Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

AmiYumi posted:

Isn’t that the one 4chan loved for being “Rum, Sodomy, & the Lash - But Mostly the Sodomy, Good Lord That’s A lot of Sodomy”?

The 4chan story was classic 4chan taking it to another level, but yeah it's a short game about a scummy pirate crew standing around right after the pirate captain was poisoned, and playing out how they all fall on one another trying to come out on top while going about other pirate business. It can escalate pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Wasn't it a game run at a convention? If it's the Poison'd story I'm thinking of, that one got pretty infamous

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

theironjef posted:

Eh, I already argued with someone else that battlebabe being weird isn't a good enough excuse to explain away why the person they slept with feels nothing about it as far as I'm concerned, I don't want to do it again. Like I said before, it feels like lovely design, and basically too glib. Sort of like that Show playbook sounds. Funny though!

Purely because you've mentioned you don't have a lot of experience with AW, I want to unpack this a little more. Most of the special moves / sex moves mention Hx. Hx is a stat that tracks how well one character knows another. Each PC has an Hx score with every other PC, and they aren't symmetrical. A can know B inside and out, while B has no idea what makes A tick. Hx isn't emotional. You can love someone, hate someone, or be absolutely indifferent to them, and any given Hx score would still make sense.

The very first sex move, that of the Angel, just says that if you have sex with someone, your Hx with them goes to maximum, and their Hx with you goes up. You know each other better. It doesn't say how you feel about it. Some of the other playbooks have other aspects, like the Brainer or Savvyhead getting to do weird stuff to anyone they have sex with, and that makes sense because they're Weird playbooks. The Gunlugger gets a nice simple +1 forward because, hey, you're a violent bastard, and someone actually did something nice with you, and you feel good about it. The Battlebabe nullifies all of those because they never let their guard down. They didn't do something nice for you, you didn't get to observe them in a vulnerable moment, you didn't learn anything important. So what if you saw them naked? There's a reason the Battlebabe can choose a move that makes them heavily armored when nude.

Nothing in that tells the PC how to feel about what happened with the Battlebabe. Are you happy with meaningless sex? Disappointed? Angry? Convinced that if you do it again, that time it would be different? That's up to the player.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
AW does not just emulate post-apocalyptic fiction, which is fine, since God forbid RPGs do more than slavishly imitate other media.

That said, the archetypal Battlebabes are Snake Plissken (Escape from New York) and Trash (1990: The Bronx Warriors).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Battlebabe is The Little Guy in that Japanese Mafia bit from The Simpsons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ebcsowtrU0

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
coming in hot saying that post apocalypse movies don't have sex in them and then revealing that you haven't watched very many and haven't read the book means you have terminal posters brain

also i feel like this is just relitigating the same conversation about Blue Beard's Bride, wherein some people are going why would anybody want to play and ignoring the people who want to play this

i'm burnt on post apocalypse games because everyone i've played is just "Fallout but only the Bethesda parts" which is a crime punishable by death

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm post post-apocalypse.

No, seriously: Legacy: Life Among the Ruins rules. Also enjoying Horizon: Forbidden West.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Ominous Jazz posted:

coming in hot saying that post apocalypse movies don't have sex in them and then revealing that you haven't watched very many and haven't read the book means you have terminal posters brain

I feel it's more that I can't remember very many post-apocalypse movies where you couldn't have completely removed the sex and it would have minimal to no effect on what was going on, but then again this is really most stories.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Don't go around showing people your Bethesda parts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The love interest/excuse for boobs is found in most films. It's just a sign of where your story falls on the classy/trashy axis.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

CitizenKeen posted:

No, seriously: Legacy: Life Among the Ruins rules. Also enjoying Horizon: Forbidden West.

“Post-post-apocalypse” was exactly on the back cover of Fragged Empire.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Another thing that strikes me as weird about PBTA is that the focus on collaborative storytelling. I'd rather just have one GM with a single goal making up a story that people react to than four or so people trying to cowrite a story in the span of three-four hours. Too many cooks spoil the broth and all that.

Anyway, I wish more games did downward spirals as good as Delta Green does them. Its weird how reliant a lot of other games that attempt to show that (like older Call of Cthulhu and Vampire the Masquerade editions) always focus on solely personal effects from a decline in one's empathy or mental health, but Delta Green understands that it hits so much harder if the Agent's family and friends are alienated from them long before they lose their own mind. While it is fun to have a bit of wish fulfillment, I'd love more games like this where the point is that you're going to lose and be hosed over.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It’s still bait, folks.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Kestral posted:

It’s still bait, folks.

No I assure you that Delta Green is a very good game

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Whirling posted:

Another thing that strikes me as weird about PBTA is that the focus on collaborative storytelling. I'd rather just have one GM with a single goal making up a story that people react to than four or so people trying to cowrite a story in the span of three-four hours. Too many cooks spoil the broth and all that.

Anyway, I wish more games did downward spirals as good as Delta Green does them. Its weird how reliant a lot of other games that attempt to show that (like older Call of Cthulhu and Vampire the Masquerade editions) always focus on solely personal effects from a decline in one's empathy or mental health, but Delta Green understands that it hits so much harder if the Agent's family and friends are alienated from them long before they lose their own mind. While it is fun to have a bit of wish fulfillment, I'd love more games like this where the point is that you're going to lose and be hosed over.

That is a matter of taste, I run and play PbtA games almost exclusively because I love that the players have a greater agency on the storyline than the average RPG system. Allowing my players to make sweeping assumptions about the world isn't just engaging for them, it's exciting for me as a game master that I get bunches of free content I get to improvise off of.

I also love RPGs that conceptually end only in failure, I wish there was more stuff like that. I've never played it but doing a real, in-person candlelit Ten Candles session is a dream of mine. Dragging the PCs through the mud and breaking their backs can be so enjoyable, especially if the players are really on board.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Whirling posted:

No I assure you that Delta Green is a very good game

Kestral is referring to how you just backhandedly declared collaborative storytelling "bad." Perhaps it's not for you, that's fine, but you've been making statements in this thread lately that several posters view as basically trolling, and while I'm loathe to hit people with probations for making good-faith statements of their own opinions - however disagreeable those opinions might be - you're kind of making it difficult to ignore.

Could you stop tossing grenades, please.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Leperflesh posted:

Alternatively, please escalate your grenades to this level*:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGWrnjSu8pQ

*This is not legal posting advice

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Youremother posted:

That is a matter of taste, I run and play PbtA games almost exclusively because I love that the players have a greater agency on the storyline than the average RPG system. Allowing my players to make sweeping assumptions about the world isn't just engaging for them, it's exciting for me as a game master that I get bunches of free content I get to improvise off of.

I also love RPGs that conceptually end only in failure, I wish there was more stuff like that. I've never played it but doing a real, in-person candlelit Ten Candles session is a dream of mine. Dragging the PCs through the mud and breaking their backs can be so enjoyable, especially if the players are really on board.

Oh yeah, totally. To me, there is fun to be had in giving up a lot of control to a different person and seeing what their brain hatches up; its like a little window into their head and that's what is cool about the traditional DM-player split in my opinion.

I think my dream RPG is to have something that does survival horror very well. I haven't really encountered anything in that genre in the tabletop scene. Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green come somewhat close, but I dunno, you can always get very well-equipped in either of those games and then the only thing that can really stop the players from going all out is the invocation of a greater star beast that can just blink their soul away with one of their numerous eyes.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Leperflesh posted:

Sure. I gotta stop being so hostile, I post like such a loving rear end in a top hat all the time, so thank you for the warning to shape up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Whirling posted:

Oh yeah, totally. To me, there is fun to be had in giving up a lot of control to a different person and seeing what their brain hatches up; its like a little window into their head and that's what is cool about the traditional DM-player split in my opinion.

I think my dream RPG is to have something that does survival horror very well. I haven't really encountered anything in that genre in the tabletop scene. Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green come somewhat close, but I dunno, you can always get very well-equipped in either of those games and then the only thing that can really stop the players from going all out is the invocation of a greater star beast that can just blink their soul away with one of their numerous eyes.

I've hosed around with Torchbearer's chassis for survival horror and that seemed promising.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Technically a lot of Final Fantasy is also post-post-apocalypse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probably most D&D fantasy is post-post-apoc.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

D&D only makes sense if you view it as post-post-apoc, an extremely powerful and advanced empire suddenly and violently collapsing is the only thing that really makes sense why there would be dungeons with powerful magical artifacts everywhere that just so happen to be infested with goblins

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've hosed around with Torchbearer's chassis for survival horror and that seemed promising.

Could work, I skimmed through Torchbearer and it does have one of the critical elements for survival horror, which is trying to limit one's inventory as much as possible.

Youremother posted:

D&D only makes sense if you view it as post-post-apoc, an extremely powerful and advanced empire suddenly and violently collapsing is the only thing that really makes sense why there would be dungeons with powerful magical artifacts everywhere that just so happen to be infested with goblins

This is why Points of Light was a cool setting.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Points of Light got a bad rap, I really liked the simplification of the cosmological stuff, Planescape loving rocks but it adds in so much complications on top of the regular D&D stuff it turns into a completely different game. Planescape/Spelljammer are held down by being D&D properties

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

I'm glad I scrolled down, because my pointer was halfway to the button already.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

do not piss off chris the ninja pirate

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CitizenKeen posted:

Not to mention Adventure Time and a surprisingly large portion of the Mecha genre

Youremother posted:

Off the top of my head that's basically explicitly part of most official D&D settings anyways

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

do not piss off chris the ninja pirate
Holy poo poo, someone besides me recognized this random flash animation character from the late 90's.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

How could anybody not recognize the classical pie-based stylings of Weebl and Bob

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I thought everyone knew about weebl and bob really

i still get the looping song in my head from time to time, you know the one, at the beginning of most of the sketches

e. also just to age myself, when I was an toddler I had actual weebles. Like the original toys. Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.

dang apparently they made them for decades, I thought this was strictly a 1970s thing

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 4, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

I'm a Fragged player at heart

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Youremother posted:

How could anybody not recognize the classical pie-based stylings of Weebl and Bob
This is SomethingAwful, I suppose. Who here didn't grow up knowing about lions in Kenya and the Hamsterdance?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Leperflesh posted:

I thought everyone knew about weebl and bob really

i still get the looping song in my head from time to time, you know the one, at the beginning of most of the sketches

e. also just to age myself, when I was an toddler I had actual weebles. Like the original toys. Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.

dang apparently they made them for decades, I thought this was strictly a 1970s thing

They actually had to change the name to Wobbl and Bob for a DVD release because otherwise it would be too close to the toy. Fun fact for the day.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Fragged Empire is space opera. Post-post-apocalypse is just marketing. Come at me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

This is SomethingAwful, I suppose. Who here didn't grow up knowing about lions in Kenya and the Hamsterdance?

"grew up" lol no, but can you believe it? forget norway (main export: tree)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Fragged Empire is space opera. Post-post-apocalypse is just marketing. Come at me.

all apocalypse-adjacency is just marketing if you think about it, no matter how many posts we stick on

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

All settings are pre-apocalypse if you're thinking on a big enough time scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Youremother posted:

All settings are pre-apocalypse if you're thinking on a big enough time scale

The inverse is kind of my point: all space operas have an apocalypse somewhere in their background. Once you get into space, you've left "post-post-apocalypse" and are squarely in "space opera".

But I tire of the "everything sucks" motif of post-apoc. I prefer "we survived, now: we rebuild".