Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
gwen...doesn't really need continuity at all. she just needs the audience to understand the concept of comic paneling

i would love to see her in live action but i don't know that she'd go over too well so soon after she-hulk tbh. people seemed really divided on that finale and normies might not be ready for someone to be that much fourth wall as their whole gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gwenpool would work best as like a 5 minute joke in a Deadpool movie, or maybe a joke stinger or something

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jamesman posted:

I think Samara Weaving could be a good Gwenpool. She's a very fun person to watch (everyone should check out Ready of Not because it's so loving great) and deserves a character that just lets her cut loose and be a silly goose.

Ready or Not rules, definitely a recommend if anyone hasn’t seen it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

the Silver Surfer shouting "NO, DON'T DO EET, EET'S TOO SEXY" before he consumes earth.

Also, please just dress Antonio Banderas as Galactus.

"BUT I MUST! FOR I HUNGER!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ready or Not rules, definitely a recommend if anyone hasn’t seen it.

*fades in for a split second to give a respectful nod*

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Maec Anthony as Silver Surfer

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Gwenpool could be kind of fun if you make her a big MCU fangirl, kind of like Kamala, but she knows stuff from outside the movies.

Which reminds me of a question I don't remember if I asked. In the Ms Marvel show, Kamala has her room absolutely decked out in Captain Marvel merch. Sure, there appear to be a few homemade drawing and sketches, but the rest appears to be "officially licensed" and mass produced stuff. So who within the MCU is producing those items? Coulson had the Captain America trading cards in the first Avengers movie, and those didn't look homemade. Would they have been produced by the US army at the time, since Cap was a wholly owned creation of the DOD.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

CzarChasm posted:

Gwenpool could be kind of fun if you make her a big MCU fangirl, kind of like Kamala, but she knows stuff from outside the movies.

Which reminds me of a question I don't remember if I asked. In the Ms Marvel show, Kamala has her room absolutely decked out in Captain Marvel merch. Sure, there appear to be a few homemade drawing and sketches, but the rest appears to be "officially licensed" and mass produced stuff. So who within the MCU is producing those items? Coulson had the Captain America trading cards in the first Avengers movie, and those didn't look homemade. Would they have been produced by the US army at the time, since Cap was a wholly owned creation of the DOD.

Marvel comics exists within marvel comics and makes officially licensed merch for heroes in-universe* so I assume the MCU has a In-universe Marvel as well. Either that or Stark Industries probably handles it for anyone Avengers related.

*comic book Cap used to be an artist on his own comic.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hawkeye(?) has the guy with the closet full of bootleg Avengers merch

That was Hawkeye, right?
Did I make this scene up?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Sockser posted:

Hawkeye(?) has the guy with the closet full of bootleg Avengers merch

That was Hawkeye, right?
Did I make this scene up?

She-Hulk.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I can see Stark having merchandising rights in order to help fund Avengers.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'd kind of want them to go extra meta with Gwenpool and have the comics character make the jump to the MCU. Have her getting frustrated because she keeps forgetting what they changed in the movie adaptations.

CzarChasm posted:

My head-cannon is that Justin Hammer's company snapped up the creative rights to as many super heroes as possible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

CzarChasm posted:

I think it's a big risk if there's She-Hulk and Deadpool and then a derivative of Deadpool all getting meta about the MCU and breaking the 4th wall. As if the MCU isn't meant to be taken seriously anymore.

It's fine in the comics because at any given time there are many comics published concurrently so the zanier elements represent only a fraction of what's going on but for the MCU each new show or movie tends to stand alone as the current chapter of the overall MCU saga and I don't think it'd be good to have more chapters more often doing lampshading bits.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Yeah, Pug had the collection of superhero kicks

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The only acceptable way to do Gwen in the MCU if she is played by an actual real life megafan called Gwen Poole. No substitutes.

:colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Coulson had the Captain America trading cards in the first Avengers movie, and those didn't look homemade. Would they have been produced by the US army at the time, since Cap was a wholly owned creation of the DOD.

Totally. I mean remember, he was a propaganda machine even before he started doing actual heroic things.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

I think it's a big risk if there's She-Hulk and Deadpool and then a derivative of Deadpool all getting meta about the MCU and breaking the 4th wall. As if the MCU isn't meant to be taken seriously anymore.

It's fine in the comics because at any given time there are many comics published concurrently so the zanier elements represent only a fraction of what's going on but for the MCU each new show or movie tends to stand alone as the current chapter of the overall MCU saga and I don't think it'd be good to have more chapters more often doing lampshading bits.

they already took care of that a long time ago because not only are her powers nothing like Deadpool, she doesn't even like Deadpool or his style of humor. she's only a derivative in the most literal sense

glitchwraith posted:

I'd kind of want them to go extra meta with Gwenpool and have the comics character make the jump to the MCU. Have her getting frustrated because she keeps forgetting what they changed in the movie adaptations.

site fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 4, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The DOD was only created in 1949.

Cap's a product of the much more aggressive sounding War Department.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

they already took care of that a long time ago because not only are her powers nothing like Deadpool, she doesn't even like Deadpool or his style of humor. she's only a derivative in the most literal sense

Her name and costume and schtick are going to make her seem like She-Deadpool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Get Blake Lively to play Gwenpool. Nobody is better equipped to deal with a Ryan Reynold Deadpool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

Her name and costume and schtick are going to make her seem like She-Deadpool.

yeah again she's nothing like Deadpool and it takes 2 whole sentences to explain away the difference i think at this point audiences would get it. like you're saying her schtick makes her like she Deadpool have you actually read Gwenpool

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's really surprising how well she made out as a character, considering she came from both the terrible Deadpool and Gwen Stacy oversaturation.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

yeah again she's nothing like Deadpool and it takes 2 whole sentences to explain away the difference i think at this point audiences would get it. like you're saying her schtick makes her like she Deadpool have you actually read Gwenpool

We're getting away from the reason I mentioned her. Yes, I know she is not some Wanda Wilson-level palette swap of Deadpool. She is different in many to nearly all meaningful ways! But a lot of what makes Gwenpool stand out is being meta, like She-Hulk and Deadpool. And my issue is not with Gwenpool by herself but with the combined effect of having all three of them in the MCU.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The suggestions that Gwenpool should be super meta feels like it's missing the nuances to her character.

The main thing about Gwen is that she's a real person who gets teleported into a fictional world and she starts out as this goober who thinks she can do anything to anyone without consequence because hey, these are just fictional characters. But as she spends in the Marvel world and its characters, she comes to the realization that just because she thinks these people's lives are fictional doesn't mean that they don't have agency or strong feelings about their life experiences. It's realizing that if she's going to live in 616 then she better embrace being one of the people living in it. It's just very sincere and heartfelt.

Granted, even Marvel writers seem to struggle with this part of her. There's been more misses than hits when it comes to how she's handled.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

She-Hulk, Deadpool, and Gwenpool all cameoing in a new Spider-Man movie, doing the pointing meme, criticizing themselves for the meme, and then never appearing on screen together again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aphrodite posted:

It's really surprising how well she made out as a character, considering she came from both the terrible Deadpool and Gwen Stacy oversaturation.

Although she only has two really good stories. The first being her, well, first and the most recent where she comes out as aro ace. (Thompson did okay in WCA, I guess.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

We're getting away from the reason I mentioned her. Yes, I know she is not some Wanda Wilson-level palette swap of Deadpool. She is different in many to nearly all meaningful ways! But a lot of what makes Gwenpool stand out is being meta, like She-Hulk and Deadpool. And my issue is not with Gwenpool by herself but with the combined effect of having all three of them in the MCU.

Gwen is meta is in a way separate from she hulk and Deadpool, who have more in common with each other than with Gwen tbh, and like, there's 5 different heros who shoot laser blasts and no one is worried about people not getting that they're different characters

" i am from a universe where y'all are comic book characters. the designer guy from she hulk made me a Deadpool costume because he thought my real name was me making a Deadpool joke. (cut to funny scene) i have reality manipulation powers" there, solved

site fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 4, 2023

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

glitchwraith posted:

She-Hulk, Deadpool, and Gwenpool all cameoing in a new Spider-Man movie, doing the pointing meme, criticizing themselves for the meme, and then never appearing on screen together again.

Hear me out.

Deadpool and friends get transported into the MCU. They have no legal recognition of their existence, and different countries are trying to pass them off on one another before starting to look into various options like just killing them or launching them into space.

So She-Hulk season 2 should be about Jennifer working on their cases to be legally recognized as citizens of earth and/or the US and allowed to live in this universe. This also provides openings for Strange, America, and Wong to all appear and talk about the Multiverse and Incursions and poo poo.

And most importantly, this also means we can get more Madisynn and Wongers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

Gwen is meta is in a way separate from she hulk and Deadpool, who have more in common with each other than with Gwen tbh, and like, there's 5 different heros who shoot laser blasts and no one is worried about people not getting that they're different characters

" i am from a universe where y'all are comic book characters. the designer guy from she hulk made me a Deadpool costume because he thought my real name was me making a Deadpool joke. (cut to funny scene) i have reality manipulation powers" there, solved

We just had two Hawkeyes, we're about to have three Marvels, I don't even know how many characters are using Pym Particles these days. That's not my issue. I am just talking specifically about the effect of multiple shows & movies that go meta and/or break the 4th wall. Pretend I'm talking about Slapstick or Howard the Duck or someone and not Gwenpool.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

site posted:

I like Gwenpool better, but her popping out of the comic book is pretty similar to She-Hulk walking through the Disney+ screen. Although I think she stopped doing that?

Someday, we will have earned our story about a nice, dramatic hero who cuts through the plot bullshit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lobok posted:

We just had two Hawkeyes, we're about to have three Marvels, I don't even know how many characters are using Pym Particles these days. That's not my issue. I am just talking specifically about the effect of multiple shows & movies that go meta and/or break the 4th wall. Pretend I'm talking about Slapstick or Howard the Duck or someone and not Gwenpool.

i don't really comprehend that contention when we we're talking about a single 9 episode TV season, 3 dp movies if we're counting the pre MCU stuff, and a theoretical supporting character somewhere else. in a field of over what will be 50 movies and TV shows by the end of the current slate. she hulk doesn't even have a second season lined up. how are 3 characters ruining the seriousness of the entire franchise.

as an aside howard has existed in the mcu since guardians 1 and he should show up more imo

StumblyWumbly posted:

I like Gwenpool better, but her popping out of the comic book is pretty similar to She-Hulk walking through the Disney+ screen. Although I think she stopped doing that?

this was my original worry at the beginning of this convo, although not because it's gwen's power is similar but because viewers seemed divided on whether they liked the show being that level of meta. people seem to be okay with dp and jennifer talking to the camera but they weren't used to that kinda stuff yet

site fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 4, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

i don't really comprehend that contention when we we're talking about a single 9 episode TV season, 3 dp movies if we're counting the pre MCU stuff, and a theoretical supporting character somewhere else. in a field of over what will be 50 movies and TV shows by the end of the current slate. she hulk doesn't even have a second season lined up. how are 3 characters ruining the seriousness of the entire franchise.

The whole conversation is hypothetical, yes. Likely moot because as you said we might not even ever get a S2 of She-Hulk. I'm just assuming that if each character started/continued to get projects greenlit then split up among them it's not far-fetched for there to be at least one every year.

As for ruining the seriousness of the MCU, doesn't Marvel already have that problem? I'm just talking about exacerbating it, not creating it. We already have plenty of people who believe every dramatic moment is undermined with gags or that if you don't die a hero you live long enough to see yourself become the comic relief. It was maddening seeing so much online outrage over seeing a lighter side of DD on She-Hulk.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Now I’m curious if anyone’s ever read a comic book in an MCU movie/show. I haven’t seen most of the D+ series.

I think it would be hilarious for a massive, 15-year-plus multimedia franchise based on comic books to never actually depict a comic book on-screen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Didn’t Kamala read comics in her show?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Splint Chesthair posted:

Now I’m curious if anyone’s ever read a comic book in an MCU movie/show. I haven’t seen most of the D+ series.

I think it would be hilarious for a massive, 15-year-plus multimedia franchise based on comic books to never actually depict a comic book on-screen.

Captain America comics are in canon as a part of the WW2 propaganda machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtSrWn7eYbU&t=126s

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

TwoPair posted:

Captain America comics are in canon as a part of the WW2 propaganda machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtSrWn7eYbU&t=126s

Aha, all right then.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Someone is gonna copyright “Captain Marvel” and sell action figures of her. That’s the way it works in our world so it makes sense it works the same there. If Carol doesn’t do it some other company will and there will be tons of knockoffs and unlicensed poo poo. And it’s easy enough to handwave that Tony and Pepper recognized this so Stark Industries has a standing system for copyrighting new Avengers and working with them to transfer the license of it’s someone like AntMan who seems into self promoting or managing it and sharing the profits with someone like Carol who probably doesn’t even have a great sense of what any of this means.

That was even a plot of a She Hulk episode, no? Titania went and copyrighted “She Hulk” and Jennifer had to sue?

Edit: or trademark. It’s probably trademark.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 4, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Splint Chesthair posted:

i can't remember them reading any but she-hulk's law office briefly shows their room with a bunch of marvel comics

Lobok posted:

As for ruining the seriousness of the MCU, doesn't Marvel already have that problem? I'm just talking about exacerbating it, not creating it. We already have plenty of people who believe every dramatic moment is undermined with gags or that if you don't die a hero you live long enough to see yourself become the comic relief. It was maddening seeing so much online outrage over seeing a lighter side of DD on She-Hulk.

i would say that marvel that's it's not a problem but a pendulum swing. that first phase of movies was full of self deprecating humor lampshading how ridiculous everything was. they were having fun. guardians went even further by making talking trees and raccooons main cast membersand people ate it up. it was only around the time of winter soldier that the franchise took a turn into being serious. now that the thanos saga is over it feels like marvel is allowing some stuff to swing back the other way. opening itself up to different genres isn't exacerbating anything except maybe angry shitheads on reddit and who gives a gently caress about them

site fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 4, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Mescal rumors are funny because he specifically said he's not interested in the MCU because he doesn't have the patience for it, though obviously he's not made of stone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On the other hand we’ve seen that same song and dance a bunch of times about casting rumors right up until a formal announcement. And being the star of a potential billion dollar franchise does tend to increase patience in some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

On the other hand we’ve seen that same song and dance a bunch of times about casting rumors right up until a formal announcement. And being the star of a potential billion dollar franchise does tend to increase patience in some.

Who has publicly said they're not interested in joining the MCU and then signed a long contract?