Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ding crank snap snap crank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

ding crank snap snap crank

yellow 5-6 animals :hai:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The big micro$oft fuckup for people like me was naming their new xbox the xbox one. Ever since then I have not been able to keep the different models apart and will be staying far far far away from that whole line of products

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1654140648512016385?t=egDdW4gIQ4kVQuOXLQ5EwQ&s=19

He's honestly completely right that the disastrous pre-launch of the Xbox One has basically tanked it as a console brand

I just remember the whole, you have xbox 360 if you don't like it, comment. Microsoft was doing damage control the following week after E3.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Xbox One was insanely stupid but Xbox Series X is somehow even stupider. I picked one up last year and in talking about it, there has never been an occasion where I mention the Xbox Series X and don't then have to explain which one is the Xbox Series X and clarify that it is in fact the current-gen console.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The years of the xbone, those halcyon days

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's funny because consoles practically do require an internet connection now, but the way they implemented it and the fact that it was actually a hard requirement was never going to play well.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think calling the 5th playstation the PS5 is lame but dammit if it doesn't get the point across

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Having dealt with multiple red rings with varying levels of support I just swore off the whole console brand. Fool me 6 times shame on me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I just remember the whole, you have xbox 360 if you don't like it, comment. Microsoft was doing damage control the following week after E3.

And you know, getting absolutely dunked on by Sony for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

Nintendo had the right of it, big long Directs that you have total media control over are the way to go.
Foot in mouth disease is synonymous with E3 for hilarities sake, but it's brand poison.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEoZbXB78NI

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Volte posted:

Xbox One was insanely stupid but Xbox Series X is somehow even stupider. I picked one up last year and in talking about it, there has never been an occasion where I mention the Xbox Series X and don't then have to explain which one is the Xbox Series X and clarify that it is in fact the current-gen console.

Nintendo names their consoles whatever. Nintendo [Name] is just how it works. Random and fun. Nan's worldwide always a fan of playing games on The Nintendo.
Sony do numerical updates. Like eventually we'll be on a Playstation 10, great. There were 9 consoles before it. Bland, but it works.

Microsoft names consoles like a drunken loving uncle at a wedding

Here you go, I shuffled the names. Super easy to decipher for non fans
Xbox One
Xbox
Xbox One S
Xbox Series X
Xbox 360
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's funny because consoles practically do require an internet connection now, but the way they implemented it and the fact that it was actually a hard requirement was never going to play well.
idk the drm on all the consoles still works like it did on the 360, the games still work offline, as long as it isn't a Fail gaas sort of game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Nintendo names their consoles whatever. Nintendo [Name] is just how it works. Random and fun. Nan's worldwide always a fan of playing games on The Nintendo.
Sony do numerical updates. Like eventually we'll be on a Playstation 10, great. There were 9 consoles before it. Bland, but it works.

Microsoft names consoles like a drunken loving uncle at a wedding

Here you go, I shuffled the names. Super easy to decipher for non fans
Xbox One
Xbox
Xbox One S
Xbox Series X
Xbox 360
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S

idk the whole Nintendo DS line also has xbox series xs stink, to me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the xbox stuff is particularly nonsense because, most of the new games still run on the old xbox one. so I'm always forgetting that my xbox one series s (which I also feel that I must clarify, I did not pay for) is more powerful than the xbox one that I slid under my bed and am always stubbing my toe on (again didn't pay for it)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

The Wii U is where Nintendo really dropped the ball. That did so badly that Nintendo's top executives took pay cuts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For one thing no one looked at a DS model and asked themselves "is this a new handheld or an add-on for the previous handheld"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Wii U wouldn't even have been that bad if not for that ultra-confusing announcement trailer where they heavily implied that it was a new controller and didn't a single time mention that it's actually a console.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

homeless snail posted:

idk the drm on all the consoles still works like it did on the 360, the games still work offline, as long as it isn't a Fail gaas sort of game

yeah but like who is even buying physical Xbox and PS5 games now, and there's even games that straight up won't run off disc

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

haveblue posted:

For one thing no one looked at a DS model and asked themselves "is this a new handheld or an add-on for the previous handheld"

I did, every day!!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah but like who is even buying physical Xbox and PS5 games now, and there's even games that straight up won't run off disc
the digital games work offline too!!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

The 3DS kind of had that problem, in that it wasn't exactly clear (to me, at the time, a non DS-haver) that it was a brand new non-DS handheld with a new library of games, but is also compatible with DS games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh yeah like the way the Xbox One initially was set up it would have to "phone home" every 24 hours or some poo poo which was deranged

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

even like, ps+ and game pass stuff, will cache your license to play them so you only need to connect to the internet when your billing period is over once a month or whatever for it to update the license

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Actually yeah that's fair. It semi makes sense, DS -> 3DS -> New 3DS -> New 3DS XL, but if you asked some random Ma&Pa shopper about it they'd probably be confused.

The S and X versions of Xboxes are meant to act like suffixes akin to race cars from a branding perspective, but I don't know why Xbox One Lite or Xbox One Pro couldn't have worked?
~Brands~

I said come in! posted:

The Wii U is where Nintendo really dropped the ball. That did so badly that Nintendo's top executives took pay cuts.

And yeah also fair.

Should been named the Wii II

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

tbf the affix "Pro" on a console is kinda funny

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Actually yeah that's fair. It semi makes sense, DS -> 3DS -> New 3DS -> New 3DS XL, but if you asked some random Ma&Pa shopper about it they'd probably be confused.

The S and X versions of Xboxes are meant to act like suffixes akin to race cars from a branding perspective, but I don't know why Xbox One Lite or Xbox One Pro couldn't have worked?
~Brands~

And yeah also fair.

Should been named the Wii II

You forgot the 2DS

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah that's right, I'm a professional gamer. thats why I get scammed into buying a half assed refresh in the middle of the generation

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Infinitum posted:

People probably just bought the 3DS on the shelf.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the PS4 Pro was kinda half-baked but the One X was actually a good update, the normal xbone really needed a refresh that thing had the wrong RAM etc.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

homeless snail posted:

yeah that's right, I'm a professional gamer. thats why I get scammed into buying a half assed refresh in the middle of the generation

Ah I see you bought yourself a Geforce x050 line card.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I legitimately don't know how the Xbox appeals to people who own a PC.

Like I get that the Xbox is a console for people who don't own a PC, as it fills in that requirement for them and that's the whole point
But like.. I own a PC, AND a Switch, AND a PS5.
They all appeal to me with games in various different ways and exclusives that they offer.

So there is definitely a market for people who own a PC and want a [Gaming Console]

But what unique thing can the Microsoft [Gaming Console] offer consumers, who can already play Xbox games on their PCs?
"It sits out in the living room" isn't a really appealing feature?

Still noone has answered, or countered this, so I think it sorta answers itself :v:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I play baseball on my xbox, op

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Infinitum posted:

Ah I see you bought yourself a Geforce x050 line card.

I see your x050 accusation, and raise buying a XX45 card!

...biggest mistake on my life. Thank god I earn money now.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Infinitum posted:

Still noone has answered, or countered this, so I think it sorta answers itself :v:

I only answer tier lists not any other kinds of lists

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The "official company line" is that they dont care where you play their games as long as you buy them so they dont care if you never buy an xbox if you buy the games on PC. I think they sell xboxes at a loss so maybe they prefer if you buy on PC? who knows

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

i buy em on Steam

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm fine with Gamepass being the way it is, don't make me buy an X-Box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have two thoughts on the console naming thing.

First: I really would've thought Xbox might've at least tried to learn from Nintendo's naming fuckup with the Wii U, but here we are.

Second: I wonder if this all started because of an ill-advised attempt to not be seen as "inferior" to the PlayStation brand. When the Xbox 360 was coming out, Sony was launching the PlayStation 3. Did Microsoft not want to be releasing the Xbox Two alongside the PlayStation Three? Like did they think that would make them appear to be a generation behind?

And clearly this didn't hurt the 360, of course, that console did great, but it sort of set them on a path to having to have "different" names every time.