Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao at player 25 throwing his arms up in disgust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Entering the second half of the game, the level design is a lot more sloppy than the first half. Hovering objects are almost everywhere, or objects visible through walls. Worth noting is that none of these hovering objects are "stuck" physics objects, they were placed there by the level devs directly, the game really has no physics objects at all except for corpses.

We also hit an error where we both got disconnected with the message "UNKNOWN ERROR" and for the last five minutes any attempts to reconnect again leads to the same "UNKNOWN ERROR" message. According to Bethesda, their servers are all fine, so nothing wrong there(I have my doubts), but we'll see if it stops or whether our characters are just mystically corrupted now or whatever the gently caress is going on.

Oh, and the geometry around those stairs? Normally the bad level geometry just looks janky, but this is actually a "pothole" you can get stuck in. I had to spend a while trying to wriggle out before I was lucky able to mantle out using another object. Reproducable, too. gently caress's sake.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
watched some redfall gameplay and it looks like a game they forgot to add textures to.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was standing still in the firehouse looking at one of those boards that shows the map of the town and without moving the texture would disappear or become the low detail lod version and then go back again. Like it was loading and unloading the model or textures in real time without me doing anything.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Not sure why Bethesda does anything besides Skyrim and fallout rereleases

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Beth just published this one. Akin to Obsidian doing New Vegas under their banner, but you know, NV was a great game.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

moist turtleneck posted:

imo they should pay ropekid to make a good fallout again

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I want to joke like "now that's the Arkane I remember from release Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah" but I can't remember far back enough to know if Redfall is as janky or surpassed them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

zedprime posted:

I want to joke like "now that's the Arkane I remember from release Arx Fatalis and Dark Messiah" but I can't remember far back enough to know if Redfall is as janky or surpassed them.

Surpassed, plus at least those had a decent game under the jank, Redfall really does not, none of its mechanics come together and create interesting or challenging gameplay. Arkane apparently also had a pretty big changing of the guard between Prey and Deathloop/Redfall.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Dark Messiah was at least fun as a kicking simulator

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I didn't realize Redfall was an actual Arkane game until just now, I thought people were just making comparisons to their older games. That's unfortunate. I never got that into Deathloop compared to Prey/Dishonored, but I don't remember it being nearly as janky as this seems to be, though.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Deathloop at least got a round of patches to tighten up the experience, we can hope there's something in Redfall's future to make it a decently playable game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Redfall and Deathloop both seemed to have problems with my two monitor set up-- they only work at all if they are in full screen mode. If I do borderless or windowed, they appear in these tiny little windows so 3/4s of the screen is desktop and don't trap the cursor so turning to shoot something means I might click outside the game. When I played Deathloop before I had two monitors, that wasn't a problem.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Sounds accurate that the devs only had a 1 monitor setup

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

just play a game that is good instead of bad. sheesh

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

just play a game that is good instead of bad. sheesh

Yakuza 5

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Yes that is one of the many, many games for which the first half doesn't suck and the second half suck even more

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
EDIT: Note to self; next time refresh thread before replying

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I just really hope this isn't the end for arkane. Loved their past work.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

carrionman posted:

I just really hope this isn't the end for arkane. Loved their past work.
I don't know if this is the case for Arkane, but it might be a situation where nobody or very little people are actually left over from the days when they made games that people actually like.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Game Studio of Theseus and all that

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I don't know if this is the case for Arkane, but it might be a situation where nobody or very little people are actually left over from the days when they made games that people actually like.

Dishonored 2 and Prey aren't that old. Sure, a reasonable amount of turnover can be expected in 6-7 years, but not at replace a whole studio levels

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Both Dishonored 2 and Prey feel like absolute dogshit to play on console and they never fixed that. There’s huge control lag in both of those games.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

JUST FREAKING ENABLE KEYBOARD AND MOUSE ON CONSOLE

System Shock 2 is of of my favorite games ever, and I can't play its sequel because the controls are such rear end on console

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Germansimp posted:

Yeah, Redfall should provide this thread (and the "Dragging this game down" thread) with plenty of content. Just watching a MATN playthrough (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJqrGtUSPY), and the amount of issues is absolutely ridiculous. Among other things, the player can clip through walls, the enemy AI is ridiculously stupid, bullets can shoot through solid objects, stuff doesn't load, proportions of people can be hosed up, and lots of other issues.

Game looks janky as hell, but the guy mainly seems to complain about bizarre things like a container's water level not lowering when you shoot it or people's heads turning towards you in a weird way when you move around them? I can't even imagine caring about stuff like this, huh.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If people care about poo poo like that it means the game isn't giving them something better to think about

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dabir posted:

If people care about poo poo like that it means the game isn't giving them something better to think about

word for real

dishonored was good, i like sneaking around on roofs & in vents and stuff. but my computer is super old so i never got around to the sequel or idk what else arkane made. cheers for that game though

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Prey is very strongly recommended. 2017 was a stacked year for games but prey is one of the very best.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dabir posted:

Or it helps for the minimum time for advertisements on YouTube / helps with engagement.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Stare-Out posted:

Both Dishonored 2 and Prey feel like absolute dogshit to play on console and they never fixed that. There’s huge control lag in both of those games.

I played prey on PS4 and it’s one of my favourite games 🤷‍♀️

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Shnag posted:

I played prey on PS4 and it’s one of my favourite games 🤷‍♀️

Didn't notice any serious issues on Xbox

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Since controls can be subjective there's no point in arguing, I'll just say I'm envious of your ability to enjoy it

:cheersbird:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

alright imma check out prey tip shat

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've got 20 hours into Redfall now, and I still don't get the hate. And both Prey 2017 and Prey 2005 are fantastic.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I spent about 2 hours on Prey PS4 before giving up. It felt like the controls were designed for mouse and keyboard and controllers were an afterthought but I'm not a huge FPS guy in the first place.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1070866542897660015/1104073267091869736/what_a_thrill.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Didn't know to click for sound until I quoted the url :ocelot:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

maybe he will meet the the spaceship npc who also had an infinity ladder

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Marcade posted:

I spent about 2 hours on Prey PS4 before giving up. It felt like the controls were designed for mouse and keyboard and controllers were an afterthought but I'm not a huge FPS guy in the first place.

I do think some consideration was given to console players, which is why it's not a nightmarish hell-puzzle the way adapting, say, its predecessors System Shock to console would be, but it's definitely a KBM-first kind of game; honestly, the idea of trying to play most immsims, modern or otherwise, on console sounds pretty unpleasant. Not, like, Morrowind-on-the-xbox unpleasant, but ideally not the way you want to experience them either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ToxicFrog posted:

I do think some consideration was given to console players, which is why it's not a nightmarish hell-puzzle the way adapting, say, its predecessors System Shock to console would be, but it's definitely a KBM-first kind of game; honestly, the idea of trying to play most immsims, modern or otherwise, on console sounds pretty unpleasant. Not, like, Morrowind-on-the-xbox unpleasant, but ideally not the way you want to experience them either.

...did you just call Prey a sim?