Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

Yesterday and this morning he's been saying Froggy and Naked, words he learned at bath time.

It's sounds so much like he is singing "gently caress you" and the n-word. Just over and over in that toddler babble cadence. It's the best

Speech update: 26 month old toddler is able to pronounce the K sound in naked.

Unfortunately he's starting to say the names of characters on the TV. Every time he sees Big Bird he just says the n word. Explosive consonants are hard, I get it. Still, I cannot let this child out into public until we solve this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

KirbyKhan posted:

Every time he sees Big Bird he just says the n word.

a bright future in the heated world of videogames

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Kid 1 used to babble a lot and repeat sounds before he could talk and he landed on "puto" being his favorite nonsense word and I was pretty mortified at a Mexican restaurant picking up food a couple times.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

KirbyKhan posted:

Speech update: 26 month old toddler is able to pronounce the K sound in naked.

Unfortunately he's starting to say the names of characters on the TV. Every time he sees Big Bird he just says the n word. Explosive consonants are hard, I get it. Still, I cannot let this child out into public until we solve this.

Entirely inaccurate, given how many 2 year olds yell about their penis in public

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
For some sexist reason I assumed little girls were mellower and more easygoing than boys. I assumed having two daughters was going to be EZ mode. Boy was I wrong. Girls are viscious! I thought my brother and I fought and bickered a lot, but apparently sisters can be just as feisty.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife grew up in an all-female household and has worked at schools. According to her boys are better behaved than girls when solo or in pairs but worse in groups, as all toxic boy behaviors are intended to impress other boys as an aggregate group, while large girl groups are all positivity but individual girls are constantly trying to tear each other down

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

my only hope: the twins are less energetic than toddler demon the destroyer

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i love my sons imagination, we recently pulled one of those sit to stand things out of storage for our daughter (who isn't quite old enough but is getting there), he has figured out how to climb into it and he pretends it's his car. makes vrooming noises and asks us to tell him to slow down.

unfortunately since turning 3 he has gotten much more resistant to switching tasks, so bedtime has become a major test. he goes nuts when i try to get him to stop playing and brush his teeth. oh well overall he's a great kid.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
as soon as I figured out that kids hate sudden stops and starts is when bedtime got way easier.

like if my kids are doing something and I show up and say "hey it's time to get ready for bed" it's gonna be A Bad Fuckin Time.

but if I spend the hour prior to that laying out the plan and telling them when something in the near future is going to happen, they're way more receptive.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
:siren: we have quickening!
The law of Moses will now enforce stricter penalties for harming my wife!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Doctor thought our nine month old looked good but was a bit concerned with her head shape and how her skull was coming together.

Then she looks at my head in profile as I attend to our daughter and says... hmm, maybe it's actually genetic.

Yes, she gets her freakish elongated alien head from her father thank you.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Chad Sexington posted:

Doctor thought our nine month old looked good but was a bit concerned with her head shape and how her skull was coming together.

Then she looks at my head in profile as I attend to our daughter and says... hmm, maybe it's actually genetic.

lmfao

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Chad Sexington posted:

But doctor,

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Panfilo posted:

For some sexist reason I assumed little girls were mellower and more easygoing than boys. I assumed having two daughters was going to be EZ mode. Boy was I wrong. Girls are viscious! I thought my brother and I fought and bickered a lot, but apparently sisters can be just as feisty.

is there like, anything you can do for this? as an only child dad, I feel woefully unprepared to raise two daughters and have them get along. people mention all sorts of depressing personal experiences.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

honestly, siblings are going to get along, or fight constantly, or somewhere in between, or vacillate between multiple states at moment's notice

lay down ground rules, but there's no magic "make them not fight and make them like each other" button, sadly

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my two boys love each other so much it's astounding. like just light years beyond what I ever experienced with either of my siblings. I'm so jealous.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

lmao

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

brugroffil posted:

But doctor,

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

meanolmrcloud posted:

is there like, anything you can do for this? as an only child dad, I feel woefully unprepared to raise two daughters and have them get along. people mention all sorts of depressing personal experiences.

What we try to do when they are at each other's throats is to separate them if possible. So if it's Saturday morning and it's looking like they are going at each other's throats all weekend we will split them up for the day-my wife will take one with her shopping and I'll have the other with me cleaning the house or something. After not having a sibling to argue with for a few hours they tend to get lonely and will do the most over the top tearful reunions when they see each other later in the day.

It tends to be worse when they don't have anyone else to play with, when there's other kids around they tend to get along better. Age difference doesn't seem to matter much as it's just different things they'll bicker over.

But it really depends on the kids. Kids that are sensitive, needy, competitive or quick to jealousy will find more conflicts with their sibling. But kids that are empathetic and patient will be a lot better most of the time.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
We checked out some extremely libby book from the library called "democracy for dinosaurs" a couple weeks ago, and not my three year old is marching around the house shouting "no democracy for you!"(not a line from the book) at different toys.

They grow up so fast.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Wife says she's had a hard time bonding with our daughter, and says it's because she has her mom's (my mother in law) name. Says that giving her a different name would help. I'm not thrilled since we had decided on that name since years ago, and that's how I always tought of my then future daughter. She seemed to be content with just adding her sister's name, but now she says that maybe giving our daughter names from her side of the family is not working, so now every other day she starts calling her by another name, to see which one is a good fit.

Luckily, we still haven't gone to register her at city hall, so this has been kept at sitcom levels of annoyance. And I've made clear that her original name is what I'm always going to call her, no matter what, and am open to adding a second name, but keeping the original one.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nobody can control what you call the child, not even the other parent who helped you create that child. So yeah, she can't keep you from calling your daughter her grandmama's name and you can't stop her from calling her daughter Galadriel-Prime.

Get a gift certificate for a spirit medium, psychic, or tarot reader for a name discovery aura reading, it'll be fun for everyone.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
No middle name?

E: speaking of names, I have a last name (which the baby is getting, despite Mrs The Owl keeping her last name when we married) which Ellis island spelled weird so it's always mispronounced, But the name the wife and I are leaning towards has the same vowel combination so I can either make sure baby The Owl never learns to spell by giving her both spellings,or do I declare a power move against English and use the weird spelling twice?

HootTheOwl has issued a correction as of 23:55 on May 3, 2023

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I think Kirby is right here. If your wife is really hung up on it then you do what you have to do. I think it's kind of sweet that your daughter will have a name that only her father will use for her.

My wife and I have different last names and we just put them together for our children's last names. It's not TOO long, so the oldest shouldn't have too much trouble when he starts kindergarten in the fall. I'm kind of emotional about that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my older son's name often elicits a very sincere "I love that name. that's a great name." when I tell strangers. the younger one? nothing.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My kid was in daycare ONE SINGLE DAY and has puked twice since last night. I was warned we would all be sick for the first... years... but I thought I'd at least get a couple days in first.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Kal-L posted:

Wife says she's had a hard time bonding with our daughter, and says it's because she has her mom's (my mother in law) name. Says that giving her a different name would help. I'm not thrilled since we had decided on that name since years ago, and that's how I always tought of my then future daughter. She seemed to be content with just adding her sister's name, but now she says that maybe giving our daughter names from her side of the family is not working, so now every other day she starts calling her by another name, to see which one is a good fit.

Luckily, we still haven't gone to register her at city hall, so this has been kept at sitcom levels of annoyance. And I've made clear that her original name is what I'm always going to call her, no matter what, and am open to adding a second name, but keeping the original one.

Post-partum depression is a real thing. I'm not an expert or a relevant professional, but this might be more than a mere annoyance.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The inevitable happened and my older kid got the younger kid interested in Minecraft. I'd be annoyed but they are very cute playing it together.

Less cute is my younger kid talking about how a Creeper can kill you. I told them I would become the Creeper's friend but they didn't believe me.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Nocturtle posted:

The inevitable happened and my older kid got the younger kid interested in Minecraft. I'd be annoyed but they are very cute playing it together.

Less cute is my younger kid talking about how a Creeper can kill you. I told them I would become the Creeper's friend but they didn't believe me.

Minecraft is pretty benign as a single player thing. I talk to my kid while she plays it about what’s going on and such . she loves to show me her cities and farms.

a friend’s mother died and she built a huge statue in her honor in Minecraft after asking a favorite color/etc.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
i never played the game, how do i introduce my kid to minecraft? we have a PC she could play on but also a switch, but idk anything about the game

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

just get it for her on the switch.

I've never played it but my son figured it out on his own (+ asking at school). he doesn't play it online or anything and he's happy as hell.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

500 good dogs posted:

i never played the game, how do i introduce my kid to minecraft? we have a PC she could play on but also a switch, but idk anything about the game

I choose PC/mac instead of switch because I wanted my kid to practice using a mouse and keyboard.

I’d just check out whatever version and test it out. on creative mode you can just experiment moving blocks around. you play it any way you want to.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

sonatinas posted:

I choose PC/mac instead of switch because I wanted my kid to practice using a mouse and keyboard.

yeah! had same reasoning for PC bias

sonatinas posted:

I’d just check out whatever version and test it out. on creative mode you can just experiment moving blocks around. you play it any way you want to.

i dont even know what version to install, like people are talking about java version this, and microsoft store has some other version, etc..

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter is beginning to get the hang of maneuvering Yoshi in Yoshi's Woolly World but not of gaming in general. She spent about ten minutes getting repeatedly eaten by a giant fish because she liked watching it do its animation

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

500 good dogs posted:

yeah! had same reasoning for PC bias

i dont even know what version to install, like people are talking about java version this, and microsoft store has some other version, etc..

my kid is on Java version because that’s the one I bought for like $5 in 2008 and it still worked and I’m on Mac. think bedrock has more features but my kid doesn’t need to know.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think Minecraft is the only "java version" of anything still in general usage in 2023

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Seems like Minecraft runs like poo poo on Switch. Takes an attention-span-melting amount of time to load for a 5 year old.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

8yo loves to build houses and stuff but she hates those guys who "look like squidward" and will redirect the lava to burn down their villages

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Hmmm. Hunh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
clearly i have given my children too many books and too few opportunities to simulate ethnic cleansing