Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cryptocurrencies carry all the downsides and none of the upsides of fiat currency and it’s wild to me so many people were convinced of the opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/brazil-police-raid-bolsonaros-home-part-covid-vaccine-probe-source-2023-05-03/

Please. Leave my boy alone. He's got all of the coronavirus.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Please. Leave my boy alone. He's got all of the coronavirus.

Bolsonaro, glaring hard at his science staff: BUT WHAT IF I WANT TO GET SICK AND GO TO THE HOSPITAL

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Update to Elno fighting with NPR: he's not mad and he's not owned. Definitely tell everyone that he's not mad and not owned. He's having a great time and laughing. Definitely tell everyone that he's laughing and having a great time and not owned or mad.

https://twitter.com/BobbyAllyn/status/1653820431621668869?t=OiiWzuEcuhKku6FmFQaOgA&s=19

quote:

In an email sent at 2:19 a.m. EST after the story was originally published, Musk wrote a message without any text in the body but with this subject line: "You suck."

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 3, 2023

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Tiny Timbs posted:

Cryptocurrencies carry all the downsides and none of the upsides of fiat currency and it’s wild to me so many people were convinced of the opposite

.jpegs as an investment opportunity is still so brain-breakingly stupid that I can't even form cogent sentences about it

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
JPEGs have losses baked in, you should have invested in PNGs :dadjoke:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

.jpegs as an investment opportunity is still so brain-breakingly stupid that I can't even form cogent sentences about it

The best part was that you weren't even really buying the jpegs, you were buying a link to the jpegs.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

McNally posted:

This guy goes in circles

Explains the sonic booms and flash kicks. (Guile from Street Fighter has flag tattoos on each shoulder, like any patriot should)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

You'll be able to use them to decorate your virtual real estate!

*looks like trapper keeper art a middle schooler would have circa 1998*

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Milo and POTUS posted:

You'll be able to use them to decorate your virtual real estate!

*looks like trapper keeper art a middle schooler would have circa 1998*

Are you implying that this was a bad look?

Were there Lisa Frank NFTs?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Are you implying that this was a bad look?

Were there Lisa Frank NFTs?

No because there was actual authorship behind Lisa Frank art.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Lake of Methane posted:

I'm watching this press conference in Texas after a search found a mass-shooter, and this guy is standing in the background. Why does his uniform look weird?

y

I think that's the BORTAC rough uniform so yeah, CBP.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

facialimpediment posted:

Update to Elno fighting with NPR: he's not mad and he's not owned. Definitely tell everyone that he's not mad and not owned. He's having a great time and laughing. Definitely tell everyone that he's laughing and having a great time and not owned or mad.

AI will never be able to generate content this good

https://twitter.com/BobbyAllyn/status/1653840075933769728

Lake of Methane posted:

I'm watching this press conference in Texas after a search found a mass-shooter, and this guy is standing in the background. Why does his uniform look weird?

y

That guy has Pablo Picasso rear end shoulders, drat

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lake of Methane posted:

y

The collar is sad, with low energy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

A.o.D. posted:

No because there was actual authorship behind Lisa Frank art.

Do not go down this rabbit hole.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Terrifying Effigies posted:

AI will never be able to generate content this good

https://twitter.com/BobbyAllyn/status/1653840075933769728

That guy has Pablo Picasso rear end shoulders, drat

what on earth does this mean lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Elon is being a whiney baby about NPR embarrassing him

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

Musk doesn’t like the people he’s doing dumb poo poo to writing about his dumb poo poo.

https://twitter.com/BobbyAllyn/status/1653820431621668869

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No I meant about picasso

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That was Malachor V, but they lured them into battle there

I'm glad you remember details like that. Malachor V is like Battle of Yavin level of importance in the timeline. KOTOR still good.

But if anybody needs some non-mouse original and off the beaten path stories there is always Gideon the Ninth to read (or reread)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Woz: vanguard of the Butlerian Jihad?

https://twitter.com/parismarx/status/1653872021544095745

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Those flags make him look like he's wearing a Cubist uniform, it's like you can see his front and both sides at once :thejoke:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm glad you remember details like that. Malachor V is like Battle of Yavin level of importance in the timeline. KOTOR still good.

But if anybody needs some non-mouse original and off the beaten path stories there is always Gideon the Ninth to read (or reread)

KOTOR II is the best star wars ever got

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

based

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The ending in Kotor 2 was such a massively unsatisfying rush job that I almost threw my xbox out the window when I completed the game. IIRC there was a large amount of drama when people discovered files in the game that suggested that Obsidian had a whole different ending planned that actually made sense, but they didn't have the time/resources to implement it before they needed to get the game out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
KOTOR II was bad unless you got the fan-made patches.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

You can find videos with the reconstructed bits being played on yt

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The ending in Kotor 2 was such a massively unsatisfying rush job that I almost threw my xbox out the window when I completed the game. IIRC there was a large amount of drama when people discovered files in the game that suggested that Obsidian had a whole different ending planned that actually made sense, but they didn't have the time/resources to implement it before they needed to get the game out.

sith lords reconstruction project, enjoy it as it was meant to be (well, mostly)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Clarence Thomas got custody of his great nephew when he was 6. Harlan Crow paid for his tuition at two different boarding schools. None of this was disclosed and the tuition likely eclipsed $150k.

https://www.propublica.org/article/clarence-thomas-harlan-crow-private-school-tuition-scotus

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 4, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So what if it’s a textbook ethics violation and a serious one?

Justices of the Supreme Court are beholden, legally, only to a two-thirds majority in the Senate.

And for whatever power the Court of Public Opinion has, “this guy was taking care of his nephew and his wealthy friend chipped in tuition” is no big deal. It doesn’t matter that that’s an inaccurate summary. They can and they will flood the zone with poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Platystemon posted:

So what if it’s a textbook ethics violation and a serious one?

Justices of the Supreme Court are beholden, legally, only to a two-thirds majority in the Senate.

And for whatever power the Court of Public Opinion has, “this guy was taking care of his nephew and his wealthy friend chipped in tuition” is no big deal. It doesn’t matter that that’s an inaccurate summary. They can and they will flood the zone with poo poo.

Yeah there's absolutely nothing that will be done because there is nothing that can be done. It's just amazing to see how brazenly corrupt they are.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's just amazing to see how brazenly corrupt they are.

Who among us would not take free money with no repercussions? What's a little thing like ethical standards worth anyway.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah there's absolutely nothing that will be done because there is nothing that can be done. It's just amazing to see how brazenly corrupt they are.

Brazenly corrupt, sure, but loving hell is it embarrassing that the future of the entire nation is worth a few hundred thousand to these people. Their owners are going to make endless billions off of their purchase of the supreme court, at least treat it like there was some value there. Also, have some respect for the 300 million people you're loving over with this stuff. At least try to make it seem like there's a good price tag on all of their lives and futures.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

These things do add up and have downstream effects. Things like judicial reform and court packing become more viable as the court loses legitimacy in the public eye.

edit: quoted the wrong post

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 4, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Jarmak posted:

These things do add up and have downstream effects. Things like judicial reform and court packing become more viable as the court loses legitimacy in the public eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBFDdTIYZ6Q

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 4, 2023

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

:jerkbag:

Edit: who do you think James Baldwin is responding to in that quote? What idea do you think he was trying to express?

It sure as gently caress wasn't opposition to the idea that battles we lose today can make progress towards winning them in the future. It sure as gently caress wasn't that the morally superior position is to give up if we can't solve the problem today.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 4, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

Brazenly corrupt, sure, but loving hell is it embarrassing that the future of the entire nation is worth a few hundred thousand to these people.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Unlike a senator he sold out for an amount I could almost respect. None of that 10k to reelection fund bullshit, 100 mil is a chunk of change

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

I believe all of this information has been made public due to a judicial disclosure law that was passed recently. I'm sure that there are a number of parties with cases before the court that are very interested in what's going on behind the scenes. It does appear that factions within the conservative right have been making very deliberate inroads into SCOTUS in an effort to help shape legal interpretation. Whether that is a tolerable state of affairs for the right, let alone the whole country, remains to be seen.

but yeah I wouldn't wait on congress or SCOTUS if you want to see any type of progress in this country.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grip it and rip it posted:

I believe all of this information has been made public due to a judicial disclosure law that was passed recently. I'm sure that there are a number of parties with cases before the court that are very interested in what's going on behind the scenes. It does appear that factions within the conservative right have been making very deliberate inroads into SCOTUS in an effort to help shape legal interpretation. Whether that is a tolerable state of affairs for the right, let alone the whole country, remains to be seen.

but yeah I wouldn't wait on congress or SCOTUS if you want to see any type of progress in this country.

The only way congress can do anything is by getting 2/3rds of the senate to be non-republican.

There are 11 current republican senators up in 2024. If all of them flip, the senate will be 62-38. That's enough to pass laws but not enough to impeach.

Republican seats up in 2024: Florida, Indiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska x2, North Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's the worst, with the most insufferable villain.