Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What happens when banks start popping so fast the loans and debts failed banks own don’t get snapped up by other banks and get lost in the shuffle?

something pretty funny, i bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What happens when banks start popping so fast the loans and debts failed banks own don’t get snapped up by other banks and get lost in the shuffle?

That's what economists refer to as The Cool Zone

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Stereotype posted:

So Powell just kept raising rates in order to increase unemployment except there's not enough people to work since they all died of covid and so he just kept increasing them until all the banks failed lmao

I mean even without covid, what made the volcker shock so effective is that it accompanied a transition from industrial capitalism to financial/service capitalism. industrial jobs were destroyed, the factories closed, and then production was moved abroad. inflation was offset by Unequal [international] Exchange
and the subsequent growth of the reserve army of labor drove wages down, accompanied by the breaking of labor power.

Powell is running a 50-year-old playbook that was created for a specific set of historical macroeconomic circumstances which no longer exist.

also, the ECB hiked 25 BPS, as expected

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

webcams for christ posted:

I mean even without covid, what made the volcker shock so effective is that it accompanied a transition from industrial capitalism to financial/service capitalism. industrial jobs were destroyed, the factories closed, and then production was moved abroad. inflation was offset by Unequal [international] Exchange
and the subsequent growth of the reserve army of labor drove wages down, accompanied by the breaking of labor power.

Powell is running a 50-year-old playbook that was created for a specific set of historical macroeconomic circumstances which no longer exist.

also, the ECB hiked 25 BPS, as expected

yep. trying to reproduce the distant past in spite of the present ftw

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1654084728322965505?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

anyhow powell should keep raising rates anyway. killing the zombie economy is probably the better option in the long run

not really since the goal is just concentrating power in a few mega firms

I guess it was inevitable

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

coelomate posted:

toronto dominion bank and first horizon terminate merger deal, shares in free fall

blood elevator may be opening into the end of this week?

They realized they don’t need to use the blood elevator if they just keep pushing rubes like you and me down the stairs

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

I think they should raise taxes

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

the fed should give everyone $2000 a day and then all their CEO friends would be very rich and happy and could raise prices and funko would be saved

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Jeremy Corbin campaigned on a law where if a British company tried to leave they would have to first offer to sell the company to the workers at market rate.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

something pretty funny, i bet

They begin foreclosures and repossessions indiscriminately

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

when people say regional bank i think of an old timey red brick building with some faux roman columns and a worth of 50 million, when in reality these banks are huge and worth billions each

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

Jeremy Corbin campaigned on a law where if a British company tried to leave they would have to first offer to sell the company to the workers at market rate.

Let’s cool it with the antisemitic remarks

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Egg Moron posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Look at this guy's face

https://twitter.com/LastCallCNBC/status/1653543348223787009

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Egg Moron posted:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

how weird half of all americans dont have any savings worth poo poo to worry from bank failures either

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

Look at this guy's face

Milken was indicted for racketeering and securities fraud in 1989 in an insider trading investigation. In a plea bargain, he pleaded guilty to securities and reporting violations but not to racketeering or insider trading. Milken was sentenced to ten years in prison, fined $600 million (although his personal website claims $200 million)[7] and permanently barred from the securities industry by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the bank store called theyre running out of you!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

see the problem with this banks is that they were performing a socially necessary function rather than trying to squeeze every ounce of blood out of the market possible

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

a.lo posted:

the bank store called theyre running out of you!

:sigh: just more problems with the market. is the fed going to bail this out too?!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

webcams for christ posted:

Milken was indicted for racketeering and securities fraud in 1989 in an insider trading investigation. In a plea bargain, he pleaded guilty to securities and reporting violations but not to racketeering or insider trading. Milken was sentenced to ten years in prison, fined $600 million (although his personal website claims $200 million)[7] and permanently barred from the securities industry by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

A hero

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DrPossum posted:

:sigh: just more problems with the market. is the fed going to bail this out too?!

Still implies spending money on a non oligarch so probably not, unless they can sell you afterwards.

If the bank can run too can it outrun the bank run?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Egg Moron posted:

lmao

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Egg Moron posted:

thread title

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

StealthArcher posted:

Still implies spending money on a non oligarch so probably not, unless they can sell you afterwards.

If the bank can run too can it outrun the bank run?

how many bank runs could a bank outrun if a bank runs to outrun bank runs?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Egg Moron posted:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

net work error posted:

When is Jay turning the rate knob again

wish he'd touch my knob

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pretty sure most people would have never noticed any of this if the government hadn't come running breathlessly into the room to scream about the strong and stable banking system.

"Don't worry we have infinite money and we can rescue all the banks" was maybe not as smart of a messaging move as intended

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

RadiRoot posted:

wish he'd touch my knob

You can do better OP

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

You can do better OP

i want to do worse

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/charliebilello/status/1654119256814919681

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

what a fuckin loser

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Celexi posted:

those things had expiration dates mate

the ua flag remains a solid indicator of garbage opinions, lol

Regions Bank must be looking healthy, they just put capital controls in place. 100k cap on daily outbound.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

bet the regional banks are going to be offering some sick deals in the hope that anything they agree will be bailed out

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1654127761987104774?t=sAsYzGXKO1J7ijo-QcmY6A&s=19

https://twitter.com/IvanTheK/status/1654127051350368257?t=zhlJXqw3dtOw0I-hP0EF8Q&s=19

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the bleeding is not yet sufficient to require us applying pressure

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It's regional banks turn to be thrown into the volcano to appease Number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
SSRs would probably trigger a legit bank run. Just mentioning the possibility is kind of bad.