Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Such is the life of a high-priority target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I think it will be ok for now. We're going at it from the front or right, our firepower units are running hot and our best shots are only just about 50% chance to hit before even counting for Narrow Profile. Next round however, it's surrounded and can't jump...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I haven’t decided what to do yet, the move i speculated earlier is pretty dangerous

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I haven’t decided what to do yet, the move i speculated earlier is pretty dangerous

You can get to 1013 via 1315 to cover 7 hexes and end facing NW. This gives you 7 and 11 for the COM or if you want better MG odds, 10 on the Galleon. You also get half cover (+1 to-hit) vs the COM and STG shooting you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

You can get to 1013 via 1315 to cover 7 hexes and end facing NW. This gives you 7 and 11 for the COM or if you want better MG odds, 10 on the Galleon. You also get half cover (+1 to-hit) vs the COM and STG shooting you.

I’ll examine this later, thanks

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Everyone gang-beating the commando is pretty funny. Big light lance energy of 4 mechs converging on one target then running in the opposite direction

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ideal scenario:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Space Kablooey posted:

Ideal scenario:

That hunchback is still going to roll an 11 and core one of those stompers

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Everyone loves the AC/20 but the hunchback 4p is the best mech :swoon:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How is ejecting horizontally supposed to work canonically anyway

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Slavvy posted:

For this guy, it mostly didn't.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Slavvy posted:

It's the Battletech equivalent of the cha-cha slide.

Sliiiiide to the left *BLAM*

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Very carefully

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

JackSplater posted:

It's the Battletech equivalent of the cha-cha slide.

Sliiiiide to the left *BLAM*

Probably like this, but rotated 90 degrees and with more red mist.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

That hunchback is still going to roll an 11 and core one of those stompers

he died quietly without a fuss :smug:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ilmucche posted:

Everyone loves the AC/20 but the hunchback 4p is the best mech :swoon:

Fuckin swaybacks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

submitted this, thank you - alphaing the COM

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Scintilla, what is the livery of Sterling and Sable by the way? I've seen mentions of a checkerboard pattern here and there.

Does each Lance do anything different or are they all painted the same?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

Scintilla, what is the livery of Sterling and Sable by the way? I've seen mentions of a checkerboard pattern here and there.

Does each Lance do anything different or are they all painted the same?

Great question! Unfortunately MegaMek doesn’t display paintwork too well, but the company is meant to have an alternating black / white pattern where half of the mech is white with black highlights and the other half is black with white highlights. It’s meant to symbolise the names of the two founders with both Sterling (silver / white) and Sable (black). Right now all lances are painted the same, but that might change in the future.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Over The Hills: Turn 8

“Now this is just unsportsmanlike!” The Commando’s pilot’s voice crackled over open comms as Ruby Lance closed in around it. The man’s protests went unheeded as all four mechs opened fire at once.

For a brief moment it looked as if the Commando was caught in a glowing red spiderweb. The venerable Lyran design literally wilted under Ruby Lance’s combined firepower, its thin armour stripped away as half a dozen lasers skewered it from every direction. When the smoke cleared the Commando looked as if it had been flayed alive, its exposed myomer musculature tinged a faint pink with residual heat.

“Dang it, dang it, dang it! You guys don’t hold back, huh?” The pirate mechwarrior groused. Gamely, he returned fire, striking Anna’s Jenner dead centre with its Large Laser, but it imparted only a bare fraction of the damage he had received.

Watching the exchange, Tsing couldn’t help but feel a grudging respect for the pilot. Despite his intonations, the Commando’s pilot had kept both his footing and his cool. He had also inflicted more damage than had first been apparent. Anna’s Jenner suddenly brightened under Tsing’s thermals, a sure sign of engine damage. Whoever he was, this man was good – which meant they had to take him out now.

As if she had read his mind, Anna sprang forwards and swept the Commando’s damaged leg out from under it. The Commando collapsed in a heap, its battered frame no longer able to support its own weight.

Weapons fire for Jenner JR7-F (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 3: Misses!

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-3V (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 9: Hits Right Leg! Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Right Leg, 0/6 Armour, 5/6 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! No Critical Hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 10: Hits Centre Torso! Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Centre Torso, 1/6 Armour remaining.
-Fires Machine Gun at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 12: Hits Right Torso! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 2 to 1! Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) takes 1 damage to Right Torso, 4/5 Armour remaining.
-Fires Machine Gun at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 12: Hits Left Torso! Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Left Torso, 0/5 Armour remaining.
-Fires Machine Gun at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 11, rolls 10: Misses!

Weapons fire for Vulcan VL-5T (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Centre Torso! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 5 to 2! Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) takes 2 damage to Centre Torso, 0/6 Armour, 1/8 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! No Critical Hits sustained.
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 7, rolls 6: Misses!

--

Weapons fire for Commando COM-1D (Prowlers):
-Fires Large Laser at Jenner JR7-F (Player); needs 7, rolls 8: Hits Centre Torso! Jenner JR7-F (Player) takes 8 damage to Centre Torso, 7/15 Armour remaining. Through Armour Critical!
--Critical Chance in Centre Torso! One Critical Hit sustained! Critical Hit on Engine! +5 heat per turn!
-Fires SRM-6 at Jenner JR7-F (Player); needs7, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 9, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 11, rolls 9: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 11, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Jenner JR7-F (Player); needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Scorpion (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Fires AC/5 at Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Right Leg! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 5 to 2! Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Leg, 4/6 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Foot Platoon (Laser) (Prowlers):
-Fires Laser Rifles at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! 17 troopers hit, causing 5 damage. Vulcan VL-5T (Player) takes 2 damage to Rear Left Torso (2/4 Armour remaining), Right Arm (9/11 Armour remaining), and 1 damage to Right Arm (8/11 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Foot Platoon (Laser) #2 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Physical attacks for Jenner JR7-F (Player):
-Kicks Commando COM-1D (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Right Leg! Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) takes 7 damage to Right Leg, 0/6 Structure remaining. Right Leg destroyed! 2 damage transfers to Right Torso, 2/5 Armour remaining.
--Mech destroyed by leg destruction!

--

Physical attacks for Commando COM-1D (Prowlers):
-Punches Jenner JR7-F (Player) with Left Arm; needs 8, rolls 5: Misses!

Jenner JR7-F (Player) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 4 heat.

Locust LCT-3V (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Vulcan VL-5T (Player) gains 11 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 4 heat.

--

Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) gains 13 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 7 heat.

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 9 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Piloting checks for Commando COM-1D (Prowlers):
Leg destroyed: Automatic Failure!
-Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) falls on its right side, suffering 3 damage.
--Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) takes 3 damage to Right Leg, transfers to Right Torso, 0/5 Armour, 5/6 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
---Critical Chance in Right Torso! No critical hit sustained.
---Cletus West must roll 13 to avoid a Pilot Hit; Automatic Failure! Takes a hit!

--

Cletus West (Commando COM-1D) has taken 1 damage this turn! Cletus West must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
-Cletus West must roll a 5+ to remain conscious! Rolls 10: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Sprint: Infantry can move two hexes in one turn in exchange for not being able to fire.
-Dig In: Infantry can dig in, removing the defence penalty for being caught in the open.

Primary Objectives:
-Capture Pirate Base (3/8 Enemies Destroyed / Driven Off)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 9th, 9:00PM GMT (The update won’t be posted until I’m back in two weeks’ time, but it would help if you could get your orders in promptly so I can get the update done quickly once I get home)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Oops, missubmitted my orders. Didn't even think about going over the hill, wanted to go around and get +3 TMM. oh well, it's kicking time.

Lol at sweep the leg and unsportsmanlike conduct

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The Jenner can punch with its teeny arms right? I might run to 1316. Can double punch at the galleon in right arc to try and finish it off, and sink to 2 heat. Going to be an issue firing lasers for the rest of the battle.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Good work on the kill but oh no engine tac

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Good work on the kill but oh no engine tac

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I feel like the next one in the list is the scorpion.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I was thinking we could swing south, regroup and kill the galleon while hiding from the others. Could head up after to finish the other two

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Alright, the COM is another mobility kill, again this is great for our salvage shares. Scintilla, I take it the COM just ejects next turn? It's still on the board as a live unit, so just making sure we don't need to consider it for this turn.

We have only about 3ML and change in mobile OPFOR left, but we're still running hot after the engine hit. We can try to reduce the enemies to 1 ML if we want to try to send Mirage to finish the Galleon with stubby punches and the rest of us hit the Scorpion.

I think I can get to 1513 over 7 Hexes. It leaves my open left to the INF, but they'd need 11 to hit. We'd need to land at least 3MLs on the left side of the Scorpion, 1513 and 1512 are the side arcs. The LCTs have more MGs so I'd probably say Prime to 1512, but Razor could have a very easy kick if we want to give him 1512.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

Alright, the COM is another mobility kill, again this is great for our salvage shares. Scintilla, I take it the COM just ejects next turn? It's still on the board as a live unit, so just making sure we don't need to consider it for this turn.

Yep, there’s no need to worry about the Commando, it’s out of the fight. I should have ejected him this update but I wrote it up while packing up to leave for the airport and just plain forgot (heh).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah I've got 2 9s to punch the galleon in right arc to try and finish it off, or I can fire lasers at 8s I think.

Don't know what the to hit table is like for vehicles but one RS hit with anything should kill it.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Scintilla posted:

Yep, there’s no need to worry about the Commando, it’s out of the fight. I should have ejected him this update but I wrote it up while packing up to leave for the airport and just plain forgot (heh).

Have fun on your trip! This has been a ton of fun and I love the writing.

ilmucche posted:

Don't know what the to hit table is like for vehicles but one RS hit with anything should kill it.

Well, you're hoping for at least one of the two 9s to land, and then the hit chart is very favorable, but you could still roll the turret or even front/rear. We might want to send one of the LCTs in to secure the kill, at the cost of the easy shots against the stationary Scorpion, I think 6s.

I feel like the mobile OPFOR will move North to get better INF support. If they play that game, but don't have the Scorpion's superior range, we can play the long range game at 7+ hexes just outside INF range better they can by throwing 12MLs vs 2 if the Galleon survives the punches.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Amechwarrior posted:

Have fun on your trip! This has been a ton of fun and I love the writing.

Well, you're hoping for at least one of the two 9s to land, and then the hit chart is very favorable, but you could still roll the turret or even front/rear. We might want to send one of the LCTs in to secure the kill, at the cost of the easy shots against the stationary Scorpion, I think 6s.

I feel like the mobile OPFOR will move North to get better INF support. If they play that game, but don't have the Scorpion's superior range, we can play the long range game at 7+ hexes just outside INF range better they can by throwing 12MLs vs 2 if the Galleon survives the punches.

Yeah, I'm not sure what options I've got really. I'd like to reduce my heat a little bit at least before running in and going for a heavy strike on what is hopefully our last target.

It's what I was thinking with the double punch on the galleon, but some support on that would be good to make sure it goes down

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm also needing to bleed off some heat, so I'm also up for helping out with the GAL. Might as well be the one punching considering I have lower arms at least.

It feels like overkill to me but looking at the armor qty, the tank is looking a bit fresh, especially considering we will not be able to drop a lot of lasers in it this turn.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 7, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I guess that could work. I think I can make 1415 facing north via 0913, get a +2 TMM and hit the galleon with a kick.

Don't think I'll fire a laser though, drop to 1 heat and I'll be ready to run at whoever's left next round

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it sounds like the inf will probably surrender if we take the other stuff off the board so let's stay out of their range where possible and take out the other hostiles

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think i can get to 1614 via 1212 and get shots on the scorp's butt?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

We could have the LCTs push to 1512 & 1513 while the overheaters take out the Galleon. But I'm trying to figure out how we can both get there with +3.

Razor should be able to get to 1415, but no kick and I don't think you can punch a tank at your leg level right?
The only hex that can punch the Galleon is 1316. Mirage can only reach 1316, so if you both want to throw anything at the right side Razor will have to give the punch hex to Mirage. We only need one attack to hit the side and the Vulcan should be able to throw 2ML and the MG in at 8s, and the Jenner throws punches for insurance, but at 9s.

This leaves the LCTs to throw a total of 4ML and 4MG for 6s of which we'd need at least half of the ML to hit the side and then at least 2MGs. The odds of taking out the Scorpion get kind of low given our rolls so far, but we could open the side for a finishing blow like the Galleon.

Razor, which target you want to be insurance for is up to you.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Razor should be able to get to 1415, but no kick and I don't think you can punch a tank at your leg level right?

I don't know. I thought I was able to. Scintilla, can you answer this?

Amechwarrior posted:

Razor, which target you want to be insurance for is up to you.

If I have my pick it would be the GAL.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Can't punch a tank in your legs. Only 1316 can punch the tank.

Mechs can't tie their own shows

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Can't punch a tank in your legs. Only 1316 can punch the tank.

Mechs can't tie their own shows

oh no! what happens if my shoelaces come undone???

i didnt count yet but i might be to reach 1316...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

How am I even supposed to pick the bloody limbs of the infantry out from between my toes? We don't even have hands!