Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pachylad posted:

Ongoing strike had me thinking about the last strike which had Dr Horrible and wow, talk about a shitshow of a cast and creative voice with Whedon, NPH and Fillon all being revealed various shades of rot from 'jerk' to 'unrepentant abuser'. At least Felicia Day's still cool?

Felicia Day was covering for Hardwick's patterns of abuse and and canceled all contracts with Chloe Dykstra when she came forward about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I'm guessing it may be easier to make a list of actors and actresses that AREN'T terrible people?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Zack Snyder.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Randalor posted:

Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorperated was the latest one I remember supposed to be fairly good, and that was 2010's. That being said, according to Wikipedia, there have been 14 Scooby-Doo series, and I'm honestly not sure if that sounds about 10 too many or 10 too few.

It's worth noting that a lot of people conflate the first, like, 5 or 6 series as one single "Original Scooby-Doo".

But there's was actually THE original (and for the pre-90's series...the best?) from the late 60's "Scooby-Doo, Where are You?"
Then, and I will probably get the order wrong they came out, was:
"The Scooby-Doo Mysteries." Longer, 1-hour episodes. The opening was the creepy eyes all staring at you, and had all the guest stars like Don Knots, Adam West and Burt Ward as the 1960's-era Batman and Robin, Sonny and Cher, etc..
"The New Scooby-Doo Show" - This was now like mid 70's? Similar format to the first, back to just 22 minute episodes, no guest stars, and introduced Scooby-Dum.
"Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo" - Ugh. Starting in late 70's into early 80's, there were like 2 or 3 different Scrappy-Doo series'. The first was the WHOLE crew, the second was just Scoob, Shaggy, and Scrappy, and the third added Daphne back in, but still no Fred or Velma. At least one or two of these had REAL ghosts/monsters (I think those has Shaggy in the red shirt.)

And then was the OTHER one from that era with real ghosts people remember more. "The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo." had Vincent Price as the opening narrator and occasional guest star, and some weird (and probably slightly problematic) kid named "Flim Flam" And again, only Daphne to accompany Shag, Scoob, and Scrappy.

I think the next after that was "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" which is ok?

Then the mid and late 90's had some movies that were really good, which SORT OF had a mild continuity with the original series or two. The premise of the first one was a sort of "getting the band back together" after they went their separate ways after they were sick of exposing all these old, white, landlords using rubber masks.

It ignored any of the previous shows where the ghosts were real, since "Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island" was them discovering (canonically for the first time) that monsters/ghosts are real in that continuity.

I know too much about Scooby-Doo. :negative:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

holy poo poo what

I just tried to explain Hong Kong Phooey to my wife the other day (unsuccessfully) and I also assumed it had at least three full seasons

according to wikipedia "The original episodes aired from September 7 to December 21, 1974" that's not even half a year

I still get 'Hong Kong Phooey, number one super guy' stuck in my head randomly from time to time. That show was on constantly, how did I never notice there were only 16 episodes as a kid?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A Pup Named Scooby-Doo was WAY better than it had any right to be for being part of the 90s 'spinoff babies' era. It's even one of the shows where they drop enough hints for the viewer to potentially figure out the culprit before the show reveals them.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hanna Barbera had been rebooting/revamping Scooby Doo since Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics in 1977 and Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo in 1979. A Pup Named Scooby-Doo came out in 1988, 35 years ago.

Yeah they kept trying to replicate the success of Scooby Doo over and over and over and over with the "3 to 5 teens plus [wacky character] who solve mysteries" format: Goober And The Ghost Chasers, Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels, Speed Buggy, The Funky Phantom, Clue Club, Jabberjaw, The New Shmoo, Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space, etc etc

They got two hits out of "cliché sitcom family, but in wacky setting!" so after caveman times and the future, why not ancient Rome? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F7hed5fcY8

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ponzicar posted:

They got two hits out of "cliché sitcom family, but in wacky setting!" so after caveman times and the future, why not ancient Rome? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F7hed5fcY8

Wow this is dogshit

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Captain Monkey posted:

I still get 'Hong Kong Phooey, number one super guy' stuck in my head randomly from time to time. That show was on constantly, how did I never notice there were only 16 episodes as a kid?

I grew up in the 70s watching this crap as it aired and I'm wondering the same thing.

I went to check one of the other staples of 70s cartoons, the Milton the Monster Show (which featured Fearless Fly) and turns out they only had 26 episodes.

Felt like that poo poo ran forever.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Speaking of media from the 70's, The Hilarious House of Frightenstein had 130 episodes, had Vincent Price as the narrator and was great in every way and has withstood the test of time. Right? ...right? :ohdear:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island is great for that one scene with the voodoo dolls that’s stuck in my head ever since.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jedit posted:

Don’t read up on Isaac Asimov at cons, then. Genius is so frequently connected to being skullfucked beyond redemption.

Nah. A lot of assholes that happen to have talent use that talent to cover up their crimes. Being skilled didn't make them lovely

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Schmoo

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Pachylad posted:

Ongoing strike had me thinking about the last strike which had Dr Horrible and wow, talk about a shitshow of a cast and creative voice with Whedon, NPH and Fillon all being revealed various shades of rot from 'jerk' to 'unrepentant abuser'. At least Felicia Day's still cool?

What's up with NPH and Fillion?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah. A lot of assholes that happen to have talent use that talent to cover up their crimes. Being skilled didn't make them lovely

We just had to spend the last few weeks arguing that exact point here in Australia after famed comedian/satirist and beloved national icon (but also extremely lovely transphobe and pedophile apologist) Barry Humphries died. Turns out there's a whooooooooooole lotta people who were more than happy to overlook his outspoken bigotry and his years of vilifying trans people and got outright angry if anyone mentioned it

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

GreenMetalSun posted:

Also curious about this. Apart from working with Whedon, I haven't heard anything bad about either of them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fillion made firefly

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Also curious about this. Apart from working with Whedon, I haven't heard anything bad about either of them.

The only thing I can find on Fillion is some people are saying he was accused of sexually harassing his co-stars on The Rookie and Castle, but trying to actually find anything about those... apparently it wasn't Fillion but a recurring guest star on the Rookie that was accused of sexual harassment, and everything I can find about his work on Castle was that he and Katic didn't get along at all, but nothing about sexual harassment claims.

So it sounds like he might be a dick to work with?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I grew up in the 70s watching this crap as it aired and I'm wondering the same thing.

I went to check one of the other staples of 70s cartoons, the Milton the Monster Show (which featured Fearless Fly) and turns out they only had 26 episodes.

Felt like that poo poo ran forever.

Syndication messing with you. Those old cartoons were dirt cheap for syndication so they got replayed a lot.

Randalor posted:

The only thing I can find on Fillion is some people are saying he was accused of sexually harassing his co-stars on The Rookie and Castle, but trying to actually find anything about those... apparently it wasn't Fillion but a recurring guest star on the Rookie that was accused of sexual harassment, and everything I can find about his work on Castle was that he and Katic didn't get along at all, but nothing about sexual harassment claims.

Yeah, the actress who played his training officer left because a recurring guest star was harassing her and the producers did nothing. So she left.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Felicia Day was covering for Hardwick's patterns of abuse and and canceled all contracts with Chloe Dykstra when she came forward about them.

:eng99:

GreenMetalSun posted:

exquisite tea posted:

Wait, what's wrong with NPH?

Randalor already mentioned the stuff with Fillon. NPH's biggest milkshake duck moment was the Amy Winehouse corpse cake he made 3 months after her death, that went viral last year, and he made an apology about that I guess. Beyond that just general unpleasantness I heard, though not to Whedon's or Fillon's (or even Day's?) level afaik.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
The only thing I can think of for NPH was the time he was kinda rude to Rachel Bloom.

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/rachel-bloom-neil-patrick-harris-twitter-tonys-1201974322/

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019

Captain Monkey posted:

Same! Also Jab-Jab-Jab-Jab-Jab-Jab-Jabberjaw, which is... less charming

Thomamelas posted:

Syndication messing with you. Those old cartoons were dirt cheap for syndication so they got replayed a lot.
I'm thinking of the story about how Star Trek's generally-crappy third season saved the show in the long run by giving it enough episodes to get syndicated. Did that not apply to cartoons?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Stonehouse Beach posted:

I'm thinking of the story about how Star Trek's generally-crappy third season saved the show in the long run by giving it enough episodes to get syndicated. Did that not apply to cartoons?

I think most cartoons existed to peddle merch, cash in and then get out while the getting was good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Randalor posted:

When everything was coming out about Whedon, Fillion was one of the male co-stars that came out in support of Whedon saying 'That's not my experience with him, I'd be happy to work with him any time he calls.'

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Stonehouse Beach posted:

100 was the magic number in the early 200s to mid 2000s. If your show could make it to 100 episodes, networks were willing to buy it in syndication to fill their time slots.

Simpler times.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Stonehouse Beach posted:

Hanna-Barbera would bundle them. So you get some Scooby some Jabberjaw, and some Wacky Races for example.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

When everything was coming out about Whedon, Fillion was one of the male co-stars that came out in support of Whedon saying 'That's not my experience with him, I'd be happy to work with him any time he calls.'

Several people did the same because like most successful monsters, Whedon could hide his horrific abuse from the people they don't want to see it. Alan Tudyk and James Marsters said similar, sort of half heartedly trying to justify it under the excuse that Whedon cared so much and took everything so seriously that ~maybe~ he crosssed some lines but it was part of what to expect in the industry.

Meanwhile you ask Nicholas Brendon and he'd tell you that Whedon abused him to the point of causing him to relapse into alcoholism. Charisma Carpenter would probably be the first one to light the pyre given the opportunity, and no idea what Michelle Tractenberg experience but the story was Whedon was barred by the studio from being alone with her.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Pachylad posted:

:eng99:

Randalor already mentioned the stuff with Fillon. NPH's biggest milkshake duck moment was the Amy Winehouse corpse cake he made 3 months after her death, that went viral last year, and he made an apology about that I guess. Beyond that just general unpleasantness I heard, though not to Whedon's or Fillon's (or even Day's?) level afaik.

I don't think I can ever get over the Amy Winehouse corpse cake. I remember when it was first revealed. Just a cartoony representation would have been bad enough, but it was lovingly made to be... Whatever you'd call the cake equivalent of photorealistic? Of her badly decayed corpse. Of a specific, recently deceased woman. Just unimaginable behavior.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mycatscrimes posted:

I don't think I can ever get over the Amy Winehouse corpse cake. I remember when it was first revealed. Just a cartoony representation would have been bad enough, but it was lovingly made to be... Whatever you'd call the cake equivalent of photorealistic? Of her badly decayed corpse. Of a specific, recently deceased woman. Just unimaginable behavior.

I mean how bad could that have lo- :dogstare:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Oh Jesus, that's worse than I expected.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The worst part to me is the little sign saying "The corpse of Amy Winehouse". Like he felt the need to Ben Garrison it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I've spent enough time on the internet that someone says "yeah, they made a cake looking like the corpse of a recently dead celebrity" and my immediate thought is "I don't want to see that, but I absolutely believe it's real."

Precedent already exists because of all the lovely Monica jokes that lasted WAAAAAY too long after the affair, and how Brittney was treated (and still gets treated today)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Seriously what the gently caress. Imagine going out of your way to have a cake made to look like the corpse of a recently deceased person for your Halloween party. He probably paid a lot of money to a professional to have it made.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I hope it was the same baker who did the cake for DEVO bassist Jerry Casale's 9/11-themed wedding.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I hope it was the same baker who did the cake for DEVO bassist Jerry Casale's 9/11-themed wedding.

Some sort of callous faux pas themed bakery?
"Tasteless but Delicious!"

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Torquemada posted:

Hong Kong Phooey. Jesus, I assumed it ran for like 8 years or something, because it was on UK kids tv constantly in the 70's and early 80's. There's 16 episodes.
I also had this particular assumption, but about Top Cat. That cartoon was shown almost daily in Mexico when I was a kid, it's still remembered fondly. 30 episodes, if Google isn't lying.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ponzicar posted:

The landlord being called "Mr Evictus" is pretty funny.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Some sort of callous faux pas themed bakery?
"Tasteless but Delicious!"

"Deliciously Tasteless"?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I remember before the recent Hanna-Barbera comic reboots there was a serious Space Ghost comic, not sure exactly when but I probably bought it (trade paperback) around 2008. It was pretty good! Kind of basic "special ops guy is betrayed and left for dead" origin, I think there was actually some supernatural poo poo that brought him back to life but maybe everyone just assumed he actually died. Anyway Zorak was there and was a cool hive-mind colony of space bugs, so killing one didn't matter because they were all Zorak. I think Brak was in it too? I gave it to a coworker years ago but I was actually impressed by it. Maybe look for it on Hoopla or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the terrible roman cartoon I love when a series has mostly gimmick names but then sneak a real person into the story, like the Asterix comics have mostly joke names like the druid Getafix or the hulking fool Obelix, but the tribe's leader Vercingetorix isn't a joke name - he was a real person, a real Gaulish chieftain.