Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I am not a lawyer, but this doesn't seem in Trump's interest. Am I wrong?

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1653572694095323136

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Trump probably wants to drag evidence out in public where he can put his own spin on it - either "look, they're charging me for nothing!" or "Look at all the crimes Cohen admits to, how can you trust his evidence against me, your favorite president??????"

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Nm

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Charlz Guybon posted:

I am not a lawyer, but this doesn't seem in Trump's interest. Am I wrong?

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1653572694095323136

He wants to bias any potential jurors in his favor in the lead up to the trial. Bonus points if he can intimidate the prosecution or potential witnesses by inciting his supporters to threaten them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

No matter what I bet he’s later going to file a motion saying the jury was tainted by the evidence going public. With a completely straight face.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
81y old Jessica Leeds also testified today about her getting groped by Trump in the 70s.

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1653495411913510942

#BoycottCnn trending today in anticipation of them giving Trump a voice next Wednesday in the Trump Town Hall.
The general talking point is that why would he go on a network he has repeatedly poo poo on and called fake if they weren't giving him full control of it to spout what he wants.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

OgNar posted:

#BoycottCnn trending today in anticipation of them giving Trump a voice next Wednesday in the Trump Town Hall.
The general talking point is that why would he go on a network he has repeatedly poo poo on and called fake if they weren't giving him full control of it to spout what he wants.

It's his way of giving the middle finger to Fox while getting an even larger platform to spew his message. Something even DeSantis is scared of doing.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

V-Men posted:

It's his way of giving the middle finger to Fox while getting an even larger platform to spew his message. Something even DeSantis is scared of doing.

I'm not sure about "larger platform." https://apnews.com/article/cnn-ratings-chris-licht-584ea2b45819d2cc416006d7bd8b77e8

quote:

Fox averaged 2.09 million viewers in prime time in March, with MSNBC at 1.14 million and CNN at 473,000, Nielsen said. In the key 25-54 age demographic for advertisers, CNN is seeing some of its lowest numbers in decades.
CNN might be trying a stunt to get ratings, but there's no direct benefit here, apart from Fox not doing a town hall from him so he's taking what he's offered.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Theres a story coming out when Trump was on his way to his Waco rally doing an interview on the Trump plane and getting angry at an NBC reporter for his questions and tossing his phones (recording the interview) away from the table. Then having the reporter removed.
Just evidence that he wont stand being asked questions that dont make him look good.

"“The journalists traveling on the plane with Trump included Vaughn Hillyard of NBC, Brian Glenn of Right Side Broadcasting Network, Sophia Cai of Axios, Rob Crilly of the Daily Mail, and Evan Vucci, a photographer with the Associated Press, according to photographs taken on board the plane and audio recordings of the gaggle.”"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/05/02/trump-manhattan-criminal-probe-reporters/
https://www.oliverexplains.com/p/the-media-hid-donald-trumps-physical
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/05/trump-2024-gaggle

"Former president Donald Trump got so irritated with an NBC reporter’s questions about a Manhattan criminal investigation that he grabbed the journalist’s phones and demanded that he be removed from an airplane interview, according to audio of the exchange obtained by The Washington Post and as first reported by Vanity Fair."

"On March 27 after his rally in Waco, Texas, multiple reports now tell us that Trump grabbed NBC reporter Vaughn Hillyard’s phone after Hillyard asked him if he was “irritated” by the ongoing criminal investigation occurring in New York."
"About 10 minutes later, as Hillyard continued to ask about the investigation, Trump snapped, grabbing the reporter’s two phones and chucking them to the side, according to a source familiar with the matter. “Get him out of here,” Trump told his aides, according to a recording obtained by Vanity Fair."
"When Hillyard presses on, Trump is heard demanding, “Let’s go, get him out of here. Outta here! Outta here!” and then asking if a phone on the table is Hillyard’s.

“Whose is this?” Trump asked.
“That one’s mine, too,” Hillyard said, referring to another phone.
In the audio, a soft thud can be heard as Trump tossed the phones to the side. The journalists were ushered away from Trump, who remained seated at the table, according to a person on the flight who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the exchange."

"They didn’t bother to report this physical altercation involving the former President of the United States and the current, leading Republican candidate for the presidency.
Even Hillyard himself gave Trump a pass. In his report on the back-and-forth aired on MSNBC, Hillyard didn’t mention any of this.
Hillyard: “Donald Trump bristled at any specifics and instead called us fake news, that we were not telling the truth.”
He didn’t indicate that Trump grabbed his phone. He didn’t play any recording of the incident, which we now know exists thanks to the Vanity Fair and Post reports."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sounds like a definitive "yes" as to whether the investigation is irritating him.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Apparently, Trump's lawyers are not going to offer a defense in his rape lawsuit. Now, I'm not a big name lawyer, but that seems like a questionable decision.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/03/politics/trump-defense-e-jean-carroll-lawsuit

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Charlz Guybon posted:

Apparently, Trump's lawyers are not going to offer a defense in his rape lawsuit. Now, I'm not a big name lawyer, but that seems like a questionable decision.

Reading the article, it sounds like whatever crazed doctor the Trump team wanted to call was so old/sick that they would likely drop dead while in the courtroom.
Presumably this witness would have testified as to how woman can't resist certain alpha males and so they'd have to have consented.
In the absence of this witness I suspect their plan B will be "you didn't prove your case to 51%, aka the balance of probability. "

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

My guess is he'll take the L and try to appeal it and just run with it as political fundraiser nonsense. "They're trying to SILENCE ME!!". Says man on the front of the newspaper. Because why would this verdict after everything he's done deter his followers or the republican party? And if an opponent brings it up he'll just muddy the waters by claiming they are guilty of similar circumstances.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It's all fake news. If you believe this verdict, you'd have to believe all the other verdicts, and that might weaken the GOP. Better to ignore the political witch hunt.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The worst that will happen to Trump for the rape trial is he has to pay some money. It's not a criminal trial so it's not like he can get thrown in jail. He doesn't care.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I just hope the lawyer could and did hammer in where Trump is/was the whole time.

If I’m sitting on the jury for any lawsuit and I find out the defendant can’t be there because they’re opening a golf course, I’d gently caress him over just for that.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Exclusive: Special counsel probing Trump Organization’s handling of Mar-a-Lago surveillance footage

quote:

Prosecutors for special counsel Jack Smith have been asking questions in recent weeks about the handling of surveillance footage from former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort after the Trump Organization received a subpoena last summer for the footage, according to multiple sources familiar with the investigation.

The handling of the footage, and how employees within the Trump Organization responded to the Justice Department’s demand for it, have prompted a new round of grand jury subpoenas to top Trump employees in the last few weeks, the sources told CNN.

Longtime Trump Organization executives Matthew Calamari Sr. and his son Matthew Calamari Jr. are expected to appear Thursday before the grand jury investigating possible mishandling of classified documents brought to Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home, sources said. Prosecutors are expected to ask them about the handling of the surveillance footage and Trump employees’ conversations following the subpoena, according to the sources.

Calamari Sr., the executive vice president and chief operating officer of the Trump Organization, has primarily overseen security operations for Trump and his properties during his decadeslong career working for Trump. His son, Calamari Jr., is director of security for the Trump Organization.

Looks like more fuel for the Obstruction of Justice bonfire.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

quote:

Matthew Calamari Sr. and his son Matthew Calamari Jr.

Did we find the coffee boys he barely knew?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Lepre Con
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1653873633024958467

e: haha

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1653872131464126465

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 4, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
We're Calamari and Calamari
ooOoooOooOoOoOoOooo
We're Calamari and Calamari!
oooOOoOoOOooooOoooo

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ayyyyyy it’s matty squids donworryaboutit.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
We've all suspected it, but more proof is always good
https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1654095557726547970

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

I just hope the lawyer could and did hammer in where Trump is/was the whole time.

If I’m sitting on the jury for any lawsuit and I find out the defendant can’t be there because they’re opening a golf course, I’d gently caress him over just for that.

The judge wouldn't like that. Defendants are free not to testify or appear, and the jury is free to make their own inferences, but plaintiff's counsel shouldn't mention it unless they wanted to get spanked by Kaplan.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Charlz Guybon posted:

No one could possibly have foreseen this.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

Biden should of eviscerated the New York office the minute he became President. They were the ones who were rumored to say they were going to the press to say there was more on Benghazi before what's his gently caress said he'd release the letter.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
More historic Seditious Conspiracy convictions:

quote:

Four members of the far-right Proud Boys have been found guilty of seditious conspiracy by a jury in Washington, DC, for their role to forcibly prevent the peaceful transfer of power from then-President Donald Trump to Joe Biden after the 2020 election.

Defendants Ethan Nordean, Joseph Biggs, Zachary Rehl, Enrique Tarrio and Dominic Pezzola face a range of charges, including three separate conspiracy charges, obstructing the Electoral College vote and tampering with evidence. 

The jury was unable to reach a verdict on the seditious conspiracy charge against Pezzola.

The verdicts are still being read in court.

During the trial, using messages and videos posted by the defendants and other members of the group, prosecutors laid out the case that the Proud Boys, animated by Trump and his election lies after the 2020 defeat, began calling for violence and revolution against the incoming Biden presidency.

Members of the group saw Biden and others on the left as a threat to the country, according to prosecutors, and messaged one another about the need for “war,” “revolution,” and firing squads for traitors.

On January 6, 2021, prosecutors said, many of the defendants didn’t attend Trump’s speech that day but instead began a march to the Capitol.

Proud Boys were at the front lines of the mob on Capitol grounds and were there when the first barriers were breached. Prosecutors have alleged that leaders of the group riled members up and communicated with them, through hand signals, to move ahead.

After rioters had arrived at Senate wing doors of the Capitol building, Pezzola used a police riot shield he stole during the attack to break open a window, prosecutors said, which rioters entered the Capitol through.

Defense attorneys have argued that their clients never had a plan to storm the Capitol and stop the electoral college vote that day. The messages and videos show nothing more than stupid, vulgar rhetoric, defense attorneys said, hardly a seditious plot against the US government.

Often teetering into disarray with legal battles, evidentiary disputes, sealed hearings, countless calls for a mistrial and several shouting matches with the judge, the trial concluded Tuesday with the final closing arguments from defense counsel and federal prosecutors.

During the trial, jurors listened to testimony from multiple officers who defended the Capitol on January 6 as well as FBI agents who investigated the Proud Boys and testimony from several Proud Boys members including two of the defendants, none of whom said there was ever a specific plan to take the Capitol.

The countless delays, brought on by newly unveiled evidence and informants, a juror who believed they were being followed, and internecine squabbles among attorneys pushed a trial originally estimated to last five to seven weeks to stretch across four months.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/04/politics/proud-boys-seditious-conspiracy-verdict/index.html

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

No word on the possible sentencing though as of now, correct?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Silly Burrito posted:

No word on the possible sentencing though as of now, correct?

Sentencing comes later. Max sentence is 20 years, but very unlikely they get close to the max.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sentencing comes later. Max sentence is 20 years, but very unlikely they get close to the max.

Why is that? All of this seems pretty goddamn aggravated

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Grip it and rip it posted:

Why is that? All of this seems pretty goddamn aggravated

Federal sentencing guidelines are going to recommend less than half the maximum sentence for something like that with limited previous criminal history. It is likely to be between 5 and 7 years.

Seditious conspiracy is so rarely prosecuted that it does make it a little hard to predict. The judge could also just ignore the guidelines.

But, if I had to put money on it, I would say it ends up around 5-7 years for that charge.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Trump saying he'll come in to confront it.
Even though its a disgrace because he's rich and famous.

https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1654151438040199169

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Comrade Trump openly acknowledging that there's a separate justice system for the rich and powerful???

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Donald Trump seeks to move NY criminal case to federal court

quote:

Donald Trump ’s lawyers have asked a federal court to take control of his New York City criminal case. They argued Thursday that the former president can’t be tried in the state court where his historic indictment was brought because the alleged conduct occurred while he was in office.

In court papers, Trump’s lawyers said the criminal case “involves important federal questions,” including alleged violations of federal election law. Federal officers, including former presidents, have the right to be tried in federal court for charges arising from “conduct performed while in office,” the lawyers argued.

Echoing Trump’s claims that his indictment is “politically motivated,” lawyer Susan Necheles urged the federal court to exert its “protective jurisdiction” and seize the case from the state courts where Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg routinely practices.

Such requests are rarely granted in criminal cases, although Trump’s request is unprecedented because he’s the first former president ever charged with a crime.

“This effort is extremely unlikely to succeed,” said Rebecca Roiphe, a professor at New York Law School. “It’s not even clear that this would be a particularly effective delay tactic.”

Moving the case could give Trump some advantages, such as a broader, more politically diverse jury pool — but the fundamentals of the case would remain largely intact.

The Manhattan district attorney’s office would still prosecute him and state law would still apply, but with the oversight of a federal judge, said University of Iowa law professor Derek Muller.

“It’s essentially just a change in courthouses,” Muller said.

Trump’s attorney, Todd Blanche, first raised the prospect of moving the case to federal court during a state court hearing Thursday where a judge indicated he’d put limits on Trump’s access to certain evidence, as prosecutors requested.

But Judge Juan Manuel Merchan said he wouldn’t issue a gag order or bar Trump from speaking publicly about the case.

Trump’s lawyers faced a Thursday deadline to file paperwork seeking to move the case — 30 days after the April 4 state court arraignment where he pleaded not guilty to 34 felony counts of falsifying business records.

A federal judge will now weigh whether to grant the request. While that plays out, the case will proceed in state court and all pretrial deadlines will remain in effect.

“It is possible to remove a state prosecution to federal court but the reasons for doing so are narrow and none seem to apply in this case,” Roiphe, a former Manhattan prosecutor, said.

Prosecutors didn’t address the request during Thursday’s hearing. A message seeking comment was left with Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s office.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Federal sentencing guidelines are going to recommend less than half the maximum sentence for something like that with limited previous criminal history. It is likely to be between 5 and 7 years.

Seditious conspiracy is so rarely prosecuted that it does make it a little hard to predict. The judge could also just ignore the guidelines.

But, if I had to put money on it, I would say it ends up around 5-7 years for that charge.

To add to this, all five PBs (including Pezzola) were also convicted of obstructing Congress, among other felonies. Conspiracy to obstruct for the first four, and Pezzola got rung up for assault too.

All of those will carry max-20, but that will play into the judge's sentence even though they'd be served concurrently. I think they'll get more than 9 but Tim Kelly might give them 12-15.

Edit: it's also not impossible that one or more of them cooperate in an investigation for a future prosecution (Roger Stone or similar), that could help knock a couple off

mdemone fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 5, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Clips are being released of Dons video deposition in the E Jean Carrol case.
He said that he was leaving Ireland and would go back and confront it, but then flew right past NY on the way to Mar a Lago this morning.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1654544896802406402
https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1654556714811703296

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Could really help his case if he turned up in person to gibber about Sexy Rape and CHINATOWN JOE. Ah well, nevertheless

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Trump is always on about fake news and being silenced by Twitter and how he's cancelled all the time and never gets to tell the truth about his side of whatever story/crime but any time he's given a chance to testify under oath and what have you, he just nopes out. He could have easily testified in the 1/6 hearings if he had anything to say.

Think of the ratings.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Why is a guy currently on trial allowed to go to a foreign country on a whim?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Because rich people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why is a guy currently on trial allowed to go to a foreign country on a whim?

It's a civil trial only. He can't go to jail on this. Worst case is he has to pay money to Carroll for calling her a liar.