Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
somewhat amusingly the really anime shorts were the low points this time out. but sith and all the stop motion shorts were great
e: the climax to screechers reach was well animated too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

drat the 2nd episode Screecher whatever was dark af. Was not expecting that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

D-Pad posted:

drat the 2nd episode Screecher whatever was dark af. Was not expecting that.

Yeah, the twist of the main girl being a Sith apprentice was kind of unique as well

Unlike the first batch there weren’t too many shorts this time around that had the potential to be spun out into their own shows though (Screecher’s Reach and Dark Head are probably the top contenders in that regard)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 5, 2023

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Overall I liked it. Visions Volume 1 I felt had too many “Star Wars but with light saber samurai” episodes and Volume 2 had too many “kid with mysterious powers encounter Jedi” episodes (although Screechers Reach was a delightfully dark twist on the premise)

Screecher’s Reach was definitely my fav, and The Pit was the only one I didn’t care for at all. All the others are solid Animatrix Star Wars here’s hoping they keep ‘em coming.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm about halfway through the collection, but my god Screecher's Reach nailed it. Cartoon Saloon does some incredible work, with succint layered dialog and evocative visuals. I want a whole movie about these characters now.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I liked the blatant morpheus-neo helicopter jump. it was neat.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
I went to Australia in the '90s to visit some distant relatives. At one point, they took me to a place behind the bar we were at that I can only really describe as a sort of Human Zoo. It was a long time ago and my English wasn't great then so in my memory's eye, my cousin (actually my grandmother's brother's great-grandson) described it as an "N-word" bar but I'm fairly certain that isn't what he actually said.

Anyway, the droid bar reminded me of that experience and I haven't thought of it in decades. So whatever they were going for, they really hit it on the head.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ciao Wren posted:

I went to Australia in the '90s to visit some distant relatives. At one point, they took me to a place behind the bar we were at that I can only really describe as a sort of Human Zoo. It was a long time ago and my English wasn't great then so in my memory's eye, my cousin (actually my grandmother's brother's great-grandson) described it as an "N-word" bar but I'm fairly certain that isn't what he actually said.

Anyway, the droid bar reminded me of that experience and I haven't thought of it in decades. So whatever they were going for, they really hit it on the head.

Queensland or New South Wales?

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Queensland or New South Wales?

Queensland.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Figures. Literal slave colony.

e: My third guess would have been WA for all the White South Africans that moved there after the end of apartheid.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 5, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Got through 4 of them tonight and will have to finish the rest tomorrow, thoughts:

Sith - Fantastic visuals, and I love the design of the main character, her droid, and the ship at the end. Not much dialogue but the action was nicely rendered. The bit with the droid becoming a laser cannon was ace.

Screecher's Reach - Absolutely fantastic. Naturalistic voice acting and writing for the characters. Beautiful drawing style and great character designs. The ending was like *gasp* no way. If this were a series on Disney+ I'd watch every episode, it screams quality all over.

I Am Your Mother - CUTE. CUTE!!! Loved seeing all the different star wars things rendered in claymation style. The story was cute. Just a good short.

Journey to the Dark Head - The writing of the dialogue is very 90s anime or like avatar the last airbender, same with the voice direction. The art style rips and the voice acting itself is good I love Daniel Dae Kim as the villain especially and Eugene from the try guys does a good job as the Jedi. The character designs were fantastic. Much like 9th Jedi, I'd love to see a full series by this studio in this style, especially if they tightened up the writing a bit and directed everyone less like a 90s anime.

My ranking so far:

1. Screecher's Reach
2. I am your mother
3. Journey to the Dark Head
4. Sith

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 8, 2023

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Screecher's reach had a real Irish folklore feel and look to it.

Edit: The sith had a celtic vibe to her.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 5, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hmm I wonder why it has a Celtics vibe to it, I really do...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The absolute best part of I Am Your Mother is the mini Death Star popping out as a laser cannon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

swickles posted:

The absolute best part of I Am Your Mother is the mini Death Star popping out as a laser cannon.

Incorrect! :goonsay:

It's the Moon Robot from A Grand Day Out appearing in the background of the starting line scenes. Hell, it might even be the original model.

(The Death Star laser was real neat :allears:)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

site posted:

somewhat amusingly the really anime shorts were the low points this time out. but sith and all the stop motion shorts were great
e: the climax to screechers reach was well animated too
Very much agreed. At least The Pit did try for something different; Journey to the Dark Head struck me as being basically "let's put anime into Star Wars and call it a day". Didn't do anything for me. And both just look kind of dull and by-the-numbers to me art-wise, paling in comparison to the rest (The Bandits of Golak excepted, perhaps).

In any event I'd have to say Aau's Song is my favourite simply by virtue of being both incredibly gorgeous and super-charming, but Screecher's Reach is up there for me too. And of course Star Wars per Aardman is an absolute joy as well. Overall I found this second series a lot more compelling than the first and hope there'll be another involving yet more studios from all over the globe.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Aardman one was a bit boring. Kind of a bad match for Star Wars imo, different species of humor.

Journey to the Dark Head would have been more effective with about half as much dialogue. Visually speaking it’s really nice, just let down by too much chatter.

Sith has great style, but falls back on more standard stuff when the action kicks in. Kind of disappointing although they pulled it out at the end.

Screecher’s Reach is the opposite, looks meh until the action starts and is then great right through the end.

Bandits of Golak was both cornball and kind of phenomenal. Like a Filoni show but Bollywood, what’s not to like?

In the Stars: I liked the visual styling of the carvings in this one, bit paint by numbers though.

Spy Dancer: really good. I would go to this cabaret

The Pit, I fell asleep but I guess they solved racism in the end, so that’s nice

Didn’t see the last one yet because I fell asleep in The Pit

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is there anything worthwhile about Young Jedi Adventures or is it just a pure kids show?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Larryb posted:

So is there anything worthwhile about Young Jedi Adventures or is it just a pure kids show?

its a true kids show, even the villain is a kid

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

It's Spidey and His friends but with a Star Wars skin. My four year old seems to like it. But she prefers rebels.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

mitochondritom posted:

It's Spidey and His friends but with a Star Wars skin. My four year old seems to like it. But she prefers rebels.
You should watch her career with great interest...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

mitochondritom posted:

A wonderful thing, the mind of a child is.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
For 'I Am Your Mother' I kept thinking "That's the worst Wedge voice I've ever heard."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ballz posted:

The Pit was the only one I didn’t care for at all.

It started off okay and when everyone was left in the pit to die I was really interested to see where it was going and how hosed up things were going to get.

Then they went with the Disney ending :sigh:

Edit: But I really liked Screecher's Reach. The big reveal at the end and they way they played it was amazing. A total subversion of expectations.

I didn't even realise it was a Sith until after the episode was over and was, "...wait a second!"

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 5, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

For 'I Am Your Mother' I kept thinking "That's the worst Wedge voice I've ever heard."

I hope this means you intend to stop by the Wedge Antilles merchandise stall for some Wedge-themed products. Fantastic value and all profits go to the pilot-specific veteran support fund.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I didn't even realise it was a Sith until after the episode was over and was, "...wait a second!"

The key moment of realization was when she told the kid to keep the red lightsaber

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it was actually when the communicator turned bright red

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
For me it was solidified when she walked out with the red/orange eyes sith are notorious for. I'm not used to lightsabers turning color that fast, so the red lightsaber use in the cave wasn't a giveaway for me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

For me it was when she wanted to stop working, which was truly the most despicable move a child laborer can make.

J/K it was when she executed the sith ghost

Also wanna say the ship design in Screecher's was sick af

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Marathoned them all tonight. Screecher’s, Golak, Spy Dancer, and Mother were my favorites. But all the others were good too— no real duds like in the first season. Sith was probably my least favorite story-wise but at least it was gorgeous.

I did notice a trend of “young child discovers burgeoning force powers” and I wonder if that was a purposeful theme or if all the studios just came up with that independently.

It was cool that every single episode had a female as the main character and I’m sure we won’t hear anything about that from dumb people.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I thought the 2D effects in Sith were really good, but the 3D animation was extremely spotty. Very awkward character animation and the painterly texture filter on the non-droid characters didn't work very well.

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
I always liked the Forest god in Princess Mononoke where it was fecundity in all it's forms with every step. New growth, wild growth, death, decay all in the space of a moment. I felt they should have made a Nurgle Daemon like that, with a focus on the first half -- Nurgle has the latter half covered. Likewise, I feel the Sith have lacked that part of their experience. So SITH was awesome. I made an effort post in Scifi Wifi about Zen, Kierkegaard and the Force.

It was timely since Visions kicks off with an aesthete becoming a Lord of the Sith. Notably, she refuses to choose the entire time, only defining herself through negation. Say what you will about Rise of Skywalker, there is a lot to hate, but it had one really good idea which is Sith as Cenobytes. It flips the core Axiom of Campbellianism on its head. Campbell said "Life eats life, we live by killing." Palpatine and the Sith are the opposite -- they still eat life, but they live by dying.

An aesthete is a perfect vessel for that message. Think about the glorification of suicide in aesthete saints like Sylvia Plath and Zelda Fitzgerald. Dysfunction as fuction.

I'm just starting the next one but it's a cool homage to that '80s star wars ripoff Legend of Orin, which is sweet.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
https://tenor.com/view/white-guy-blinking-white-guy-blinking-wtf-gif-7831341

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo
First three episodes all seem to embrace the thesis that Luke should have struck down the Emperor when he had the chance. In different ways, but they all agree he should have done it.

And that's wrong.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I haven't started Visions 2 yet, but the other morning threw on the first episode of Young Jedi Adventures while my not-giving-a-poo poo-about-Star-Wars 7 year old was hanging around.

He's been hooked.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ciao Wren posted:

First three episodes all seem to embrace the thesis that Luke should have struck down the Emperor when he had the chance. In different ways, but they all agree he should have done it.
I don't really see how you can come to that conclusion with respect to any of them.

Lola doesn't solve anything through being forced to kill her old Master - she explicitly says more will come and therefore decides to leave the planet. Meanwhile, her epiphany about the painting containing both light and dark comes before she strikes him down. If anything, it's that epiphany that actually enables her to defeat him. Luke has no such moment directly prior to his encounter with the Emperor.

Daal may get her wish of finally escaping her life in the workhouse, but in doing so she loses - or rather, abandons - her friends and above all she's doing it to become apprentice to a Sith. It serves as a warning, not encouragement; much like the final episode of season 1 did.

And finally, Koten and Tichina together do find the strength to defeat the Imperial presence on their world; but that in itself and the manner in which they accomplish it are a far cry from taking a weapon and striking down someone who appears and even claims to be defenceless.

And quite apart from any of this is the fact that Luke did try to strike down Palpatine when he had the chance, but Vader moved to stop him.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Screecher's Reach should be read primarily as a self-conscious anti-communist text. It's not an accident our protagonists are Irish either. In this essay I will argue...

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 6, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In regards to Dark Head, Ara and Toul had a pretty good dynamic going on and I could probably watch a whole series about them

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Went back and watched Screecher's Reach again, and liked it a lot more. The Pit remains my least favorite, though. And drat of Aau's song doesn't make me tear up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Captain Splendid posted:

Lol :same: