Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

"There are three or four terrorists who care more about blowing up the Liberal Party than they do Daniel Andrews,'' frontbencher James Newbury said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
To be fair the Victorian Liberals are really loving bad.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Avs gets banned for threats but the Vic liberals openly talking about needing to focus terrosist attacks against Dan Andrews

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I don't think it is wafer thin as much as it is well within measurement error (!0.16% of the budget, immaterial from a budgeting point of view).

Also, you ain't supplying 5k houses for a billion haha

easily done.

first you send all your junk somewhere no one lives. then, you send all our recent arrivals there to sort it out and build a city.

then you grift your mates in the top end of town the $1b

bingo bango all done

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hambeet posted:

easily done.

first you send all your junk somewhere no one lives. then, you send all our recent arrivals there to sort it out and build a city.

then you grift your mates in the top end of town the $1b

bingo bango all done

But we already have a Canberra, why would we need a second?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Why go out for a second lobster?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

Why go out for a second lobster?

How else are you going to collect the brown paper bag?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Within the current system we need to start generating surpluses so we can start to reduce our interest bill.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/BudgetReview202223/AustralianGovernmentDebt

18 billion a year (and rising) is a huge impost on our budget.

Personally I'd:

Renege on our foreign debt like so many other countries have with no consequence (Notably Brazil who will soon be in the G8).
Abolish our military and collect the savings(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_without_armed_forces).
Reverse all the obvious contributors to our increasingly stupid structural deficit (Stage three tax cuts first).

But I could call it the Free Sex Party and still nobody would vote for it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Personally, I would just re-tool them to be first responders for climate emergencies.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
If they abolished fuel subsidies to the mining and fossil fuel sector they'd save billions every year

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

starkebn posted:

If they abolished fuel subsidies to the mining and fossil fuel sector they'd save billions every year

yeah but the free market would then cause those industries to fail and we cant have that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cartoon posted:

Within the current system we need to start generating surpluses so we can start to reduce our interest bill.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/BudgetReview202223/AustralianGovernmentDebt

18 billion a year (and rising) is a huge impost on our budget.

Depends. If that deficit spending hadn't happened, would government yearly revenue be less than 18 billion worse off?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
our debt to gdp ratio is relatively small, it's not a serious issue lol

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Yeah the debt and deficit rhetoric was strictly a stick used to beat Labor and immediately forgotten as soon as the LNP were in charge. Nobody takes it seriously and nobody serious believes in it.

It also doesn't even matter if Labor post a surplus, the LNP will still scream debt and deficit and financial disaster and Labor Chaos.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
RBA is predicting 4.5% unemployment rate, which they argue is necessary for the economy to function (and all economists agree you must have some unemployment or poo poo goes sideways).
The government's own research has demonstrated that jobseeker is not enough to live on to the point of being a barrier to finding work.
I still don't know how they can hold these two facts in their head at the same time.
4.5% of the potential working population is hosed and they do not give a single poo poo. By my calculations thats 603 000 people.

I wish these 4.5% of people would resort to crime, specifically on these politicians and bankers. 603 000 people is enough for a pretty spectacular revolution.
But I suppose of course most of them are unable to find work due to being disadvantaged, and this disadvantage is likely some form that makes it challenging for them to, for example, burn down parliament house.

I am surprised how disappointed I am by Labor being poo poo now they're in power. I should know better, but in my defence, things did get slightly better in the K Rudd / Julia Gillard years. Looks like we're poo poo out of luck this time around, when these idiots are banging on about government budget surpluses ahead of an RBA induced recession, while simultaneously not reversing insane tax cuts for the rich and submarine deals that just make us alienate our most important trading partner.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Splode posted:

RBA is predicting 4.5% unemployment rate, which they argue is necessary for the economy to function (and all economists agree you must have some unemployment or poo poo goes sideways).
The government's own research has demonstrated that jobseeker is not enough to live on to the point of being a barrier to finding work.
I still don't know how they can hold these two facts in their head at the same time.
4.5% of the potential working population is hosed and they do not give a single poo poo. By my calculations thats 603 000 people.

I wish these 4.5% of people would resort to crime, specifically on these politicians and bankers. 603 000 people is enough for a pretty spectacular revolution.
But I suppose of course most of them are unable to find work due to being disadvantaged, and this disadvantage is likely some form that makes it challenging for them to, for example, burn down parliament house.

I am surprised how disappointed I am by Labor being poo poo now they're in power. I should know better, but in my defence, things did get slightly better in the K Rudd / Julia Gillard years. Looks like we're poo poo out of luck this time around, when these idiots are banging on about government budget surpluses ahead of an RBA induced recession, while simultaneously not reversing insane tax cuts for the rich and submarine deals that just make us alienate our most important trading partner.

A fearful pool of workers desperate to take any work for any pay regardless of the conditions is good for businesses bottom line.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Splode posted:

Labor will be fine, those drat Greenies better watch out for the Teal Wave 2.0!!!!!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Recoome posted:

Labor will be fine, those drat Greenies better watch out for the Teal Wave 2.0!!!!!!

You seem afraid.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Looking forward to a time where the Labor government can actually do something that isn't just implementing Morrison era policy tbh

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
They need to implement a pair of balls first.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm shocked that Labor is doing this. We need Hawk and Keating back, they knew what was best for workers.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Idk whether I'm shocked though, the ALP have been centrist for ages now and have been really gunning for the economic conservative but socially progressive vote for ages. Jim Chalmers IIRC is from the Right faction but I guess it's just amazing that Labor are tying themselves in knots to defend effectively indefensible tax cuts.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Recoome posted:

Idk whether I'm shocked though, the ALP have been centrist for ages now and have been really gunning for the economic conservative but socially progressive vote for ages. Jim Chalmers IIRC is from the Right faction but I guess it's just amazing that Labor are tying themselves in knots to defend effectively indefensible tax cuts.

lol that's literally the joke. hawk and keating sold out the workers to neoliberalism 40 years ago. why would it be shocking for labor to continue being neoliberal cunts? "less bad than the Liberals" doesn't mean they're not bad.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Sorry i wasn't old enough to be around for Hawke or Keating, all I got was a fistful of Howard and it's been downhill from there

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's absolutely demented to act like there's some highly toxic political swamp that you fall into by cancelling or simply altering the stupid loving tax cuts. The argument I keep getting is "well $150k is seen as achievable by many people such as school principals" and I'm just like what are you talking about bitch

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Recoome posted:

it's not like federal labor does anything much socially progressive these days either really. just incredibly mediocre all around

with hawke & keating at least they significantly increased welfare payments despite all the other poo poo. labor currently have no ambition at all

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lih posted:

it's not like federal labor does anything much socially progressive these days either really. just incredibly mediocre all around

with hawke & keating at least they significantly increased welfare payments despite all the other poo poo. labor currently have no ambition at all

Hawke and Keating were doing a cool new way and maybe you can credit them with a degree of naivety on top of their bad attributes. The new guys aren't naive they're either poo poo scared or bad. It's basically the exact same ministry as last time too which is a part of the problem.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

eh, if you don't think what Hawke and Keating delivered was overall good, you are just someone that fell for Alan Jones talking points.

Labor is not a steal from the rich and give to the poor party, it is a structurally change the system to grow the pie and increase the size of the pie for the workers. Whether that is a bigger ratio to someone else's portion than before is somewhat beside the point (although to satisfy the crab buckets, it's always good optics to tell people you will give them part of someone else's slice of pie).

The best example is superannuation. Decisions driving corporate governance are being more and more driven by industrial funds asking questions and demanding action on stakeholder issues beyond simple Net Asset Value/Free Cash Flow/Earnings Per Share/blah blah blah. That is almost entirely through Labor setting up mandatory Super contribution which means that large groups of people don't just have to rely on the vote and the nebulous impact on a particular issue, a grassroots campaign to take your collective bat and ball super out of a company can have impact on their decision making. Yes a cottage industry was set up for accountants and managers, the enemy - who lent money to evil capitalists, growing their slice of pie, but at the same time workers in Aus are far, far better off for the change with much much bigger slices of pie than early 80's (it's all relative too, it was a young population in the 80's without nearly the consideration for externalities such as the environment, first peoples or unintended consequences - much cheaper to achieve a certain quality of life than it is today).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

eh, if you don't think what Hawke and Keating delivered was overall good, you are just someone that fell for Alan Jones talking points.

You're retarded. Cyas in a week or whatever.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

JBP posted:

Hawke and Keating were doing a cool new way and maybe you can credit them with a degree of naivety on top of their bad attributes. The new guys aren't naive they're either poo poo scared or bad. It's basically the exact same ministry as last time too which is a part of the problem.

Haha go on

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Keep going?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Labor is not a steal from the rich and give to the poor party, it is a structurally change the system to grow the pie and increase the size of the pie for the workers. Whether that is a bigger ratio to someone else's portion than before is somewhat beside the point (although to satisfy the crab buckets, it's always good optics to tell people you will give them part of someone else's slice of pie).

The best example is superannuation. Decisions driving corporate governance are being more and more driven by industrial funds asking questions and demanding action on stakeholder issues beyond simple Net Asset Value/Free Cash Flow/Earnings Per Share/blah blah blah. That is almost entirely through Labor setting up mandatory Super contribution which means that large groups of people don't just have to rely on the vote and the nebulous impact on a particular issue, a grassroots campaign to take your collective bat and ball super out of a company can have impact on their decision making. Yes a cottage industry was set up for accountants and managers, the enemy - who lent money to evil capitalists, growing their slice of pie, but at the same time workers in Aus are far, far better off for the change with much much bigger slices of pie than early 80's (it's all relative too, it was a young population in the 80's without nearly the consideration for externalities such as the environment, first peoples or unintended consequences - much cheaper to achieve a certain quality of life than it is today).

"Third way neoliberalism is good for workers" chirps credulous moron.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Good News Everyone!

Wages will surpass inflation next year according to Treasury. So no need to do anything about it.

Like it did for every other year for the last 20....

Comstar fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 5, 2023

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

The good thing about the Stage 3 tax cuts is it makes every other waste of money fell small and unimportant by comparison. 220 million for a football stadium? Ha, they could build a hundred footy stadiums with those tax cuts and still have plenty of pocket change leftover, who cares.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

This is the funniest post made in Auspol in the longest time I can remember. well done!

"structurally change the system to grow the pie"

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

Good News Everyone!

Wages will surpass inflation next year according to Treasury. So no need to do anything about it.

Like it did for every other year for the last 20....

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 5, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Recoome posted:

American polling but wouldn't be surprised if it about tracked in Australia; 'economic conservative put socially progressive' is from all indications a demographic that literally does not exist.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Ghost Leviathan posted:

American polling but wouldn't be surprised if it about tracked in Australia; 'economic conservative put socially progressive' is from all indications a demographic that literally does not exist.

They absolutely exist, I meet people like this all the time. They're generally just ignorant and believe what they're told about the economy, especially dumb household budget comparisons. This is a big chunk of the teal demographic for example - they want more women CEOs which is about as socially progressive and economic conservative as it gets.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They 100% exist and are now called Teals. Action on climate change - as long as it doesn't affect my stock portfolio's projected 5% growth this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Murderer to step down from Federal Politics.

Stuart Roberts is out. Hopefully another bi-election loss for Mr Plod.

The ghosts of the people he killed on centrelink will still be out there.