Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Jarmak posted:

:jerkbag:

Edit: who do you think James Baldwin is responding to in that quote? What idea do you think he was trying to express?

It sure as gently caress wasn't opposition to the idea that battles we lose today can make progress towards winning them in the future. It sure as gently caress wasn't that the morally superior position is to give up if we can't solve the problem today.

I think he's making a point for radicalism in a manner. I think he's pointing to doing things new instead of standing waiting on the same road to nowhere as before. The humble thought that maybe storming up the izzonzo once again is unintelligent. Also go gently caress yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only way congress can do anything is by getting 2/3rds of the senate to be non-republican.

There are 11 current republican senators up in 2024. If all of them flip, the senate will be 62-38. That's enough to pass laws but not enough to impeach.

Republican seats up in 2024: Florida, Indiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska x2, North Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming.

I'm generally preoccupied with the concept of the "point of no return" in our political stuff. Not necessarily that things can't ever be fixed after that mythical point, but it basically becomes impossible to not fix it. The American system always yields work-arounds, or different ways to tackle problems, eg: Congress passes a law, supreme court overturns, Congress passes identical law once again with a teensy tweak, etc. But sometimes, the work-arounds just kinda run out.

I'm thinking 2016 was one of those points of no return. That cemented a 6-3 majority that can just go "these new ethics laws are unconstitutional because lol". And naturally, a Congress that would actively attack a runaway court (pulling funding, repeatedly passing laws, subpoenas, investigations, etc) is... not a Congress we've had or will have anytime soon.

Guess I'm entitled to a doomer post every now and then! But, here's to hoping the Proud Boys got a guilty verdict that's about to be read!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I just want politics to be boring. I'm sick of politicians being treated like celebrities, the judiciary being a de facto legislator with permanent seats, and presidential elections being three-year long popularity contests that funnel billions of dollars into advertisers' and PAC pockets. Just, give me a nice, technocratic government with lawmakers and judges who act like civil servants and chief executives who just steer the ship of state in a nice, calm fashion.

I would also like a pony and a cheeseburger for me and my new pony friend.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I think he's making a point for radicalism in a manner. I think he's pointing to doing things new instead of standing waiting on the same road to nowhere as before. The humble thought that maybe storming up the izzonzo once again is unintelligent. Also go gently caress yourself.

Radicalism requires exploiting every angle and opportunity that presents itself and winning victories wherever possible.

Not being satisfied with the speed of progress is not the same thing as acting smugly dismissive of working towards it. Using his words out of context to achieve the latter is a loving disgrace.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
hell yeah

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1654143253309005824?t=_R0v3s1NDV7p_y8znHHZLg&s=19

FAFO, you fucks

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 4, 2023

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
you guys are loving up star wars lore chat, we have some important ground to cover jfc

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I just want politics to be boring. I'm sick of politicians being treated like celebrities, the judiciary being a de facto legislator with permanent seats, and presidential elections being three-year long popularity contests that funnel billions of dollars into advertisers' and PAC pockets. Just, give me a nice, technocratic government with lawmakers and judges who act like civil servants and chief executives who just steer the ship of state in a nice, calm fashion.

I would also like a pony and a cheeseburger for me and my new pony friend.

:same:

I realize Canada isn't perfect and is also at times dangerously on the verge of dealing with a lot of the same stupidity we've been dealing with here. But honestly, not having to deal with even a third of the stupid bullshit we have to put up in the US is making our move there look sweeter and sweeter by the day.

maffew buildings posted:

you guys are loving up star wars lore chat, we have some important ground to cover jfc

I never finished KOTOR II because I saw how unfinished it was towards the end on Xbox and I've never really tried to jump back into it because :shrug:, didn't want to deal with mods and poo poo.

Jedi Survivor is really fun though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

pantslesswithwolves posted:

this isn't going to happen when a position of significant government power gives you a meaningful degree of steering authority over one of the world's top 3 economies

people who want to be career civil servants do 30-year stints as managers of municipal water treatment plants

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Normal country. He goes completely off the deep end in the comments.

https://twitter.com/weather_katie/status/1653380484024369158

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Probably one of those fashy creeps who hates cats

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Big big man has to threaten a child with a gun. A child trying to find a god damned kitten.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cythereal posted:

ugh everyone on twitter loving sucks

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

relatable, I got tired of jehovas witnesses ringing my doorbell at 10am on Saturday so I also threatened them with murder.

Just kidding, I unplugged the doorbell and ignore anything that isn't a cop knock like a normal person.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1654142494324473856?t=4jjImknrRmkTiD6QI_5FWA&s=19

loving :lol:.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The most american president.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I hope they got paid in advance.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

I'm generally preoccupied with the concept of the "point of no return" in our political stuff. Not necessarily that things can't ever be fixed after that mythical point, but it basically becomes impossible to not fix it. The American system always yields work-arounds, or different ways to tackle problems, eg: Congress passes a law, supreme court overturns, Congress passes identical law once again with a teensy tweak, etc. But sometimes, the work-arounds just kinda run out.

I'm thinking 2016 was one of those points of no return. That cemented a 6-3 majority that can just go "these new ethics laws are unconstitutional because lol". And naturally, a Congress that would actively attack a runaway court (pulling funding, repeatedly passing laws, subpoenas, investigations, etc) is... not a Congress we've had or will have anytime soon.

Guess I'm entitled to a doomer post every now and then! But, here's to hoping the Proud Boys got a guilty verdict that's about to be read!

this isn't doomer its if anything wildly understating how bad the situation is

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

facialimpediment posted:

doomerisms are "it's over, there's no point, nothing matters"

this is a very realistic view on the stark reality of things. you recognize that poo poo's bad but you're not giving up because the sadbrain has consumed you, which is the important difference

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Just kidding, I unplugged the doorbell and ignore anything that isn't a cop knock like a normal person.

That and look out a window or peep hole before opening the door if you're that concerned. Jesus this guy has some serious judgement issues.

Also, who refers to a gun as "my 6"?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Maybe he's not referring to a pistol.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Legal recap for today:

FAFO FINAL RESULT:

Tarrio, Nordean, Biggs, Rehl:
-Guilty on 6/9 counts (nice)
-Deadlocked on 2
-Acquitted on 1

Pezzola:
-Guilty on 8/10 counts
-Deadlocked on 2

lol he almost became Florida governor then got indicted on conspiracy / wire fraud campaign finance charges FINAL RESULT:

Andrew Gillum:
Not guilty of making false statements
Deadlocked on all other counts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cythereal posted:

Well, she did find a pussy.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

facialimpediment posted:

This country survived a literal civil war and two world wars. Things definitely suck and aren't turning around quickly, but our history is actually full of incredibly bleak and difficult moments. Things can certainly get a lot worse from where we are today, but they can also get a lot better.

An important take away is that Millennials are the dominant political group at this point. Our interest and input into the political process has never been more important than it is right now. We will most likely continue to be the most influential demographic in terms of pure voting power for the foreseeable future.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Itchy_Grundle posted:

That and look out a window or peep hole before opening the door if you're that concerned. Jesus this guy has some serious judgement issues.

wins32767 posted:

Maybe he's not referring to a pistol.

He was most likely referring to a "six-shooter" revolver-style pistol.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Grip it and rip it posted:

This country survived a literal civil war and two world wars. Things definitely suck and aren't turning around quickly, but our history is actually full of incredibly bleak and difficult moments. Things can certainly get a lot worse from where we are today, but they can also get a lot better.

An important take away is that Millennials are the dominant political group at this point. Our interest and input into the political process has never been more important than it is right now. We will most likely continue to be the most influential demographic in terms of pure voting power for the foreseeable future.

I'm pretty optimistic about how things shake out once Millennials and Gen Z make up a majority of the voting population, but until then I'm terrified of the amount of damage that conservatives can do in the meantime, especially with how disproportionately powerful they are politically.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Kesper North posted:

He was most likely referring to a "six-shooter" revolver-style pistol.

Could also be calling it "my 6" as in "my backup", following the logic of "it'll have your six". I've heard of handguns and home defense weapons referred to that way.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hopefully they can get above 23% turnout.

https://circle.tufts.edu/2022-election-center

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mustang posted:

I'm pretty optimistic about how things shake out once Millennials and Gen Z make up a majority of the voting population, but until then I'm terrified of the amount of damage that conservatives can do in the meantime, especially with how disproportionately powerful they are politically.

Even once this happens there's going to be decades after that point of breaking the anti-democratic strangle hold on power these fascist fuckers are putting in place. That's if you want to view things with the utmost possible optimism and take as granted that that happens.

And then even after that it'll be more decades of cleaning up the poo poo left behind. poo poo like the justices they put in place. Judge Rapey McBeer is what, 40s? That poo poo will be kicking around the system long after we're gone.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mustang posted:

"Once the olds are gone and my generation takes over, things will be great" has been the rallying cry of every generation in history.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Deteriorata posted:

"Once the olds are gone and my generation takes over, things will be great" has been the rallying cry of every generation in history.

Yeah. 4chan is millennials, remember.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Nah, gen x was "can we let the next guys deal with it while we do hookers and blow?"

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Deteriorata posted:

So what? Society has been progressing pretty steadily since the end of the middle ages.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grip it and rip it posted:

So what? Society has been progressing pretty steadily since the end of the middle ages.

Yes and it still hosted multiple genocides and holocausts along the way. It's hard to be comforted by the "long arc of history bending towards justice" when the current justices are bending over for Nazi cash.

I agree with your optimism but I think the future "good times" are going to be outside of the USA for the upcoming generation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Life was for many people in many places worse in the Renaissance than it was for their Medieval forebears.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

That Works posted:

Yes and it still hosted multiple genocides and holocausts along the way. It's hard to be comforted by the "long arc of history bending towards justice" when the current justices are bending over for Nazi cash.

I agree with your optimism but I think the future "good times" are going to be outside of the USA for the upcoming generation.

They're openly bending over for Nazi cash - this is hardly the first time that some figure has done something that could have exerted inappropriate influence on the court. Stories like this one are exactly what's needed right now : a serious lapse in judicial ethics that eventually demand a response from congress or society at large. It would be so very easy for someone like Mr. Crowe to hide exactly where all the gifts and money were coming from, but they don't even bother, because there has never been any kind of consequence previously. Hopefully this kind of reckless behavior will spur on reform, and might accelerate the process of addressing some of the more glaring problems in our government.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Rather than continuing my a bloo blooing

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1654260037819219974

lol there's a rat at mar-a-lago

good thing there's no history of donnie being a nut about rats

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I wonder what Maggie is gonna do when Trump finally shuffles off this mortal coil

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Did she pay for the checkmark?

Well, presumably her employer, but I’m not up to date on how Elon is handing them out.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

Did she pay for the checkmark?

Well, presumably her employer, but I’m not up to date on how Elon is handing them out.

Likely part of Elon's 1M follower automatic spite-check.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1654271251198758917

At this point, those two are so tied together in everything that I truly believe that Clarence Thomas is an insurrectionist-sympathizer. And good that the "oh, the Supreme Court is squeaky-clean" sheen is getting absolutely destroyed post-Dobbs. Fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/tomiahonen/status/1654256649551466498

facialimpediment posted:

Likely part of Elon's 1M follower automatic spite-check.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1654271251198758917

At this point, those two are so tied together in everything that I truly believe that Clarence Thomas is an insurrectionist-sympathizer. And good that the "oh, the Supreme Court is squeaky-clean" sheen is getting absolutely destroyed post-Dobbs. Fuckers.

I was waiting for him to come out against interracial marriage when that was a thing a few months ago, which would've been :ironicat: on incomprehensible levels.