Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, Roy crossed a huge line and was a jealous little rear end in a top hat in that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My first thought was that as well, but then I thought it could’ve been from the angle of wanting to know who leaked it so he could go beat them with a rope

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

scytale posted:

My first thought was that as well, but then I thought it could’ve been from the angle of wanting to know who leaked it so he could go beat them with a rope

Although that seems more charitable, it's still dickhead behaviour, white knighting etcetera.

and even though Roy has expressed these intentions before on bullying, from inflection I gathered this case was just Roy's jealousy and sense of entitlement showing. He couldn't help himself, apologized immediately and cursed himself for it. A big dumb mistake that could easily cause permanent damage to his relationship (plutonic or otherwise) with Keely.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At the risk of seeming too charitable, yeah, it felt to me also like Roy momentarily forgot himself and fell back into an old habit, rather than that being a reflection of his current relationship with Keeley. Still sucks though!

Edit: Yeah, same, we even both said "charitable" lol

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, I’m not defending it, and I think after she left he realized he was definitely in the wrong

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I unironically like that we're all making it clear Roy was poo poo in that moment.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I also like how Jamie went and apologised.

It wasn't anything he had consciously done, and at the time Keeley would have known if she stopped to tonight his email was likely poorly protected. However ultimately he had the material and had been trusted to keep it secret and took all the responsibility in apologizing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PASWORD

:lol:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Nuclear Spoon posted:

after colin gets outed to the squad at least one other richmond player will reveal they're gay

With the time left I don't think they'll do a big exploration of it. I reckon he'll have big coming out moment to the team and they'll just be "oh, cool" and talk about how they already know one or two other team members are gay, and all the overly macho comments Colin has been making just made them not feel safe telling him.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season is such a loving mess lol

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Escobarbarian posted:

This season is such a loving mess lol

yeah it's all over the place and imo has been a bit boring as well

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

A big part is not knowing what the theme of this season is meant to be (even if they then subvert it).

Season 1 was very much about the team getting to know Ted Lasso, and Rebecca's scheme where she is actually undermining the team. The moment where she confessed to Ted and he immediately forgave her and they moved on definitely established what the show actually is about. Along the way we get to explore the characters and find out how they are deeper than we thought at the start.

Season 2 was them being relegated and trying to fight their way back up. Along the way we get to see the characters grow and change and develop.

Season 3 seems to be just about following what's happening to the characters. Not really sure what the arc is still.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think this episode was the point where I actually got sick of the show. No one is acting like a real human being, but it's also not funny enough to make up for it. The Hey Jude scene just felt like something straight out of a James Corden segment or something.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I really, really enjoyed last week's episode and I felt like Amsterdam was a Top 3 for the whole series, but this episode was pretty bad. All previous episodes have ranged from 7/10 to 10/10 for me. This was a 4 for me and that's being charitable.

The magic of this show, especially the first season, was how impossibly wholesome it was without being preachy. This episode was so hamfistedly preachy that I'm not surprised at all to see several posters use the term "PSA" to describe it.

It seemed like they made Roy act out of character just so they could show "toxic masculinity" in action. Roy would've known exactly who it was for based on the fact that it wasn't for him. He's become super close the Jamie and now all of a sudden he's jealous of that despite the fact she is actually with Jack now?

Jade reacts to Nate's clinginess by instantly becoming his girlfriend, uhhh okay, sure.

And the Hey Jude thing was cheezy as gently caress.

This was the first truly bad episode of the show, everything felt like characters were doing stuff just because the writers needed them to so they could get their message across.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

There are like 8 plotlines but they are only an inch deep. There are so many interesting ways the show could go but nothing gets enough of a treatment to be really interesting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feel like there's too many characters

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Data Graham posted:

For me, it’s not that there’s too many characters (there’s arguably the same number of main-ish characters there’s always been), but more that there doesn’t seem to be any cohesion in any of the character’s plot lines. Keely’s especially seems so isolated from everything that’s happening to everyone else, to the point where I mentally check out whenever one of her scenes pops up. Rebecca has also been basically a passenger these last few episodes, since the whole rom-com with the Dutch guy seems to have served no real purpose, at least for the moment. And presumably Nate’s arc will lead to some kind of redemption, but again, it’s taking a real winding and confusing road to get there.

I don’t know. I’m still enjoying the show for the most part (hell, last week’s ep and Amsterdam were top notch in my book) but it really feels disjointed and, at times, directionless.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
My man Jan with the dipshit "it's not illegal" take :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, and frankly I do not give a poo poo about Keeley's plotline at all. The show has so many weird power-dynamic romances and does nothing with them, or even seem to think they are odd at all. This episode just ignored Rebecca's...everything and while I wasn't unhappy to not have her psychic bullshit further explored, it just felt like they just drop plot threads constantly and pull them back later as if nothing happened. Jade and Nate are just annoying, too, and pretty much totally unnecessary.

Nobody in the show going to call out the therapist dating a former client as being lovely? Really?

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Ravenfood posted:

Nobody in the show going to call out the therapist dating a former client as being lovely? Really?

between this and Sam sleeping with the owner of his club, this show is ridiculous.

this season is terrible and a big part of it is because they aren’t focusing enough on the football and the development there. Instead, we saw one or two minutes of football and 55 minutes of bad character development

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I really like the previous two episodes, but what the gently caress was that?

The weird PSA was just plain bananas. I have to delete every photo of an ex? Get the gently caress out of here.

The Fappening was what, 8 years ago? I don't think there was victim blaming back then. But even if there was, how, all these years later do the writers think the "Jack making Keely apologize" storyline is even remotely acceptable/plausible?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

there is a wild amount of victim blaming anytime there’s a leak. like how Jack reacted and the letter is like, very minimal compared to the massive amount of poo poo folks who’ve had their privacy violated get.

and as someone who has had personal photos blithely passed around, yes loving delete them you creep.

What Jack did is one of the most realistic things this show has ever done.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For the Keely relationship the writers keep writing these awful wisecracks that no human would ever laugh at but the astonishing thing is they meep writing the laughter into the scene as well. It’s the most masturbatory writing I’ve ever seen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

spoon daddy posted:

between this and Sam sleeping with the owner of his club, this show is ridiculous.

this season is terrible and a big part of it is because they aren’t focusing enough on the football and the development there. Instead, we saw one or two minutes of football and 55 minutes of bad character development

We didn't even see it. We heard about it in the audio voice over at the start of the episode never to be seen again. I guess we see the West Ham players lining up at the start of the game.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
them not focusing on the football as much is fine because they don't do a very good job of it, unfortunately they're not doing a very good job of anything right now

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I know this show is all about positivity, but I find it very off-putting that the inappropriate and unethical actions by the therapist and Ted's wife are just not discussed with the seriousness they should be. It's illegal in some places for therapists to date former patients, but the show really seems to frame the conflict as just Ted not being able to or willing to "move on" and just ignoring the big big shadow cast on the end of his marriage by the fact that his councilor immediately started a relationship with his wife and patient.

I actually really hated the Diamond Dogs in that scene. What Jake is doing is, if not strictly illegal (although that's murky), definitely skeezy as gently caress and Michelle doesn't come out of it smelling of roses, and Ted is well within his rights to be furious, particularly as it's impacting the relationship he has with his son. I even think it would be Ted Lasso af for the lesson to ultimately be "your feelings are completely valid and you are getting hosed six days to Sunday, but you cannot let your impulses guide you. We will help you through this, but make sure you behave appropriately and not in a way that will get you further hosed over in future" rather than what we got which was basically "Ted you massive baby, they're allowed to go to Paris, how about you grow up a little?"

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

the escape goat posted:

and as someone who has had personal photos blithely passed around, yes loving delete them you creep.

I'm not talking about sexy-time shots. I'm talking about just plain happy snaps. The way the scene was framed it was like you break up with someone and have to nuke their entire existence from your life. gently caress that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Honestly, Keely feels like its another tv show right now. Like, dropping her plot would have no effect on anything going on with the team, Ted, or Rebecca. It feels a bit focus group that her plot must be included because people like the character.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Mooseontheloose posted:

Honestly, Keely feels like its another tv show right now. Like, dropping her plot would have no effect on anything going on with the team, Ted, or Rebecca. It feels a bit focus group that her plot must be included because people like the character.

They’re gonna try and spin her off. This season has been…just really not that good or funny. The Amsterdam episode was ok, but I think they squeezed all the juice out of this orange probably midway through the second season.

I loved the first season because it was basically a nice people version of Major League. The last two seasons, and this one in particular, seem more focused on trying to manufacture feel good moments and teach lessons instead of telling a funny story.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Well this episode is written by a former topless model, so if she had her pictures leaked i’d chalk it up to the writers working through their issues via the show, just with less relatable issues than failing marriages.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I had no idea she was a writer on the show but it's the actress that plays Bex. She actually did have something leaked when she was young so yeah it looks like this episode was pretty personal. I didn't have any problems with the plot — it's just that locker room scene that felt really forced and awkward.

I've been with this show pretty well so far, but these last couple episodes have been incredibly weak. Roy doesn't have any plots this season beyond "is training Jamie". Ted doesn't care about his job at all, which I thought was a plotline resolved by the Total Football reveal but he doesn't actually seem any different. The players don't have any arcs beyond "one is closeted".

Normally when a big prestige show knows it's on its final season, they go all out with a strong narrative but this just feels like it's meandering until Ted returns to America and they can make their spinoffs.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

The episode run times extending well past the original runtime has slowed the show down so so so much - it's lethargic.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

This season should have focused on a few big plots, instead of trying to squeeze in a plot for every character. The big ones for me would be:

- Ted and his anxiety/relationship with his son, minus the unethical marriage counsellor thing (since they don't seem to be addressing the ethics of it at all). Also his relationship with Nate (drop the gf plot, or at least devote less time to it.)

- Colin being closeted gay. I think the being a gay premier league footballer thing is an interesting story, because even now in 2023 there have only been like one or two to come out.

- The teams performance on the pitch, and the full redemption of Jamie wanting training from Roy to be a proper team player. Have a few smaller stories with other players that start and wrap up quickly like the stuff with Sam.

Everything else, either drop completely or push more into the background and devote less time to imo. As others have said the Keeley stuff especially feels like a completely different show and the only thing tying it to the club and rest of the characters is that she'll sometimes talk about it to Rebecca. Keep the episode lengths from S1 & S2 and you could have a much tighter show based on those main storylines, with a few smaller ones that don't take up so much time.

Overall it's still a decent show that's worth watching casually, but I think it's really dropped the ball this season and the whole finished series will be worse off for it.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

S1 was drat near perfect IMO, so it was always going to be hard, if not impossible, to top it. But yeah, this feels like much more of a dropoff than I was expecting, and I think--

Slotducks posted:

The episode run times extending well past the original runtime has slowed the show down so so so much - it's lethargic.

--is a big reason why.

Edit: I really hope there's some sort of post-mortem that goes into detail about what all the rewrites were about. Would be curious to see if the show we're getting is better or worse than the show we could have gotten.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 4, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm not talking about sexy-time shots. I'm talking about just plain happy snaps. The way the scene was framed it was like you break up with someone and have to nuke their entire existence from your life. gently caress that.

The scene made it unrealistically obvious what they were talking about in huge big letters, but you managed to take away something that wasn’t there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

The scene made it unrealistically obvious what they were talking about in huge big letters, but you managed to take away something that wasn’t there.
I also interpreted it as deleting everything. There was literally a dude who was like “what if it’s not sexy times photos?”

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Echoing some of the complaints in here. That last episode exhibited all the problems of the season as a whole, just lacking focus and spread too thin. Does anyone give one solitary gently caress about Nate's romantic life? And that totally absurd locker room scene, I felt like at any moment the characters were going to look directly into the camera and start lecturing me about deleting pics. Bizarre.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Plenty of better shows juggle both more characters and more intricate plot lines. It sucks seeing them blunder it here so badly. Everything keeps getting resolved super fast and unsatisfyingly. Zava was great, and then he's just gone. Which, sure. But, while that's influenced the background plot, none of the main characters seem to give a poo poo.

In Deadwood, Wild Bill has a similar weight of presence, and also leaves the show abruptly only a few episodes in. But it has echoes for the rest of the show, in actions and words. Here have they even mentioned Zava's name in the past two episodes? Why did we spend so much time with him in the first eps only for it to be completely forgotten? Even if he comes back on Ned's team to better build up the final battle, it's still a giant dropped ball.

The show seems to be really man v man averse. Nearly all of those conflicts wrap up in an episode or two, save Rebecca v Rupert, but the show seems to make every problem really man v self.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I’m beginning to think they didn’t have three seasons worth of material to mine out of a 20 second ESPN commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Suddenly remembering that Olivia Wilde was one of the people whose pictures were in the Fappening leak and, uh, that sure adds an extra "oof" to Jack's words to Keeley