Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
it's all the fuckin Okies who settled the central valley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Okies go home

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Men walking along the railroad tracks
Going someplace, there's no going back
Highway patrol choppers coming up over the ridge
Hot soup on a campfire under the bridge

Shelter line stretching around the corner
Welcome to the new world order
Families sleeping in the cars in the southwest
No home, no job, no peace, no rest

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Today I've been working with maps and info graphics and had 5 min.

Hydrographic world map.

Wet bulb world map.

Impacted countries.

It's great that the world waterways, where 2/3 of the world's population is, will have wet bulb events that kill millions and become uninhabitable. Could be a billion on the move.

Not news for the thread. Wanted to do something with the horror rather than talk sport results and how I should try banana and mayonnaise sandwiches.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

skooma512 posted:

NGL when the Florida and Texas refugees reach the north, I'm sure not going to be especially welcoming. Unless they're like, cool.

i guess this is the lib version of the castle doctrine home defense fantasy

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

BCR posted:

Today I've been working with maps and info graphics and had 5 min.

Wet bulb world map.

just fyi that's from https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2021GL094183 which has the caption etc. open source and good.

that paper's authors are part of the Climate Extremes Lab at WSU. Their site is https://deeptis47.github.io/. has research summaries and their publications. well researched and peer reviewed doom.

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 03:51 on May 4, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Cuttlefush posted:

just fyi that's from https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2021GL094183 which has the caption etc. open source and good.

she's part of the Climate Extremes Lab at WSU. Their site is https://deeptis47.github.io/. has research summaries and their publications. well researched and peer reviewed doom.

maybe these eXXXtreme labs are a big part of all this sensationalism

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
what sensationalism

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Cuttlefush posted:

what sensationalism

I was making a dumb joke.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
ohh, gotcha. thought they had been science journalist'd or something. that group is good though. no old, highly placed physics dudes involved to concoct a bunch of bullshit or fishing for really high impact reaches. and most importantly they tend to make really good figures

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Cuttlefush posted:

that paper's authors are part of the Climate Extremes Lab at WSU. Their site is https://deeptis47.github.io/. has research summaries and their publications. well researched and peer reviewed doom.

It always makes me feel a bit queasy/lol when I read how well qualified the scientists are.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
don't worry scientists usually feel the opposite unless they're one of the old physics dudes/psychos/insanely successful early career ones. and they usually end up loving up that way.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
came up with two more posts that rhyme with - ing - ong
Humanity is worse than any version of the Klingon
and I'm glad those hobbit fuckers weren't too afraid to put the ring on, so don't worry so much, you havent done a single thing wrong, even a lovely rear end melty may is a kind of spring spung?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Are you ok?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

jetz0r posted:

Are you ok?

definitely ok at slant rhymes

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

jetz0r posted:

Are you ok?

are any of us?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Climate raps

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

staring in your eyes won't ever blink ems
we used to be gorillas but now were king kongs
it's still not out of my system even though the things run

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

I did it honor of meltdown may anyway its so I only crack-ping some

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’d like to make myself believe that planet earth turns slowly
we used to be gorillas but now were king kongs

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

If you can get banned for rhyming too much it indicates your dick energy swings strong

Stinky Wizzleteats has issued a correction as of 10:01 on May 4, 2023

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://newrepublic.com/article/172221/animals-dying-sea-lions

quote:

Animals Are Dying in Droves. What Are They Telling Us?
From flu-ridden sea lions to elephant die-offs, mass mortality events are becoming more common. We understand very little about their repercussions.

A sea lion slumps on its back, belly and neck exposed. A wildlife worker swabs another’s nose; curled into a comma, the emaciated animal screeches in protest. In another shot of Reuters B-roll, humans in hazmat suits shovel a shoreline grave under colorless skies, sprinkling a red mass of carcasses with chemical powder before sealing the burial with dark wet sand.

The numbers are as bleak as the footage: More than 3,400 sea lions sickened and dead of the H5N1 variant of avian influenza in Peru this winter and spring. With the animal weighing, on average, about 770 pounds, each of those infected corpses threatens to further pulse the pathogen along the Peruvian coastline, according to researchers there.

Scenes this stark are harder to ignore than slower forms of species demise quietly spread out over time and space: Here is a riverbank littered with lifeless mussel shells, the plains where 200,000 antelope dropped dead, corals stripped of sea urchins, a continent across which bush fires killed or displaced three billion animals. Die-offs like these jolt us even as tens of thousands of species steadily twinkle off into extinction in the Anthropocene. “They really feel biblical in their proportions,” Sam Fey, an associate professor of biology at Reed College, told me.

Each year, millions of salmon spawn, stop eating, rot alive, and dissolve away. When billions of cicadas emerge from the ground, their remains fertilize that same soil a few weeks later. A masting beech tree can carpet a square meter with 500 seeds, almost none of which will get the chance to sprout and take life. Nature is full of episodes of mass death; not all are devastating mass mortality events.

The kind of mass mortality events worrying scientists are anomalous punctuations—they are not an evolved and recurring dynamic in a creature’s life history (as the examples above are). They also, for the most part, don’t discriminate. “It’s everything: top of the food chain all the way down,” University of Arkansas biologist Simon Tye told me. “It’s just a full-on decimation of the population.” Most characteristically, these occurrences are dramatic. Experts have described them as single events that wipe out huge chunks of a population, kill more than a billion individuals, or leave behind 700 million tons of dead tissue (a mass equivalent to one million Christ the Redeemer statues).

In the last decade or so, mass mortality events worldwide have included the loss of 450-plus elephants in Botswana, 18,000-plus migratory birds in India’s Sambhar Lake, 350 Magellanic penguins in Argentina, hundreds of emaciated gray whales along the Pacific coast, and 99.9 percent of Spain’s fan mussels. Five thousand dead red-wing blackbirds rained down in Arkansas, and 45,000 flying foxes hung from trees and piled on the ground in Australia. Lightning struck down a huddle of 300 Norwegian reindeer. Billions of starfish melted into goop.

In 2022 alone, many die-offs made themselves known by washing ashore: 2,500 endangered seals on the Caspian Sea’s Russian shores, hundreds of seabirds on ice and shoreline in Newfoundland, more than 2,250 trout and salmon along Ireland’s Glenagannon River, thousands of crabs and lobsters along England’s River Tees, 60 dolphins on Bulgaria’s Black Sea coast.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

That’s some high quality doom right there. There’s a lot more in the article, and it is clear that the author is trying to find some bright spots here and there, but they do a great job of tempering that by illustrating the limits of resilience in a given system. The last paragraph looked like it was going to veer into uncertainty as a closer, but reeled it in at the very end. I give it 6 DOOMS out of 10. Pretty good, would doom again.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

BCR posted:

Wet bulb world map.
makes you wonder how much of the ethiopia/eritrea/tigray/south-sudan poo poo show of the last few years is climate/drought driven

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

MightyBigMinus posted:

makes you wonder how much of the ethiopia/eritrea/tigray/south-sudan poo poo show of the last few years is climate/drought driven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7HlHx0Tdik

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

nobody wants to work live anymore!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

just normal Arrakis things

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Popoto posted:

just normal Arrakis things

build more wind traps

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

TACD posted:

nobody wants to work live anymore!

drat straight

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what makes northern india and pakistan so extremely hot compared to other countries at the same longitude?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

actionjackson posted:

what makes northern india and pakistan so extremely hot compared to other countries at the same longitude?

the himalayas

kater
Nov 16, 2010

quote:

. A writhing, six-inch-deep, 30-foot-long stream of blowfly maggots flooded the carcasses, carrying away scientific equipment and heralding the arrival of thousands of flies, beetles, spiders, hornets, armadillos, lizards, and vultures.

k

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Looks like New Zealand will escape global warming after all!

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

my house. my arrakis. my dune.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
thankfully by 2040 the NY pension fund will only invest in net* zero** carbon*** entities

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

bedpan posted:

"The world is a vampire."

-Karl Marx in "The Decline of the West"

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

4d3d3d posted:

"Scientists have been wrong before so they must be wrong now" is a pretty common denialist/optimist trope. It's perfect because it's not really falsifiable and if you've got water on the brain the changing scientific consensus does appear to be indicative of the science still being unsettled

Of course, the updating consensus is almost 100% toward the "worse" side, meaning if anything the fact that we don't know every single thing that's happening vindicates the most apocalyptic pessimists and that cc is absolutely caused by the human race

As usual, rightwingers and anti-science charlatans play at concepts they don't understand because they assume that everyone thinks like they do, i.e. fuckedupedly

I was born with hydrocephalus. lol

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

BCR posted:

Wet bulb world

e:

Shifty Nipples posted:

Wet brain world

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Shifty Nipples posted:

same

cat botherer posted: