Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

Second: I wonder if this all started because of an ill-advised attempt to not be seen as "inferior" to the PlayStation brand. When the Xbox 360 was coming out, Sony was launching the PlayStation 3. Did Microsoft not want to be releasing the Xbox Two alongside the PlayStation Three? Like did they think that would make them appear to be a generation behind?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xbox go home

You're drunk

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
they tried to do it both ways and have an iterative name that's also kinda different which just confuses people. if you wanna do a sega and have completely different console names each generation then cool but go all the way. call it Xbox Neptune or something

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Harrow posted:

And clearly this didn't hurt the 360, of course, that console did great, but it sort of set them on a path to having to have "different" names every time.

The problem is that the different xboxen DONT have different names

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Recent history has shown you can just skip numbers if you want so they could have just called them all the Xbox (whatever number Sony's at +1).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

The problem is that the different xboxen DONT have different names

True, they treat Xbox as a brand name similar to Nintendo but even if you take "Nintendo" off of the name of their non-handheld consoles, they're still more different and don't sound iterative (except for the Wii U). Meanwhile if you take "Xbox" off of the name of their consoles you end up with... 360, One, Series? They're all descriptors, not names. Maybe 360 worked out fine for them because you can just say "the 360" the way you can say "the Switch."

So yeah they should've just had even more different names each time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Everyone knows that sex sells, so they should have named the Series X the X-Sex instead.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

stev posted:

Recent history has shown you can just skip numbers if you want so they could have just called them all the Xbox (whatever number Sony's at +1).

Cause they're stuck trying to name things after numbers or in a series. It just doesn't work.
Sony has the market cornered on Numbers

Microsoft just need to do what Nintendo does and come up with cool names.
Add Pro and Lite suffixes and away you go

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Everyone knows that sex sells, so they should have named the Series X the X-Sex instead.

They named the fifth Xbox the Sexbox

Cause it can go and get hosed :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gimme just a little bit (X-Sex), oh me oh my

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They should have stuck with Xbox Scarlet

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The AAAbox, home of Triple A Games like Microsoft Presents Arkane's Redfall.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Xbox Durango is a better name than One too

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

hatty posted:

Xbox Duwang

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

hatty posted:

they tried to do it both ways and have an iterative name that's also kinda different which just confuses people. if you wanna do a sega and have completely different console names each generation then cool but go all the way. call it Xbox Neptune or something

This is what we get in the timeline where Microsoft accepts Sega's proposal to put Dreamcast backwards compatibility in the original Xbox

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

The only thing I have felt like I'm missing out on because I don't have an XBOX is MLB The Show on game pass.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sirtommygunn posted:

They should have stuck with Xbox Scarlet

It was Xbox Scarlett :wink:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Aside from the WiiU, Nintendo's biggest misstep was the DSi.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

homeless snail posted:

still lol when I pick up my xbox one and see, the two hdmi ports on the back. feel like I must clarify that, I did not pay money for the xbox. it was a free xbox.

That reminds me of the mysteriously short lived tagline: “All in one. Input one.”

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

The only thing I have felt like I'm missing out on because I don't have an XBOX is MLB The Show on game pass.
its very good, and they should put it on PC.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I have to imagine that NES/Super NES would have drawn a similar type of Wii/Wii U ridicule if social media was around back then.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Volte posted:

I have to imagine that NES/Super NES would have drawn a similar type of Wii/Wii U ridicule if social media was around back then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzyz2TgGls

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dabir posted:

Aside from the WiiU, Nintendo's biggest misstep was the DSi.

Virtual Boy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Other M

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox X
Xbox ZX
Xbox EXE
Xbox Legends

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Virtual Boy

That was Peter Molyneux's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIbGnBQcJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUL8UDVVJSA

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Evil Kit posted:

I don't play Fortnite on principle and I kinda hope Epic continues to eat poo poo from the FTC for their incredibly lovely business and marketing practices targeted at kids and ignorant parents.

Also Apex Legends is just a better game and ignoring that I'd rather not pick up a second live service game.

That's too bad. No build is pretty good.

I can understand not wanting a 2nd MP shooter. Glad you found one you like. I do disagree on apex being better, but that is a matter of taste.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Virtual Boy

naming misstep

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Infinitum posted:

Ah I see you bought yourself a Geforce x050 line card.

I own a Series S and an ok PC ( from 2017) and I've found myself thinking, maybe a 3050 is for me...

I make Inexplicable Decisions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

External Organs posted:

I own a Series S and an ok PC ( from 2017) and I've found myself thinking, maybe a 3050 is for me...

I make Inexplicable Decisions.

Just fyi, unless deeply discounted, that card in particular is rather bad value.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Final Fantasy XVI has reportedly been banned from sale in Saudi Arabia due to refusing to censor LGBT content in the game.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/final-fantasy-16-has-been-banned-in-saudi-arabia/

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Rinkles posted:

Just fyi, unless deeply discounted, that card in particular is rather bad value.

I did figure this out quickly lol.

I've yet to ever really throw money at a Good Gaming Setup. A man of constant half measures. :sad:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

I'm fine with Gamepass being the way it is, don't make me buy an X-Box.

This wasn't a lie, Skittles the Tiger simply ate Milo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Final Fantasy XVI has reportedly been banned from sale in Saudi Arabia due to refusing to censor LGBT content in the game.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/final-fantasy-16-has-been-banned-in-saudi-arabia/

Low info at the moment but it'll be v interesting to see if it's gonna turn into a "Bethesda Middle East" situ

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
2032 Microsoft Sexbox is released

2033 the first human-xbox hybrid is born to rave reviews, 9/10 across the board.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I remember in 2017 when looking at Horizon and Breath of the Wild thinking that drat, it'd be neat to have a Fable come out around that time.

And I still think that in 2023 looking at Horizon and Tears of the Kingdom but now it's like, I want a Fable but not one that's in such danger of being butt. My biggest criteria for this hypothetical game being butt at this point would be if it has a battlepass or not. Like as long as it doesn't have a battlepass it's already an entire letter grade above what it could be.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But look at all the cosmetics you could get for only fwee gold coins

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fable (if it's not cancelled at some point) is going to have 6bajillion cosmetics, half of which will be for sale for real money, and that's because customers will want it to be that way and it's basically a core defining part of that genre now.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

mutata posted:

Fable (if it's not cancelled at some point) is going to have 6bajillion cosmetics, half of which will be for sale for real money, and that's because customers will want it to be that way and it's basically a core defining part of that genre now.

BUY THE CHICKEN CHASER SOUND PACK NOW ONLY $19.99!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mutata posted:

Because Pretty Princess Simulator is the only game that truly matters.

https://i.imgur.com/kmCylws.mp4

And I'm gonna be the prettiest