Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

It's 100% one of those situations where it's simpler to just build a new ship. Why would you want the old parts anyway? Build a brand new 4090 gaming PC but keep your CPU from 2010.

The old ship would be most useful as raw matter to feed into replicators.

Literally everything about the Titan-A/Enterprise-G just infuriates me the more and more I hear about it and think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Picard S3 finished shooting last year. WGA potentially going on strike had nothing to do with the quality of the scripts.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

bull wasn't talking about the actual act of the WGA striking, but the statements made by the WGA talking about the changes to writing rooms and writing processes in recent years that they are trying to use the strike action to push back against.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't you guys have a thread dedicated to complaining about the new trek shows that you hatewatch

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

It's 100% one of those situations where it's simpler to just build a new ship. Why would you want the old parts anyway? Build a brand new 4090 gaming PC but keep your CPU from 2010.

Keep your old dvd drive, speakers, and keyboard

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair my PC has been piecemeal upgraded for decades without ever having a complete replacement moment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeJF posted:

To be fair my PC has been piecemeal upgraded for decades without ever having a complete replacement moment.

the computer of mikejf

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

Picard S3 finished shooting last year. WGA potentially going on strike had nothing to do with the quality of the scripts.

You both misunderstood me.

One of the grievances being aired in the strike is how the writing process is structured now. They are using a loophole in the current contract to get a ton of the writing work done outside of production for minimum rates. Then they have a super short engagement with the writers during production, but don't engage them during post production at all.

quote:

In many rooms, it’s the same thing. No one ever said we can’t hire for a tiny, tiny little fee. I’m sure somebody found a little loophole. “Ooh! If you’re not in production, you can hire a room and only pay them the Writers Guild minimum. Oh, well then let’s hire them before we’re in production and write as many scripts as we can. And then when they’re in production, we’ll keep that super-duper short and we’ll get rid of them as soon as we can and deny them the opportunity to go to set and do post-production.”

I imagine this exact sort of setup is why things happen like sometimes phasers vaporize changings and sometimes they just wound them and they come back. If you have no one on the writing team there with you on set during the fight choreography or the post production VFX work, there's no voice there to go "uh, this doesn't add up with what we established." Ditto for the editing process. That could also be why the animated properties are doing so much better in this regard as that entire pipeline would be different.

Brute Squad posted:

bull wasn't talking about the actual act of the WGA striking, but the statements made by the WGA talking about the changes to writing rooms and writing processes in recent years that they are trying to use the strike action to push back against.

Right, exactly

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 3, 2023

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

zoux posted:

Don't you guys have a thread dedicated to complaining about the new trek shows that you hatewatch

Once every 1000 years, the seal weakens

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Counterpoint, split threads are dumb unless you want a show specific one talking episodes week to week. This is all part of the franchise now. Having some conversation about the evolution of the 24th and 25th century Star Trek universe is actually something new and fun to discuss and beats the hell out of the 150th iteration of "EXPERIENCE BIJ" or that old cracking chestnut "You actually die when you are transported."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Counterpoint, split threads are dumb unless you want a show specific one talking episodes week to week. This is all part of the franchise now. Having some conversation about the evolution of the 24th and 25th century Star Trek universe is actually something new and fun to discuss and beats the hell out of the 150th iteration of "EXPERIENCE BIJ" or that old cracking chestnut "You actually die when you are transported."

i'm okay with experience bij but then again i'm an iphone user so i just have things that work and i enjoy them and they stay that way for years, instead of switching endlessly between the hot new android things and getting frustrated when none of them is without infinitesimal error

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm sure it's to entirely avoid the fights between the people who like nuTrek and those who don't. Frankly the stuff in Picard is so dumb it genuinely makes me not care about the future of the franchise if Trek has to act like it's canon. Of course not even Picard treated Picard like what happened in it matters, so hopefully it will just be ignored and we will get a proper Enterprise-G one day.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bull3964 posted:

Counter-counterpoint, the Modern Trek thread still serves a purpose because there’s plenty of folks in this thread who do not give a single poo poo about the new shows and it’s not fair to them to have to sift through posts about them to find other posts about the classic shows.

It’s also not fair to the people who enjoy the new shows to have to hear those other posters complaining about the existence of the new shows. The Modern Trek thread also functions as a live watch thread when new stuff drops.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Honestly I can't tell the two threads apart usually. It's just star trek. People gonna talk about star trek. If you don't want to read about star trek, don't.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

If you were in the big chair would you go with the classic and professional "Engage", or something insouciant like "Hit it"

“Let’s kick this pig!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

zoux posted:

If you were in the big chair would you go with the classic and professional "Engage", or something insouciant like "Hit it"

"Let's blow this pot-sickle stand!" in a Strong Bad voice

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

zoux posted:

"Show me the money!"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Delsaber posted:

Once every 1000 years, the seal weakens

What is a Star Trek? A miserable little pile of setpieces! But enough talk. Double-dumbass on you!

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Powered Descent posted:

"Show me the money!"

Except your helmsman is not convinced and you are required to continue saying it over and over until eventually you are yelling it passionately but despite giving the performance of your life you fail to win best actor and the helmsman actually goes on to win best supporting actor.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

zoux posted:

"Ensign whateveryourface, set course for Nonsensolium 4, cruising speed." [go to get more coffee, come back] "Why aren't we going already? I said to set course."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
"Floor it."

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"Pedal to the metal."

It was only when I was typing this that I remembered that's Peter Q. Taggert's traditional order in Galaxy Quest, per the historical records.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"LET'S GO ALREADY"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
"Fuckin' MOVE"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
All aboard! Then they make a choo choo noise.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
"Make our ship go."

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'd probably say "floor that poo poo", possibly adding a motherfucker in there.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wouldn't give any order.

Instead I'd press the button that makes a Holo Kramer slide through the turbo lift doors and say giddy-up.

My crew would hate me

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
so long suckers! i rev up my warp core and create a huge cloud of plasma. when the cloud dissipates im lying completely dead on the bridge floor

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

"Witness me!" *presses viewscreen eject button*

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Mr. Crusher, roll that beautiful bean footage."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

"Make our ship go."

"Mr Spock, I think that needs some work"

"Hmm, I will revise it for future attempts, Chris"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

"Let's do it." I like the crew to feel involved.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Git 'er dun" in my worst possible redneck.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Pitter patter, let’s get at ‘er - in Canadian redneck.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Beachcomber posted:

"Make our ship go."

Is the parking brake on?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

"Zoom, zoom"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
May the Force be with us.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Whack my doodle and call me a poodle, let's ride!