figured out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thirding the "crate might be too big". You can make the crate "smaller" by piling stuff into it. It should be just barely big enough for the dog to turn around in. And to be clear, this is what they want; what looks cramped to us is cozy to them.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thirding the "crate might be too big". You can make the crate "smaller" by piling stuff into it. It should be just barely big enough for the dog to turn around in. And to be clear, this is what they want; what looks cramped to us is cozy to them.

That is something I've been looking to try. Her previous crate was a bit big. I don't know if it will do any good because her go-to is to pee on anything she identifies as her bed. With the crate open and available during the day she will choose to pee in there over a corner or going outside through the dog door.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Our Dachshund is coming up to ~10 months old and just refuses to connect all the dots about bathroom time.

He knows not to go in his pen, he knows not to go in the livingroom where he’s fenced in with us, and he knows when we take him downstairs to go that he has to hold it until he gets outside and will happily run off ahead and sit to wait by the back door while we follow after him. We’re accident free for a long time now under those conditions.

If we don’t fence him in with us and let him roam, even with the back door open so he can come and go as he pleases with our other dog, he’ll just leave the room and piss and poo poo wherever as soon as he’s out of sight.

Short of “keep him fenced in all the time I guess” I’m not sure what to try next.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

While I would like Umbra to be crate trained for traveling and boarding situations it is not really a solution for day to day life because two of her jobs are deterring the local unhoused population from using my yard as a toilet and being the little spoon at night.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
We have had Georgie for about two weeks now. Still don’t know the breed, but we discovered that he has some form of worm.

Having trouble getting an appointment but I think it’s roundworm. What do I need to know? Can I get it? How likely?

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Our Dachshund is coming up to ~10 months old and just refuses to connect all the dots about bathroom time.

He knows not to go in his pen, he knows not to go in the livingroom where he’s fenced in with us, and he knows when we take him downstairs to go that he has to hold it until he gets outside and will happily run off ahead and sit to wait by the back door while we follow after him. We’re accident free for a long time now under those conditions.

If we don’t fence him in with us and let him roam, even with the back door open so he can come and go as he pleases with our other dog, he’ll just leave the room and piss and poo poo wherever as soon as he’s out of sight.

Short of “keep him fenced in all the time I guess” I’m not sure what to try next.

Quoting this because I'm experiencing almost the same thing with our 4 month old puppy. Whenever we open up the gates to let him chill upstairs with us while we get the kids ready for bed he will most likely pee. Even if we just went outside with him beforehand. He very rarely has an accident elsewhere!

Hoping someone has some tips or tricks

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

grill youre saelf posted:

Quoting this because I'm experiencing almost the same thing with our 4 month old puppy. Whenever we open up the gates to let him chill upstairs with us while we get the kids ready for bed he will most likely pee. Even if we just went outside with him beforehand. He very rarely has an accident elsewhere!

I haven’t had that problem with Pickwick but I remember the puppy book suggesting only adding one room at a time to their ‘space’ so it all becomes their home they don’t want to soil. When you give them free run of the house that’s familiar but not somewhere they spend a whole lot of time they make think it’s okay to pee there. Whereas adding one room at a time their home gets slowly bigger and they slowly think of every room in the house as their space they don’t want to soil.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Pillowpants posted:

We have had Georgie for about two weeks now. Still don’t know the breed, but we discovered that he has some form of worm.

Having trouble getting an appointment but I think it’s roundworm. What do I need to know? Can I get it? How likely?

If you can see them they're probably either roundworms or tapeworms. They're generally species specific and not a concern for you to get them. You can get dewormers at any pet or farm store to take care of them. I just buy the big jugs of safeguard goat dewormer personally, but I also have goats.

grill youre saelf posted:

4 months is entirely too young to expect him to not pee wherever whenever if he's not being supervised. If you want him upstairs with you while you do other things tether him to you so you can keep an eye on him and interrupt him when he starts to go. He's just a baby, he's not ready to have that sort of freedom yet.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

4 months is entirely too young to expect him to not pee wherever whenever if he's not being supervised. If you want him upstairs with you while you do other things tether him to you so you can keep an eye on him and interrupt him when he starts to go. He's just a baby, he's not ready to have that sort of freedom yet.

oh, guess I didn't realize that, I will recalibrate my standards. Thanks!

He's doing great then! He sits by the door when he has to pee, or otherwise acts up until we let him outside. We've even gotten him to poop in a specific with a 75 percent hit rate.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On Monday, my dog is getting her first teeth cleaning. I'm a nervous dog parent. :ohdear: The vet wants me to drop her off, ask that I go home, and they will call at some point in the day to ask that I come pick her up. This is pretty standard though right (Millie is my first dog)?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I said come in! posted:

On Monday, my dog is getting her first teeth cleaning. I'm a nervous dog parent. :ohdear: The vet wants me to drop her off, ask that I go home, and they will call at some point in the day to ask that I come pick her up. This is pretty standard though right (Millie is my first dog)?

Yes, because they're going to knock her out

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Never trust a Puppy.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They’re going to swap her for a dog with cleaner teeth and just hope you don’t notice

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Lpzie posted:

Never trust a Puppy.

Words to live by. Does anybody (sigh) have any advice for a puppy (two months old corgi, had her for a week, making as reasonable a routine as possible for the first week) who hates the rain? It started raining yesterday and the little princess just isn't interested in going outside with there's a nice, warm, kitchen to befoul. I live in a rainy climate :hb:

Three times on my day off I sat outside with her for over a half an hour, waiting, for nothing. The moment she came inside immediately evacuated with aplomb. She's lucky she's cute.

Edit: proof of cuteness

Clowner fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 8, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Girlie needs to be outside as long as it takes to poop. She's only two months old, so it's going to happen soon enough.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Get her moving around instead of just sitting there waiting. It's harder to hold it when you're running around and if she's having fun she might not mind the rain as much.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
My corgi hates the rain too, we had to go outside and stand/walk around with him to get him to poop in the rain. After a few months of that he started being fine with it. He still doesn't like it, but he'll go just long enough to go.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Clowner posted:

Edit: proof of cuteness

Oh my God.
A full tail!

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

SpaceViking posted:

My corgi hates the rain too, we had to go outside and stand/walk around with him to get him to poop in the rain. After a few months of that he started being fine with it. He still doesn't like it, but he'll go just long enough to go.

Nice to see that being a diva is a breed-specific behavior lol

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh my God.
A full tail!

Yeah I'm really happy about that. She'll be a good girl, some day.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My guy got bit today inside our own fence yard. Some dude waking by with a big pit-mix must have let it jump up and bite my dog as he was looking out the fence. Then he just walked off.

https://ibb.co/XbdphcD

I cleaned the wound and put some cleaning alcoholic on it. He seems fine, but the wound is still glistening. I’ll keep an eye for infections, just didn’t know if there was anything else I can do for him.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My guy got bit today inside our own fence yard. Some dude waking by with a big pit-mix must have let it jump up and bite my dog as he was looking out the fence. Then he just walked off.

https://ibb.co/XbdphcD

I cleaned the wound and put some cleaning alcoholic on it. He seems fine, but the wound is still glistening. I’ll keep an eye for infections, just didn’t know if there was anything else I can do for him.

The vet would RX some antibiotics

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

The vet would RX some antibiotics

That’s what I thought. Are those kind of antibiotics general enough I could describe the situation and show a picture? I’ll take him in if they need to look at him, but I go to the same vet every time so if it’s a simple antibiotic I could just show them a photo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Probably. They'll want the photo so they'll know whether or not to tell you to go to the evet.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They almost certainly will tell you to come in because dog bites are notoriously dirty (just think what your dog does all day with their mouth)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'll bet not since availability last minute is not a thing vets have. Clean it well.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'll bet not since availability last minute is not a thing vets have. Clean it well.

A dog being bit is a public health concern that makes a vet want to make time.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

our vet always has walk ins, sometimes you have to wait an hour or two, but they are there. and its a very busy vet

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

My vet is pretty cool (though they charge a high price), so I called them this morning and they said I could send a photo and they’ll look at it and tell me.

My little guy doesn’t seem to mind though. I keep warning him not to tangle with the cat today because he is basically walking around with a big Video Game Boss Weak Point on him. He has not listened so far.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah at least in my area the vets aren’t nearly as booked as before. My dog got a “possible bite” and the vet looked at it and gave her antibiotics even though we weren’t sure that’s what it was.

Puppies are fuckin expensive

She also turned 1 a few days ago

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 9, 2023

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Uhhh so I just paid $265 for medicine. I got home and they gave me 35 tablets of Clavamox that doesn’t even say “take X amount”.

Internet seems to say I can get these for $2 a pop at Walmart with a prescription. That’s hosed right?

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 9, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Uhhh so I just paid $265 for medicine. I got home and they gave me 35 tablets of Clavamox that doesn’t even say “take X amount”.

Internet seems to say I can get these for $2 a pop at Walmart with a prescription. That’s hosed right?
That's more than the emergency vet charged us when Brisket got sick on christmas day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I paid $125 for meds and a vet visit last month for the same thing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

At our vet, a walk in visit is $120. Was that part of the $265?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Clowner posted:

Nice to see that being a diva is a breed-specific behavior lol

Yeah, our boy is smart but he uses those smarts to be a total brat. He's cute though so we tolerate it.

Dog tax.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

alg posted:

At our vet, a walk in visit is $120. Was that part of the $265?

Nope, $178 for the antibiotics (35 pills), 85 for the anti inflammatory (14 pills). Seems, uh, excessively overpriced.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I appreciate everything vets do but oh boy they just go hogwild with the billing.

~20 years ago I took my mum’s dog to the vet with a suspected broken leg, they said they would need to do 3 x-rays at whatever the cost was per x-ray plus the appointment fees. Sure thing go ahead.

I get the call to pick her up afterwards and thankfully the leg isn’t broken it’s just a sprain, but they were so sure it was broken at first that they did 4 extra x-rays just to be super certain and I got to foot the bill for that too without so much as a “heads up we’re about to almost double that already spicy bill” to lube me up first.

If it was broken the insurance would have covered it at least but since it wasn’t that was all me!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My vet has always presented me with an invoice in advance of the work to be done, with any applicable warnings ("we won't know how bad the damage is until we get in there, so it's possible that we'll need to do more work which would increase the bill"). And then the bill has always matched the invoice. Guess I've just been lucky.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nope, $178 for the antibiotics (35 pills), 85 for the anti inflammatory (14 pills). Seems, uh, excessively overpriced.

It does.

I think I paid $20 for mine and I’m in LA where everything is over priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Many pharmacies will take pet prescriptions if they're the same drugs/dosages a human might take.

Ahboo's arthritis medicine was about $90 a month from the vet, but we realized we could get it filled at Publix for $22 a month. It's worth checking into, especially if your dog needs to take medication long-term.