Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that that's the case at all, so it's probably just as likely as anything else folks are proposing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ubik_Lives posted:

I guess I'm alone in this theory, but I assumed it was a warning against messing with the Victory Day parade in Moscow. If Ukraine was thinking of sending over a drone to glitter bomb Russian soldiers blue and yellow, they know that Russia will take this as an assassination attempt against Putin and go nuts. It seemed to me like a message to Ukraine to not embarrass them, without the embarrassment of having to ask that.

Sorry, it seems you need to shave with occams razor here, this is some extreme 5th dimensional chess

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Chalks posted:

You may be correct, but I don't think the mere capacity for one side to act irrationally tips the balance of probability here. Their previous mistakes have been easy to explain with poor intel and corruption, here we need to leap to them successfully pulling off a complex operation that simply makes no sense.

If this is a false flag, I'm much more prepared to believe there's some rational plan with flawed assumptions, just like all their other mistakes. They're not brain dead. Their track record in this war is bad for actual reasons that can be understood, it's not just a series of totally nonsense actions.

the myriad reasons that the 1999 apartment bombings are considered a possible false flag operation, along with the bungling of the Dubrovka and Beslan sieges, are demonstration enough that the Russian security services are perfectly capable of screwing up operations on home turf

i am doubtful we'll have a good explanation for this (or the above events) until decades down the road when archives get unsealed, but a poorly-conceived and executed false flag operation isn't outside the realm of possibility

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The ISW is endorsing the false flag theory: https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-3-2023

Their main reasons were:
- The amount of air defense stationed in the area makes a real attack infeasible
- High quality video of the attack was quickly made available
- A coordinated media message was delivered within hours, whereas surprising events in the past have usually had slow and unclear messaging from the russian government and media

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

big shtick energy posted:

The ISW is endorsing the false flag theory: https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-3-2023

Their main reasons were:
- The amount of air defense stationed in the area makes a real attack infeasible
- A coordinated media message was delivered within hours, whereas surprising events in the past have usually had slow and unclear messaging from the russian government and media

I'm not sure they are right about media coverage. The first report anyone could find was on a small local telegram channel at about 5 in the morning. After that, there was literally nothing on TV about it, and only at 15, they had a vague statement aired without even showing the footage of the explosion itself (because it looks spookier than it is). By the evening of the same day they had the typical hysterical reaction you would expect that didn't need to be coordinated.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 4, 2023

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Nathan Ruser, in particular, has been spotlighting the institution that ISW has become and needing to feed the media machine rather than sitting tight until we actually know more. If we ever do.

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1654062758357532672?s=20

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If this is a Russia false flag, I think its just a backup plan. Like adding a new reason to escalate in case Putin wants to.

Also if these 2 were amateur drones, Russia probably would give a close up of the blown up drone to show how amateur the drones were.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Nathan Ruser, in particular, has been spotlighting the institution that ISW has become and needing to feed the media machine rather than sitting tight until we actually know more. If we ever do.

Yeah, the ISW has really become way over the top lately and not something I take seriously anymore. The media speed/coverage angle seems silly to me, since having a false flag playbook that makes it obvious something is a false flag just seems really dumb. Feels like tea leaves to me.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Their main reasons were:

A lot of pushback on this article in particular

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1654127798255222787

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1653098365440208897

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1654125493032198151

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

stephenthinkpad posted:

If this is a Russia false flag, I think its just a backup plan. Like adding a new reason to escalate in case Putin wants to.

Also if these 2 were amateur drones, Russia probably would give a close up of the blown up drone to show how amateur the drones were.

We keep talking about escalation but what can Putin do to escalate that he isn't doing already?
He can't carpet bomb Ukrainian cities because they don't have air supremacy.
All they can do is use drones and missiles the way the Nazis' used their V1s and V2s in WW2 and that isn't enough.

The only "escalation" left is the use of nuclear weapons which despite the sabre rattling is probably never going to happen because that's red line that would isolate Russia from even their own allies.
The other escalation is to engineer a tragedy that would galvanize the Russian people into a mass mobilization. I don't think anyone in Russia is capable of faking a false flag big enough to pass the smell test in this case.

So really there is no situation beyond nuclear weapons or mass mobilization to worry about.

Xtronoc
Aug 29, 2004
Pillbug
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-euro...post_type=share

Evidence to support that lean towards not being a false flag. BBC's Steve Rosenberg frequently reads headlines from Russian newspapers, whether state-affiliated or business orientated, to get a read of the editorial mood at Russian newsrooms. So far the response from the papers are muted which doesn't suggest a co-ordinated media campaign that will follow if it was indeed a false flag.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Xtronoc posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-euro...post_type=share

Evidence to support that lean towards not being a false flag. BBC's Steve Rosenberg frequently reads headlines from Russian newspapers, whether state-affiliated or business orientated, to get a read of the editorial mood at Russian newsrooms. So far the response from the papers are muted which doesn't suggest a co-ordinated media campaign that will follow if it was indeed a false flag.

Well it also might be because the entire op was so bad that they can’t even justify trying to spin it.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Djarum posted:

Well it also might be because the entire op was so bad that they can’t even justify trying to spin it.

The thing looked like a black powder explosion with zero fragmentation. You can probably throw competence along with it being a strike by Ukraine out the window of ideas.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The whole thing is very weird so I'm guessing it's going to be one of those wartime events that we never actually get a satisfactory explanation for.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I was curious how cost efficient Ukraine's air defences against drones are.
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/...20the%20drones.

This article says they're using the Gepards a lot, which I guess isn't too bad, but also some of their missile based systems, which AFAICT cost like 20x per shot as the drones they are defending against.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The big concern isn't cost, it's running out of ammo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The thing is also that a missile may be 20× more expensive than a drone, but the thing the drone is trying to hit may be 1000× more expensive.

Same thing with javelins, sure they may cost as much as the tanks they are destroying, but if they ensure the defenders can keep their positions and avoid casualties, it's more than worth it

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

OddObserver posted:

The big concern isn't cost, it's running out of ammo.

Looking at you here, Switzerland...

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Independence posted:

The thing looked like a black powder explosion with zero fragmentation. You can probably throw competence along with it being a strike by Ukraine out the window of ideas.

I also struggle to think of a time when Ukraine bothered with theater like this and/or didn't use ordinance to strike a useful target.

Like, they wouldn't be going after the loving flagpole, they would target the entire dome or even the executive office building. Better yet, they would target the rail infrastructure around the city.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Looks like Ukraine may have accidentally shot down one of their own TB2 drones over Kyiv

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1654193643614359578

https://twitter.com/Rebel44CZ/status/1654197244575330304

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1654194753406226436

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Chalks posted:

Looks like Ukraine may have accidentally shot down one of their own TB2 drones over Kyiv

The false flags are getting more and more frequent!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pook Good Mook posted:

I also struggle to think of a time when Ukraine bothered with theater like this and/or didn't use ordinance to strike a useful target.

Like, they wouldn't be going after the loving flagpole, they would target the entire dome or even the executive office building. Better yet, they would target the rail infrastructure around the city.

My view is that maybe Ukraine is sending Putin a message that reads "we can get you, we didn't want to this time, but you should consider retreating". But a local Russian opposition group is also very plausible.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My view is that the Keebler Elves did it from their little treehouse.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Chalks posted:

Apparently the shoot down wasn't an accident but intentional after they lost communication with the drone and it started flying over the city

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1654215719892967427

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Looks like UA takes a page out of equine veterinary practices when dealing with rogue drones. Can't say I blame 'em.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I’m surprised to hear about a TB2 flying (especially so far from the front), I had the impression that while initially successful they were more of an overblown meme after the first several months and weren’t worth flying against air defenses that are active now.

I can’t point to anything explicitly saying the above, just the general gist I’d picked up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Drones have a ton of uses outside of front-lines stuff. The optics and sensor packs on modern drones are really ridiculous.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

The whole thing is very weird so I'm guessing it's going to be one of those wartime events that we never actually get a satisfactory explanation for.
https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1653747936667262976

quote:

The emergence of unidentified unmanned aerial vehicles at energy facilities or on Kremlin’s territory can only indicate the guerilla activities of local resistance forces. As you know, drones can be bought at any military store...

I'm perfectly satisfied with that explanation.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Their main reasons were:
The ISW is full of poo poo, and should just keep it at "no one knows who executed the attack."

The argument that there wouldn't be high quality video available is laughable considering
It's 2023. There was video of the first strike on 9/11 22 years ago...

The videos were also only released much later on the day as I understand it.

Independence posted:

This being a possible Ukranian strike doesn't require it to be effective, depending on the goals of the strike and which actor actually comitted the attack (could be rogue operators, similar to the ones who orchestrate incursions across the Russian border).
Ukraine has performed multiple strikes on Russian territory just in the past days (bombing fuel depots). It's also not clear whether Russia has the capability of executing large scale terror bombings of Ukraine, or at least not without a large cost (not bombing actual military targets). We'll have to see that happen first to take it into consideration.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

CSM posted:

Ukraine has performed multiple strikes on Russian territory just in the past days (bombing fuel depots). It's also not clear whether Russia has the capability of executing large scale terror bombings of Ukraine, or at least not without a large cost (not bombing actual military targets). We'll have to see that happen first to take it into consideration.

They're saying that Russia is warming the crowd for a monstrous false flag attack on their own civilians.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

CSM posted:

I'm talking about Podolyak's reference to this:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/defence-and-security-blog/2014/mar/06/ukraine-gross-violation-russian-troops

quote:

Russian president Vladimir Putin, at a press conference this week, refused to confirm they are Russian regulars and suggested they were spontaneous groups who could have acquired the uniforms from army surplus stores.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Blorange posted:

They're saying that Russia is warming the crowd for a monstrous false flag attack on their own civilians.

I would take what Podolyak says with a huge grain of salt. He's also saying local groups and guerilla are behind the energy attacks in Russia, which is obviously not true seeing as how Ukraine just confirmed not long ago they attacked that fuel depot near Sevastopol. He's also a pretty big hawk, seeing as how he called for preemptive nuclear strikes on Russia's missile sites.

They also said that they weren't behind the explosion that killed Dugina's daughter, which later turned out to not be true and the U.S. also wasn't aware of similar to the Kremlin drone attack
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/05/us/politics/ukraine-russia-dugina-assassination.html

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 5, 2023

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Blorange posted:

Speaking of flags, still loving that russian representative in Ankara who tried to win by capturing the Ukranian flag, and got punched in the loving face by a Ukranian MP for his trouble

Flag was returned to base FYI so the war is still on

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Willo567 posted:

I would take what Podolyak says with a huge grain of salt. He's also saying local groups and guerilla are behind the energy attacks in Russia, which is obviously not true seeing as how Ukraine just confirmed not long ago they attacked that fuel depot near Sevastopol. He's also a pretty big hawk, seeing as how he called for preemptive nuclear strikes on Russia's missile sites.

They also said that they weren't behind the explosion that killed Dugina's daughter, which later turned out to not be true and the U.S. also wasn't aware of similar to the Kremlin drone attack
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/05/us/politics/ukraine-russia-dugina-assassination.html

That seems like a pretty threadbare reason to believe Ukraine was behind the Dugina assassination? Some unknown officials saying the US thinks Ukrainians did it is really far from definitive?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ok, I gotta come clean because this is getting out of hand. I did it. I work at Amazon and one of the guards at the Kremlin ordered a bulk package of butane lighters so I sent it over by drone and, well, I'd had a few drinks as one does to get through the day and the drone just got away from me.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Speaking of other people who are also not entirely trustworthy:

(graphic tweet removed)

Really wondering what's going on with this.....

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 5, 2023

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

OddObserver posted:

Really wondering what's going on with this.....
He is mad. Prizohin has bitched about ammo shortage before however there seems to be a shortage of ammo across the Russian army if telegram posts are to be believed. So he thinks he is getting blue balled by the Russian MoD where there is a strong possibility that there isn't enough ammo to go around or at least get to where it is needed.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
You probably want to edit it out before someone obsessively following the war thread complains that they had to see some images of the extremely brutal war, instead of instances of the libs getting owned

On topic, that's truly remarkable, Wagner making a retreat soon?

quote:

He is mad. Prizohin has bitched about ammo shortage before however there seems to be a shortage of ammo across the Russian army if telegram posts are to be believed. So he thinks he is getting blue balled by the Russian MoD where there is a strong possibility that there isn't enough ammo to go around or at least get to where it is needed.

He was complaining about ammo shortages at the start of the year angrily ( his troops were making videos calling Gerasimov fa*got), then toned it down, now this. He seems like he has nothing to lose anymore, he's done , either the Ukrainians or the russian army get him

Somaen fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 5, 2023

GrevMoror
Sep 12, 2022
I do not ever think I have seen such a video before. How can it be that Prigozhin have not yet lost his head in the political game in Russia? Who is holding their hand over him and keeping him alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funk_mata
Nov 1, 2005

I'm hot for you and you're hot for me--ooka dooka dicka dee.
Clapping Larry
How do mercenary groups typically get their equipment? Do they--or more specifically Wagner--buy them from the defense industry in whose country they operate? Should groups like Wagner even expect "free" ammunition from the MoD if they are a mercenary outfit? I'm hoping someone in this thread can educate me here, because Prizohin's whining seems strange: if you are a mercenary outfit, you get paid for waging war well; and if that's the case then your inability to field weapons is indicative of your inability to wage war well. That is, you're not making enough money by "winning enough" to purchase weapons or ammo. Or is it simply the case that waging war is way more expensive then any mercenary outfit can hope to wage without external support even with capitalist incentives.