Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It.. honestly isn’t even that bad? It shows a racist grappling with his visceral feelings and arriving at a conclusion that actually has some decency. I’m confused that this is the one that Fox decides to leak. There’s surely worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Zipperelli. posted:

They knew about this text message from *checks timestamp* 2 years ago, and they just now fire him over it?

Nah. Bullshit. No way.

Besides that, that message is tamer than the poo poo he used to say nightly. I don't buy it.

Does it say they knew about it for two years, or that the text is dated from that time? Because it's entirely possible management wasn't aware of this until the whole Dominion lawsuit made them go through the logs.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Vegetable posted:

It.. honestly isn’t even that bad? It shows a racist grappling with his visceral feelings and arriving at a conclusion that actually has some decency. I’m confused that this is the one that Fox decides to leak. There’s surely worse.

I'm getting the increasing feeling that Fox News really doesn't want to admit out loud they fired Tucker because he cost them 800 million dollars. Not because they genuinely think it will affect their viewership to admit it, but in a kinda "Our breakup was totally mutual" refusal to admit weakness kinda way

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

DarklyDreaming posted:

I'm getting the increasing feeling that Fox News really doesn't want to admit out loud they fired Tucker because he cost them 800 million dollars. Not because they genuinely think it will affect their viewership to admit it, but in a kinda "Our breakup was totally mutual" refusal to admit weakness kinda way

Yeah seriously, after the lawsuit it was likely just a question of when to drop the hammer on him, and anything that happened in the aftermath just sped up the process.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
They didn't fire him for the racist text, they fired him because he showed the barest glimmer of a conscience before he smothered it with a pillow. Can't have weakness like that on the network, what if it's contagious?

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
There is a dumb meme roaming about where someone's ex's parents says some trite garbage about how their kid will be sooo sorry, followed by a normal human refuting it with "that never happened." This feels reminiscent...

I'd also be curious how the UK investigations from a decade ago play into this? I mean, ole Rupes got caught hacking phones and using DEAD loving TEENAGER's phone to get scoops. While I'm not sure how that changes things in the U.S. he must be aware that there is a fine line to toe before it gets real real.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Angry_Ed posted:

Well good thing Matt Gaetz will never face consequences for his actions ever, or he'd be on death row right now.

Hannity had Matt Gaetz on his show today and I'm not 100% sure what he was referring to exactly, but he said something like "Also later, Congressman Matt Gaetz, he never gets in trouble. He's always the softest spoken person in Congress."

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Fluffs McCloud posted:

There is a dumb meme roaming about where someone's ex's parents says some trite garbage about how their kid will be sooo sorry, followed by a normal human refuting it with "that never happened."

I mean I've seen people say that in real life (not to me)

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 3, 2023

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

Surprised that "makes liberals angry" isn't higher.

I think its admitting out loud that, thats all it is is too much for some.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That feels like an intentionally leaked message. It's a perfect dogwhistle: They can say it was for the racist content but white supremacists will read it as him getting fired for losing his nerve and feeling empathy for The Other

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Tucker wasn't fired over the Dominion lawsuit. If that was the case then there are other hosts who also would have been.

He was fired for pissing off Rupert Murdoch and upper management and making GBS threads on them in company communications. They just didn't want to fire him before the lawsuit was settled because Tucker could have made the lawsuit even more painful if he had wanted.

They also didn't fire him. They cancelled his show and are paying out the rest of his exclusive contract. They're doing that because it will make it more difficult for him to launch his next bullshit thing.

If they wanted to fire him then they could have over the lawsuit from a staff member of his show. They're loving with him in a way that's very personal.

The other thing those internal communications revealed is that Tucker was not a fan of Trump.. and the entire lawsuit was about the fact that the company needs to be seen to be pro-Trump or it's bad for business. It makes a lot of sense for Fox to do what they did here.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 3, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Do we know how much longer that contract was supposed to run

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

FlamingLiberal posted:

Do we know how much longer that contract was supposed to run

He renewed in February 2021 so we probably have at least a good 9 months or so of him being locked out

But I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 4 year contract; I imagine broadcasters don't want to negotiate with talent headed into an election year

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Scholtz posted:

He renewed in February 2021 so we probably have at least a good 9 months or so of him being locked out

But I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 4 year contract; I imagine broadcasters don't want to negotiate with talent headed into an election year

Can Tucker even work at another outlet is he's still under contract with fox?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Tucker's racism and dislike of Trump aside. This dude is totally a huge loose cannon and not a team player. He's trashing Fox Nation which is supposed to be their entry away from traditional media to the modern era. He's calling their baby ugly along and burning bridges with the rest of management.

But I don't think Tucker is completely stupid? I'm sure he also has something on Fox News too. It's wild how conservative media is literally turning into a game of thrones.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This fantastically named company has offered him 100m

https://twitter.com/ValuetainmentTV/status/1653461343142330378

They have a Youtube channel but that seems to be about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is there anything in that contract stopping him from just doing his own media thing? That's what I would be wondering.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Valuetainment is the most Walgreens brand network I have ever seen.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there anything in that contract stopping him from just doing his own media thing? That's what I would be wondering.

That's hard to know, but I would bet there's a bunch of language about video content while not being so much about audio. It's possible he starts a podcast or a premium podcast on substack before he is finished with the Fox contract.

I did some googling, by the way, and it turns out Carlson sold his stake in The Daily Caller. I bet he still has a bunch of friends there, though. So he could probably always do something there.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 3, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I was also wondering what his deal was with the Daily Caller but yeah I had thought he sold his stake, probably around the time he went to Fox

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

They sound like they would make Animal World Soccer dvds for the dollar store.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ErIog posted:

Tucker wasn't fired over the Dominion lawsuit. If that was the case then there are other hosts who also would have been.

He was fired for pissing off Rupert Murdoch and upper management and making GBS threads on them in company communications. They just didn't want to fire him before the lawsuit was settled because Tucker could have made the lawsuit even more painful if he had wanted.

They also didn't fire him. They cancelled his show and are paying out the rest of his exclusive contract. They're doing that because it will make it more difficult for him to launch his next bullshit thing.

If they wanted to fire him then they could have over the lawsuit from a staff member of his show. They're loving with him in a way that's very personal.

The other thing those internal communications revealed is that Tucker was not a fan of Trump.. and the entire lawsuit was about the fact that the company needs to be seen to be pro-Trump or it's bad for business. It makes a lot of sense for Fox to do what they did here.

The Free Market has spoken

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Is Tucker's "That isn't how White Men fight" thing just a generic old racist thing, or does it have some sort of specific quote or reference? I know it is a thing that really old white people say to each other, but feels like that particular construction must have a documentable point of origin, like some lovely military figure or something.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Snacksmaniac posted:

I would have one hundred percent guessed the company that puts ads in gas pumps.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Fluffs McCloud posted:

I would have one hundred percent guessed the company that puts ads in gas pumps.

I think the cheddar news guy is actually trapped in those pumps

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Slo-Tek posted:

Is Tucker's "That isn't how White Men fight" thing just a generic old racist thing, or does it have some sort of specific quote or reference? I know it is a thing that really old white people say to each other, but feels like that particular construction must have a documentable point of origin, like some lovely military figure or something.

Nah. It's just assuming that white people are inherently moral and honorable and would never do anything like group together to beat up an unarmed, outnumbered man. Like they've done throughout history.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Vegetable posted:

It's undeniable, 100%, no dogwhistle, plausible-deniability busting, no-getting-around-it racism. Even I'm a little surprised he's that much of a true believer.

"That's not how white men fight." That's a guy who thinks being white means something, who sees other random white people whom he doesn't know and probably has nothing to do with and thinks "one of us." It may not be directly malicious, but that statement is remarkably pure in its racism.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There have been leaked candid footage of Tucker during his shows and every person on Twitter I see linking it is a chud who talks about how this just makes them like him more.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It's undeniable, 100%, no dogwhistle, plausible-deniability busting, no-getting-around-it racism. Even I'm a little surprised he's that much of a true believer.

"That's not how white men fight." That's a guy who thinks being white means something, who sees other random white people whom he doesn't know and probably has nothing to do with and thinks "one of us." It may not be directly malicious, but that statement is remarkably pure in its racism.

Yeah but this is Fox so you know the reason he was fired was for the part where he questions it.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Panfilo posted:

There have been leaked candid footage of Tucker during his shows and every person on Twitter I see linking it is a chud who talks about how this just makes them like him more.

Yeah both Charlie Kirk and Matt Walsh are on the "this just makes us love him EVEN MORE, he's RIGHT!" train, they're gonna defend him no matter what ends up coming out. They're just relieved it's someone else saying the quiet part loud first, so they can finally say it too.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Fluffs McCloud posted:

I noticed how GSTV just disappeared in my area in the last 3-4 months. Like once companies decided to tighten their belt on ad buys it just... stopped being a thing.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://twitter.com/JennaEllisEsq/status/1653931945955319809?t=rGZTAChyW--tAQS0MfFnqg&s=19

"OMG why is the leopard eating my face?" asks spokeswoman for leopard face eating party.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Slo-Tek posted:

I think its generic old racism. I heard people say it in my childhood, and that was a long drat time ago. One of them was a Naval officer, but that may be a coincidence.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/RaffyPindaHouse/status/1654041768512614400?t=5XTLc87PlBgEQ9Id_cp6tQ&s=19
They keep going after this policy. Thing is even if you take the linked article at face value, nobody really wants to improve these lunches, only blame each other for flawed policy. Conservatives will not hesitate to claim:

-Kids are fatter and lazier than ever

-School lunches are and will always be terrible

-The government can't do anything right.

But when you ask them to show you an example of an affordable, nutritious, popular and well liked school lunch policy they'll just change the subject. It's never about addressing the problem, they think Michelle Obama is an ape in a strapless gown and thus any of her ideas are going to be as ridiculous as she looks to them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/RaffyPindaHouse/status/1654041768512614400?t=5XTLc87PlBgEQ9Id_cp6tQ&s=19
They keep going after this policy. Thing is even if you take the linked article at face value, nobody really wants to improve these lunches, only blame each other for flawed policy. Conservatives will not hesitate to claim:

-Kids are fatter and lazier than ever

-School lunches are and will always be terrible

-The government can't do anything right.

But when you ask them to show you an example of an affordable, nutritious, popular and well liked school lunch policy they'll just change the subject. It's never about addressing the problem, they think Michelle Obama is an ape in a strapless gown and thus any of her ideas are going to be as ridiculous as she looks to them.
They're never interested in an actual solution.

But speaking of right-wing media, I had to click the tweet as embeds are disabled and immediately below there were two musk tweets and this piece of poo poo

Twitter always had its issues but it's incredible just how quickly he turned into an absolute cesspool.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

does the list include talented plastic surgeons?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mobby_6kl posted:

Twitter always had its issues but it's incredible just how quickly he turned into an absolute cesspool.

They were always there, they just feel bolder now.

I've seen way more people willing to be openly homophobic on social media. I don't think the phobes spiked in popularity, it's just that they think they can get away with being open about it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Jaxyon posted:

They were always there, they just feel bolder now.

I've seen way more people willing to be openly homophobic on social media. I don't think the phobes spiked in popularity, it's just that they think they can get away with being open about it.

I mean, they're not wrong in thinking that. It's kind of been a problem lately.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

On Twitter specifically, Elon removed a lot of the restrictions on posting anti-trans stuff so yes certain groups on there have been emboldened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Once conservatives have successfully gotten rid of public education, the issue of school lunches will be moot.