Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

i would like to put hte controversy to bed and reiterate one more time that i do in fact have dessert power

May thy cream whip and lather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

YUH, YUH, YUMMMMMMMMMMM

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
YA HYA CHOwDer

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
*dreams of jihad*

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
sorry i hosed that up, should have been

Pleasant dreams!(of jihad)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Whisk without rhythm.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
lmao, cant believe denis convinced them to use "MAY THY KNIFE CHIP AND SHATTER!!!" as the hero phrase

also appears to be 200% more actual dunes in 2ne

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I still play this sometimes and it rules, the music is so so good :allears:
I haven't played it in quite a while, but whenever I replay it, I'm gonna be playing the OpenRA mod.

Prolonged Panorama posted:

some slight 24 > 25 fps artifacts aside, this 4k version looks legit, if it's an upscale it's a really good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uZrupnX_iQ

I wonder if the surrounded fremen with the birds is part of Hawat's capture scene/flashback - Stephen McKinley Henderson is listed at the end. Hopefully the arena scene will have the multiple layers of plots like the novel version.
I really wish Secrets of Dune wouldn't do this, because there's simply no way to accomplish upscaling on video or images without interpolation - and interpolation never works, because it's basically just the computer guessing based on the pixels around it.
It always produces artifacts, and they're always easy to spot.

Tree Bucket posted:

It sounds a lot like the harmonica theme from Once Upon a Time in the Old West.
Do you mean L'uomo dell'armonica? I can kind of hear the similarity, but The Ecstasy of Gold is closer in the vocal phrasing.

What's even closer to it, weirdly, is the music that Kenji Kawai composed for Ghost In The Shell, particularly a track called "Making Of Cyborg" - which can be heard as track 67
That track is heavily inspired by taito drumming and Hungarian chanting, so I'm wondering if Hans Simmer had something similar in mind.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I’ve got the fuckin yaaaaallllllllllllaaaaaaaaa sound stuck in my head like a mentat meditation phrase

Obligatory yaaaalllllaaaaaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-rmbM0VB_I

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Aaaaa aaaa this looks incredible.

Mister Speaker posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that bit in the soundtrack sounds a tiny bit like "hava nagila" (the words, not the melody obviously)?

I think they got Lisa Gerrard for the soundtrack again (the woman from Dead Can Dance) and this is kind of her style of thing. It sounds like her.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That video has completely ruined the soundtrack for me. When I was watching the new trailer the first thing that popped into my head when I heard it was "Muad-Dib! The Prophesy!"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

euphronius posted:

Huh

He should look like Paul (spoilers )

I think it's just that they both have lovely eyes and a lovely body

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

the what now

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I really wish Secrets of Dune wouldn't do this, because there's simply no way to accomplish upscaling on video or images without interpolation - and interpolation never works, because it's basically just the computer guessing based on the pixels around it.

I dislike upscales in general for this reason, but in this case it does look like a higher quality image source. There' substantially more detail and the artifacts I can spot are temporal ones, from a 24 to 25 fps conversion (because Europe, I think), mostly on the text animations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1654136480460075010

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

it looks good

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe too much Zendaya ???

Maybe not

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

may the fourth be with you thy knife chip and shatter

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
https://twitter.com/HELLLLHOOOOLE/status/1653817652048191488?s=20

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

euphronius posted:

Maybe too much Zendaya ???

Maybe not

I don't care how much Zendaya compared to whether they'll make 90% of her appearance in the form of Dove commercials like part 1 (which shouldn't be the case now that the Fremen have found them).

Too little Jessica, too little Thufir (though by the book, he gets what, two scenes and a flashback?)

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Always
Be
Constructing a shrine to your father's skull

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Once Thufir is captured I think it's mostly just the Baron talking about how he's using him and he only really shows up again at the very very end. We know that he's attempting to conspire against the Harkonnens and I believe rigging that one arena match and the assassination attempt on the Baron was his idea, but I don't recall him actually being present or having dialogue. Guess I should reread the book.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This will be the first movie I see after avatar 2

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Once Thufir is captured I think it's mostly just the Baron talking about how he's using him and he only really shows up again at the very very end. We know that he's attempting to conspire against the Harkonnens and I believe rigging that one arena match and the assassination attempt on the Baron was his idea, but I don't recall him actually being present or having dialogue. Guess I should reread the book.

There’s a long conversation somewhere with Thufir and the Baron where Thufir basically walks him through the whole Fremen situation and makes the Baron realize how hosed he is and how he’s unintentionally given the emperor a bunch of signals that he’s plotting to turn Arrakis into the next Salusa Secundus and take over the galaxy. It’s all kind of for the reader’s benefit but it’s a funny scene just because of how flustered the Baron gets

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thufir can come back to give a little exposition as a treat but yeah he's barely in the material left to adapt. I feel like even his role in the ending is like half a page tops. My question is what gurney is supposed to do when you've cut the subplot where he thinks jessica is a traitor. Just be there as a military guy I guess

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

We don't know that they have cut him suspecting Jessica... not having forseen that is the catalyst for Paul taking the Water of Life, so maybe it stays in.

If not, he still gets to say "you young pup!" and will likely duel Rabban.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Yeah there's no way they're not giving Bautista a fight scene and Rabban just gets killed randomly in the book so why not?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I actually just reread the arena fight chapter during lunch - it is very good. What I really want to see now is a Harkonnen fete. That's gotta be wild and extremely hosed up. Fenring even says he'd like to see it although he's almost certainly bullshitting.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Marvel style post-credits scene Duncan's ghola wakes up like

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

kiimo posted:

Marvel style post-credits scene Duncan's ghola wakes up like

They should do this. But model it on the Always Sunny bit where an oiled up Danny De Vito crawls out of a leather couch

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Will Ferrell 40 year old man birth

it was HOT in there!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

jason momoa crawling out of a vatussy when???

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

~6.4kb/s for VP9 isn't exactly astonishing levels of bitrate either, but it's a lot better than an upscale.

Still not sure what this is:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

you see these slots

put your hand inside the slots

these slots only cut off animal fingers

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Looks like a security system, I'd guess it unlocks the door to a sietch or other Fremen place. Or maybe Gurney's smuggler base.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
It's probably the door to Kynes' reservoir.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You put your hand in and it sucks out 10% of your moisture, the price of entrance. It's like a tithe

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they don't have to follow the book exactly. they can give us some more Stephen McKinley Henderson, as a treat.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

That woman in the chainmail could have also been the reverend mother, although she's supposed to be elderly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mulaney Power Move posted:

That woman in the chainmail could have also been the reverend mother, although she's supposed to be elderly

That's irulan.