Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Ah yeah I bet that would do it - thanks! I should probably take a breather and enjoy the guitar I’m happy with before spending more on the other one :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

That probably won't fit inside a humbucker cutout on a pickguard as it's a replacement for a trim ring. The easy mod options are (cheap) buy a new guard cut for SS or (expensive) get one of those Lace Duals and a coil split option for both sounds.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Rest in peace Gordon Lightfoot. Musicians and folk fans from sea to sea will miss you :canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You can submit a request for a custom dually of which I would recommend getting an Emerald-Gold. When humbucking it will be in the PAF range and when you split to the Gold Sensor (which will be placed closest to the bridge) it will sound like a Strat coil.

If you need help with the order just pm me and I can get it done for you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

a.p. dent posted:

a little checklist for guitar ergonomics and posture...

1. are you fretting the notes as close to the fret wire as possible? this is the #1 cause of strain, it takes a lot more effort to fret in the middle even though the middle is intuitively where you'd want to go. and people don't talk about this enough, it drives me nuts!!

2. thumb position: with the caveat that there is TONS of variation in how people use their thumb, the best way is to have your thumb resting on the back of the neck between your 1st and 2nd fingers, with as little pressure against the neck as possible. imagine the neck resting in your hand and gravity doing the work of applying pressure to the string.

3. try the "buzzing strings" exercise: pick any set of single notes, a scale or whatever you like. run through the notes WITHOUT pressing the strings down at all, so they buzz. now repeat, and slowly increase the pressure bit by bit until the notes ring out. you might notice this takes much less pressure than you think! also notice that if you want to play louder, it takes more pressure to keep the note ringing clean.

if you really want to get into posture and ergonomics stuff, there's also Alexander Technique which lots of musicians use to reduce tension. thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012457

Late reply but tyty for the review!

I try to keep my fingers as close to the fret as possible, but I’m still pretty drat bad at that - i keep playing notes when my fingers are either right in the center of two frets, or have overshot the target fret entirely. Is that just lack of experience, or a dexterity problem? It’d help if there was like a stopper or something from fret to fret so that I get clear tactile feedback when I’ve hit the right spot for the next fret, too. Does that exist?

How would gravity apply pressure to a string? Gravity is perpendicular to the direction that strings need to be pressed in. It makes more sense to me to pull the guitar back a little so that there’s outward pressure on my fingers. Am I doing it wrong? Point well taken in the thumb belonging between the index and the middle finger tho, I am going to stick with that going forward.

I definitely need less pressure than I think, I’m just not consistently applying the right amount or in the right way. I’m kinda unsure about this - once I get home I’ll see what’s going on there.

Interesting technique, I’ll look into it.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Cross-posting from the DIY thread:

Finished up the '72 Tele Custom project I've been working on. Alder body with soft-v-carve roasted maple neck, both with a few coats of tru oil for finish. Mojotone 72 Clone in the neck and generic overwound tele pickup in the bridge. Really liking the Bensonite bridge saddles - WAY more comfortable than the Wilkinsons that I had been using. Been thinking of putting a sticker or something on the headstock as it looks kind of bare, so if there are any suggestions of what to put there I'm open to them.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Chip McFuck posted:

Cross-posting from the DIY thread:

Finished up the '72 Tele Custom project I've been working on. Alder body with soft-v-carve roasted maple neck, both with a few coats of tru oil for finish. Mojotone 72 Clone in the neck and generic overwound tele pickup in the bridge. Really liking the Bensonite bridge saddles - WAY more comfortable than the Wilkinsons that I had been using. Been thinking of putting a sticker or something on the headstock as it looks kind of bare, so if there are any suggestions of what to put there I'm open to them.

God I always love those telecasters. They just look incredible. poo poo. There is one near me for a decent price. I think I have a problem.

Also I stripped that Jazz bass down last night and super cleaned it. Removed the neck, strings, pickguard and knobs. How can someone rust all the pickguard screws in 5 years? I am 100% convinced he didn't know how to install strings because the G string had maybe 1 winding, the D had about 6, A maybe 12 and the E was too many to count. I ordered, new screws, a tortoise pickguard and daddario coated strings. The little rumble amp is perfect. It sounds pretty good, has a headphone jack, and aux in so I can jam along to music at night without pissing off the wife.

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 3, 2023

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
re headstock route a little channel along the lower edge and paint that bit black

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

"Fender Partscaster" water decal.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
We obviously have a lot of amps and pedals sitting around at work and we're two guitarists and one drummer, so we wrote some music in our spare time and then went into the studio and now somehow we're opening Desertfest London on Friday which will either be brutal (good) or brutal (bad). Here's my contribution to goon music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08QsfQyHQZc

I'm right channel guitar.

polar
Nov 3, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

There a lot of knobs I like seeing on the Metal Zone, should I get one? If not why not?
if you are going to buy one hold out for a 40$ one used at guitar center

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

TheMightyBoops posted:

There a lot of knobs I like seeing on the Metal Zone, should I get one? If not why not?

The metal zone went through a period where every 15 year old loved it, then a backlash where it was memed as the worst pedal ever, then a backlash to the backlash where people say things like “people just don’t know how to dial it in” or “well actually you’re supposed to run it into the fx loop as a preamp”

My thoughts- it inherently has a really compressed upper midrange buzzy nasal quality that’s very hard to dial out. Which doesent make it un usable but does make me wonder why anyone would would bother in an era where metal pedals and amp modelling have gotten a lot better. Or unless they just like that nasal quality in a scuzzy punk rock way.

It does sound better in the loop but no one can convince me running a stomp box into your fx loop is convenient or was originally intended practice.

The waza version de emphasises that nasal quality and so is actually kinda good.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 4, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

massive spider posted:

The metal zone went through a period where every 15 year old loved it, then a backlash where it was memed as the worst pedal ever, then a backlash to the backlash where people say things like “people just don’t know how to dial it in” or “well actually you’re supposed to run it into the fx loop as a preamp”

My thoughts- it inherently has a really compressed upper midrange buzzy nasal quality that’s very hard to dial out. Which doesent make it un usable but does make me wonder why anyone would would bother in an era where metal pedals and amp modelling have gotten a lot better. Or unless they just like that nasal quality in a scuzzy punk rock way.

It does sound better in the loop but no one can convince me running a stomp box into your fx loop is convenient or was originally intended practice.

The waza version de emphasises that nasal quality and so is actually kinda good.

I just want another distortion pedal and the Turbo Rat costs too much, I think I’ll just get a knockoff Turbo Rat.

Edit: I just saw that the Metal Zone had a lot more EQ knobs than I thought it would.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Turbo rat is more a boost with some clipping than a distortion pedal. Most 3rd party mini rat clones have a switch to from standard rat to turbo.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

Turbo rat is more a boost with some clipping than a distortion pedal. Most 3rd party mini rat clones have a switch to from standard rat to turbo.

Yeah I found one that had Turbo, Dirty, and Rat 2. I already have a Rat 2.

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
While we’re on the topic of distortion pedals, what’s a good option to put me in JCM 800 territory if I’m playing through a Deluxe Reverb? Somewhere in the neighborhood of Violence Has Arrived era Gwar, Power Trip, etc…

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Uhh, tube screamer into a ds1?

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Is it really that simple? Shows how much I know about pedals. Thanks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

DangerousSmells posted:

While we’re on the topic of distortion pedals, what’s a good option to put me in JCM 800 territory if I’m playing through a Deluxe Reverb? Somewhere in the neighborhood of Violence Has Arrived era Gwar, Power Trip, etc…

https://www.pedalpalfx.com/pal800-v3-gold-overdrive

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

in awe of how simple but completely perfect and effortless this song is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd6zTuklghY

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

DangerousSmells posted:

If you're looking to listen, your search term could be "MIAB Pedal," Marshall in a Box.

Angry Charlie? Friedman BE-OD?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

be-od is great for modded marshall sounds - i think if you're going for power trip it'd get you in the ballpark - and the pedalpalfx sounds great in every clip i've ever heard. in a vacuum i'd probably go be-od cause they're common enough to get used easily.

another thing i've seen recently which is coming out soon is this distortion pedal called the thrasher https://www.electriceyeaudio.com/product-page/the-thrasher

it's trying to get that 80s thrash metal sound in a box and seems to be really great at that, but every clip i've heard is someone using it into a clean amp into a cab with v30s rather than like, a fender/vox combo so idk how it stands up with the latter.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Pedal Pal 800 is quite literally a copy of the JCM 800 preamp substituting jfets for the tubes. I thought it’d have more tricks or something but it’s a direct clone. Sounds great to me.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The Pedal Pal 800 is quite literally a copy of the JCM 800 preamp substituting jfets for the tubes. I thought it’d have more tricks or something but it’s a direct clone. Sounds great to me.

are there any more pedals that do this with different amps?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Southern Cassowary posted:

are there any more pedals that do this with different amps?

Tons of pedals. Just search for amp in a box.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Armacham posted:

Tons of pedals. Just search for amp in a box.

oh i meant more like just ripping off the preamp section of a given amp, i know there's lots of amp-in-a-box pedals but i assume they're just drive pedals voiced to sound certain ways

as i type this i'm realizing i honestly don't know how a preamp and a drive pedal varies in terms of circuitry

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

oh i meant more like just ripping off the preamp section of a given amp, i know there's lots of amp-in-a-box pedals but i assume they're just drive pedals voiced to sound certain ways

as i type this i'm realizing i honestly don't know how a preamp and a drive pedal varies in terms of circuitry

Now I'm confused too. Like from an engineering perspective I thought a pre amp does amplification (ie increasing total power in watts) while a drive pedal is a spectral modulation that mimics what happens in a nonlinear amplifier just without the change in amplification.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Spanish Manlove posted:

Now I'm confused too. Like from an engineering perspective I thought a pre amp does amplification (ie increasing total power in watts) while a drive pedal is a spectral modulation that mimics what happens in a nonlinear amplifier just without the change in amplification.

I might be wrong but I think that’s a power amp that’s driving the actual volume. Drive pedals are all preamps no?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I also thought it was done in stages originally in the effort to stay in the linear range of each amplifier to increase total overall increase in power without distortion. But amp designs are traditional and haven't changed from the OG types that are reverse engineered radio amps

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Here’s the forbidden secret- drive pedals are technically pre amps. Anything that increases gain pre amplification is a pre amp. An EQ pedal is a preamp. Your audio interface has a pre amp. A pedal labelled “pre amp” is really just a pretentious drive pedal claiming it’s good enough to go straight into a power amp.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 4, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Yep a ton of drive pedals are literally just the preamp stage of an amp in a stomp box. You can pretty much just replace a tube with a JFET in a given design. Here's an example of a fender preamp : https://www.runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I mean that's kind of the theory behind running distortion pedals straight into the effects return, you're using the pedal in place of the amp's internal preamp. The amp's preamp is just a built in EQ pedal that probably also has a clipping circuit. You can use tubes or solid state amplifiers in either, although because of their size and relative fragility you don't usually put tubes in a pedal.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

If a preamp, like a JCM 800, is designed to distort there often isn’t a technical difference between a drive pedal and a preamp. Barton Amps made a tube amp with a big muff as the preamp once.

https://youtu.be/y0IadGrLVhM

massive spider posted:

Here’s the forbidden secret- drive pedals are technically pre amps. Anything that increases gain pre amplification is a pre amp. An EQ pedal is a preamp. Your audio interface has a pre amp. A pedal labelled “pre amp” is really just a pretentious drive pedal claiming it’s good enough to go straight into a power amp.

This.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A discrete Rat preamp into a normal power section would be fun.

polar
Nov 3, 2003
Some of the Menatone amp in a box stuff is cool. The shins music dumbloid has always been expensive.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Armacham posted:

Yep a ton of drive pedals are literally just the preamp stage of an amp in a stomp box. You can pretty much just replace a tube with a JFET in a given design. Here's an example of a fender preamp : https://www.runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html

I've built a few of these they are great.
They are a little fiddly in that you have to have trim pots to bias the jfets, but other than that they are pretty straightforward builds.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Late reply but tyty for the review!

I try to keep my fingers as close to the fret as possible, but I’m still pretty drat bad at that - i keep playing notes when my fingers are either right in the center of two frets, or have overshot the target fret entirely. Is that just lack of experience, or a dexterity problem? It’d help if there was like a stopper or something from fret to fret so that I get clear tactile feedback when I’ve hit the right spot for the next fret, too. Does that exist?

How would gravity apply pressure to a string? Gravity is perpendicular to the direction that strings need to be pressed in. It makes more sense to me to pull the guitar back a little so that there’s outward pressure on my fingers. Am I doing it wrong? Point well taken in the thumb belonging between the index and the middle finger tho, I am going to stick with that going forward.

I definitely need less pressure than I think, I’m just not consistently applying the right amount or in the right way. I’m kinda unsure about this - once I get home I’ll see what’s going on there.

Interesting technique, I’ll look into it.

the gravity thing makes more sense if the neck is angled up significantly, like in a classical position, around the height of your head. maybe this can help? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCsSiYTZdR0

when i'm standing and playing with a strap i keep the guitar really high so i can get that advantageous angle. though i see that justin guitar says otherwise, so... i dunno!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A discrete Rat preamp into a normal power section would be fun.

Just the gain stage from the rat as the preamp gain stage and them a bunch of selectable clipping stages including a normal rat, a screamer's clipping stage, etc.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just the gain stage from the rat as the preamp gain stage and them a bunch of selectable clipping stages including a normal rat, a screamer's clipping stage, etc.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I tried playing a B&G Little Sister and was stunned by how drat good the neck felt and how perfect the action was. Is there anything at all in the $1400 and below price range that has a similar neck and action? Closest I've found was some flavor of Stratocaster but it was just a tall-ish C neck.