Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I really should start pirating EA games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Some of these Force Tear battles are some serious loving bullshit

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

haldolium posted:

Just ignore this dumb message unless you're playing it on more than one computer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Just to be clear, are you supposed to be individually parrying each hit in multihit combos (or at least is it supposed to be possible)? It feels like those are usually what mess me up against human enemies. Like I'll parry the first attack and then get hit when releasing the guard to parry the next (even if I do it super fast), which I think is because you're actually supposed to hit L1 early to parry (which isn't exactly possible in a quick combo).

RatHat posted:

Some of these Force Tear battles are some serious loving bullshit

While I beat the first one (after a couple tries), it mostly consisted of me just dodging constantly (after quickly killing the two regular battle droids). This game isn't the best suited for fighting multiple enemies (at least when you can't mind-control any of them). It's the most fun when you can just focus on one or two guys, but the targeting ends up loving you over against more than that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 3, 2023

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Maybe I kinda tuned out this part, but could someone explain the villain story and motivation of Dagan?

From what I can tell, his story seems to be he found a planet that's only really interesting because it's hard to find. He wants to create an academy or something there, the Jedi Council says no, and he throws a temper tantrum and turns dark side. Now he's trying to get back there, but why? What does he intend to do and why is it so necessary to stop him?

SolarFire2 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 3, 2023

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Just to be clear, are you supposed to be individually parrying each hit in multihit combos (or at least is it supposed to be possible)? It feels like those are usually what mess me up against human enemies. Like I'll parry the first attack and then get hit when releasing the guard to parry the next (even if I do it super fast), which I think is because you're actually supposed to hit L1 early to parry (which isn't exactly possible in a quick combo).

it's definitely possible to parry each individual hit of a combo, what difficulty are you on? parry windows get pretty unforgiving on higher difficulties

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Just ignore this dumb message unless you're playing it on more than one computer.

are you confusing this with the normal sync error that lets you choose either local or cloud save? because this one clearly says your save data will be hosed if you start regardless as it doesn't find local save data.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

haldolium posted:

are you confusing this with the normal sync error that lets you choose either local or cloud save? because this one clearly says your save data will be hosed if you start regardless as it doesn't find local save data.

Possibly. I've had the EA app lie about that before with mass effect though. Always back up your EA save games just in case. Survivor is in C:\Users\[Your Username]\Saved Games\Respawn\JediSurvivor

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

haldolium posted:

It's wrong, you're fine. It's been happening with this game.

Worst case scenario even if it is the legit error, as soon as you start you'd notice because it wouldn't have a Continue option. Nothing would save to override your game from opening the menu, so you could back out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ytlaya posted:

While I beat the first one (after a couple tries), it mostly consisted of me just dodging constantly (after quickly killing the two regular battle droids). This game isn't the best suited for fighting multiple enemies (at least when you can't mind-control any of them). It's the most fun when you can just focus on one or two guys, but the targeting ends up loving you over against more than that.

You have two options with an attack coming in:

1- Tap and parry: this will require perfect timing but you will recover and can tap to parry follow ups.

2- Parry and hold: if you hold the button even a little you switch into the block animation stance which has a bunch of recovery frames as you're exiting out of it, meaning follow up parries are probably hard if they're coming fast and you just need to hold the block and weather the combo.

This is on Jedi Master that I'm playing, but it's pretty consistent and the timing is pretty tight since just like Fallen Order the devs said they internally test and build on that difficulty, so once again it's the tightest gameplay with the windows and crap. The advantage to 1 is that if you can land multiple perfect parries you can not only break their stance much faster, maybe even at the end of the combo, but if they break on your parry they'll go into that brief stunned state+/- the target on them where you can immediately counterattack for a stupid amount of damage and just kill them with a sweet finisher.

Advantage to 2 is that if you gently caress up the timing even slightly on 1 you're about to get your poo poo pushed in hard, whereas doing 2 means you're still mostly safe.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 3, 2023

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

It's wrong, you're fine. It's been happening with this game.

Worst case scenario even if it is the legit error, as soon as you start you'd notice because it wouldn't have a Continue option. Nothing would save to override your game from opening the menu, so you could back out.

it did already self resolve but the amount of EA launcher errors I got from this game already surpasses the entirety of errors I got from Steam for any game over the course of the last year. Kinda more annoying to me as ingame problems which I have a bit more understanding for. Origin launched like 10 years ago or so and still sucks so much.

Games still good though.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ice Fist posted:

I beat the rancor. In true souls fashion I spent 15 tries or something, at least half of them hopping into the arena and promptly being eaten, another 5 or so I died when it had a sliver of health left, and the one where I finally did it I was like the anti-rancor god and could not be touched gently caress you rancor.

Dropped into the rancor on my first time on kohboh or whatever and since it seemed like an early game sidequest I didn't realize the rancor was gonna basically 1 shot me (on jedi master difficulty early game) :argh:

Did the same thing, though I didn't beat it flawlessly I had red health and 0 stims left lol Was pretty easy once I baited him into his lunge attack but I just had to try and avoid all his regular moves. I know they went for a dark souls style combat system but its not even 50% as crisp/precise as a fromsoft game's combat. Parrying / blocking / dodging are a free for all especially with the animal enemies.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How long has the game been taking for folks to complete? I'm at the return to Jeddah, heading to the Pilgrim's Sanctuary, and don't really have a feel for how far along the way I am without looking up a walkthrough.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

How long has the game been taking for folks to complete? I'm at the return to Jeddah, heading to the Pilgrim's Sanctuary, and don't really have a feel for how far along the way I am without looking up a walkthrough.

My extremely-casual-barely-doing-any-side-content run clocked in at about 15-16 hours, so it's easily a 20+-hour game if you're going for everything

You're about 70% of the way through

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh wow, I was hoping I was less of the way than that. Well, I'll have time to run back through again before Zelda come out, then.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh wow, I was hoping I was less of the way than that. Well, I'll have time to run back through again before Zelda come out, then.

Im at the same point in the and I think theres still much to explore given how many paths are still blocked.

still need to beat the Rancor too.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Captain Hygiene posted:

I think other poster was thinking of something else - you're only around 40-50% through.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Went through all the holotactics opponents, and rawkas are just hilariously broken. I had rounds for the last opponent where I would beat them with just five rawkas and had like 19 points left over.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

I finished at 28 hours, doing some optional stuff but skipping a fair amount of it especially later in the game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

it's definitely possible to parry each individual hit of a combo, what difficulty are you on? parry windows get pretty unforgiving on higher difficulties

I'm on the "normal" difficulty (Jedi Knight IIRC). I think something is just off about how I'm processing the timing. I try to hit it when hits connect, but that doesn't seem to consistently work (while sometimes it will work when I didn't think it would).

Fuzz posted:

You have two options with an attack coming in:

1- Tap and parry: this will require perfect timing but you will recover and can tap to parry follow ups.

2- Parry and hold: if you hold the button even a little you switch into the block animation stance which has a bunch of recovery frames as you're exiting out of it, meaning follow up parries are probably hard if they're coming fast and you just need to hold the block and weather the combo.

I wonder if I'm maybe holding down guard too long after the first parry, causing it to switch to a guard and the next parry to not come in on time. Hopefully that's the issue.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I can't believe I haven't seen anyone talking about Skoova. I love Skoova. Awesome character design.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Everyone loves scuba steve and all the other weird gleep glops

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

I think other poster was thinking of something else - you're only around 40-50% through.

Oh, even better :toot:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Does gardening eventually give you anything in-game like perks or cosmetics, or is it just a collecting thing? I guess there might a be "Got all the seeds" trophy for insane completionists.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Anyone know if EA Play/Steam versions play nice together? If I buy the dumb EA Play Plus Pro+ subscription to try the game out but eventually get it on steam, will my save file be compatible/will I have to redownload it?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

haldolium posted:

EA likes to use Denuvo which is the latest and greatest DRM solution and only one cracker manages to release anything from it and is an insane person. Just look up Harry Potter and Empress and you'll get the gist of it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

George H.W. oval office posted:

EA likes to use Denuvo which is the latest and greatest DRM solution and only one cracker manages to release anything from it and is an insane person. Just look up Harry Potter and Empress and you'll get the gist of it.

Don't sleep on this -- even in terms of weird internet people Empress is next-level bananas. https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/rowk83/digital_piracy_the_rise_of_empress_how_one_woman/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I thought one you was joking about the Roadhouse achievement, but you were definitely telling the truth.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Semi-related: Once you get to the training dummy in Jedha (it's in the critical path), put on the headband and hit the dummy with a weapon

Achievement unlocked: Cobra Cal

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Don't sleep on this -- even in terms of weird internet people Empress is next-level bananas. https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/rowk83/digital_piracy_the_rise_of_empress_how_one_woman/

:stare:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

isk posted:

Semi-related: Once you get to the training dummy in Jedha (it's in the critical path), put on the headband and hit the dummy with a weapon

Achievement unlocked: Cobra Cal

I got that one on accident. I happened to have the headband on when I was on Jedha.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Went through all the holotactics opponents, and rawkas are just hilariously broken. I had rounds for the last opponent where I would beat them with just five rawkas and had like 19 points left over.

i found a droideka (or two) behind a line of gorgers to be hilariously effective

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I’m kind of bummed that turning off raytracing solved my crashing issues. I have a 4070ti and it ran great up to the cere intro and just started crashing randomly after that until I turned it off. Still an extremely fun and pretty game tho.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Lol EA login servers are down and now no one can play this entirely offline game.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I got to that scene where Bode kills Cordova and I was thinking, why is nobody using their force powers to stop it.

In general, I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but there are lots of leaps of logic. Like, you get to a secluded and closed off area that you could only access using your super strong force powers, and there are random raiders, droids, and imperials there already.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

I got to that scene where Bode kills Cordova and I was thinking, why is nobody using their force powers to stop it.

In general, I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but there are lots of leaps of logic. Like, you get to a secluded and closed off area that you could only access using your super strong force powers, and there are random raiders, droids, and imperials there already.

Everyone but you has a jetpack.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

TK-42-1 posted:

I’m kind of bummed that turning off raytracing solved my crashing issues. I have a 4070ti and it ran great up to the cere intro and just started crashing randomly after that until I turned it off. Still an extremely fun and pretty game tho.

same thing happens to me, i just turn off raytacing whenever i'm on jedha, so far it's been fine everywhere else

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress this dumb frog

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drat, that flying portal setpiece on Jedha was neat, some classic Respawn stuff.

On the flip side, I went back to Coruscant to clear out some areas behind green forcefields, and there's one in the meat factory that crashes the game every time I hop on the elevator in there. What are they trying to hide? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is the last traversal power the balloon hookshot? Just trying to figure out when I can revisit areas without hitting more barriers