Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CzarChasm posted:

Is that a typo, or isn't that kind of a high STR for a Warlock?

When I was making my PC my DM remarked that no one else had an STR above 10 (DEX, WIS, and INT-based classes), so I put my points in there so someone had a decent score. Think the "I'm wiry" kicker from The Replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Your DM is going to have an evil tome that turns out to be the pommel of an evil sword in disguise

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Even better, it's a tome you can pull out swords from, a different sword per page.
Turns out he found a cursed weapons catalogue.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cooked Auto posted:

Even better, it's a tome you can pull out swords from, a different sword per page.

As long as he doesn't immediately start ranting about how he's going to become the Wizard King.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

the_steve posted:

As long as he doesn't immediately start ranting about how he's going to become the Wizard King.
I'm both glad and depressed I'm not the only one who had this thought.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 5, 2023

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Is that a typo, or isn't that kind of a high STR for a Warlock?

It's weak for an rear end-Warlock

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Cooked Auto posted:

Worse: they'll all be incredibly lovely blades, in a variety of kitschy, "commemorative", and novelty designs. Some of them will have political slogans on the sides that should really be kept out of polite company.

It'll be a cursed BudK catalog.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cassius Belli posted:

Worse: they'll all be incredibly lovely blades, in a variety of kitschy, "commemorative", and novelty designs. Some of them will have political slogans on the sides that should really be kept out of polite company.

It'll be a cursed BudK catalog.

The thought struck me, but felt it was almost too cursed.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A Deck of Many Pommels?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

CobiWann posted:

A Deck of Many Pommels?

You'd also need a Deck of Many Hilts, a Deck of Many Blades, and a Deck of Many Sentient Curses

Crossguards are on a subscription model

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Have the DM roll on tables to fill in the blanks every time you summon a new cursed sword

Gnarl the Elf Ripper is a broadsword with a bejewelled hilt and a lead pommel. It is cursed with a sentient curse of lethargy (-2 to movement) and occasionally bursts into flames.

Pox the Hell Chunker is a rapier with a dripping hilt and a rubber pommel. It is cursed with Summon Dire Wasp (1d6 on hit, summon wasp on 5+, wasp attacks random target within 1d6 spaces) and hates dogs.

etc etc

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

MelvinBison posted:

I'm both glad and depressed someone else had this thought.
At least he didn't pull out a cursed 'sword' that made him a Wizzard.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Lord Awkward posted:

Have the DM roll on tables to fill in the blanks every time you summon a new cursed sword

Gnarl the Elf Ripper is a broadsword with a bejewelled hilt and a lead pommel. It is cursed with a sentient curse of lethargy (-2 to movement) and occasionally bursts into flames.

Pox the Hell Chunker is a rapier with a dripping hilt and a rubber pommel. It is cursed with Summon Dire Wasp (1d6 on hit, summon wasp on 5+, wasp attacks random target within 1d6 spaces) and hates dogs.

etc etc

Placing a series of triggerable illusions around key spots in the major cities of Tanicus so whenever someone gets close they see and hear

"COME ON DOWN TO VIKTOR'S SENTIENT SWORD EMPORIUM, THE WIDEST SELECTION OF CURSED AND SENTIENT SWORDS THIS SIDE OF THE FEYWILD! WE GOT GREATSWORDS, WE GOT SHORTSWORDS, WE GOT EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN!

FOLKS, THESE CURSES ARE DRIVING ME TO A DEEP AND UNHINGED MADNESS THROUGH KNOWLEDGE MORTAL MEN WERE NEVER MEANT TO KNOW, BECAUSE I'M OFFERING DISCOUNTS MORTAL MEN WERE NEVER MEANT TO HAVE!"

For UK folks, I'm picturing the kind of energy of those tv ads you used to get with the manic man in a bad wizard outfit who clearly hadn't slept in a little while shouting at you about window frames in a featureless blue void

e: This guy! Not even pretending to be a wizard, I think he just dresses like that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3A1TT3kwIY

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Seems like the UK version of Matthew Lesko aka the guy with the question mark suit yelling about free money

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

You'd also need a Deck of Many Hilts, a Deck of Many Blades, and a Deck of Many Sentient Curses

Crossguards are on a subscription model

So it’s the evil sword equivalent of Richard Simmons’ Deal-A-Meal?

You know… you rarely see sentient maxes or sentient crossbows. I think, based on the post involving a sword of wasps, this could be a thing. An Artificer has several decks of cards that lets them summon a sentient weapon for 24 hours…

Hasbro - “We can print more decks of cards?!? Steal Ichabod Sexbeast’s idea immediately!”

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 5, 2023

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

"COME ON DOWN TO VIKTOR'S SENTIENT SWORD EMPORIUM, THE WIDEST SELECTION OF CURSED AND SENTIENT SWORDS THIS SIDE OF THE FEYWILD! WE GOT GREATSWORDS, WE GOT SHORTSWORDS, WE GOT EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN!

FOLKS, THESE CURSES ARE DRIVING ME TO A DEEP AND UNHINGED MADNESS THROUGH KNOWLEDGE MORTAL MEN WERE NEVER MEANT TO KNOW, BECAUSE I'M OFFERING DISCOUNTS MORTAL MEN WERE NEVER MEANT TO HAVE!"

Take my gold :golfclap:

"How cursed could a sword this cheap really be, anyway?"

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

CobiWann posted:

So it’s the evil sword equivalent of Richard Simmons’ Deal-A-Meal?

You know… you rarely see sentient maxes or sentient crossbows. I think, based on the post involving a sword of wasps, this could be a thing. An Artificer has several decks of cards that lets them summon a sentient weapon for 24 hours…

Hasbro - “We can print more decks of cards?!? Steal Ichabod Sexbeast’s idea immediately!”

PatentpendingPATENTPENDING

e:

Lord Awkward posted:

"How cursed could a sword this cheap really be, anyway?"

It turns out the real curse was planned obsolescence and sweatshops

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Robindaybird posted:

Seems like the UK version of Matthew Lesko aka the guy with the question mark suit yelling about free money

Someone showed me some clips of him (from the UK and had never heard of him until a few years ago). Pretty clear that he was using that free money to buy... stimulants.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The chest wasn’t a mimic.

The sign that said “this chest isn’t a mimic” turned out to be the mimic.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
That’s what our DM did to us last week; the chest with gems wasn’t the mimic, the box the chest rested upon was the mimic

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

CobiWann posted:

The sign that said “this chest isn’t a mimic” turned out to be the mimic.

"There are exactly three mimics ahead," the guard who only tells lies volunteers cheerfully.

"There are mimics ahead and I don't know where," the guard who always speaks true adds sympathetically.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
According to my DM, my Warlock patron has a mug that says, “No Communing Before Coffee.

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Our crew has been declared Immune to Hauntings, and are currently being studied by local academics because the three of us are immune to mental trauma on account of being the three biggest bimbos on the planet sharing a single brain cell. So the ghosts have nothing to grab onto because we react with enthusiastic glee to all the cronenberg poltergeist stuff they pull.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Golden Bee posted:

Moonlight Madness!

Junkie’s Rainbow
On the shores of paradise, they find their own twisted bliss!

Players make the story. Especially if all week your players are going to include a private investigator, reporter, and a well-connected local… and none of them show up.

But I think I’ll explain the mystery first.

Gloomy November, Honolulu, 1935.

CPO Alan Krope makes a deal, unwittingly, with a Japanese spy, Ito Takagi. Sell some excess morphine from the naval hospital and get super rich.

Of course, the rest of the navy hears about this, and although some are punished by excessive rotations, they learn to take advantage. Kropke’s younger brother Byron uses his time defending the leper colony of Molokai to strike a deal. Hooch and skin mags for the lepers, they use some of that beautiful island to grow drugs, which are shipped back on Navy boats.

Of course, flooding Honolulu with drugs is unsustainable…

Back to our heroes.
Lord Simon and Connie Johnson, best pitcher in the Negro league, are arguing at poolside. The lifeguard is taking some time off…
Trying to bust down Florence Zee’s door.
The lifeguard’s sister Gertrude is in bed with the Aussie songstress.

SPLASH!
A dopesick tourist stumbles into the pool. Connie jumps in and Lord Simon throws them a life preserver.

Meanwhile,
Being a gentlewoman, Florence tries to sneak out the window… and loses her footing, stumbling onto a palm tree and sliding into the pool.
SPLASH!

Now, despite a lack of investigatory talent, the players leverage their skills to start solving the mystery. A few mishaps occur:

*Miss Johnson accidentally earns the affection of a navy drug dealer.

*Lord Simon discovers his old mentor, who had abandoned him years ago, is staying in the same hotel.

*Florence keeps running into her latest beau’s psycho sister, since they are technically coworkers.

*The group borrows a boat to investigate Molokai, only to have it shot to pieces. (They realized too late that none of them had any boating experience.)

*Lord Simon’s mentor steals “The Eye of Pele” from the hotel and replaces it with a glass replica… Minutes before Devika buys it for Simon as a gift.

———
The group discerns Takagi is a spy who likely has a submarine. (This is conveyed by a drug-fueled rant from CPO Kropke. Lord Simon plays dumb, half legitimately, to uncover new details.)
That means they need help from the secretary of the navy. They built up a good relationship, and to secure a favor, they have to do is let him score a base hit off of Connie.

… and she strikes him out in front of the entire Pacific command.

Florence appeals to the military police, our heroes infiltrates the drug ring (who were smuggling through with the lava tubes), and try and catch the bad guy…
But he escapes to his motorboat. The MPs and the sailors are fighting, when Connie grabs some obsidian spheres and hurls them into the spy’s boat. It sinks… And sinks… and disappears beneath the waves. Strike three, he’s out.

Again, it’s all party comp.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 30, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

2017 Masks Game!

I never posted the ending of this game! There were a lot of great moments, like the unreality crisis of Nightcap, whose ties to the dream realm made his life increasingly dreamlike. The worst part was when he revealed he had been talking to the ‘dream versions’ of the party. Not only did the group meet the exaggerated Funhouse mirror versions of themselves from their teammate's imagination, it turns out Nightcap trusted them more. Huge drama bomb.

Punchup and Dreamgirl’s relationship went through tons of ups and downs. That’s what happens when you give irresponsible teenagers tons of money and one of them has pheromone control powers. But after rescuing Dreamgirl from a power-neutralizing trap, Punchup gave her something unexpected. An engagement ring. (She said yes.)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

If only scheduling conflicts could be solved by ten minutes of above-table talk with your group, like every other player conflict.

This sounds like it owned though. I've always wondered what it would be like to see a campaign end :(

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

If only scheduling conflicts could be solved by ten minutes of above-table talk with your group, like every other player conflict.

Two players live together, and had the excuse “the Internet went down in our part of Mexico for three days”. Not much you can do about that!

Someone asked that I put my Hawaiian adventure up so other people use it. ENJOY!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15dBlW-5WhIKtVb3I4BrsOOpYzw24__XOReQFyZ6yQWs/edit?usp=sharing

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 5, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

Two players live together, and had the excuse “the Internet went down in our part of Mexico for three days”. Not much you can do about that!

Yeah, one player in our group missed the majority of our first Soulbound session because their internet randomly tanked and didn't go up until the next day more or less because it happened on a friday after midnight.
Those things just happen.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Bad news: we're gonna be fighting a five-armed vampire thing in our next D&D session

Good news: it only has four swords!

Worse news: it left the fifth in our friend

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

In this week's Soulbound session we got into a brawl in a tavern with a group of Kharadon (mercantile sky dwarves) debt collectors over a Captain who is going to take the party to a settlement they need to save from a horde of Orks.

The highlights were my Stormcast charging into the fray and almost managing to take out the leader instantly. Then she tried to toss the same dwarf, sadly failing due to poor rolls. The dwarves also tried to shoot her, repeatedly, only to constantly fail to wound her at any point.
The armor spell buff she got just as the fight started helped a bit if anything.

The Elf Corsair managed to trip some of them by dumping a bunch of polished ork skulls from a shelf above the door they were standing, before dealing with some of them hiding behind the bar desk trying to shoot us.

Then it ended with the Branchwych throwing bees at them, allowing us to escape as they were subdued. Leaving to the cheers of the other patrons as they got some pretty good entertainment. And the Corsair getting at least one pair of knickers thrown at them during the fighting for his flaire.

And now we've created a nemesis in the Hayard-Gunnes Collection Agency. Who will surely hunt us as we go on the search for a wrecked airship and a whole lot of gold to help repaying the Captain's debts.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Junkie’s Rainbow

Race the Snake! by John Simcoe
“Keep the assassin alive or my daughter’s a dead woman.”
This session was abbreviated because the inspector and Alexandra had bad Internet connection again. But we managed to get two newbies, and they were amazing.

One player took on Penelope “Penny” An’te, Hawaiian gambling queen. Yes, the character from Junkie’s Rainbow that caused the party so much trouble. Another player, who joined the game based on a quick post, absolutely nailed it. The character is amazing to describe, so I’ll just paste the backstory here.

Gyatso Tsering, tired of his life in a Tibetan monastery, used his wealth to travel to the Mystic land of King's County. Through meditation, visits to the Philharmonic, the botanical garden, and a trip to the Bronx Zoo where he was attacked in the aviary, he was inspired to become STEEL EAGLE.

Mastering willpower and chi, he honors his adopted Polish family by driving around in a big truck and entering eating contests, always brandishing his sawn-off shotgun and tire iron, and accompanied by his loyal American sidekick, Jimmy Pulaski.

And of course, he was Penelope’s ex.

———
The players found themselves in the mountains of Iran, invited to a wedding by a merchant friend of theirs. Unfortunately, things are complicated… an entrenched local trader was trying to assassinate his daughter before the service. He hired THE SNAKE, one of the greatest snipers in the Arab world, to kill her, and corruption ran deep. In a few days, his daughter would be married into a powerful merchant family, but until then, they needed the assassin alive and distracted. If he was killed, the trader would just send a replacement. Bingen the butler was a master of stealth, Florence resembled Mina, the merchant’s daughter… not the hardest job in the world!

———
The players were crafty. They lured the killer into a canyon, damaging and sabotaging the path to keep him following but at a distance. They even evaded a pursuing gyrocopter. But they got detoured … Ka’aui is a mountainous island, and Steel Eagle grew up a mountain boy. The former lovers detoured into a cave, discovering the tomb of the Turkish folk hero Koroglu!

There was armor, a scabbard, bones… but no legendary sword. The party investigated, finding the untouched weapon at the bottom of a boiling geyser!
The Eagle dove in, mostly to show up his ex (“mind can easily defeat matter, anyone from the Bronx knows that!"), but the party was ambushed.

Fire bombs and sniper fire defeated Flo's disguise, and the assassin, along with his crew, headed back to town.
Luckily, the players had only damaged and not destroyed the path back. The merchant was of two minds about their performance. Their charade had only lasted the better part of a day, yet they had uncovered historical marvels. Still, could they protect the wedding?

The answer is, sort of! The players needed fate points, so Florence spent her time getting booked as the wedding band, Bingen and Eagle scouted potential sniping locations, and Penelope found the only all-night poker game in rural Iran. Dawn came far too quickly, as the players poured themselves into their formal wear...

The wedding battle was intense! Four heroes against a legendary sniper and a helicopter gunship.
(Especially dangerous was the open floor plan wedding, held at the Persian Gulf Maritime Museum, the only place they could book on five hours' notice.)

Gyatso and Jimmy Pulaski battered the Snake, with Steel Eagle unleashing his powerful fist, glowing red white and blue. The Gyrocopter strafed the wedding. Every attack was powerful, with careening bullets and splintering concrete… the crowd panicked and the only person who seemed unfazed was the imam, who continued the ritual at his glacially slow pace.

Despite the violence, the players prevailed, with Bingen knocking Snake off a rooftop, and Steel taking the Snake's rifle to fire a lone shot at the escaping gyro. BLAM!

With the enemy forces destroyed, there was nothing to do but get bandaged up, listen to long speeches, and pig out on wedding food. Of course, Penny asked Gyatso for a dance…

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 29, 2024

Doctor Yiff
Jan 2, 2008

Doctor Yiff posted:

Our crew has been declared Immune to Hauntings, and are currently being studied by local academics because the three of us are immune to mental trauma on account of being the three biggest bimbos on the planet sharing a single brain cell. So the ghosts have nothing to grab onto because we react with enthusiastic glee to all the cronenberg poltergeist stuff they pull.

As a result, we have been featured on a local YouTuber's ghost hunting show and successfully performed the first exorcism in city history. Our boardwalk lovely arcade/home office is now Haunting free.

Doctor Yiff fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 16, 2023

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Race the Snake!

Mongol Diplomacy!
Blackmailed by the British to surveil a khan!
We began in the skies over England, waiting to land in London. Not a lot of development since our last adventure, except that Devika had retained Penny An’Te as a tutor, considering the latter was a swim instructor and a high school graduate. Perfect qualifications.

The party was tasked by the British to investigate a Soviet/Mongolian alliance. We would’ve said no, but they had arrested Kabir Rupert on charges of fraud and misrepresentation, mostly for his actions on our behalf. We traveled to the other side of the world, got an audience at the palace, and scuttled the Soviet scheme. But one of our players, Kathleen, had a much better summary than I could devise:

“This was totally a James Bond adventure and we were collectively James Bond. Steel Eagle made cool quips while killing the bad guys, Simon and Devika snuck around the secret facility swiping superweapon parts, Penny gambled with the enemy to learn their secrets, and [Florence] was there to pick up girls.”

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 30, 2024

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I don't have most of my campaign notes in front of me so I may not have every detail right but our gaming group started a new 5E campaign a few months back and much to the delight of our DM the rails broke off almost immediately. Some DMs will get annoyed that their carefully laid plans of intrigue got ruined by their friends being complete dipshits but I watched ours rip up notes in front of us and basically say "gently caress it, your scenario sounds way more fun".

The basic gist is that we're in a city ruled over by five major corporations (one of which literally has Tasha as a founding member). We were all pretty down on our luck and decided to start our own little company, taking jobs as they came in. Think Acquisitions Inc but a little more fluid. I play a Bugbear Monk named Tor who is an ex Spy and has a knack for talking themselves out of sticky situations. And when I can't talk their way out of things the 10 foot reach and extra 2d6 I get on attacks when I go before an enemy doesn't hurt.

The rest of the crew:
Tome: A tabaxi rogue, ex cop and probably the only person in this party with a sense of right and wrong.
Burke: A Tortle druid in the service of Tiamat. Has a penchant for mushrooms, literally stinks to the point where it is an offensive power.
Brian The Temp: Human, a literal jack of all trades homebrew class. Has half proficiency in everything because he's done a little bit of everything in his time, multiclassed out the rear end but is our resident complete and utter walking disaster. Played by the other forever DM of the group.

The exploits of this group include:
  • Convincing a cursed Tiefling deathlord/necromancer that him and his skeletons should really stop attacking passerbys and just open a bar on the road with our backing. They'll probably make more money that way!
  • Walking into a temple of Bahamut that were were trying to rob and Brian accidentally making a sign of Tiamat because he's a walking disaster. A Staff of Power wielded by Burke makes contact with a warded wall causing a massive explosion and knocking Brian out. In the ensuing chaos I manage to convince the followers of Bahamut that we had just been victims of a terror attack but had managed to take out the attackers. They then gave us a poo poo ton of stuff our of their treasury as recompense. The Tiamat underling who hired us for this job was watching the entire time while invisible and thought this was absolutely loving hilarious.
  • Burke growing a garden of sentient mushrooms that got so out of hand one of the missions we got had the title "THE UNDEAD WILL OVERWHELM US ALL" and mentioned his garden. Whoops
  • Coming into a lot of money and using it to build a "honeypot" section of our little plot of land to catch intruders that is so ridiculous it can dispell 8th and 9th level spells. I mean it'll pretty much blow itself and whoever broke in up but nobody short of a literal god is getting past it and well if say Tasha has their eye on you then you're pretty well hosed anyway.
  • Deciding to rob the storehouses that some of the randomly generated jobs take place in, taking too long and then having to fight our way out as more guards showed up. This happened multiple times and we eventually learned not to stick around after finishing the job.
  • Helped rob a back that was guarded by a beholder though thankfully a bunch of NPCs we were working with lured it away so we were left with a few human guards and dogs. Brian still died, thanks Pack Tactics :argh:
  • Allowing Brian to pick out a horse on his own. This resulted in the party meeting and employing Jimothy The Werehorse. Jimothy is so goddamn fast at pulling a carriage that our DM makes us roll acrobatics to see if we manage to survive braking. Brian of course fails this roll which Jimothy finds extremely funny.

But I wanted to talk about Brian and the fact that a series of unfortunate rolls in the first session and the good old "well your new character will just be the first character's brother" spawned what I can only describe as an eldritch horror and a major plot point. Brian bit it in the first battle and instead of coming back as a sibling the player made an offhand joke of Brian just showing up after the battle with the next job in hand because the temp agency was also the same place that gave us jobs. We all had a good laugh and Brian was back with us, albeit forgetting he had died.

That's when things started getting...weird. Brian proceeded to bite it multiple times and yet somehow kept showing up at the office the next day saying things like "well it seems like you guys made it out of there after I got knocked out!" and the like. There was also the time he showed up to deliver the next job and I walked into our makeshift conference room and he was sitting there with everybody else not knowing what I was talking about.

What's even weirder is that the day before I had had one of those Matrix moments where I noticed that a good chunk of a crowd of people in the marketplace all look suspiciously like Brian. One of them noticed I was staring and did the good old finger to the lips before blending back into the crowd. After walking into the conference room and seeing Brian sitting there I message our DM directly and ask him if the Brian that delivered the message was one of the ones in the marketplace. He had me roll perception and as it turns out: it was.

I managed to convince Brian's player to have Brian go gently caress off and do something else in the building and bring the rest of the party up to speed on the Brian situation with the DM loving the fact that a one off joke is turning into a worldwide conspiracy. Not soon after this we get a message from another Brian who actually handed the message to our Brian saying that our main job contact wanted to meet. Mind your our Brian had no idea because as we soon found out they're not uh wired to notice eachother.

We go to meet up with our contact in a coffee shop and I quickly notice that every single worker is a Brian. Our contact walks in looking incredibly scared, asks us if we've noticed anything off about the employees and starts swearing under her breath when we say yes. The short version is that the temp agency she works at is just Brian's all the way down. One dies on a job and the client wants them back? Not a problem, load up another Brian with their consciousness minus the death and send them on their way. Cheap labor, everybody is happy.

The long version is much more terrifying. Basically some sort of incredibly powerful being is in control of what I'll call the Brian Collective. Powerful enough so that nobody loving notices that the same person is doing every other job in the city. Now that we've noticed our contact gives us the "I know and trust me you don't want to know" speech from Atlantis and swears us to secrecy. After we agree she says something along the lines of "good, I've sort of grown attached this version of reality". This of course is met with a "what the gently caress did you just say" look from the party but she refuses to elaborate. Cool, guess we're stuck with a secret that could literally affect the universe if we spill it.

During this entire time our Brian is (in game) thinking we're just having a meeting with our contact and not that he's part of a reality altering conspiracy. His player thinks this is all hilarious. Finally we get told that our Brian has been removed from the Collective and that next time he dies we're not going to get a replacement. We all write down in our notes that we have to attempt to keep that walking disaster that is Brian alive going forward :v:

The cherry on top of this little reality altering sundae is that the next job requires that we have some extra help. On the sending stone with our contact from the temp agency I jokingly say "well can't you just give us a Rogue Brian?" and am met with a few seconds of silence and then "done, do you want your Brian to know that the other Brian is a Brian?" and I can just see the shiteating grin my DM has even though we were remote that session. I of course said no because it would be funnier and the DM gave Brian's player a Rogue character sheet to use for that job. Unsurprisingly Rogue Brian ended up rolling better than Regular Brian most of the time.

Now that we've moved on from odd jobs into actual Plot I just know that this whole Brian situation that stemmed from preventing a player from having to re-roll a character in Session 1 is going to come back and bite us in the rear end.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I remember reading somewhere that Tortle's are generally Lawful Good and lead regimented, ritualistic & orderly lives. I'm confident in stating that that is not the case here.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

JustJeff88 posted:

I remember reading somewhere that Tortle's are generally Lawful Good and lead regimented, ritualistic & orderly lives. I'm confident in stating that that is not the case here.

He's not an outright murder hobo and once did get admonished by a priest of Tiamat for borrowing money from another player but is also not above shoving corpses into his garden as compost. Also if someone happens to ignore the "private property keep out" sign, he's not going to go in there and save them.

I am also reminded of the time we came across a young dragon (I forget the color, it wasn't hostile) and he called it brother since he's a follower of Tiamat. The dragon was uh, not thrilled about a Tortle calling them brother.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Got to the Hand of the Inheritor in our Wrath of the Righteous game. Spoilers for that adventure path:

Most of the party is dealing with the prison warden and her pal while our cleric is trying to talk the Hand, a corrupted angel that used to work for our boss, down using diplomacy. He is nearly killing her every turn and she's barely able to keep up with self-healing. My tiefling inquisitor flies over to help her out and she says, "Do not attack him, use your words!"

"Alright, listen up maggot!" I get a total of 60 to demoralize. My tiefling has a feat that makes evil outsiders Nauseated (an absolutely crippling status effect) if she gets five over on the roll, so he's puking in terror as the cleric screams, "Not those words!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In our Warhammer Fantasy campaign, I am playing a character who is effectively what happens if you merge Gaston and Belle, make him German, and also make him a well-intentioned himbo trapper.

We're playing in our custom '100 years later' Warhammer Industrial Roleplay time period so the GM's plan is to put us through a bunch of gothic classics adapted for Warhammer for our hapless adventurers, who are the aforementioned himbo, an achingly handsome Initiate of Morr with a tragic past due to ghouls, and a pair of elven entertainer siblings from Nagarythe who have come over to find the sister's girlfriend and get her away from the Slaanesh cult she might've joined during her adventuring period.

Our first adventure was Dracula, save Lucy was clearly into Dracula and really upset with her suitors (because of the whole 'treat who gets to get engaged with her as a game among bros' sort of attitude). Except Dracula wasn't who she thought; she thought it was the handsome Count Sangster who moved into the decommissioned Morrite monastary, a distinguished older gentleman and writer of history, because her nightly visitor claimed to be him and wrote letters in his name. We were there to oversee the de-consecration of the monastery and the handover of the property, you see. And lots pointed to Sangster, but we withheld our suspicion until we knew more about what was going on and discovered it was a Strigoi in disguise who was trying to trick her into being bound to him by making her a weird mutant vampire like him so she couldn't say no after she'd been turned.

At that point it was time to bring out the Kill the Beast song, use whatever we'd learned about his weaknesses from the nights tracking him, and defeat him in his purloined crypt. It was a cool fight, actually building on understanding enough weaknesses to gently caress with a vampire by bringing the right herbs and tactical pocket grain to force him to either count it or take penalties for leaving it uncounted.

But the best part was after the adventure we got bonus EXP for 'judicious use of the Kill the Beast Song' for not accidentally turning the town against Count Sangster. Also we may have set Lucy and Sangster up. Also Sangster might actually be a vampire. We don't know. But hey, if he is, he's the actual vampire she wanted to be with and a historian who lives in an old gothic villa and mostly doesn't bother anyone is hardly the worst vampire in the world. Our work is done!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of Warhammer, the Soulbound Biding managed to find the crashed dwarven airship we were looking for, having crash landed in desert. There were no sign of any survivors, but a series of grave markers did show that there had been some.

While the dwarven engineers set to get the ship air worthy again, the party began to explore the hold. Finding the door to the captains quarters locked they ventured further down, outside of finding some dwarven armor that had been magically aged they also a journal that told the tale of the ship being brought down by spirits and then the survivors slowly being picked off by a haunting led by a spirit named Ogolash.

Then they hear some noises coming from a nearby room. The Stormcast manages to turn the door to splinters with her might foot as they find the sole survivor of the crew inside. The dwarf having been magically aged several years, and gone almost insane from his experiences.
But any chance of talking to him were cut short as Ogolash and his crew decided to attack the ship.

The party, save except the Khainite elf, rushes back up on deck to find the dwarves mobbed by ghosts and spirits, the airship they came in engulfed by a magical storm that had followed them ever since they arrived in the realm of death.
(The elf staying behind in the cabin to kill the dwarf, the captain they're working for requesting as much. This mostly divulged from some OOC knowledge. She got visited by a ghost knight on a horse.)

It's quickly clear that the fight isn't going to end until the dwarves manages to get the ship airworthy, or something is done about Ogolash, who has the ability to resummon ghosts the party had already taken care off.
The corsair notices that there is a harpoon gun mounted at the prow of the ship, used by the dwarves to hunt sky sharks and other creates.

Thinking quickly he takes the harpoon and leaps over the railing at the ghost floating in the air nearby, and thanks to some divine intervention (The rule of cool), he manages to clear the jump and lodges it into the armored cage that makes up the ghost's armor. Letting go, he falls back down onto the sand.

The khainite elf, having made her way up to the deck during the skirmish, and finding herself at the front near the harpoon, is next to perform an amazing feat of strength as she rapidly manages to crank the harpoon back into the launcher. With the launcher primed, she pulls the lever and the spirit is yeeted off into the distance. To cheers of everyone.

Ogolash's departure essentially brings an end to the fight, giving the dwarves enough time to refuel the ship and get it aloft once more. With the storm dissipating the rest of the ghosts are cut down by concentrated volleys from the other airship and its crew.

With their obligation to the dwarven captain, the party is now free to continue on to their main objective, the settlement of Whitevale in the Realm of Life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not a regular of this board so forgive me a bit if I'm in the wrong spot:
I'm going to be running a campaign soon where the party is an assassin/thief group for hire, and I'm looking for the greatest heists/assassination situations TTRPGs have so I can steal them verbatim get some inspiration for encounters/situations/sessions. I don't suppose there is a particular thread for me to browse, or similar?