Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
I think the base game has the best characters and interactions in any JRPG honestly. I do agree the story tries to do too much and should focus more on the good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Giggy posted:

I think the base game has the best characters and interactions in any JRPG honestly. I do agree the story tries to do too much and should focus more on the good stuff.

There are a lot of the smaller interactions which I like, it's more that the big plot beats and villains are just so absurd (and not in a good way) that I kind of zone out after a while. And Noah is one of the most boring characters I've ever encountered, the vast majority of his dialogue is someone saying something very dumb and then him repeating the last word with a Tucker Carlson confused look on his face.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The game needed to be condensed down a bit, with there being a literal Moebius for every member of the alphabet they just feel like Team Rocket rather than an actual threat.

I’m torn between wishing they focused more on the new original story and that it went full-bore into “all your old friends are here for the world’s greatest murder party”.

It’s very very good it just needed a few changes.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Anyway I've just bought the expansion pass, I'm at chapter 6 in the main game and looking forward to trying the DLC!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HampHamp posted:

There are a lot of the smaller interactions which I like, it's more that the big plot beats and villains are just so absurd (and not in a good way) that I kind of zone out after a while. And Noah is one of the most boring characters I've ever encountered, the vast majority of his dialogue is someone saying something very dumb and then him repeating the last word with a Tucker Carlson confused look on his face.

Moebius kinda suck which is a shame because they seem incredibly promising in the opening act (D had a magnificent Metal Face deal going on very briefly)

Evil nobles who are sucking the literal souls from the young to sustain themselves by pitting them against each-other is frankly an incredible premise.

And then you find out there’s 20 of them

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I like that they have the most epic battle theme in the series, and then after about the first 3 they're totally non-threatening and you just beat them into the ground each time, but it still plays that epic theme each time.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Darth Nat posted:

The one thing that really bothers me about the DLC story is that Melia is captured in Origin, the place the characters are going, and Riku knows this, but no one even considers making a side trip to rescue her.

(final boss/ending spoilers) That would be an existential threat to Moebius that would force an immediate response and stopping Alpha takes priority.
EDIT: that's even assuming Alpha would let them do a detour to free Melia. The teleporter was set up by Alpha specifically because Na'el wanted Matthew and it lead directly to the final boss chamber.

After the fight the party is down Shulk, A and Rex and in no condition to start poo poo. The game strongly implies N could have taken them down but he wasn't that far gone yet.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 3, 2023

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

If the party had pushed too hard to gently caress with Moebius after taking down Alpha N would've just killed them all. They had to take what they could get and pass on the goal of killing Moebius to the future.

Also while 2's villains are still better 3's villains are fine. Moebius is a very strong thematic choice for the villain and while a ton of them are goobers N is an extremely good villain and Z has a bunch of interesting stuff going on thematically. The party itself is one of the best JRPG parties ever made and the dialogue and performances knock it out of the park.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Darth Nat posted:

The one thing that really bothers me about the DLC story is that Melia is captured in Origin, the place the characters are going, and Riku knows this, but no one even considers making a side trip to rescue her.

This is all assuming Z and Melia are actually in Origin during the DLC, while the place has been hijacked by Alpha. They could easily be chilling elsewhere for the time.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
If you're calling Noah a boring protagonist then tbh I think it might just be a matter of not picking up what the game is putting down.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Manoueverable posted:

If you're calling Noah a boring protagonist then tbh I think it might just be a matter of not picking up what the game is putting down.

*vapid stare* "putting... down?"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

What all of this discussion leaves out is that Eunie's the buss...

Also I do hope we get more Xenoblade stuff in Tears of the Kingdom. If Link had the Monado he would be far too powerful, but he could have Taion's sweet, sweet scarf.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

Also I do hope we get more Xenoblade stuff in Tears of the Kingdom. If Link had the Monado he would be far too powerful, but he could have Taion's sweet, sweet scarf.

Riku's hat/hair or bust.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Darth Nat posted:

Riku's hat/hair or bust.

Weak.

Full Yumsmith outfit.

Both variants.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

HampHamp posted:

I love a lot about this game but man there's some baffling design decisions! Chain attacks are garbage, the story / characters are dreck, the whole system of collectibles out in the world is just background noise, very little reason to explore, other than fiddling with class builds the combat is insanely repetitive. It sounds as though the DLC fixes some of this at least, but man I've never been so confused about how I feel about a game. I mean I love playing it, tinkering with the classes and doing all the quests, but it's so close to being an all-timer that some of the weirder design stuff just boggles my mind.

If chain attacks are garbage this is 100% a you problem with not making good use of it, though a certain hero character really makes it shine. Chain attacks are insanely powerful. Like, "do more damage than the total HP of the boss, possibly in a single hit (smash) that reaches the damage cap" powerful.

Jet Jaguar posted:

What all of this discussion leaves out is that Eunie's the buss...

Give Link a suit of Moebius armor, or give him (ending and DLC spoilers) Shulk's outfit.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

If chain attacks are garbage this is 100% a you problem with not making good use of it, though a certain hero character really makes it shine. Chain attacks are insanely powerful. Like, "do more damage than the total HP of the boss, possibly in a single hit (smash) that reaches the damage cap" powerful.

Give Link a suit of Moebius armor, or give him (ending and DLC spoilers) Shulk's outfit.

Oh no I don't mean they're bad at doing damage, I mean the mechanic itself is bad to me. It just feels very weird to be in the middle of a fight and then just eviscerate like half a health bar with a glorified menu. I'm not really sure what it adds to the game, but this is just personal preference.

Just found the challenge arena stuff from one of the DLCs, this seems excellent! From the quick tutorial popup the gauntlet especially sounds really fun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Chain attack implementation was definitely best in the first game

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Chain attacks in 3 do get pretty boring once you’ve figured out how to make them work

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Counterpoint:

YIPPIE

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I think it's kind of fun figuring out all the ways to break the chain attack system in Future Redeemed at least since you have access to so many combinations of bonuses. But I don't know that they've ever come up with a completely satisfying endpoint to the combat system. Chain attacks in 1 still had the annoying RNG that determined how long they last, and 2 has the weird orb system which I never found particularly fun, and 3's chain attacks can get kind of old once you know what you're doing with them.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

they need to bring back overdrive obviously

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zoran posted:

Chain attacks in 3 do get pretty boring once you’ve figured out how to make them work

Are you all playing the game on mute or something? I will implement a chain attack just to hear the music.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

isk posted:

Counterpoint:

YIPPIE

Counter-counter point:

"I used my thinking muscles for this one!"

Mio's rebuttal:

"Your fate was sealed when you rose against us!"

Time to listen to the 15-minute extended Chain Attack theme. Again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Too right you picked mine

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

I just started the DLC, getting to it a bit late, but some bits from Chapters 1 and early Chapter 2 that stuck out:

I cracked up at realizing N and M named their son Ghondor, in hindsight that would obviously be his name but what a payoff for that bit in the main story.

But after Matthew's flashback, now I'm really not going to be able to replay the beginning of Chapter 6. I wonder if M knew he killed their son :smith:

It is really genuinely amazing how absurdly loving dark it is. N killing his own son to desperately cling to M after their sad farewell is brutal. Dude really is maximum Grahf.

It is pretty impressive they pull off giving N an iota of sympathy considering he is just the worst person.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Are you all playing the game on mute or something? I will implement a chain attack just to hear the music.

I mean, it was great the first 50 times or so

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Jet Jaguar posted:

Counter-counter point:

"I used my thinking muscles for this one!"

Mio's rebuttal:

"Your fate was sealed when you rose against us!"

Time to listen to the 15-minute extended Chain Attack theme. Again.

Weak. Very Weak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDd6PFIhHeo

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

idk how people latched on to yippee, sena yelling when throwing the ball is the voice clip that's seared into my mind forever

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

ImpAtom posted:

It is really genuinely amazing how absurdly loving dark it is. N killing his own son to desperately cling to M after their sad farewell is brutal. Dude really is maximum Grahf.

It is pretty impressive they pull off giving N an iota of sympathy considering he is just the worst person.

Yeah I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't explictly show that in the main story because although it would destroy pretty much all credibility about N's redemption, it lends so much more weight to M's subterfuge after because it's so personal for her.

It also goes to show how much of a shitlord Z is because there's absolutely no doubt the timing was deliberate on his part so neither N nor his son would recognize the other.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 3, 2023

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

All superbosses down, and the last one wasn't really that tough. Even on hard you can wipe most of its bar in one chain. I needed 2 because I didn't get Rex's unity pair the first time, but dealing with enrage and constant damage aura wasn't a big problem. The level 70 and 90 fights were really tough though. Maybe Monolith cranked the difficulty up because the base game hands you a lot of ways to make tough fights easier. I'm wondering what builds people come up with to trivialize those challenges.

Overall it was a fantastic DLC. I still like Torna a bit more, but FR has the edge with exploration/things to do on the map, plus it doesn't gate story progression behind sidequests. Really liked Matthew as protagonist and prefer him to the base game's Noah.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I really wish there was an easier/more enjoyable way to level up for the superbosses in FR. It needed a couple more mini-dungeons with high-level enemies or something. As it stands you either have to level yourself down or fight the most recent superboss until you reach the necessary level for the next one.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

HampHamp posted:

Oh no I don't mean they're bad at doing damage, I mean the mechanic itself is bad to me. It just feels very weird to be in the middle of a fight and then just eviscerate like half a health bar with a glorified menu. I'm not really sure what it adds to the game, but this is just personal preference.

Just found the challenge arena stuff from one of the DLCs, this seems excellent! From the quick tutorial popup the gauntlet especially sounds really fun.

Chain Attacks being vital to beating bosses/UM’s is a staple of the series.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

I really wish there was an easier/more enjoyable way to level up for the superbosses in FR. It needed a couple more mini-dungeons with high-level enemies or something. As it stands you either have to level yourself down or fight the most recent superboss until you reach the necessary level for the next one.

If you drop a few levels below a superboss, set it to easy, cook exp+ food, and do a chain attack overkill, the levels come fast. Two fights like that against the level 60 superboss should get you into the 80s and shouldn't take longer than 10 min. The lack of higher level mobs is kinda off, but it would be a slower level grind against them.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Is there a way to re-target a chain attack? I wasn't paying attention during a fight against a named monster and accidentally targeted one of the mooks that wandered in.

Yeah I loving mangled it right away and then spent the entire rest of the chain doing tens of thousands of damage to a dead green Roly Poly. I couldn't target glutinous eduardo or whoever the gently caress.

I'm in chapter 3, I assume I'll be able chain the ouroboros bots at some point too?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Is there a way to re-target a chain attack? I wasn't paying attention during a fight against a named monster and accidentally targeted one of the mooks that wandered in.

Yeah I loving mangled it right away and then spent the entire rest of the chain doing tens of thousands of damage to a dead green Roly Poly. I couldn't target glutinous eduardo or whoever the gently caress.

I'm in chapter 3, I assume I'll be able chain the ouroboros bots at some point too?

you can't change targets mid chain attack, if you targeted the wrong enemy then you're SOL. and yeah you don't get the full chain attack mechanic until later.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol

if anyone is wondering, the chain attack gauge maxes out at 999%

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

IcePhoenix posted:

lol

if anyone is wondering, the chain attack gauge maxes out at 999%

lol how did you do that?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

lol how did you do that?

Matthew has a strategy manual that gives a heroic action that adds 25% TP to the next person to act and Rex has one that adds 50% TP when he finishes a set. These bonuses are multiplicative.

e: to be clear, you can equip those manuals on anyone, I just gave them to Matthew and Rex because AoE Powercharge -> Double Spinning Edge is uh...a lot of damage

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 4, 2023

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Is double spinning edge actually the most damage or is it the launch attack? I'm back and forth on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

IcePhoenix posted:

Matthew has a strategy manual that gives a heroic action that adds 25% TP to the next person to act and Rex has one that adds 50% TP when he finishes a set. These bonuses are multiplicative.

e: to be clear, you can equip those manuals on anyone, I just gave them to Matthew and Rex because AoE Powercharge -> Double Spinning Edge is uh...a lot of damage

I was strongly considering this combo earlier and I guess I'll put it to use since my previous best (with the 50% finisher on Matthew) was only around 450% on the bar. Are you using the +reactivation count tactical manuals on others as well?

For those who don't know, putting regular strategy manuals on A or Glimmer can override their healer trait of capping at 99% and makes them finish combos, which is unfortunate but would be broken as hell otherwise I guess.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 4, 2023