Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I thought blood moons were caused by the calamity but I guess they are just part of hyrule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

goferchan posted:

Someone made a quick patch and posted it on reddit that allows you to launch the game on Yuzu and the underground textures actually work there (but enough other stuff is broken/unstable that it's not worth switching from Ryujinx) -- very confident they'll have fixes in shortly after the game launches for real. I will probably switch to Switch at that point though

That's cool, I think saves carry over or can be converted from either. Yuzi seems better in general but seems like Ryujin gets stuff working earlier.
.I might should also look for a bigger shader cache from someone's who had more time to play, but the shader loading stutters haven't been an issue. It's just certain areas with lots going on that dip down to 20. Disabling Vysync actually overcomes that, but at a less consistent frame rate overall, but above 30 so whatever. In combat the speedup can make things harder than they should be so I reemable Vysync when I want the normal speed back.

I'm playing the game weeks early on my preferred hardware and controller so I am more than satisfied with current performance and occasional crashes so far every crash came right after an auto save pretty much and honestly always when I needed to get up and stretch my legs or do a chore or whatever anyway lol. An aggressive Wii style "take frequent breaks" reminder.

I also keep having dreams about the game since Ive been playing before bed but the dreams are not cool, just shuffling items to cook and like foggily running over hills to grab things to cook again in that fruitless hazy dream way.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

lunar detritus posted:

I thought blood moons were caused by the calamity but I guess they are just part of hyrule

I can't tell if it's "they stuck around" or "they came back when ganon came back, again"

it's kind of weird that anyone bothers asking you to kill monsters, in hindsight, if they're used to them coming back every week for the last hundred years

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
For some Quality of Life features that I found I reccomend following Robbie's and Jura's quest line once you finish the tutorial not only does it helpful things like The Shrine sensor, camera and Hero's Path feature It also leads you to something that I am greatful I found the autobuild ability

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Woof, RyujinX updated and runs noticing worse suddenly. Same area last night was fine, 30fps, now down to like 15 and stuttering in consistent pattern. Nvm restarting RyujinX a couple times helped idkm

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 4, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Drashin posted:

For some Quality of Life features that I found I reccomend following Robbie's and Jura's quest line once you finish the tutorial not only does it helpful things like The Shrine sensor, camera and Hero's Path feature It also leads you to something that I am greatful I found the autobuild ability

I'm getting the impression that "go where people recommend at least initially" may be a good idea because MOTHER FUCKIN STICKY FROG SUIT

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh my Goron I just got a biggies sword from a chest after defeating a dark souls giant skeleton in the spooky dark

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

That's cool, I think saves carry over or can be converted from either. Yuzi seems better in general but seems like Ryujin gets stuff working earlier.
.I might should also look for a bigger shader cache from someone's who had more time to play, but the shader loading stutters haven't been an issue. It's just certain areas with lots going on that dip down to 20. Disabling Vysync actually overcomes that, but at a less consistent frame rate overall, but above 30 so whatever. In combat the speedup can make things harder than they should be so I reemable Vysync when I want the normal speed back.

I'm playing the game weeks early on my preferred hardware and controller so I am more than satisfied with current performance and occasional crashes so far every crash came right after an auto save pretty much and honestly always when I needed to get up and stretch my legs or do a chore or whatever anyway lol. An aggressive Wii style "take frequent breaks" reminder.

I also keep having dreams about the game since Ive been playing before bed but the dreams are not cool, just shuffling items to cook and like foggily running over hills to grab things to cook again in that fruitless hazy dream way.

I can send you a link to some shaders if you have dm's.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Everything I've watched for this game has made it look like a bog standard open world survival-lite game with performance issues.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Weak troll attempt

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Weak troll attempt

:jerkbag:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Depths spoilers. This poo poo is so cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMx5Fqk3kdQ&t=341s

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Hootington posted:

Everything I've watched for this game has made it look like a bog standard open world survival-lite game with performance issues.

if you don't like botw you won't like this guaranteed

also

some of these shrines as "tutorials" are wild as hell, I was sleeping on rockets until a shrine was like "hey have you tried attaching a rocket to a shield yet"

incidentally

have you tried attaching a rocket to a shield yet

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No but only because I keep running out of rockets to attach to things. Why rocket isn't in the power wheel where the fake-out camera or maps slots are, I'll never know.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

if you don't like botw you won't like this guaranteed

also

some of these shrines as "tutorials" are wild as hell, I was sleeping on rockets until a shrine was like "hey have you tried attaching a rocket to a shield yet"

incidentally

have you tried attaching a rocket to a shield yet

BotW was fine when I played it. I didn't think it was the 10/10 everyone was tripping over themselves to pronounce.

A lot of stuff I've seen in gameplay footage and from people playing early looks like stuff I've seen in other open world survival made and released since botw. None of it appears "revolutionary".

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Hootington posted:

BotW was fine when I played it. I didn't think it was the 10/10 everyone was tripping over themselves to pronounce.

A lot of stuff I've seen in gameplay footage and from people playing early looks like stuff I've seen in other open world survival made and released since botw. None of it appears "revolutionary".

I don't think it's "revolutionary", I do think it's risky and I'm kind of glad to see that even if I'm not 100% sure I'm a fan of it yet. It takes pretty massive balls to take your pretty popular game series and say, at the same time,

"Hey, remember that Nuts and Bolts game that came out and just flopped because nobody wanted that out of an established franchise that had nothing to do with that style of gameplay prior to it? Let's do that with our established franchise that had nothing to do with that style of gameplay prior to it!" and
"Hey, remember that durability system that people complained about? Let's double down on it and in-lore pre-break all the weapons to force people to interact with the durability even more"

so they did that and sacrificed performance for it-- this is the first time in this series I'm seeing those "freeze you to load the world" pauses when not doing stupid speedrunning tricks, and I'm sure the early-BotW-before-fixes "something hosed up, immediate blood moon" stuff is going to be making a reappearance sooner or later.

I am, at least, having fun with it, but when all is said and done I don't think I'll be looking at other games and saying "I wish this game did X mechanic like BotW did" this time around because I'm pretty sure I'll be sated on awkward controller-based doohickey building for better or for worse

I'm also pretty sure that we're going to get an absolute glut of nuts and bolts knockoffs because this poo poo's still going to sell like the hottest of hotcakes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Cool I don't know if it's revolutionary or not but it's the most fun I've had with a videogame this year and I've played some really fun games this year.

There's always a solid way to reduce a game down to something mundane and routine if you really want to. It's a reliable way to not care about playing something you haven't or to diminish enjoyment of something you are.

Most open world games I've played don't let you glue yourself together a fan powered gliding log rocket while going around the map looking for the activities developers planted, I'm pretty bored of the formula outside of the standouts and throwing the Banjo Kazooie Nuts N Bolts poo poo in is really working for me and I've barely messed with it. Your mileage may vary.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It seems like probably the worst aspect of the game is the beginning. The great plateau was a lot more elegant design wise than the great island, then you have to do even a little more annoying railroaded stuff to get the glider. It's fine after that but it doesn't make a great first impression

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Invisible walls in the depths really screwing up my plans to rocket glide directly to dragons in the distance.

Edit: oh okay these floating blocks when activated stay wherever places midair. I think this little underground area is trying to tell me to build a floating runway for a glider.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 4, 2023

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It's weird that you can't "hold" stuff from the d-pad quick menu.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I don't think it's "revolutionary", I do think it's risky and I'm kind of glad to see that even if I'm not 100% sure I'm a fan of it yet. It takes pretty massive balls to take your pretty popular game series and say, at the same time,

"Hey, remember that Nuts and Bolts game that came out and just flopped because nobody wanted that out of an established franchise that had nothing to do with that style of gameplay prior to it? Let's do that with our established franchise that had nothing to do with that style of gameplay prior to it!" and
"Hey, remember that durability system that people complained about? Let's double down on it and in-lore pre-break all the weapons to force people to interact with the durability even more"

so they did that and sacrificed performance for it-- this is the first time in this series I'm seeing those "freeze you to load the world" pauses when not doing stupid speedrunning tricks, and I'm sure the early-BotW-before-fixes "something hosed up, immediate blood moon" stuff is going to be making a reappearance sooner or later.

I am, at least, having fun with it, but when all is said and done I don't think I'll be looking at other games and saying "I wish this game did X mechanic like BotW did" this time around because I'm pretty sure I'll be sated on awkward controller-based doohickey building for better or for worse

I'm also pretty sure that we're going to get an absolute glut of nuts and bolts knockoffs because this poo poo's still going to sell like the hottest of hotcakes

:hmmyes:
I also find the system to be similar to 7 days to die, minecraft, and stranded deep in some ways. The one big difference is that most of the crafting is done outside of menus instead of in a menu.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Weak troll attempt

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

It's weird that you can't "hold" stuff from the d-pad quick menu.

It's also awkward starting to throw your nice weapon when u want to lob a grenade

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Garry’s Mod is the much more obvious reference than Nuts and Bolts IMO

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So the Zonai devices that look like a little jar are actually bombs that will kill you if you stand near when they pop off. They are also not good hot air balloon fuel.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

these red hands are a problem

e: climbing up a wall while they reach for you is scary as hell

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 4, 2023

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
How do you use the big glider things? The way I did it was attaching 3 fans and hitting them but it doesn't seem right, i ran out of fans quick

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

How do you use the big glider things? The way I did it was attaching 3 fans and hitting them but it doesn't seem right, i ran out of fans quick

The ideal is glider attached to wheely cart, with fans, and a rocket for launch, with steering wheel in center. You can reliably glide and even recharge around indefinitely.... Until the glider decides to time out and disappear. If you had an infinite glider cheat, I think a fan and steering wheel alone could keep you airborne forever.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mr Hootington posted:

:hmmyes:
I also find the system to be similar to 7 days to die, minecraft, and stranded deep in some ways. The one big difference is that most of the crafting is done outside of menus instead of in a menu.

never really played those other two games but I don’t think it’s really like Minecraft crafting at all because there aren’t recipes here, you just take any two things and glue them together and see what happens. that‘s a pretty fundamental difference

and the building is the more exciting system which is just fully based around physics simulation and emergent gameplay and manipulating elaborate contraptions

and you’re definitely not navigating a fully-designed world for secrets or solving bespoke puzzles in minecraft

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone find the new plateau area too drat big in this? It's a giant ring too so god forbid you forgot something you needed to explore on the other side, getting back there sucks.

The game has been crashing a lot on my end, but that might just be me having an AMD GPU. Lord knows it has issues.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Khanstant posted:

The ideal is glider attached to wheely cart, with fans, and a rocket for launch, with steering wheel in center. You can reliably glide and even recharge around indefinitely.... Until the glider decides to time out and disappear. If you had an infinite glider cheat, I think a fan and steering wheel alone could keep you airborne forever.

Ah i haven't seen a steering wheel yet, just made it to the ground off the starting air island part

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Also wondering if like in BOTW I can go to the part of the map where durians are and farm a bunch of them (& bananas) for recipes & not have to worry about getting more hearts

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Augus posted:

never really played those other two games but I don’t think it’s really like Minecraft crafting at all because there aren’t recipes here, you just take any two things and glue them together and see what happens. that‘s a pretty fundamental difference

Putting a stick and a rock together is a recipe. Within a week there will be a wiki with how each combination of items works. Those are recipes. This is how crafting games work. You figure out by experimenting. All survival crafting games are like this early on

Augus posted:

and the building is the more exciting system which is just fully based around physics simulation and emergent gameplay and manipulating elaborate contraptions

You are describing Kerbel, Kojima games, and kernel again.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

African AIDS cum posted:

They don't really need any extra tools to just do their job of gliding, just height. If you're having trouble getting them off the ground, use your grabby hand, move the item over the open air and then back, then use recall on it. Grabbing something, moving it, then recalling it is key to doing a lot of puzzles the wrong way and it's a lot of fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mr Hootington posted:

Putting a stick and a rock together is a recipe. Within a week there will be a wiki with how each combination of items works. Those are recipes. This is how crafting games work. You figure out by experimenting. All survival crafting games are like this early on

You are describing Kerbel, Kojima games, and kernel again.

so it’s a unique combination of all the most awesome things from a bunch of awesome games is what you’re saying

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also in Minecraft you don’t just put a stick and a rock together that does nothing, you need to put them in a specific arrangement to match the recipe. there are millions of possible “wrong” combinations in Minecraft that don’t result in anything

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

also, i'm really digging the shrine music, the music in general is great i guess

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sigher posted:

Does anyone find the new plateau area too drat big in this? It's a giant ring too so god forbid you forgot something you needed to explore on the other side, getting back there sucks.

I felt like it flowed really well. Popped out, and then pursuing the shrines with a few minor detours of stuff along the way got me through the whole deal pretty quickly without much issue. I was much more eager to reach the ground this time rather than gently caress around for hours and hours on tutorial zone like I did in BotW.

I gather that for folks who want to immediately start exploring and crawling over everything it'll be a different experience than they expected from the original. I'm excited to go back up with new toys to catch all I missed. You get more toys after the tutorial island, even though you get your moan magic abilities right off the bat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

They don't really need any extra tools to just do their job of gliding, just height. If you're having trouble getting them off the ground, use your grabby hand, move the item over the open air and then back, then use recall on it. Grabbing something, moving it, then recalling it is key to doing a lot of puzzles the wrong way and it's a lot of fun.

Oh my god, I hadn't tried this paper airplane approach. I did use it to hold the plane still on a ramp so it could jet off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mr Hootington posted:

cool, so why should I give a poo poo?