Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It jammed because the troops were told it was a self cleaning rifle and other nonsense, the AR is actually super mud resistant compared to most rifles

The forward assist fixes nothing, ramming a cartridge into the chamber when it's obstructed but mud and grit does not help the situation, it is a totally useless feature that just gives the troop another way of loving up the gun if it does malfunction.

Admittedly, there are other weird issues as well, such as having a significantly heavier barrel with a 3 round burst. Also, while ARs usually do well in mud/sand, they usually do less well in deep frost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, there are other weird issues as well, such as having a significantly heavier barrel with a 3 round burst. Also, while ARs usually do well in mud/sand, they usually do less well in deep frost.

Well that won't be a problem for long

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

It jammed because the troops were told it was a self cleaning rifle and other nonsense, the AR is actually super mud resistant compared to most rifles

The chrome lined barrels mean the gun is so clean it doesn't need it doesn't need cleaning kits. Also it can use dirtier burning ammo because it is so clean. It is so clean they got rid of the chrome lined barrels.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
we put a pencil barrel on it that warps after 10 rounds and makes your zero useless because of weight savings but gave everyone a big heavy underbarrel grenade launcher anyway

DefectiveTongue
Apr 27, 2023

by vyelkin
so russia kills china, russia, kills the usa, russia becomes one-world mafioso "government" as we enter the space community. russia eventually runs out of leadership and the proletariat finally regain control over the earth

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
uh, what

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

so russia kills china, russia, kills the usa, russia becomes one-world mafioso "government" as we enter the space community. russia eventually runs out of leadership and the proletariat finally regain control over the earth

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clzx434IV6o

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

DefectiveTongue posted:

been saying this

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Money will spent I guess

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It definitely can't plummet out of the sky perfectly vertically no

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Filthy Hans posted:

wasn't there some weird quirk of military geopolitics that saw US warplanes being sold to Afghanistan and Russian warplanes sold to India after the partition

What? No. Both the Indian and pakistani militaries until the mid 60s were running western kit. The indian government pivoted away from the US and replaced it with Soviet kit in the aftermath of the 1965 war because the Johnson administration blocked arms sales to both countries - Pakistan being an islamic country found ways to replace their existing kit with american weapons from assorted american vassal states in the middle east and the occasional chinese import. It has resulted in weird stuff like soviet era carriers flying both harriers and Mig 29Ks

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

quote:

Steve Hassna in turn talked about how he withdrew from close contact with his fellow soldiers after he was severely wounded (by American artillery)

lol

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

mlmp08 posted:

China’s test program is impressive because they just build a shitload. If a bunch of them fail, cool, that’s science, build the next versions and fire all of those and see which ones fail or work.

A better plan than trying to build it perfect the first time or quitting after a test failure.

high throughput missile screening

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

X-posting

They added tiers to the meetings I have to attend with the MIC

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

quote:

opportunity for professional headshots

the 360deg kind?

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Frosted Flake posted:

X-posting

the falling dominos meme but at the start it says "bethesda releases horse armour DLC for elder scrolls IV" and at the other end it says "frosted flake is charged $250 for coffee"

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

X-posting

professional headshots at a defense conference in canada sounds like a maid thing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

LinkedIn delenda est

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Meals Speeches

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/03/us-air-force-retreats-from-taiwan-as-china-builds/

Gotta love when even UK right wing rags state the obvious about the sorry state of the US military branches

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cookie Cutter posted:

the falling dominos meme but at the start it says "bethesda releases horse armour DLC for elder scrolls IV" and at the other end it says "frosted flake is charged $250 for coffee"

It’s a trade show so they expect people are filing expense reports to their employer.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Frosted Flake posted:

X-posting

if you have to pay an extra $249 for the complimentary coffee, it's not complimentary

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

skooma512 posted:

It’s a trade show so they expect people are filing expense reports to their employer.

and free coffee means more per diem for booze

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Cookie Cutter posted:

It's actually $450 for coffee now if you haven't already paid up

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

skooma512 posted:

Yeah normally you attract potential customers to your trade show so that you can charge exhibitors the dollars to have the booth space to sell to them

This is the internet double-dealing thing where you monetize the customers too because Number Go Up

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Weird. They didn't show that part in Rambo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Platoon depicted that pretty well imo

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

It's actually $750 for coffee now if you haven't already paid up

ftfy

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/03/us-air-force-retreats-from-taiwan-as-china-builds/

Gotta love when even UK right wing rags state the obvious about the sorry state of the US military branches

Is PLA really adding "hundreds of new planes" every year? Or that's just MIC paid writers' template?

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 21:41 on May 3, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is PLA really adding "hundreds of new planes" every year? Or that's just MIC paid writers' template?

maybe/probably. a lot of the really huge numbers are being reported by places I don't personally trust but who are aligned and symbiotic with western defense agencies, MIC, etc. Stuff like https://www.iiss.org/online-analysis//military-balance/2023/02/chinas-air-force-modernisation-gaining-pace. something like https://media.defense.gov/2022/Nov/29/2003122279/-1/-1/1/2022-MILITARY-AND-SECURITY-DEVELOPMENTS-INVOLVING-THE-PEOPLES-REPUBLIC-OF-CHINA.PDF describes the build up/modernization/whatever a little more measured. there aren't any good hard numbers for most things but i'd consder these part of the same kind of oh-poo poo reaction.

i think the aircraft carrier count for china has/is increasing at a rate that makes the other exaggerated-sounding numbers actually seem pretty small. that isn't really fudgeable in the same way and it's much more impressive to build a carrier fleet from basically nothing that fast than to up production of domestic fighters.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I had some exposure to the hypersonic issue. When China had first announced its working prototype, and Russia shortly thereafter (may have that backwards) a lot of folks in the DoD and congressional community were saying that it was either bullshit or a non issue. behind the scenes, the DoD and DoE were panicking trying to figure it out.

Just to clarify, ICBMs do like mach 30+ on re entry but are only in atmosphere for less than a minute before impact, usually way less. they are ballistic though so their trajectory is known and can be intercepted hypothetically anywhere after launch. The new vehicles announced by those dastardly reds is a cruise type object, meaning two things. 1) It spends most or at least more of its time in the atmosphere and 2) it can turn.

The technology hurdle is basically about material science. for something yo sustain those speeds in atmosphere has to withstand temperatures of like 3000c for an extended period of time and it cant be reactive with oxygen (lol). certain odd configurations of carbon were being tried at the time but they would react with the atmosphere and become brittle and decompose in flight until failure. They were them messing with some ceramic doping of the wild carbon, but at least last I heard, the figured the reds had solved the material heat tolerance at extended duration problem and the west had not.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Basic Poster posted:

I had some exposure to the hypersonic issue. When China had first announced its working prototype, and Russia shortly thereafter (may have that backwards) a lot of folks in the DoD and congressional community were saying that it was either bullshit or a non issue. behind the scenes, the DoD and DoE were panicking trying to figure it out.
The reds had solved the material heat tolerance at extended duration problem and the west had not.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Basic Poster posted:

Just to clarify, ICBMs do like mach 30+ on re entry but are only in atmosphere for less than a minute before impact, usually way less. they are ballistic though so their trajectory is known and can be intercepted hypothetically anywhere after launch. The new vehicles announced by those dastardly reds is a cruise type object, meaning two things. 1) It spends most or at least more of its time in the atmosphere and 2) it can turn.

The technology hurdle is basically about material science. for something yo sustain those speeds in atmosphere has to withstand temperatures of like 3000c for an extended period of time and it cant be reactive with oxygen (lol). certain odd configurations of carbon were being tried at the time but they would react with the atmosphere and become brittle and decompose in flight until failure. They were them messing with some ceramic doping of the wild carbon, but at least last I heard, the figured the reds had solved the material heat tolerance at extended duration problem and the west had not.

is there some reason the heat tiles from the space shuttle wouldn’t have worked for HGV? that had a pretty prolonged reentry

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is there some reason the heat tiles from the space shuttle wouldn’t have worked for HGV? that had a pretty prolonged reentry

I guess it wasn’t “long enough”. The shuttle re-entry times weren’t considered long enough. I think they were looking for on the order of tens of minutes. Like the ability to re-enter atmosphere outside airspace and get to some reasonably low altitude for whatever reason and then be a mach 5+ cruise missile over the extent of one pf those two countries.

The argument at the time was something like “okay sure, our 60 year investment in the MDA and nato and all that is maybe moot but it doesn’t matter because we maintained out 2nd strike superiority so whatever”. This was a literal argument in congress between elected officials and policy experts. They all had a side depending on how much pork any given side could pluck out for their Prime contractor of preference

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

heya FF. I said the same thing very early in the Ukraine thread and got ripped to shreds for everyone thinking that hypersonic should would ever matter. Not that it does necessarily. Just another weapons platform in an endless arms race but I do remember you being quite nice about it back then :)

I think the point your making is the US was packing dual layer warheads in the nose cone which…yeah still impractical I guess unless its a strictly strategic device. The new eastern HGVs being touted in parades are apparently “strategically capable” which definitely not incendiary

Basic Poster has issued a correction as of 04:23 on May 8, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Basic Poster posted:

heya FF. I said the same thing very early in the Ukraine thread and got ripped to shreds for everyone thinking that hypersonic should would ever matter. Not that it does necessarily. Just another weapons platform in an endless arms race but I do remember you being quite nice about it back then :)

I think the point your making is the US was packing dual layer warheads in the nose cone which…yeah still impractical I guess unless its a strictly strategic device. The new eastern HGVs being touted in parades are apparently “strategically capable” which definitely not incendiary

My point was more that our "technologically backward" foes have an annoying habit of doing things that are "theoretically feasible but, up to now, impractical" - especially where missiles are concerned.

What I posted was from a NATO report in 1990 that was on the cusp of the realization that Soviet ATGMs had tandem warheads, which completely reversed the scoffing that they were less effective than their NATO counterparts by virtue of being smaller in diameter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How far of a distance could you cover at hypersonic speeds if you "only" had five minutes to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

How far of a distance could you cover at hypersonic speeds if you "only" had five minutes to do it

... is this a trick question about non-dimensional mach number or parabolic trajectories and ground distance or something?

if not, hypersonic means somewhere between 5 and 10 times the speed of sound. sea level, 20c air has a sound speed of 343 m/s. so total displacement is around 500 to 1000km in 5 min ballpark. DC to Moscow is like 8000km on a great circle. so 40-80 minutes. ICBM travel times are like... 30 minutes? around that.

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 05:36 on May 8, 2023