Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Khorne posted:

he believes tech has made the world worse

yes, and?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you can solve the problem that americans pay 5 times the price for rail per km and like 10 times the price for subways per km than koreans you can have nice rail and subways in the usa

otherwise, no. pouring in more money will help but at literally 1/5, 1/10th the rate

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the woz video is good, bring on the guillotines :guillotine:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its less than a hundred billion total, about, so the answers no, not with the dog poo poo value for money american public transit gets. korean prices, maybe

it would definitely help to not have the red herring of "self-driving cars are right around the corner, google has never lied to us" which i am sure has affected pubtrans planning and funding across the globe

not to mention the knock on effects of more people being able to exist without maintaining a car and all the jobs for building and maintaining the transportation system

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

if you can solve the problem that americans pay 5 times the price for rail per km and like 10 times the price for subways per km than koreans you can have nice rail and subways in the usa

otherwise, no. pouring in more money will help but at literally 1/5, 1/10th the rate

isn't the american problem more like needing to cover sprawling areas where you pretty much plop down more bus routes and more buses because the density for subway or light rail just does not exist

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
manhattan has comparable density to lots of seoul and their prices are hosed. same w downtown sf

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

4lokos basilisk posted:

isn't the american problem more like needing to cover sprawling areas where you pretty much plop down more bus routes and more buses because the density for subway or light rail just does not exist

also general racism/classism against the IDEA of riding a bus

riding a bicycle on a road? that means you got your license suspended cause youre a drunk, or a hippie that should be crushed by my f150

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

anyway i think the government should be able to solve the price per rail km and the name of the solution is eminent domain

this of course is not what is happening since collectively we are still convinced that some magical technological solution will unfuck our congestion and pollution issues so nobody really needs to adapt to a different lifestyle

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if the subway was nice richer peeps would take it. it isnt nice because all the poo poo, the trains, the stations, are decrepit and old. they are decrepit and old because they are multiple times more expensive than what the east asians get

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ok, sorry to anyone i upset: i am 100% for sure an idiot so don't take too much notice of anything.

to try to clarify the point I keep trying to make irl: the current ai garbage is garbage. it is not going to bring about an utopia, but it does do some things. it is absolutely draining me how it gets used as an explanation of how things are falling apart (absolute nonsense, the things really can't achieve poo poo) and how there's random sci-fi speculation of what it'll do (any of it *could* be true, but it could have been true in 1996 to the same degree).

and entirely personally i do hate some old sv rich guy going on about this kind of thing. id as soon listen to musk going on about ai moratoriums as woz. but that's me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i used to take the 5A bus to work, that line had the same passenger throughput as copenhagen airport, something like 5 million passengers a year

(its now called 5C and is one of them accordions and i take the metro but i assume its about teh same still)

buses own

but tbh the metro is way better

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we're not saying there is evil inside the chatgpt, we're saying there is evil in a bunch of cto's decisions (that are being made every day) to fire their support staff and let chatgpt answer tickets, until we have a ReCkOniNg in three years and they hire everybody back at 60% pay.

here's the rest of all of our lives: you will pay more and get less. thats it. thats all we have to look forward to. we're just raging against the dying of the light, but you're getting your hackles up over the wrong thing.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

we're just raging against the dying of the light

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lack of trains is largely an issue of corruption and mismanagement. Nobody with the capability of doing those kinds of large scale projects can make it in the american bureaucracy.

Share Bear posted:

riding a bicycle on a road? that means you got your license suspended cause youre a drunk, or a hippie that should be crushed by my f150

bicycles arent viable transportation for people who need to get to work or shop for groceries for their families or whatever else. they're toys for playing around and people should not ride their toys in the street where the actual vehicles are

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

god i remember in high school in the late 90s called myself a techo-utopian. made a clay head for an exhibition that was half human and half robotic. so cringe.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

to try to clarify the point I keep trying to make irl: the current ai garbage is garbage. it is not going to bring about an utopia, but it does do some things.

yes, we all know this. in fact, instead of bringing about any utopias it will in fact lead us the opposite direction via more and more concentration of wealth and power and more oppression. I dont think there's anyone reading this forum that doesnt agree with this to at least some extent, which it why its nice to hear woz calling for the execution of the people working on it.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ok, sorry to anyone i upset: i am 100% for sure an idiot so don't take too much notice of anything.

to try to clarify the point I keep trying to make irl: the current ai garbage is garbage. it is not going to bring about an utopia, but it does do some things. it is absolutely draining me how it gets used as an explanation of how things are falling apart (absolute nonsense, the things really can't achieve poo poo) and how there's random sci-fi speculation of what it'll do (any of it *could* be true, but it could have been true in 1996 to the same degree).

and entirely personally i do hate some old sv rich guy going on about this kind of thing. id as soon listen to musk going on about ai moratoriums as woz. but that's me.

it does not matter if the ai garbage is garbage or utopia - it will still be pushed on the general public as yet another great technological achievement just like self-driving cars and gig work platforms. the externalities will be worsening of the signal-noise ratio of information on the internet and everywhere else this stuff is deployed in, and it will make the work of anyone in any kind of customer support communication role even worse

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

lack of trains is largely an issue of corruption and mismanagement. Nobody with the capability of doing those kinds of large scale projects can make it in the american bureaucracy.

east asia: famous haven of lack of corruption

eh, no. corruption is in the nature of human beings. all the east asian railways got built despite insane corruption

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rotor posted:

yes, we all know this. in fact, instead of bringing about any utopias it will in fact lead us the opposite direction via more and more concentration of wealth and power and more oppression. I dont think there's anyone reading this forum that doesnt agree with this to at least some extent, which it why its nice to hear woz calling for the execution of the people working on it.

so, wait, before or after we execute woz?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Woz is right.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
CoRrUptIon is just another term for shortening the feedback loop on basically any sort of western-style democracy

companies dont do mandatory anti corruption trainings because they don't want contractors to get bribes
they do it because they don't want you to receive the bribe

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wait, ai "does some things"? disagree.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

if the subway was nice richer peeps would take it. it isnt nice because all the poo poo, the trains, the stations, are decrepit and old. they are decrepit and old because they are multiple times more expensive than what the east asians get

plenty of rich people take the subway though. not rich rich but bottom of the 1% rich sure. class avoidance is more of an issue for buses (and much of that is imo down to the buses being bad, if they were able to provide consistently better service I think you’d see wealthier people using them a lot)

everything you said about price disease is true ofc

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

bicycles arent viable transportation for people who need to get to work or shop for groceries for their families or whatever else. they're toys for playing around and people should not ride their toys in the street where the actual vehicles are

find a new gimmick

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cf the stories about how companies freak out when somebody subcontracts their devops job to a guy in india and pockets half of it

they don't pay you to get the job done
they pay you so that you are scared of them not paying you

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait, ai "does some things"? disagree.

i appreciate this comeback a lot

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Share Bear posted:

find a new gimmick

hasnt he been doing this since bush was president

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Share Bear posted:

find a new gimmick

oh sorry i thought we were making jokes cause you recommended bicycles as transportation

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

4lokos basilisk posted:

density exists in select places but there's no will from city governments to invest in real infrastructure, let alone just infrastructure maintenance, in said areas.

the suburban sprawl is its own issue but funding for that can come from the state which makes it more palatable for some

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Shaggar posted:

oh sorry i thought we were making jokes cause you recommended bicycles as transportation

gently caress lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

hasnt he been doing this since bush was president
He's probably been doing it since the late 19th century and is envisioning penny farthings when he talks about bikes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if seoul subways magically cost as much as manhattan subways the seoul subway would go to poo poo basically as fast and in the same way

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

eh, let's do a better apology: spent too much of my day arguing ethics with phd students (who were way more wrong than anyone here) and was in a bad mood. yospos being yospos do enjoy any brand of anti-technology you prefer.

personally not going to start liking woz, but as far as vibes go i was in the wrong.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i appreciate this comeback a lot

:tipshat:

eh, let's do a better apology: spent too much of my day arguing ethics with phd students (who were way more wrong than anyone here) and was in a bad mood. yospos being yospos do enjoy any brand of anti-technology you prefer.

personally not going to start liking woz, but as far as vibes go i was in the wrong.

nah youre right woz is a weirdo (cf wife/car keys) but imo in general calling for the guillotine is right and proper

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hes a weirdo from organic brain damage from the plane crash

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

the bicycle remains the fastest form of transport in a dense city up to a radius of 8km. i.e. if your destination is closer than 8km, it is comparable or faster to bike instead of taking public transport or driving a car. from my personal experience this theory holds both in tokyo and paris

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

4lokos basilisk posted:

the bicycle remains the fastest form of transport in a dense city up to a radius of 8km. i.e. if your destination is closer than 8km, it is comparable or faster to bike instead of taking public transport or driving a car. from my personal experience this theory holds both in tokyo and paris

hell yea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXw_t172BKY

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
as much as i simp for motorcycles, if you're wearing the proper gear they're actually super time consuming. the only way southeast asia runs is on 125 bikes where nobody's wearing any protective gear. the answer is separated bicycle infrastructure where people can ride at 5-15mph with a simple helmet at most

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a convincing breakdown on why subways in America were so comparatively expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
me neither, unfortunately. but thats why we cant have nice subways in america basically