Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Glad I stopped playing both of those games a week after they came out

A man can only press the button G so many times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
LotRO just launched new forums, glad they understand what their player base wants.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

Kaysette posted:

LotRO just launched new forums, glad they understand what their player base wants.

DDO did the same, and in the process nuked 15+ years of search results and bookmarks.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I thought this was a joke but no they are actually doing this. Jesus christ, Discord is not a forum you braindead idiots.

discord has forums!

...that in practice are literally just subchannels users can be allowed to make lol

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can do thread/forum-like channels in Disc. Definitely not as good as just regular forums though. Can’t be dead and gay if you’re on Discord.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Discord is also free to create this stuff, and requires the user to just make one account for the entire platform, and has pretty powerful API use so you can integrate it with Twitch, and social media platforms, plus your own game. Where running a forum costs a poo poo load of money, as Jeffrey has learned being the current owner of this dead rear end website.

Discord takes all of five minutes to setup for a community, where a forum requires quite a bit of technical knowledge and being able to host on servers, and again costs a mountain of money and figuring out storage. Discord takes care of all of that for you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Hasn't jeffery said that it doesn't cost much and it has always made a profit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought that hadn’t been true, but that was awhile ago. A forum specifically for a bad MMORPG though is not going to make any money.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Then they need to sell forum cosmetics for their posting avatar.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Then they need to sell forum cosmetics for their posting avatar.

You joke but Path of Exile does this lol

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Elevator pitch: Flight simulator on a gas giant MMO, catching resource balloons and gliding on thermals or puttering on solar power between dogfights with crazy alien poo poo.

I could bang it out just as an excuse to write a pretty cloud raytracer. Maybe nix the 'MMO' part but I want a single ridiculously oversized sky to play in.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

GW2 absolutely is updated.

Its better now than at launch.

And your launch account isnt going to be that far behind anyone else.

Dont delete any toons you made, the birhtday gifts are account bound and good

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

Discord is also free to create this stuff, and requires the user to just make one account for the entire platform, and has pretty powerful API use so you can integrate it with Twitch, and social media platforms, plus your own game. Where running a forum costs a poo poo load of money, as Jeffrey has learned being the current owner of this dead rear end website.

Discord takes all of five minutes to setup for a community, where a forum requires quite a bit of technical knowledge and being able to host on servers, and again costs a mountain of money and figuring out storage. Discord takes care of all of that for you.

all the way up to the point when it's deemed unprofitable and shut down or sold by its owners to facebook and somehow intergrated into that nightmare ecosystem and then you scramble and hope your old forum backups from 5 years ago still work

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Chrono Odyssey will come out in 2023 (allegedly) and will require a new PC to enjoy fully so start selling foot pics, goons.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ranzear posted:

Elevator pitch: Flight simulator on a gas giant MMO, catching resource balloons and gliding on thermals or puttering on solar power between dogfights with crazy alien poo poo.

I could bang it out just as an excuse to write a pretty cloud raytracer. Maybe nix the 'MMO' part but I want a single ridiculously oversized sky to play in.

I swear to god this concept actually exists.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I swear to god this concept actually exists.

Or you're thinking of that episode of cowboy bebop.

It is a little bit Elite Dangerous in not-space though.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ranzear posted:

make it into a mobile app and be rich

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They should make an MMO where you level by cooking nice meals out of monster parts

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

30.5 Days posted:

They should make an MMO where you level by cooking nice meals out of monster parts

Battle Chef Brigade The Mmo would be awesome

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

This would kick rear end imo

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Mr. Pickles posted:

make it into a mobile app and be rich

I already have a whole mecha-oriented mindscrew storied gacha game planned. Sometimes I don't want to be such a degenerate developer though.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ranzear posted:

I already have a whole mecha-oriented mindscrew storied gacha game planned. Sometimes I don't want to be such a degenerate developer though.

its called eccentric when you're rich. just make the flying game ripping off the sky children of the light vibe, color scheme and audio

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

MH Knights posted:

SWTOR and ESO both use Hero Engine, though I am not sure if they are the same version or are heavily modified.

My assumption is that both have to be heavily modified at this point. Especially since the company that makes Hero Engine went dark recently.

Ashurbanipal
Jun 2, 2010
someone should make a monsters & memories thread

so that I can read it

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i am a big idiot looking to get into a new MMO to play with goons and have a good time. i love skilling as opposed to straight combat but am not opposed to an emphasis on either. are there any MMOs not named world of warcraft with a large active goonbase that i should look into

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

barnold posted:

i am a big idiot looking to get into a new MMO to play with goons and have a good time. i love skilling as opposed to straight combat but am not opposed to an emphasis on either. are there any MMOs not named world of warcraft with a large active goonbase that i should look into

GW2 or FFXIV probably.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ff14 has a pretty fun crafting system, and the boss fights are really well designed because they're often fun both mechanically and visually/musically. the story is also p. good by videogame standards, though it starts somewhat slow

gw2 combat is firmly on the action side of mmo combats which i like a lot, but the good:bad encounter design ratio feels almost 50:50 at times. OTOH you can just leave for 2 years and come back any time since no subscription and no gear threadmill and then there's instantly a ton of fun to be had again

also, both have really good fashion endgames

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

barnold posted:

go play eve online with Goosefleet and honk in holes imo

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i have tried EVE multiple times in fact but it is just not for me. GW2 seems pretty cool so i am installing that

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Goons nowadays are pretty much playing just GW2, or FFXIV.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Goons nowadays are pretty much playing just GW2, or FFXIV.

GW2 was the point of no return for me. It is a great game, I like it a lot. Made a new character and casually hit the max level, but then all my drive to play suddenly evaporated. That's when I realized I'm not into mmos anymore :/

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Pickles posted:

GW2 was the point of no return for me. It is a great game, I like it a lot. Made a new character and casually hit the max level, but then all my drive to play suddenly evaporated. That's when I realized I'm not into mmos anymore :/

This is me. I enjoy MMOs as I'm leveling and exploring the world, but as soon as I hit max level my interest dies.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

barnold posted:

i have tried EVE multiple times in fact but it is just not for me. GW2 seems pretty cool so i am installing that

Eve is not a game you can casually try as a total newbie and hope to have fun. If you wish to dip your toes in eve you are doing it wrong.

What you really need to do is plunge into it head first and engage with other people 1000%. Join a big corp and sign up for their fleets and be prepared to have voices in your head 100% of the time. Those voices will give you content as well as assets like ships to fly in. You can absolutely make a difference as a complete n00b, but you cant do jack poo poo alone

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
GW2 has a special spot in my heart.

For understanding the reason why daoc had a good 3 faction map.

To making two good versions of it.

To making too many active maps at once to totally ruin most of the ideas behind it.

To just going insane with pvp to make it not good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mr. Pickles posted:

Yeah every mmo I've played is this. You become the dog that finally caught the car and realized it's just a piece of metal. If you don't have a strong guild to keep you playing you go "wow that was a waste of time"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Unless you enjoy the collecting and the bar-filling. MMOs are all about filling bars, there's a reason people quit when they don't have another immediate bar to fill. A lot of single-player games are all about collecting and filling bars and accumulating resources and all the things associated with MMOs, and people generally enjoy those.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

my one true love was Neverwinter but they changed the game a lot and even as a fully-kitted endgame character I am no longer powerful enough to do any of the new content, and the biggest rewards are restricted to weekly events. I just can't be hosed to log in only to play for like 30 minutes and then have to wait another week for the counters to reset and there ain't much else to do in the meantime. RIP

at least old school runescape will always be there for me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

barnold posted:

my one true love was Neverwinter but they changed the game a lot and even as a fully-kitted endgame character I am no longer powerful enough to do any of the new content, and the biggest rewards are restricted to weekly events. I just can't be hosed to log in only to play for like 30 minutes and then have to wait another week for the counters to reset and there ain't much else to do in the meantime. RIP

at least old school runescape will always be there for me

You could pay money to get caught up, but each expansion comes out to like $800 - $1000. And a new character costs around $6000 to be caught up with top tier gear for the newest content.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I said come in! posted:

You could pay money to get caught up, but each expansion comes out to like $800 - $1000. And a new character costs around $6000 to be caught up with top tier gear for the newest content.

:eyepop: more expensive than some gacha games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah Neverwinter is one of the most pay to win MMORPGs in every sense of the word. It fits the description of actual pay to win that people think of when they complain about the practice.