Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
so what ally is safer because they got into car loans? i also bank with ally i dont need to be out of all my banks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Disney Death March

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

gee wiz all these bank failures

thank god our fundamentals are strong

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
$70k and a slap on the wrists for child labour hmm

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

so what ally is safer because they got into car loans? i also bank with ally i dont need to be out of all my banks

My 0% car loan was with ally so that doesn't sound safe

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
I got offered 7.5% interest on car finance, with savings rate at 5% and i have more cash than brains so i will probably buy that garbage and pay an effective rate of 2.5% if it were dollar for dollar

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Greatbacon posted:

Oh man, First Republic a couple days ago & now Pacwest Bancorp. Anyone know anything about Western Alliance?

I know that our banking system is very solvent, very strong, and my friend

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what did yellen say like two weeks ago . that a bank would never fail again or something

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

what did yellen say like two weeks ago . that a bank would never fail again or something

they fixed the glitch

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

What happened to these banks being able to just give the fed their lovely treasuries and getting a free loan for their value at maturity?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

There have been so many bank failures it's starting to get confusing.

It started when SVB collapsed and we declared all deposits were covered and had a few days of press around the fact that the banking system was strong and resilient and the treasury and Fed would take whatever steps necessary to keep things strong and secure and safe and sound.
https://twitter.com/colbyLsmith/status/1635061613920395264?s=20

Due to the backlash from this being the implication the government was giving unlimited bailouts she had to do another statement 4 days after the SVB bailout that all deposits weren't being declared safe, just those at banks determined to be important or pose "systemic risks" https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/22/treasury-will-do-whatever-it-takes-to-ensure-savings-remain-safe-yellen-to-tell-senators-.html

That's where the massacre for regional banks came from as RandoMc Bankcor would be allowed to fail entirely while any quantity of money in Citibank would be safe.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 00:59 on May 4, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Stereotype posted:

my cousin wants to be a "disney travel agent" and she told me some of the tricks and apparently there is a whole industry of people whose job it is to help people navigate the intense labyrinthian complexity that is a disney vacation

I knew a couple who did that as a side gig and they got like huge discounts so they went from Chattanooga to Disney like 5x a year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Stereotype posted:

my favorite part about disney world was the hundreds of fat people on scooters because the parks are big and you have to walk everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yexYJXlWOmo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

God bless Jim Cramer

https://twitter.com/CramerTracker/status/1653913048082677761?t=6BAitAq8D976PqVV4vmVCA&s=19

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

If Jim Cramer had any self awareness or respect he’d disappear

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
*throwing voice*

Whattaya mean the bank's outta money??!?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Glumwheels posted:

If Jim Cramer had any self awareness or respect he’d disappear

Fortunately for Doomsday fans he's an ex-Trot, and as anyone who has spent time around Trots knows, they are incapable of just shutting the gently caress up

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

DOGS DONT PARTICIPATE IN CAPITALISM

thread title

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Honestly I'm starting to think he just gets told to say the opposite of what they expect is most likely to happen so everyone who actually buys his act can be used as bag holders.

Isn't there an Inverse Kramer ETF?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

thechosenone posted:

Honestly I'm starting to think he just gets told to say the opposite of what they expect is most likely to happen so everyone who actually buys his act can be used as bag holders.

Isn't there an Inverse Kramer ETF?

Yes, but Jim is permanently mad about it. Genuinely do not think he's smart enough to be have been doing this as a bit for over 2 decades

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Fair enough. As it is he apparently isn't so much of a failure that it made profits even, so lol to that.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the goal of trading in the stock market is to find things that are priced below what they are actually "worth." a guy loudly proclaiming on one of the most watched financial media apparatuses that a stock is underpriced is almost guaranteed to be wrong

Morbus
May 18, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Fortunately for Doomsday fans he's an ex-Trot, and as anyone who has spent time around Trots knows, they are incapable of just shutting the gently caress up

never shutting up and always being on the losing side are a powerful combination

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

thechosenone posted:

Fair enough. As it is he apparently isn't so much of a failure that it made profits even, so lol to that.

Kramer is an idiot that lucked into a job at Goldman Sachs so he could be overpaid enough long enough to get wealthy with stocks by accident. Rolling into things like the dotcom crash and the 2008 crisis independently wealthy enough to gamble millions would turn out well for most people.

He just claims he is wealthy because he was smart at stocks and that became his persona which is hilarious in the age of social media when he can be wrong more than anyone in human history but refuse to quit. He has money so he must be smart. That's how it works. Look at Woods, Zuckerberg, Musk or Gates!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Kramer is an idiot that lucked into a job

If we're going to be honest, this is true of most/all elites, especially ones that are supposed to be the Adults In The Room who are in charge.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

The U.S. banking system is sound and resilient.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/StockMKTNewz/status/1653914150047711232

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wow is it because employment is skyrocketing and inflation is not slowing down

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

rates to 0 by end of summer, then

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Cramer is a professional bad opinion haver. he's like matty glesias or bill mitchell but for finance. pay him no mind.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

coelomate posted:

The U.S. banking system is sound and resilient.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"thing thing is actually worth way more than what I am selling it to you for!" is such an obvious scam

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/status/1653861247853514752?s=20

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Cramer is a professional bad opinion haver. he's like matty glesias or bill mitchell but for finance. pay him no mind.

Matty Y has one good take for every 99 bad takes. Cramer strikes out 100 out of 100 times

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Stereotype posted:

my cousin wants to be a "disney travel agent" and she told me some of the tricks and apparently there is a whole industry of people whose job it is to help people navigate the intense labyrinthian complexity that is a disney vacation

your cousin is sick

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

drake no: state owned bank

drake yes: bank owned state

if there is only one bank and one state these are indistinguishable. full communism ftw.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

what do we want

BANK DEATH

when do we want it

DURING MARKET HOURS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Ally is the former GMAC (General Motors Acceptance Credit) and their original line of business was auto loans. They rebranded to Ally to get away from the taint around the feds having to bail them out in 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://money.cnn.com/2008/12/29/news/companies/gmac/index.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

post-pandemic world