Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Olpainless posted:

Conversely, diamond 5-1 is the loving pits

Yeah in April I got the highest I have ever in ranked at Diamond 1 with like 2 games away from Legend but kept losing and losing and losing after that til I stalled at Diamond 5 and quit for the month. Would like to hit Legend at least once to get that cardback.

On the plus side, I did manage to hit 500 wins on Paladin so got the nice animated hero skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The main thing to keep in mind is that Hearthstone isn't competing against other digital CCGs with these changes. They're competing with the wider sea change in how generous free-to-play games need to be to keep people invested in the economy, and games like Eternal and Runeterra are a reflection of that. (And also because they're smaller competitors and need to be more generous to draw attention to them in the first place.)

The point is, the mobile market is big, if getting cards stops feeling good people will play something that does feel good instead, and the art of making in-game economies feel good has advanced a lot from Hearthstone's launch.

Well said, probably narrow for me to think of competition in terms of other card games (or even games at all) -- if I were Blizzard I'd probably be more concerned about my potential customers scrolling TikTok than playing Legends of Runeterra. It's kind of nuts how much the quantity and quality of free online entertainment has grown over the past few years.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

WarMECH posted:

Yeah in April I got the highest I have ever in ranked at Diamond 1 with like 2 games away from Legend but kept losing and losing and losing after that til I stalled at Diamond 5 and quit for the month. Would like to hit Legend at least once to get that cardback.

On the plus side, I did manage to hit 500 wins on Paladin so got the nice animated hero skin.

Yeah as well as D5 to legend being as much effort as bronze to d5 I'd say high d2 to legend is as much as D5 to high d2. Its so easy to get knocked back down and everyone at that mmr is pushing for it so there are few soft games.

I've made legend a handful of times and don't start thinking about going for it until I'm high d2. You basically need a really good deck that you are also really good at piloting to eke out the win rate the will get you there without playing hundreds of games.

Conversely though I think there are good games to be had at D5 the same as low legend although maybe not as diverse. You can make a meme deck and have some fun, although you are more likely to be facing meta decks mostly.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It is absolutely not fine to get shop pop ups every time you click on a menu item lmao.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

kater posted:

It is absolutely not fine to get shop pop ups every time you click on a menu item lmao.

As somebody who has spent at least 5 hours a day playing hearthstone since the expansion launched you are exaggerating to the most ridiculous degree.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

The Lord Bude posted:

As somebody who has spent at least 5 hours a day playing hearthstone since the expansion launched you are exaggerating to the most ridiculous degree.

I assumed a Marxist and moved on :)

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1653444245397569539

Battlegrounds patch looks to shake things up a lot! Really hard to evaluate the handbuff cards since it's never really been a thing in battlegrounds before. Mantid scam taking a big hit though!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Oof to pirates

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
See you in hell Hogger. The 6* elemental that acts like a wild card feels like it'll be a bust.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Big DH is legit. 76% WR to D5 with 9 stars, now I can finally play other decks since I have no intention of completing the legend grind having done it before.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Glad they're keeping some dual-type minions around, was worried that would just be a season gimmick

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

goferchan posted:

Glad they're keeping some dual-type minions around, was worried that would just be a season gimmick

Considering dual type minions are part of the core game now it makes sense

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

Big DH is legit. 76% WR to D5 with 9 stars, now I can finally play other decks since I have no intention of completing the legend grind having done it before.

I started playing that today and I’ve been really struggling with it. I probably just need to practice more but I’m definitely more comfortable with Tony at the moment. Big DH is just so different to the types of decks I normally play.

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
I've been really enjoying playing this Big Druid list, it can get run over by aggro if you don't get good draws but if you're still running into lots of DKs it can armor through Frost's damage and does well against Blood's board clears because of the deathrattle and refill.

It's also a deck that found a use for Colaque and Sesselie, two legendaries I opened but never used before now.

### Laerg
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Wolf
#
# 2x (0) Aquatic Form
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (1) Planted Evidence
# 2x (1) Rake
# 2x (2) Chitinous Plating
# 2x (2) Lunar Eclipse
# 2x (3) Hedge Maze
# 2x (3) Wild Growth
# 2x (4) Timber Tambourine
# 2x (5) Death Blossom Whomper
# 2x (5) Nourish
# 2x (6) Masked Reveler
# 1x (7) Colaque
# 1x (7) Drum Circle
# 1x (8) Sesselie of the Fae Court
# 1x (10) Neptulon the Tidehunter
# 2x (10) Stoneborn General
#
AAECAbPaBQSgsAS/zgSv5AT53wUNiZ8Erp8E2p8ErsAE1d0E1t4E+uIErO0Ey+0Eu5gF7qMFreEFq54GAAA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

The Lord Bude posted:

I started playing that today and I’ve been really struggling with it. I probably just need to practice more but I’m definitely more comfortable with Tony at the moment. Big DH is just so different to the types of decks I normally play.

There's a pretty comprehensive guide mentioned on the VS pod. I've definitely run into some really awkward situations that could have probably been avoided if I were more of a DH Gamer and knew how to plan for Outcast or nagas

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

That's why I have stopped playing classes that I'm not used to. Pally, Mage, DK, or 'lock and I'm in, otherwise it's too high of a hill to climb.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

When Pigs Cry posted:

There's a pretty comprehensive guide mentioned on the VS pod. I've definitely run into some really awkward situations that could have probably been avoided if I were more of a DH Gamer and knew how to plan for Outcast or nagas

It took 10 or so games to click. I'm 37-10 with the deck at D3, but went 5-5 in the first 10 games as I figured out how to play it. If a game is being drawn out, and you haven't drawn your key cards, that is fine, as long as you aren't dying. Your opponent can go from sitting at full health to dead in no time.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Firebert posted:

https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1653444245397569539

Battlegrounds patch looks to shake things up a lot! Really hard to evaluate the handbuff cards since it's never really been a thing in battlegrounds before. Mantid scam taking a big hit though!
Very happy with the introduction of Venomous (and the removal of some of the Murlocs); most tribes look good and I'm looking forward to the disappearance of Buddies again.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

When Pigs Cry posted:

Thanks for this!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Am I crazy for cutting Xhilag from Big Demon Hunter? I can count on one hand the number of times the card has actually been useful so far, but I lost count at a dozen the number of times it got summoned off my Evoker and hosed up my AHBL pool, it’s lost me a bunch of games.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Am I crazy for cutting Xhilag from Big Demon Hunter? I can count on one hand the number of times the card has actually been useful so far, but I lost count at a dozen the number of times it got summoned off my Evoker and hosed up my AHBL pool, it’s lost me a bunch of games.

Turn 5 xhilag after a raging felscreamer is a pretty nuts play, and it infuses your fell breaks loose by itself with a ~60% chance to resurrect itself if no other demons have died yet

It’s certainly more helpful in certain matchups (Paladin, implock, druid) than others (blood dk) but I don’t think cutting it is the right call

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Turn 5 xhilag after a raging felscreamer is a pretty nuts play, and it infuses your fell breaks loose by itself with a ~60% chance to resurrect itself if no other demons have died yet

It’s certainly more helpful in certain matchups (Paladin, implock, druid) than others (blood dk) but I don’t think cutting it is the right call

Agreed. I've won a bunch of games off the back of xilag tentacles and ressurecting the main minion than the other big hitters.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

beeeg DH has been really fun while climbing the lower ranks

Also, shouldn't this be "Barrel of Monkey"? :colbert:

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 4, 2023

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
:goonsay: You get three barrels so it should actually be Barrels of Monkey

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Monkey Barrels

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

excuse me the silverback patriarchs you get from them are obviously Apes

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The barrel belongs to the monkeys

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I never play Arena but have like 20 free tickets from Battlepasses et cetera, what's the current state of things and are there any good resources for drafting?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
They're actually on a barrel-shaped boat named the Barrel of Monkeys.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Boatswain posted:

I never play Arena but have like 20 free tickets from Battlepasses et cetera, what's the current state of things and are there any good resources for drafting?

You just randomly choose things, lose after 3 games to people who got way better options, take the rewards, and move on.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Alternative is to just mash through the draft and retire right away for a pack and a tiny bit of dust/gold

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

There are three classes you will see in arena, they are priest, warrior and shaman

priest will steal all your good cards and remove your poo poo until you lose

warrior will buff its hand and gain armor + play fat tempo rushers until you lose

shaman will play pack the house and schooling until you lose

any other class may as well retire early and try to get one of the big three

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think DK is still really good in arena as well

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Boatswain posted:

Yeah I was in the same situation recently, I played a dozen Arena runs just to find out how many tickets I actually had and it was an absolutely miserable experience for the reasons already mentioned. I ended up with 11 total wins across 12 runs.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

RatHat posted:

I think DK is still really good in arena as well

Can confirm as I suck at arena and still managed a 9-win run the one time I picked DK.

While I'm here, I am so sick of Astolor.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

While I'm here, I am so sick of Astolor.

absolutely agreed

good neutrals should only be printed very occasionally imo because then you see them *all the time*, and that goes double for good neutral win conditions

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It’s kinda like Dr Boom was back in the day. Such a good card that it gets thrown in just about everything

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Astolor might be the most annoying neutral as it's good at any time in the game. And if they have a way to bounce it back into their hand, it becomes even more of a problem.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Nybble posted:

Astolor might be the most annoying neutral as it's good at any time in the game. And if they have a way to bounce it back into their hand, it becomes even more of a problem.

The bounce back is what bothers me. It's like they never got rid of Brann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Nybble posted:

It's frustrating because I don't have it and it feels like I'm running the only decks in the world without it. So many good decks include it and there is literally nothing remotely comparable to replace it with.