Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Thoguh posted:

There have been multiple businesses in my mid sized city that have closed down in the last year or so with the news article about it straight up saying "Our lease was up and with the new terms it just didn't make sense to stay open". Plus a few other businesses that moved from 20+ year old storefronts to a new location across town because of rent hikes.

I have to imagine this has to hit rental prices at some point. How can you continue to run a rental empire if people stop renting in the city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

"Im weighing my options", I say, as a tiger devours my face

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
When I was working in the mall near me in the 2007ish range it cracked me up how loving immensely stupid Simon Malls is. So we were having massive construction on the side of the mall - upgrading or some poo poo. And instead of lowering rents, Simon raised them by like 25%. So mall traffic is down because no one wants to deal with a life construction zone and parking is limited so all the stores are making less money and Simon Malls truly expected all the little small businesses and carts to come up with cash. I worked for 2 different small businesses at the time - not anchors - just some like itty bitty clothing store and then a specialty kitchen goods store.

Both of the small businesses I worked for were driven out with in like 2 years and i honestly dont think anything ever refilled the spaces and now the whole mall is being torn down and it was replaced as the new kraken ice practice arena. lmao. lol.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

hmm thats a lot of money for a bank i've never loving heard of to have

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Morbus posted:

"Im weighing my options", I say, as a tiger devours my face

weighing my stock options and somehow theyre reversing gravity

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

anime was right posted:

if theyre closing because of "crime" and its not unionization, its absolutely because the space is too expensive (insurance and/or rent) and they just want to jerk off cops and not look like failures

also who the gently caress is going to union square to shop at marshalls

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Speaking of jerking off cops, the new Chik Fil A [*hated foe] gave out the free Chik Fil A for a year vouchers, not to people coming in the first day, but to police officers and firemen and random high school students (probably ball throwers). My partner was pissed, I told her it was just their way of paying off the local gang for protection.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Raccooon posted:

Yeah Starbucks did this in my area to stores that had no crime in the area and had tons of customers every day

hmm, same here... im seeing a pattern :thunk:

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

buy the fuckin dip

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Raccooon posted:

I have to imagine this has to hit rental prices at some point. How can you continue to run a rental empire if people stop renting in the city?

The city will pay the landlords if that program in san francisco is any indication

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Raccooon posted:

all of these companies are leveraged to poo poo, rent can never go down because that affects building valuations and brings the entire house of cards down.

Foobie
Dec 14, 2022
Simon is ridiculous, a teen got shot and killed in the mall I used to work at and the whole mall got locked down because they thought it was a mass shooting but they never closed and were open the next day. They told the managers that “this violence will not stop us”. People got ptsd because they thought they were going to get killed and had to come in to work the next day.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Still lolling that Yellen was directly asked after SVB if this would destroy regional banks and she acted like a doddering old person that could barely speak.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

zetamind2000 posted:

The city will pay the landlords if that program in san francisco is any indication

Such is life in Constitutional Oligarchy with Market Characteristics

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Raccooon posted:

Still lolling that Yellen was directly asked after SVB if this would destroy regional banks and she acted like a doddering old person that could barely speak.

Acted?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

all of these companies are leveraged to poo poo, rent can never go down because that affects building valuations and brings the entire house of cards down.

This just sounds like a delaying action of the inevitable.

Apr 7, 2003

Raccooon posted:

congratulations, you are smarter than most people working in commercial real estate management

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Raccooon posted:

You get the government and whoever is left to force everyone back to the office for no reason other than to support this rental empire. Source: Gov. Hochul and Mayor Adams

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

skooma512 posted:

You get the government and whoever is left to force everyone back to the office for no reason other than to support this rental empire. Source: Gov. Hochul and Mayor Adams

theres actually another reason: commercial real estate fuels an enormous amount of city funding. so the cops wont have money anymore.

(they will just steal from everything else and pay cops anyway)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I imagine that there are some individual landlords or investment firms that are in a position where they just take a hit on the building valuation without it bringing down their entire operation that they'll be the first to blink and start lowering rents. And once they do that then that's when the insanely leveraged operations will start crumbling.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

yeah, its better for those firms to leave the rents at that level, or even raise them, on completely vacant buildings than ever dropping rents

e: you can borrow against the valuation and if you fall behind the creditors will seize the building and you (the person behind the desk) are safely behind limited liability and drew your salary for however many more years than you would have if you tanked the company immediately

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Thoguh posted:

I imagine that there are some individual landlords or investment firms that are in a position where they just take a hit on the building valuation without it bringing down their entire operation that they'll be the first to blink and start lowering rents. And once they do that then that's when the insanely leveraged operations will start crumbling.

trhis is why they burned all the buildings to the ground in the 70s instead

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

lol yeah they just had not thought out that far even though that being the next thing to happen was the most obvious thing imaginable. Just like Biden didn't intend to kickstart de-dollarization by cutting Russia off from SWIFT it just did not occur to anyone in charge that was would be the immediate outcome.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

anime was right posted:

theres actually another reason: commercial real estate fuels an enormous amount of city funding. so the cops wont have money anymore.

(they will just steal from everything else and pay cops anyway)

They pay taxes? That's just unAmerican

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

atelier morgan posted:

yeah, its better for those firms to leave the rents at that level, or even raise them, on completely vacant buildings than ever dropping rents

Completely vacant building's valuation based on a rental price that no one will pay lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Thoguh posted:

Like what the downtowns of countless small towns in rural places look like but writ large.

Yeah, hope you like empty storefronts

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
NFT rear end economy.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Thoguh posted:

lol yeah they just had not thought out that far even though that being the next thing to happen was the most obvious thing imaginable. Just like Biden didn't intend to kickstart de-dollarization by cutting Russia off from SWIFT it just did not occur to anyone in charge that was would be the immediate outcome.

Has this started to happen? Like with the recent story of a downtown SF building being sold at like $60 million when it was around $300 million pre-covid

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

silicone thrills posted:

Both of the small businesses I worked for were driven out with in like 2 years and i honestly dont think anything ever refilled the spaces and now the whole mall is being torn down and it was replaced as the new kraken ice practice arena. lmao. lol.

swapped one useless waste of space for another

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

congratulations, you are smarter than most people working in commercial real estate management

I'm sure they know, but their paycheck depends on delaying the inevitable as long as possible.

Apr 7, 2003

Raccooon posted:

Has this started to happen? Like with the recent story of a downtown SF building being sold at like $60 million when it was around $300 million pre-covid

But it never sold for $300m. It was "valued" at $300m.

https://sfstandard.com/business/san-franciscos-famed-california-street-is-selling-at-a-deep-discount/

The $300m value was never real, they're doing the Magic card thing but with real estate

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

RealityWarCriminal posted:

swapped one useless waste of space for another

The kitchen goods store was actually kind of useful because it was that niche for people who wanted to do more cooking/baking/making neat stuff but not quite need to hit the restaurant store. Taught me a poo poo ton about cooking as a dumbass 19 year old. Also instead of pizza parties for staff morale we got knife parties where wustof would come in and give us free knives and pans. Still using them to this day. lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

there will eventually be a time when an occupied building generates more money than an empty one but I'm not sure we're there yet. an empty building is like an unrealized loss that you never want to realize.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Raccooon posted:

ohhhhh you better believe that's a Thread Title

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

But it never sold for $300m. It was "valued" at $300m.

https://sfstandard.com/business/san-franciscos-famed-california-street-is-selling-at-a-deep-discount/

The $300m value was never real, they're doing the Magic card thing but with real estate

That makes sense.

Also, looks like SF is getting hit harder on this than other cities.

https://www.businessinsider.com/san...0The%20Journal.

"The building's expected decline in value reflects the current crisis facing the real-estate industry across the US, and remote work's heavy impact on San Francisco's office buildings, in particular. Almost 30% of the city's office spaces are available to lease, according to a report from CBRE, a commercial real-estate-services firm. That's five times higher than it was before the pandemic, and almost twice as high as the amount of vacancies across the country. Over a quarter of San Francisco's office space is empty as well, according to CBRE."

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

giles correy voice: "more... basis points...."

I LOVE THIS PLAN IM EXCITED TO BE A PART OF IT!1!1!:shepface:

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 19:42 on May 4, 2023

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

I'm a simple American. When I see a bank fail I just nod sagely and go "good."

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

JamesKPolk posted:

giles correy voice: "more... basis points...."

No stopping until 10% interest rates

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

skooma512 posted:

Landlords in general are just parasitic drag on the whole economy. Business mostly rent their spaces and then they have to keep up with the rentier's demands for more money for absolutely no value-add, meaning they pass those costs on and go out of business because folks don't want to or can't pay the higher prices.

triple net commercial leases really broke my brain

zetamind2000 posted:

Seattle is about to start doing the same thing to try to reactivate downtown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

cities generally don't have strong taxation powers, but are feeling the inflation and interest rates crunch just like everyone. one of the few ways they have to increase funds is by increasing the valuations of properties in the city.

:thunk: