Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

skasion posted:

The episode previews do spoil stuff but it’s in keeping with how the series presents itself. Both in real-life framing (it’s an adaptation of well-known novel series which finished before the show was released) and in-universe presentation, it acts as though its viewers will already understand at least the outline of the events it depicts. It’s framed as a kind of historical drama along the lines of Fall of Eagles or something. The omnipresent narrator is a didactic figure telling us about a golden age long past. He doesn’t care if what happens next week surprises you, because it all happened an arbitrary amount of time ago. No one would expect not to be spoiled on the fact Julius Caesar gets stabbed.

You say that, but:

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1645611551515107338?t=nGADX692v1US5x1sAdxEbg&s=19

Anyway there is no wrong way to watch LOGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

What's the spoiler policy in here given we have people watching it for the first time and this thread is 100 years old? I'm on my first watch through of the OVA at around episode 56 and want to post thoughts but don't want to spoil the new viewers.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

threeagainstfour posted:

What's the spoiler policy in here given we have people watching it for the first time and this thread is 100 years old? I'm on my first watch through of the OVA at around episode 56 and want to post thoughts but don't want to spoil the new viewers.

As one of the people watching it for the first time I say :justpost:, can't be demanding tags for a show this old

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
All shows are fair game after 4 years, the Time Has Passed

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Although there is no particular policy, I think it would be polite to be extremely oblique when posting untagged about a certain late sad episode if you know there's a first-time viewer around.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Everyone dies eventually.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In my experience this isn't true.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Does it make sense to watch Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War, then Neue These? I don't really want to go through the whole 110 episodes again let alone suggest it to someone else but ~my wife~ might be convinced to try Neue These.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 2, 2023

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Although there is no particular policy, I think it would be polite to be extremely oblique when posting untagged about a certain late sad episode if you know there's a first-time viewer around.

I think SA is different from other social media in that Twitter doesn't have working spoiler tags and SA does. They work really well from keeping seriously plot-critical stuff from newcomers and are easy to use, so I think it at least polite to new watchers, even if most of us are seasoned veterans of the tragic galactic war. Die Neue These seems to be bringing some new people onboard and I at least would be seriously miffed if I got spoiled on stuff like That Sad Thing everyone is referring to. For example, I'm really glad people put detailed discussion of important plot stuff behind spoiler tags in the Yakuza thread since I'm only now working my way through the series, even if it's for a game that's 15 years old by now. Makes for a welcoming posting environment for everyone regardless of how far along they are! :eng101:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think general instinct in most old show threads to post spoilers until someone pops in here and says hey guys I’m new to this show and then you start using spoiler tags or not posting spoilers

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd say always use spoiler tags for big massive events, but like, toga planet? fair game

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

eXXon posted:

Does it make sense to watch Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War, then Neue These? I don't really want to go through the whole 110 episodes again let alone suggest it to someone else but ~my wife~ might be convinced to try Neue These.

The change in animation style is enough I wouldn't bother switching like that. Just stay with DNT and go back to the old stuff if you want more after.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wouldn't insist that people hide the minutiae of every episode but for major events like character deaths or the overall outcomes of protracted wars it's probably worth spoilering just so this thread is friendly to new watchers/liveposters. Even if there are times the show hints at future events that's different to knowing something will happen dozens of episodes in advance.

Incidentally the episode titles thing is funny, "Joey Wheeler loving dies" seems to be a surprisingly popular naming scheme for older anime episodes

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

I remember posters on the forums getting pissed about people spoiling the "twist" of the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds movie :rolleye:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd say always use spoiler tags for big massive events, but like, toga planet? fair game

skasion posted:

No one would expect not to be spoiled on the fact Julius Caesar gets stabbed.

:hmmyes:

As for spoilers we're all thinking of the same thing, so probably a decent rule of thumb would be character deaths and related discussions are always behind spoilers, everything else is open.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

kdrudy posted:

In fact, try to ignore episode names as well.
lol used the auto-rename feature in Sonarr and regretted it immediately when half of the file names changed to “Despair! Your Favorite Dude Eats poo poo and is Dead from the Carpetbombing of The Battle of Ataxsis!”

also do not google ANYTHING

skasion posted:

No one would expect not to be spoiled on the fact Julius Caesar gets stabbed.
nah man, LOGH is not as famous as Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar. ridiculously stupid comparison.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 3, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TenementFunster posted:

nah man, LOGH is not as famous as Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar. ridiculously stupid comparison.

I think they were saying that's how the story is presented in-universe. LOGH in LOGH-world is like a WW2 documentary to us, and somebody getting pissed off when they get spoiled on Hitler's death or something.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Takes No Damage posted:

I think they were saying that's how the story is presented in-universe. LOGH in LOGH-world is like a WW2 documentary to us, and somebody getting pissed off when they get spoiled on Hitler's death or something.
i hope so!

i do love when the narrator says poo poo like “future historians would consider Yang Wen-li a stupid bitch for doing this”.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
At the end of Die Neue These the narrator reveals themselves as a highly advanced human from the year 20,000

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Steve Yun posted:

At the end of Die Neue These the narrator reveals themselves as a highly advanced human from the year 20,000

that’s only 19,202 in the New Reich Calendar

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The look Yang gives his wife when his twink comes home

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

War and Pieces posted:

The look Yang gives his wife when his twink comes home

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

That's only because he comes bearing alcohol, and how could you not be happy about humanity's friend.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'm waiting for the nerds who are doing the laserdisc project to finish up for my next rewatch. Sooooo stoked about the work they're doing.

Here's their latest teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3dMrtnN7Fc

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 4, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I check the discord every few weeks as well, praying they don't get burned out or lose the LDs in a house fire or something :ohdear:

I tried to get them to just do a basic rip and throw the torrents out there so we'd have SOME kind of source and people can come along later and filter/color correct/sub them however they want, but that wasn't nerdy enough :(

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

lmao @ the exchange around the 3 minute mark. The deeds of men throughout time remain the same indeed

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Mederlock posted:

I'm waiting for the nerds who are doing the laserdisc project to finish up for my next rewatch. Sooooo stoked about the work they're doing.

The audio and visuals seem somewhat desynced for me. It's especially noticeable when Reinhard is tapping his teacup (wired headphones). I'm just going to assume that it's youtube doing something dumb. They're saying nothing is off, so I'm just hoping it's something specific to the platform.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

DNT needs to come out faster. I need to see Katerose's new design. I need it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am loving DNT so I also want the next chunk to come.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I haven't watched the last two seasons of DNT, where did they leave off?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

I haven't watched the last two seasons of DNT, where did they leave off?

Empire invaded Fezzan

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Infected posted:

That's only because he comes bearing alcohol, and how could you not be happy about humanity's friend.

Julian is actually quite stingy with the brandy tea as supposed to Frederica who provides it without even being asked

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

War and Pieces posted:

Julian is actually quite stingy with the brandy tea as supposed to Frederica who provides it without even being asked

And yet household expenses for alcohol doubled in the time that Julian was with Yang

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

War and Pieces posted:

Best Girl + shorty trying to smash

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/AniNewsAndFacts/status/1656294829243105281?cxt=HHwWgoDQxeXXq_wtAAAA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I mean, I'm going to find a way to watch it and see.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Me too!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mederlock posted:

Just before every cut the video shifts to the right and then back to the left and it's super distracting, what's up with that?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i'm at ep 75, i and love the Mittermeier/Reuentahl bromance so much. i'm sure everything will work out fine for those two galactic heroes

eXXon posted:

Just before every cut the video shifts to the right and then back to the left and it's super distracting, what's up with that?
well now i see it, and it's all i can see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Best bros forever