Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Infinity Gaia posted:

They don't really need any extra tools to just do their job of gliding, just height. If you're having trouble getting them off the ground, use your grabby hand, move the item over the open air and then back, then use recall on it. Grabbing something, moving it, then recalling it is key to doing a lot of puzzles the wrong way and it's a lot of fun.

I don't think I had the time reverse thing when i first encountered the gliders not sure, but I probably never would have thought of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I guess I'm a well enthusiast now.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Also, if anyone is having crashing issues with ryujinx, set memory manager mode to host (fast). I haven't crashed at all since I changed that. Or maybe one of the updates did it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wells are the new Grottos. I love collecting one slimy newt per well, because I can never remember to have enough couth to not scare em all off.

And man I get a lot of Dark Souls and Elden Ring vibes. Some recursive influence there, but so far I've had several FromSoft moments where I feel like more of the team definitely has played.

One was dropping into some dark gap into some place called like Altar of Bone, pitch black, except for skeletons I must fight in an arena. I have invisible floor issue so maybe in the intended experience it's not quite so dark? Not necessary for the fight really but I was worried about drops, weren't any though.

Another I was just gliding around and dove to catch what I thought was a lil Korok puzzle and suddenly I'm in the dark root depths or whatever descending a root system with enemies to harass me and treasures to entice.

My health is so low if I'm sloppy in combat I can easily die too lol

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

playing this feels like a loving slog if youve played the first already. i cant believe they didnt bother to change any of the sfx or weapon degradation or korok poo poo at all. presentation is near identical. big whoop i can build vehicles--to do what, drive around a world ive already seen?

i just dont get it.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i like the caves though

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

cumpantry posted:

i just dont get it.

if the reddit slapfights were good for botw and the open world vs. dungeon fans, this game is going to be gloriously divisive, just absolute love or hate with no in between, I can't wait

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I wasn't exactly obsessive about BotW but I find it kinda fun to see what changes happened around the world. It doesn't really feel like going through the same place twice because everything besides basic geography is different.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Frogger shrine cool. Hope they do more with that than a weird treasure bonus.

Just did a shrine in the air after piloting some floating blocks. In the end used two floating blocks to just make myself a staircase under this island and supported into it and got the crystal gem I needed.

It's a shame you can't glue horse to glider and do a kind of drop where you and the horse dive bomb off. I swear games never let horses do anything but run and jump. Never divebomb.

Sky gliding across the map rules, sorry 15 shrines I skipped over, I'm too busy cruising.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The more I play this the more impressed I am that it feels like a perfect blend of BotW and the older games. Like there’s an actual focus on narrative instead of it just feeling like an afterthought! And everything about the dungeons sounds real exciting to me.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Khanstant posted:

Frogger shrine cool. Hope they do more with that than a weird treasure bonus.

Just did a shrine in the air after piloting some floating blocks. In the end used two floating blocks to just make myself a staircase under this island and supported into it and got the crystal gem I needed.

It's a shame you can't glue horse to glider and do a kind of drop where you and the horse dive bomb off. I swear games never let horses do anything but run and jump. Never divebomb.

Sky gliding across the map rules, sorry 15 shrines I skipped over, I'm too busy cruising.

Theres a (datamined so maybe not read this if your adverse sky horse in the files

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Trying to do anything precise with the ultrahand on an old joycon feels like playing loving QWOP but game owns otherwise

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Are the Yiga back? They seem like they'd be loving this Ganondorf poo poo.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Icedude posted:

The disguised Yiga travelers return. Don't know if they factor back into the story, though.

cumpantry posted:

i cant believe they didnt bother to change any of the sfx or weapon degradation or korok poo poo at all. presentation is near identical. big whoop i can build vehicles--to do what, drive around a world ive already seen?

TotK feels like playing BotW 4.0. Instead of making a whole new game, they used the MMO model and added 6 years worth of patches and expansion packs.

It does address some of the problems I had with BotW. There's so much more to do in the world and side quests out the rear end. It can be a bit annoying tbqh as now key items and mechanics are now gated behind them, making the game feel more linear.

Story wise it feels like what you're doing makes more sense. Like there's an actual narrative as opposed to only getting the story through collecting cutscenes. I figure those gamers who actually care about story in Zelda games will be completely satisfied.

I am optimistic that things will open up getting to the depths.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 4, 2023

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The disguised Yiga travelers return. Don't know if they factor back into the story, though.

Neat! Can't wait to set up contraptions to smack them the moment they transform like those BoTW vids

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
I didn't mind the first island and I even did the shrines in the totally wrong order and skipped most of the content because I was going places using bizarre methods.

You want to finish with the cold shrine high up so you can glide right to the temple.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Also the devs clearly were playing nier automata the year BOTW came out because the automatons almost seem like a direct reference

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
So uh do seeds de-spawn overtime? I went back to the sky smelter dude and the entire area was reset and had zero seeds... (getting back there sucks)

If they do de-spawn, I might have wasted a ton down in the depths lol :(

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone who is currently playing this game please tell me if you're having fun?

I was thinking of preordering with a voucher, but I hate preordering stuff based solely on hype.

Is the game actually fun?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Dr.D-O posted:

Can someone who is currently playing this game please tell me if you're having fun?

I was thinking of preordering with a voucher, but I hate preordering stuff based solely on hype.

I like mystery and exploration and puzzles and this game is full of that (also combat). If you liked BOTW you will definitely like this game and you will have fun.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dr.D-O posted:

It's actually kinda boring. The game doesn't even put down waypoints for me to follow and hurry the story along. It's so tedious to have the freedom to go anywhere and mess around with exploring at my own pace.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah game owns, depths as a do your own thing and explore area owns, lego stuff together owns, also the game is loving massive so prepare to sink 100+ hours in a playthrough easily

edit: im at like 20 hours and havent touched the first dungeon yet

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Icedude posted:

I haven't touched the depths yet due to an emulation bug, but I revisited the Great Plateau and had a great encounter in the old cave of resurrection.

w00tazn posted:

So uh do seeds de-spawn overtime? I went back to the sky smelter dude and the entire area was reset and had zero seeds... (getting back there sucks)

If they do de-spawn, I might have wasted a ton down in the depths lol :(

I think they respawn with blood moons? I went back to the zonai mine from the start to find more ore and that and the buds all respawned.

Darkness being a real mechanic feels Very Zelda to me in a way that I'm vibing with. I can't wait to do dumb stuff with Zonai Mirrors. Related, found a sky island with a Mirror Shield puzzle out Gerudo way. This is real Zelda poo poo right here.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yiga are definitely still a thing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

queeb posted:

yeah game owns, depths as a do your own thing and explore area owns, lego stuff together owns, also the game is loving massive so prepare to sink 100+ hours in a playthrough easily

edit: im at like 20 hours and havent touched the first dungeon yet

Lol same boat, playing every night since it came out and still haven't been to a dungeon or revisited the champion towns. Keeps being something else new in the way.

Also don't waste time trying to paper airplane your glider from flat ground, you definitely want some height to kick off the flight

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm on the way to the Rito Dungeon and it really feels like BotW 2.0, just an improved experience all around
sucks for the people that burned out on botw

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Has anyone put out a high level summary of the game's main path? Is it the same as BOTW with 4 main dungeons, and dozens of shrines? I know there's underground and sky areas, but not sure how everything comes together.

Also does it have hero's path?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Khanstant posted:

Also don't waste time trying to paper airplane your glider from flat ground, you definitely want some height to kick off the flight

unless you get some fans and wheels, then you slap 3 wheels 2 fans and a steering wheel on that bitch and fly a dang plane

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

Khanstant posted:

Lol same boat, playing every night since it came out and still haven't been to a dungeon or revisited the champion towns. Keeps being something else new in the way.

Can't you just lift it up with ultrahand/recall for instant flat ground gliding?

I'm becoming an ultrahand/recall evangelist it's literally the coolest most emergent gameplay I've ever discovered in a game ever. Every puzzle can be done Your Way

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Books On Tape posted:

Has anyone put out a high level summary of the game's main path? Is it the same as BOTW with 4 main dungeons, and dozens of shrines? I know there's underground and sky areas, but not sure how everything comes together.

Also does it have hero's path?

Pasting from elsewhere:

Final update on main quest dungeons: There are 7 in total. 5 are this game's divine beast/traditional dungeon hybrid and 2 are in the style of BOTW's Hyrule Castle. One of which is Hyrule Castle and another that is apparently Ganondorf's Castle

Also yeah lots and lots of shrines

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Dr.D-O posted:

The tutorial loving sucks because you don't have the glider and it's very linear.

After that it's like BotW again but there's new content and the abilities are different.

If you want to play more BotW but ran out of stuff to do in the first game then get this.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Man I cannot count the number of times I've done some complicated poo poo to climb up somewhere and then been like "poo poo I could have just used Ascend couldn't I"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Costco Meatballs posted:

Can't you just lift it up with ultrahand/recall for instant flat ground gliding?

I'm becoming an ultrahand/recall evangelist it's literally the coolest most emergent gameplay I've ever discovered in a game ever. Every puzzle can be done Your Way

That's what I'm saying isn't worth the time. You need some height and momentum and the recall doesn't let you lift high enough or get enough momentum for clean takeoffs. The trick works best if you have a little fall you can start off the glide with, otherwise a lot of slightly coasting above ground and then landing. I only tried for like 15 minutes before I just walked my Korok buddy over with ultrahand, but I could not get a takeoff with just glider hand/recall.

Using fans and stuff I'm sure it could get going better, but I was just trying plain paper airplane style trying to launch as high as hand would let me with as much push as it lets you get. Still, it was fun trying and remembering to like, do the flight takeoff in reverse so you can rewind and get the air.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess they felt like since the abilities are generally more complicated, the great island needed to be slower paced and hold the player's hand more than the great plateau. Needless to say, they're wrong and it sucks

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lunar detritus posted:

I'm on the way to the Rito Dungeon and it really feels like BotW 2.0, just an improved experience all around
sucks for the people that burned out on botw

this is definitely my problem. im pretty sure i dumped around 200 hours in botw across like three years of off and on. so it almost feels nauseating to have the presentation pretty much be identical for a sequel--that and the big focus on story which is rough because the writing is lol

i'm optimistic about the depths or whatever though since caves are my bread and butter and the massive one under skyrim was pretty dope. but i see the big overworld again and play a bit and then i just shut the game off. i cant bring myself to really engage with any of it again. theyve done some things to make it "feel" different but it doesn't really, not to me

this is definitely THE sequel for people who didn't play the first game much, or at all

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

and agree the sky island tutorial loving blows

... but i do like the cave part...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Sky Island was fun y'all must be playing wrong

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The great island almost feels like a throwback to a more old school zelda philosophy where you are systematically tutorialized to death with a sequence of 50 children's puzzles. There is a little bit of choice and flexibility in it but you really have to go out of your way to not just take the intended solutions I feel like.

I'm like meh leaning slightly positive on botw overall but I do appreciate the virtues of the plateau especially a lot more now

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 4, 2023

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

A lot of the design decisions seem like they're informed by the response to what was a format breaking game in the original botw. The Great Island is more traditional because it has to both teach people who are new to it after hearing that BOTW is one of the best games ever, and this is the time to GET IN to what your social circles are experiencing together, and also, wants to bring in fans that were not as keen on the original by giving them the scaffolding they need to be propelled forward.

Being given an open ended problem is not everyone's cup of tea, similarly being tutorialized to death a la skyward sword can equally put people off. So you kinda have to ride a fine line. It's constrained in such a way as to let those who want to break out of the structure do so and start getting creative with the abilities in places, while offering a set path with gentle nudges on where to go next.

I think the Plateau rode a bit closer to the open ended find you own fun paradigm, while for some this can be a bit closer to skyward sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess I get all of that, but then you leave the intro and it's completely back to being botw open ended, make your own solutions stuff. So you've annoyed people who want it the botw way, and given a false impression to people who want it the skyward sword way. Feels like it's a half measure, unlikely to please anyone except people who are inherently pleased by zelda basically.

To be a bit positive, the visual aspect of it is nice though. The plateau is pretty generic in comparison looks wise