Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The problem with saying "everyone over $250k get hosed" is the second the Fed actually does that, every company and everyone with more than $250k is going to pull it's cash out of any bank that's not a G-SIB because those are effectively zero risk, and the most well- funded and well- hedged bank out there still dies if you remove a big enough chunk of deposits.

Outside of guaranteeing all deposits I'm not sure how the Fed stops every bank and credit union from being absorbed by JPM and Citi if this keeps going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ranbo das posted:

The problem with saying "everyone over $250k get hosed" is the second the Fed actually does that, every company and everyone with more than $250k is going to pull it's cash out of any bank that's not a G-SIB because those are effectively zero risk, and the most well- funded and well- hedged bank out there still dies if you remove a big enough chunk of deposits.

Outside of guaranteeing all deposits I'm not sure how the Fed stops every bank and credit union from being absorbed by JPM and Citi if this keeps going.

you say that "too big to fail" was a loving mistake and make it clear that if JPM fucks up bad enough that, yeah, the billion and a half you have on deposit there isn't protected either.

Alternatively you make all banks go through routine and actually thorough audits and stress tests to ensure their health, and anyone given the "too big to fail" label gets a whole set of extra regulations that basically turn it into a utility. Frankly they should be stringent enough and focused enough on stability vs. profitability that your average investor will want to split the business themselves long before that, which is good because too big to fail is some bullshit that should never happen.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Alternatively you make all banks go through routine and actually thorough audits and stress tests to ensure their health, and anyone given the "too big to fail" label gets a whole set of extra regulations that basically turn it into a utility.

this is exactly what a SIFI/GSIB is. The Dodd-Frank stress tests that got unpassed for mid-tier banks like SVB are still in place for the eight largest US banks. Also JPMC isn’t considered the safest bank right now because people expect the government to bail it out, it’s because it’s sitting on enough cash to bail out the government.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hypnophant posted:

this is exactly what a SIFI/GSIB is. The Dodd-Frank stress tests that got unpassed for mid-tier banks like SVB are still in place for the eight largest US banks. Also JPMC isn’t considered the safest bank right now because people expect the government to bail it out, it’s because it’s sitting on enough cash to bail out the government.

dodd-frank should never have been repealed for mid-tier stuff.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ya'll do know that the regulators already auctioned First Republic bank off to JP Morgan, right? https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/california-financial-regulator-takes-possession-first-republic-bank-2023-05-01/

Cyrano4747 posted:

Agreed.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

plainly. but to be precise, large parts of dodd-frank remain in place even for small banks; it’s only the asset requirements to be considered “too big to fail” that got raised. I’ll also point out there’s some debate whether having these stress tests in place would have saved SVB, since they allegedly don’t consider interest rate risk as part of the stress testing regime. I don’t know enough about the stress tests to comment about that. I do know, from watching hours of senate testimony for a class on the Fed this semester, that the SF Fed had found SVB to be deficient on a number of risk measures and had given them notice they needed to clean up their poo poo, but they hadn’t reached the “actual consequences” phase yet and anyway it’s not obvious what SVB could have done differently once interest rates started climbing and a big chunk of their asset book was suddenly underwater.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I wonder about the FDIC upper limit sometimes.

Using this history: https://americandeposits.com/history-and-timeline-of-changes-to-fdic-coverage-limits/
And this inflation calculator: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

We can see these limits expressed in the form of 2023 dollars.

1934: 2.5K = 56,312.69, new 5K = 112,625.37

1950: 5K = 62,621.58, new 10K = 125,243.15

1966: 10K = 93,159.26, new 15K = 139,738.89

1969: 10K = 123,366.21, new 20K = 164,488.28

1974: 20K = 122,448.68, new 40K = 244,897.36

1980: 40K = 146,522.33, new 100K = 366,305.83

2008: 100K = 140,191.27, new 250K = 350,478.16

Not sure what this says, except everyone got loving hammered in the late 70s. I think we'd also need to know this in proportion to household wealth or income.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

hypnophant posted:

it’s not obvious what SVB could have done differently once interest rates started climbing and a big chunk of their asset book was suddenly underwater.

As rates rose in 2022, SVB actually reduced their hedging, increasing the effective duration of their portfolio. This was effectively doubling down on a bet that interest rates would quickly return to lower levels.

They could've done... not that

FT posted:

And at the end of 2021, SVB’s financial accounts indicate that on the AfS side it held $15.26bn of interest rate swaps to hedge against the impact of rising rates on its big bond portfolio. So what happened?

Well it looks that weakening profitability in 2022 as the tech world made SVB do something really dumb. In the first quarter, it unwound $5bn of AFS hedges to book a $204mn gain, and in the second quarter it dumped another $6bn of hedges to lock in a $313mn gain.

Or as the bank put it in a July 2022 presentation to investors, it was “shifting focus to managing downrate sensitivity”.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

NYTimes on the latest fed rate raise...

quote:

What to know about the Fed’s latest move.

Federal Reserve officials raised interest rates by a quarter-point on Wednesday in the tenth straight move in their fight against rapid inflation — but they also opened the door to a possible pause in rate increases.

Central bankers lifted rates to a range of 5 percent to 5.25 percent, a level they have not reached since the summer of 2007. The move capped the fastest series of rate increases since the 1980s, as the central bank led by Chair Jerome H. Powell attempts to slow the economy and weigh down price increases.

Here’s what to know about the central bank’s latest move:

- In their statement announcing the decision, Fed policymakers indicated that they will watch to see whether future rate moves are necessary. That marks a shift in stance: For months, they had assumed that additional increases would be needed. This opens the door to a possible pause in rate increases.

- “In determining the extent to which additional policy firming may be appropriate to return inflation to 2 percent over time, the committee will take into account the cumulative tightening of monetary policy, the lags with which monetary policy affects economic activity and inflation, and economic and financial developments,” the policy-setting Federal Open Market Committee said in its release. The “may” in the statement is a signal that officials are not confident that further moves will absolutely be necessary.

- In his news conference after the rate announcement, Mr. Powell said that “a decision on a pause was not made today.” He added that “we’ll approach that question at the June meeting,” punting the decision on a potential pause for another month.

- Investor bets on where interest rates go from here are tilted toward a pause at the Fed’s next meeting and then lower interest rates later in the year. (Mr. Powell said that cutting interest rates this year was “not in our forecast.”) One calculation put the likelihood that the Fed would hold off changing rates when it meets in June at 80 percent.

- The Fed does not “have an agenda to further consolidate banks,” Mr. Powell said, in response to a question about the seizure and sale of First Republic Bank to JPMorgan Chase, already the country’s largest bank. Mr. Powell said it was a good policy to limit the expansion of the biggest banks, but that exceptions made sense in cases of bank failures. He also said that credit conditions were tightening following the banking turmoil, which could slow the economy.

- Mr. Powell said it was “essential” that the nation’s debt limit is raised in a timely way. “It’s very important that this be done,” he added, noting that the Fed does not give advice to politicians. The consequences for the U.S. economy of a debt default could be dire, he said. “We shouldn’t even be talking about a world in which the U.S. doesn’t pay its bills,” he said.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

seizure and sale of First Republic Bank to JPMorgan Chase

Narrowly avoided further run on banks this weekend/week

Hopefully(?) this sweeps the mortgage interest rate losses under the rug and OH LOOK A BLIMP

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

uh oh

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 3, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I said, OH LOOK, A BLIMP

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Fed Chair Jerome Powell today: "Banking system sound and resilient"

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Really we should have seen this coming

edit: my bad

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 4, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LostCosmonaut posted:

[url]https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1648676815056117761[url]

I enjoy the joke here, but let's remember the thread rules...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pacwest says about 73% of their deposits are under the fdic limit (svb was 6.2% for comparison). if they really do go down that seems like a pretty big warning sign that this panic is just starting to bring down large regional banks all together

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Good news everybody, housing is back, for the handful of distressed sales still happening anyways

quote:

93 major housing markets saw home price gains in March while 7 declined

https://fortune.com/2023/05/03/housing-markets-where-home-prices-rose-and-fell-in-march-according-to-black-knight/

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LostCosmonaut posted:

(tweet)

LanceHunter posted:

I enjoy the joke here, but let's remember the thread rules...

yup, post was rightfully reported by someone. as LC has made several good posts in this thread and previously been good about the rules I'll let this one go with a warning, but next rule-breaking tweet in this thread (edit: from ANYONE, to be clear) gets a sixer or more. LC if you meant to perhaps post that tweet in stocks thread instead just delete it please, thanks

pmchem fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 4, 2023

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

hypnophant posted:

it’s not obvious what SVB could have done differently once interest rates started climbing and a big chunk of their asset book was suddenly underwater.

Liquidated some of those assets once the fed clearly signaled they were going to raise rates a lot, eaten a small loss, and used those funds to buy assets whose value is positively correlated with the interest rate?

You know, like, been bankers? Done their job?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Good news everybody, housing is back, for the handful of distressed sales still happening anyways

https://fortune.com/2023/05/03/housing-markets-where-home-prices-rose-and-fell-in-march-according-to-black-knight/

that article is paywalled; are these seasonally-adjusted numbers? Because if not, well, price rises in May as compared to the winter don't necessarily translate to a recovery in prices "this year".

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Leperflesh posted:

that article is paywalled; are these seasonally-adjusted numbers? Because if not, well, price rises in May as compared to the winter don't necessarily translate to a recovery in prices "this year".

In my area, Denver metro, nominal prices from March to April appreciated about 2.5%.

6% off the highs of Spring/Summer 2022 but those were real goldrush highs.

There's just no inventory.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wasn't paywalled last night, try archive.is

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ok yup not seasonally adjusted, but the numbers are still significant and the article compares vs. peak 2022 prices which is about as useful as seasonally-adjusted anyway:

quote:

Among the 100 largest markets tracked by Black Knight, 53 housing markets ended March at a price that remains below their 2022 peak price. Meanwhile 47 markets are back—or above—their 2022 peak. However, even that metric marks an improvement from February, when 75 major housing markets were below their 2022 peak price and just 25 markets were back—or above—their 2022 peak.
The markets where home prices are down the most since the peak includes places like Austin (–13.3%); San Jose (–11.4%); San Francisco (–11.2%); Seattle (–10.9%); Phoenix (–10%); Las Vegas (–9.4%); Boise (–9.4%); Stockton, Calif. (–9.4%); Sacramento (–8.7%); and Salt Lake City (–8%).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

hobbez posted:

There's just no inventory.

This is the key here, and what I was going for

The numbers don't mean much when total sales per month are in the tens in each local market

It is interesting that it's an almost universal trend country-wide though

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I had the same question and after not getting the answer directly from reading the article I saw that it was answered in the extremely faint footnote in the picture of the chart - they are seasonally adjusted.

I don't know if it's a fair assumption that historical seasonality patterns used for adjustment are applicable to the current environment, but they at least attempted to adjust.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This is a good indicator that Austin's pro-building policy is actually paying dividends, even as we've had to absorb some of the biggest population growth in the country for over a decade. Check out this graph from the Census department...

Three out of the five largest percentage growth cities are in the greater Austin area, and two of them are outright suburbs of Austin. For over a decade now we've been building like crazy, but housing costs were still rising faster-than-average because of the sheer number of people moving here. It resulted in some NIMBY backlash, as people saw these towers going up and also saw their rents rising and decided that the two phenomenon were related. It was hard to explain that the new towers meant those rent raises were lower than they might have been otherwise.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

odd lots has an episode today about spiraling childcare costs (stream available here):
https://www.bloomberg.com/oddlots

ep description:

quote:

Disruptions caused by the pandemic have revealed deep flaws in our supply chain for physical goods. Certain market failures that have been left to fester for years were suddenly exposed. But some parts of the economy were broken long before the pandemic, particularly anything having to do with care work. Various forms of childcare, daycare, eldercare and healthcare have seen costs explode, with services unevenly distributed, even as those working in the care economy often remain poorly compensated. On this episode, we speak to economist Nancy Folbre, professor emerita of economics at UMass-Amherst and director of the Program on Gender and Care Work at the Political Economy Research Institute, about why such crucial services are so broken in America.

looking forward to listening. that particular labor market has been totally broken since the pandemic (even worse than before pandemic). I know of local childcares that have been actively trying to hire, money available to do it, but unable to reach anywhere near fully staffed for literally 2 years straight now

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What is working well these days?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

What is working well these days?

I hear that being a billionaire is very profitable!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pmchem posted:

looking forward to listening. that particular labor market has been totally broken since the pandemic (even worse than before pandemic). I know of local childcares that have been actively trying to hire, money available to do it, but unable to reach anywhere near fully staffed for literally 2 years straight now

We briefly relocated to a city of 100k and hired a nanny full time baby sitter for like 10 weeks until a spot opened up at literally any day care in the city. Finally something came up because our kid could walk and the kids next on the list hadn't learned yet. Had to drive 20 minutes one way, out of the way to drop her off every morning and they didn't offer meals or even drinks

In our new town we lucked out and three spots opened up a week before, is a 3 minute drive and next to the neighborhood market, thank God

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Here's a non-paywall/gift link to the NYTimes coverage of today's jobs report. Just way too much stuff to all copy over here, but some highlights...

quote:

U.S. employers added 253,000 jobs in April.

The labor market is still defying gravity.

Employers added 253,000 jobs in April, the Labor Department reported Friday, in a reversal of the cooling trend that had marked the first quarter and was expected to continue.

The unemployment rate was 3.4 percent, down from 3.5 percent in March, and matched the level in January, which was the lowest since 1969.

The higher-than-forecast job gain complicates the Federal Reserve’s potential shift toward a pause in interest rate increases. Chair Jerome H. Powell said on Wednesday that the central bank might continue to raise rates if new data showed the economy wasn’t slowing enough to keep prices down.

“Every time we’ve made some employment growth forecast, the labor market has beat expectations,” said Mervin Jebaraj, director of the Center for Business and Economic Research at the University of Arkansas.

Downward revisions to previous two months altered the spring employment picture meaningfully, subtracting a total of 149,000 jobs. That means the April number is less than the average of 290,000 jobs added over the past six months, but a reacceleration from the 165,000 jobs added in March.

quote:

Wages climb rapidly, defying the Fed’s hopes for a slowdown.

Wage growth picked up in April, good news for American workers but bad news for officials at the Federal Reserve, who have been hoping to see a steady moderation in pay gains as they try to wrestle inflation back under control.

Average hourly earnings climbed by 4.4 percent in the year through April. That compared with 4.3 percent in the previous month, and was more than the 4.2 percent that economists had expected.

The increase in wages compared with the previous month — at 0.5 percent — was the fastest since March 2022.

The hourly earnings measure can bounce around from month to month, so it is possible that the April jump is a blip rather than a reversal in the trend toward cooler wage gains. Even so, the data underscored that the Fed faces a bumpy road as it tries to slow the economy and bring inflation under control.

Doomers in absolute shambles.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
We clearly have outstanding issues (debt crisis, Ukraine, china trade war, oil supply, chip production) but they don't seem to be limiting the metrics used to measure the markets or the market's status. What that says for inflation may be an open question.

Considering china is the biggest doomer pushing "America is going to fail" this should be of significant spite to them.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I feel like we need some new term to describe a kind of anti-stagflation. In the same way that term was coined to try and capture the seemingly-paradoxical economic state of a slow economy with high inflation, we need something to capture this state of the economy running super-hot in terms of full (or near-full) employment and rising wages that isn't getting knocked back by rising interest rates. The "radiator economy?"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

LanceHunter posted:

I feel like we need some new term to describe a kind of anti-stagflation. In the same way that term was coined to try and capture the seemingly-paradoxical economic state of a slow economy with high inflation, we need something to capture this state of the economy running super-hot in terms of full (or near-full) employment and rising wages that isn't getting knocked back by rising interest rates. The "radiator economy?"

Part of the problem is Keynesian economics was developed under a heavy manufacturing economy where capital investment drove productivity through purchases of PPE but in a switch to an information/service economy there’s less need for large capital investment to drive growth.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I'd say certain sectors that were particularly juiced by zero interest rates, like tech and commercial real estate, are definitely in a chill right now. I'd think residential real estate would be too, with mortgage rates tripling, but I guess it's having roughly balancing effects of "we are never moving" killing inventory vs. "a 2% ask price is unaffordable at 7%" killing demand.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

also it is not actually good news that wages continue to not rise as fast as prices, and a booming economy in which that continues can't last, right, because at some point people can't afford to buy things any more

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Leperflesh posted:

also it is not actually good news that wages continue to not rise as fast as prices, and a booming economy in which that continues can't last, right, because at some point people can't afford to buy things any more

Yes, but it seems to indicate that we are one side of that equilibrium still which is not good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh, for sure, and I think most of us agree that the inflation was and perhaps still is being driven by supply shortages, not (or not only) by demand, which is why rising rates is predicted to have less of an impact. But wage growth lagging price growth probably will, IMO, in that at some point there will be a new equilibrium between supply and demand that fixes prices in place. No?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Oh, for sure, and I think most of us agree that the inflation was and perhaps still is being driven by supply shortages, not (or not only) by demand, which is why rising rates is predicted to have less of an impact. But wage growth lagging price growth probably will, IMO, in that at some point there will be a new equilibrium between supply and demand that fixes prices in place. No?

Part of the issue is also that consumer spending is very unevenly distributed. It's surprisingly hard to find good data broken out by income bracket, but here's a WaPo chart I found that shows at least the big trends:

Basically your highest quintile in the economy is spending 3x-4X what the lowest quintile is in general. If you're just talking discretionary spending it's more like 10x. I suspect that if this was broken out by deciles it would be even starker.

The people who have come out the best from wage growth have been on the very bottom (e.g. servers actually beginning to get half way decent pay as a result of labor shortages in part due to more of them moving out of the industry because of covid) and at the very top (something obscene like 70% of the increase in savings during covid happened in the top 10%). So if you're talking about the median earner it's very possible to find someone who hasn't seen that wage growth, but is still getting squeezed by inflation.

So, yeah, we're in a situation where a few groups have more disposable income than before and can afford higher prices on luxury items, but at the same time a lot of other people aren't seeing that wage growth and are feeling squeezed by rising prices on daily goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Leperflesh posted:

Is that changing? I'm just googling but it looks like seasonally adjusted wage growth for the 3 months December 22-March 23 was 1.2%. It looks like CPI increase for those three months was... 1.1% Well, okay, so they're basically tied at this point, but at least inflation is no longer clearly outpacing wage growth.

If inflation doesn't spike back up (big if) this might be a good sign wage growth will start to steadily outpace it, though.