Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

So, uh, skimming through the databank, are we to assume that the interastral civilization is hundreds of thousands of years old? I also found a news broadcast mentioning that they've been working on repairing the damage to the star lanes from stellaron corrosion for 900 someodd Amber Eras, or a minimum of ~70,000 years.

Well, assuming a Trailblaze year resembles an Earth year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Clarste posted:

So, uh, skimming through the databank, are we to assume that the interastral civilization is hundreds of thousands of years old? I also found a news broadcast mentioning that they've been working on repairing the damage to the star lanes from stellaron corrosion for 900 someodd Amber Eras, or a minimum of ~70,000 years.

Well, assuming a Trailblaze year resembles an Earth year.

Yeah. Star Rail is in the kind of far-off, anything-goes future with civilizations approaching even Type III on the Kardashev scale. The Xianzhou ships are implied to be as powerful as Dyson Spheres in their own right, if not as large.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It also mentions The Destruction destroying galaxies, but I honestly can't tell if that's a mistranslation since sometimes they also say "the Galaxy" as if there's only one relevant one.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 4, 2023

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

FractalSandwich posted:

I made it to rank 35, and the last 10 rolls from the new player experience were enough to bring me to my first pity standard banner pity window. I was mentally prepared to be met with Gepard E2, but the fates had mercy on me tonight.

So, what character did you pull?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

So, what character did you pull?
I can't brag about it. That's bad karma. I'll be cursed with 100 years of bad luck.

(It was Bronya.)

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Currently rocking Fire MC, Natasha, Himeko and Seele and I feel like I’m not sure I’m using or building Fire MC right. Should I be taunting a lot? It seems like enemies kind of ignore the taunt. The shields they give out also seem extremely small. I guess they hit the whole party which is nice. I just pulled a Clara and I’m tempted to put her in instead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Enemies can't ignore taunt, afaik, but it only lasts one turn so if the enemy gets multiple actions it might run out before you can apply it again. Plus they can resist it since it's a status effect. And it doesn't affect aoe attacks anyway.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Flowing Thot posted:

Currently rocking Fire MC, Natasha, Himeko and Seele and I feel like I’m not sure I’m using or building Fire MC right. Should I be taunting a lot? It seems like enemies kind of ignore the taunt. The shields they give out also seem extremely small. I guess they hit the whole party which is nice. I just pulled a Clara and I’m tempted to put her in instead.

Clara is great

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Taunt when there are adds that will get a turn before you kill them, so that you build meter quickly. Also consider taunting when the boss has used a focus move that's targeting your MC, for some damage reduction. But the real idea is that you power up your enhanced main attack and then hit hard without draining skill points.

Bosses have a decent amount of effect resist and also often have AoE attacks, so taunt is both unlikely to hit and not as effective as you want it to be when it does.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
So taunt is at it’s weakest in the only situation where I would really need it because trash mobs die so quickly anyway.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You're going to deal with beefy and high damage output trash mobs when pushing higher SU and memory (or whatever it's called) challenges.

But for the main story it's probably never going to matter, yeah.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

yknow I was complaining about not having a decent Harmony LC but I didnt mean for my issue to be solved like this

I would like a second 5* character already, please game. I've gotten Clara > LC > Clara > LC so far.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like March's aggro+ effect on her shield is a better single-target taunter than the fire MC.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

That's why you run fire MC with the +aggro -damagetaken LC. I was starting to see some enemies (bosses mostly) resisting the taunt, but the taunt+LC has made that a nonissue thus far. It also lets you get away with more attacks instead of burning points on the taunt itself.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

When I do use the fire MC I don't even bother doing the taunt because I'd rather gain points from attacking and I don't care about the damage reduction.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Welp, unexpectedly managed to pull Seele and Pela this morning with only special tickets I had

At this point should I now be special feeding tickets into that Light Cone event for that 5-star light cone, or into the Seele banner to get dupes for eidolons for her?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MechaX posted:

Welp, unexpectedly managed to pull Seele and Pela this morning with only special tickets I had

At this point should I now be special feeding tickets into that Light Cone event for that 5-star light cone, or into the Seele banner to get dupes for eidolons for her?

I think almost everyone's just saving up for future banners at that point.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

MechaX posted:

Unless you are ok with whaling I would save them instead. You'd need multiple Seele dupes for it to be 'worth it' since IMO E1 is not that crazy. And her LC is real good but she's so strong I don't think she really requires it to be good, meanwhile the next banner's LC looks crazy good so I'd say it'd be better to use on that if you are planning on going all in on an LC banner.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MechaX posted:

I’d save them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Something to keep in mind for players who aren't really familiar with gacha games, the generosity we got at launch/early level up one time bonus stuff is not going to be the norm and the amount of crystals and tickets you get is going to be significantly less going forward, so if you aren't planning on being a wallet warrior it is almost always better to save than to get greedy on dupes or LCs.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 4, 2023

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Ibblebibble posted:

yknow I was complaining about not having a decent Harmony LC but I didnt mean for my issue to be solved like this

I would like a second 5* character already, please game. I've gotten Clara > LC > Clara > LC so far.

At least Clara is awesome and pretty useful.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Clarste posted:

I feel like March's aggro+ effect on her shield is a better single-target taunter than the fire MC.

i "lucked" into gepard's LC on the standard banner and with its extra chance for the wearer to be attacked and march's own shield effect (and the ginormous def she's compelled to stack) she's an extremely potent tank

that said fire MC's group shield and damage reduction are bonkers in SU if you get the blessing that splits damage among the whole party

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

UHD posted:

i "lucked" into gepard's LC on the standard banner and with its extra chance for the wearer to be attacked and march's own shield effect (and the ginormous def she's compelled to stack) she's an extremely potent tank

that said fire MC's group shield and damage reduction are bonkers in SU if you get the blessing that splits damage among the whole party

When I did damage sharing it resulted in hits against Clara being spread across the rest of the party BEFORE her shield was applied. This had a non-optimal outcome.

Having said that don't sleep on it if you have fire TB, I beat world 6 with TB+March+Seele+Natasha with 11 preservation blessings and the upgraded (-15% dmg) damage sharing.

I think about the fire MC's taunt as damage reduction rather than damage prevention. If I lose a SU fight it's because someone who was probably already hurt ate a bunch of attacks in a row before I could respond. Fire MC taunt takes one of those single target attacks off the board.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Yeah. Star Rail is in the kind of far-off, anything-goes future with civilizations approaching even Type III on the Kardashev scale. The Xianzhou ships are implied to be as powerful as Dyson Spheres in their own right, if not as large.

Honestly with how they were growing their own ships it deeply reminded me of the Eldar wraithbones from 40k, along with the gigantic ships basically being their craftworlds equivalent

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
yeah fireMC really shines in SU since there's so many blessings that provide buffs if you have a shield. They're nowhere close to March's in efficacy but there's enough utility with the taunt/damage reduction/small shield combined that you can run fireMC+healer for all your defensive needs.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

I wonder if any of the other ones will get added later as new classes or new roguelike paths or something.

Edit: It's also interesting that some of them are mentioned that are explicitly dead (The Propagation, killed by The Hunt) or missing (The Beauty, got bored of the universe and left), while leaving out others brought up in the story who are also gone (The Order, absorbed by The Harmony; and The Permanence who also disappeared mysteriously).

Its an interesting set up so far yeah and shows just how much this companies story concepts are influenced by Gnosticism. Btw the main space china theme is really loving good. The games a little hit or miss with its music for me compared to Genshin but that one really stands out. Kind of get Zeal Palace from Chrono Trigger vibes a bit.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Caught myself humming the title theme the past week more than once, as with Genshin I really dig the music.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Flowing Thot posted:

Are you freezing them (if simulated world)? If they are frozen when taunting the turn where they break free of freeze will also tick down the taunt debuff, so when they take their real turn they are no longer taunted.

Other catches include attacks that hit randomly and attacks that target characters with traits. One of the centaurs locks on to everyone with the wind shear debuff and thus ignores taunt because its not a normal lock on despite using the exact same lock on symbol.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

GoodluckJonathan posted:

At least Clara is awesome and pretty useful.

She is, and it's not like I don't have a bunch of 4*s I need to work on as well, but it would be nice to have some 5* variety, you know.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Weirdly enough playing this game makes me want to play Endless Space 2 again...

Hopefully we get to meet actual aliens in Star Rail lol

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

who are the characters featured on firemc's ult?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

It’s a weird cut in, is it suppose to be all of her future forms?
Why would they pick fire for it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GateOfD posted:

It’s a weird cut in, is it suppose to be all of her future forms?
Why would they pick fire for it

Why would they pick the first form to do that lol

Just change the phys ult, the original ult, as you acquire new forms

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It's characters from the ice planet story: serval, gepard, bronya and seele.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Makes it even more weird, it’s not a combination attack. It’s a generic slash animation

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It's the relevant main storyline characters (except natasha) from the ice world boss fight where MC gets cool fire powers and a badass magma lance..

I do hope they go back and add something similar to physMC's ult, and then continue the trend as more elements/locations unlock. It's a neat reminder of who was involved at various points of our journey.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

frajaq posted:

Weirdly enough playing this game makes me want to play Endless Space 2 again...

Hopefully we get to meet actual aliens in Star Rail lol

Fox people and dragon people don't count? :cheeky:

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Clarste posted:

Yeah, I felt the same and was confused on fire MC praise. I started using her and it made me feel like I had to use Natasha in my party. Whereas, with March getting +aggro and immediately shielding herself, she would tank (and shield others) while phys MC and Sampo did big dps and Clara built skill points and did counter damage. I like how phys MC attacks almost immediately. But fire MC can't. Fire MC/Natasha/Sampo/Clara was safe but slow as hell and probably not as good, so I was going to go back to phys MC. This was complicated by just pulling Bailu as my second 5*. Reactive healing is more attractive to me and preventing deaths sounds great. But I'm still not positive how to use fire MC and my damage feels low when I include a healer. Using March made my tank and healer the same slot. Also her ult is good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fire MC shields the whole party and later game encounters are only really dangerous when they're doing AOE attacks. You kind of have to use Natasha in the party even with March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also against a single target phys trailblazer's damage is very low, to the point that fire mc is probably doing similar damage anyway