Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

absolutely pumped as gently caress for ryan truex, this dude has deserved this win for over a decade. i can't remember the last time i got actually emotional over a nascar race (except for the emotion Anger, which happens often)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

And he did it by absolutely thumping the field

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah was really happy for him too. Dude deserved it and destroyed the field

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I can't stop laughing at Gragson's new haircut.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sounds like we're going back to the future (again) with the new TV deal, with FOX and NBC bracketing somebody in the TNT slot.

quote:

NASCAR execs are taking meetings with a host of digital media companies today and tomorrow, as the racing circuit’s exclusive negotiating window with Fox and NBC ended today.

NASCAR execs still haven’t decided how to structure a digital streaming package, waiting to hear plans suggested by companies like Amazon, Apple and Google/YouTube. It’s unlikely that NASCAR will offer its marquee events, such as the Daytona 500 or NASCAR playoffs, to a streamer.

Most likely, NASCAR will look to carve out a mid-summer package of races, similar to the six-race package TNT carried until 2014. The thought is that digital companies will have interest in these races that generally bring in solid TV audiences and have little competition from other sports.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-Media/2023/05/01.aspx

...and I'm really not looking forward to streaming-only if it comes to that given some of the luck I've had with streaming platforms.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Streaming, but nothing but side by side ads.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/LegacyMotorclub/status/1653444246743941121?s=20

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Went to Dover over the weekend only for the cup race to get rained out and bumped to Monday. Couldn't stay for the whole race but had a good time for the ~130 laps I got to see.

Loved the crowd reaction when Kyle Busch got dumped to the back early on for pit lane speeding.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'm going to Charlotte for the third biggest race of Memorial Day weekend, should be a time.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm going to the Indy 500

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i was gonna go to dover on sunday but it had the gall to rain, and then it was perfect weather yesterday when i couldn't :mad:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

This seems like a win win to me. Toyota needs more cars, and Legacy isn’t just a complete afterthought to its manufacturer.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

mearn posted:

I'm going to Charlotte for the third biggest race of Memorial Day weekend, should be a time.

camoseven posted:

I'm going to the Indy 500

I'm going to Monaco...I wish. It is the one Memorial weekend race left that I have not been to so someday I would like to do that. Though I have been to Monte Carlo and driven a lot of the streets that are part of the track so there's that I guess.

I thought the crowd at Dover was pretty good for a Monday race. I know they were showing tight shots of crowds of people to make it seem like more than it was but even in the wide shots I was pretty surprised. Looked like as big of a crowd as Bristol.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

do manufacturers even do anything besides license their brand

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

OMGVBFLOL posted:

do manufacturers even do anything besides license their brand

The engines are all developed and built separately and the body templates aren't identical. Also the builders all offer trackside support in the form of ECU tuning/management and straight up setup help. They also help the teams financially, although what you are gonna get outta them is variable.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

There's a lot of technical support from the OEMs in various ways. GM for example has a pretty new tech center in Charlotte with fancy simulators and other stuff to help support teams. I assume Toyota and Ford have similar things.
https://media.chevrolet.com/media/ca/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2020/jan/0123-charlotte-chevy-racing.html

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What mechanism do they use to restrict horsepower these days? I read that plates were replaced by something a few years ago but can't figure out what. The internet is pretty terrible for technical details.

I swear the cars at Dover this weekend weren't as stupid loud as 'dega last year, but they were nearly a year apart so I could just be imagining things.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
They use a tapered spacer instead of a restrictor plate. Every track runs a tapered spacer, and there are 4(?) sizes. The taper acts like a miniature velocity stack that helps with throttle response. That didn't matter with restrictor plates because you were always wide open all the way around the track.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

That was fantastic racing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Race of the year.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

lol Noah was 5 laps down from Ross and he's gonna start poo poo?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was hoping for a drag race to the line and photo finish 2004-style, but Good Race nonetheless.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

These cautions :negative:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress Kyle Larson.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Hope there's not too much damage Truex's car was amazing

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
lol at hendrick crying about his cares getting wrecked. go gently caress yourself

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/BubbaWallace/status/1657937383067729921

NASCAR: nothing matters lol

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The points don't matter and the rules are made up was one of the most accurate thread titles ever.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Darlington in person was a blast. Only 90 minutes from my house so got there early, tailgated for hours, did the pre-race on track stuff and got close for driver intros. Thought it was lame they didn't parade out the legends during that segment and stuffed them onto a trailer. Overall, track is awesome to go to and I'll probably go at least once a year from now on.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Shout out to Spinnaker Gulliver being brought up on Door, Bumper, Clear this week.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I might watch the highlights or the re-run of the race up once it’s on YouTube, both because it’s Darlington and for the ‘throwback’ liveries - some stretch the definition but I spent time yesterday wondering if I should try and pre-order a 1/64 of Suarez’s Quaker State ride.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
Caught the Pit Crew Challenge today. I was entertained. Fun to see the choreography up close an in depth. I like how the gasman is also in charge of kicking the old left rear tire out of the way.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1659585303756013568?t=4NSM1K54EpGTbtEthCTRBA&s=19

Surely this can't fail.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I mean they can't get less viewers putting it on a streaming platform... maybe they won't need to run ads for 50% of the green flag laps? Well they won't need too, but they will anyways.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what's the closest thing to og stock car racing? LeMons?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Just mad cause it's the only non lovely series of the 3.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can't tell from the hilights how good this race was but a lot of trucks ran into each other which is always fun.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

The truck race was fun, Cup stuff felt more like a test session than anything but ultimately it was a cool day of racing to see for a lot of different reasons. Unique track, unique time frame, neat to see them messing around with wet tires. They seemed to have a ton of grip that fell off really quickly but to be fair they were running them on a realistically dry track surface.

One of my buddies was out at the Lowe's VIP area and said it seemed like a good crowd that enjoyed themselves.

seventimessix
Jul 18, 2011
I think the Cup cars not being great was mostly that there were only 10 cars on track at once. Short track racing is never going to be super exciting if the leader doesn't have to deal with lapped traffic. The way the trucks raced has me optimistic for tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Cup cars are too low to run the lines that made trucks get spicy, and they're loving shifting. Unless they run these races on the wets this is going to be one helluva boring parade to cap off what has been a great week of racing in every other series.