Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

I dunno why there isn't a massive bipartisan push to fix this problem, typically whenever there's something stupid that everyone hates that won't go away, like pennies, there's some lobby behind it but who's lobbying on behalf of teenage macedonian cell phone scammers

I would bet that the telecom lobbies are fiercely opposed to doing anything about it because they are the ones that would need to put effort into verifying identities and then not accepting fees from scammers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1654140170382262274

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

He is Elected.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

saw a washington examiner article on "crazy" paul krugman and the debt ceiling with this picture and lost my poo poo. they're about an inch away from drawing in the fangs and stink lines

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

He is Elected.

Who’s this goblin?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
so moisturized

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Cubelodyte posted:

Who’s this goblin?

my hosed up senses are telling me wolf blitzer rendered in the fox engine

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

The Cubelodyte posted:

Who’s this goblin?

Bizzarro Alton Brown?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

The Cubelodyte posted:

Who’s this goblin?

Christian Slater?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

I would bet that the telecom lobbies are fiercely opposed to doing anything about it because they are the ones that would need to put effort into verifying identities and then not accepting fees from scammers.
I don't think US telecom specifically has much objection, but it is a hard technical/political challenge to have international calling alongside verified caller ID that you can use for spam filtering. An actual international phone call gets handed off between a bunch of different companies, some of which aren't going to change anything, and some of which will be willing to lie about the originator. STIR/SHAKEN is the protocol suite about how to do authentication. It was finalized in 2019 and implementation in the US is still ongoing. June 30 2023 is the current FCC deadline for small telecos & all telecos connecting to international networks to finish implementing.

How well it will work for foreign calls is still up in the air. Like if a tiny fly-by-night phone company somewhere is willing to sign anything a robocaller presents to them, then that bounces between 10 different regional companies and ISPs (who can't attest anything besides "I got this call from company X and routed it to company Y") and then gets presented to a US entrypoint, that looks fine protocol-wise. The in-theory mitigation is revoking the originating companies signing certificate so nobody trusts anything they sign, but that might turn into impractical whack-a-mole on a global scale.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

saw a washington examiner article on "crazy" paul krugman and the debt ceiling with this picture and lost my poo poo. they're about an inch away from drawing in the fangs and stink lines

There's something about prominent intellectuals, especially Jewish people, that makes news media promote a certain kind of, shall we say, unflattering?, photography?

That said, professor Krugman might want to get a slightly better fitting pair of glasses, that does not look comfortable at all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When the media found out AOC was part Jewish, they fell over themselves to run this image:

If anyone somehow doesn't know why that might be a problem, click here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MasterTes/status/1654233634919034881

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When the media found out AOC was part Jewish, they fell over themselves to run this image:

If anyone somehow doesn't know why that might be a problem, click here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4PC8Luqiws&t=1s

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Why does he always look like this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1654320121089761280

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Cool what makes you think they're using land lines? They text, email, and call cell phones

It’s probably changed over the last few years and it’s been a while since I read up on it but for whatever reason it was much more expensive to conduct polls to cell phone users and so they would only include a very small sample of cell phone calls.

So, sure, maybe it’s changed and cell phones are the majority of polling calls now. But acting like that’s always been the case is just not true.

Here’s Gallup with a recent statement that, “hey now we poll cell phones ‘just as much as landlines’”. Which, to me still seems like it would be skewing the results.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/110383/does-gallup-call-cell-phones.aspx

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gallup also rather famously got out of horse race polling in 2015

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

The right patting themselves on the back for pwning the lib mega corp without bothering to check if they actually pwned anything is pretty on brand for them.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
They seem to think that "the libs" give a poo poo about the fortunes of a giagantic multinational corporation. Everything is a football game to these dorks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Look man they aren't conservatives because they are thoughtful, critical thinkers who came to rational conclusions.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Murgos posted:

The right patting themselves on the back for pwning the lib mega corp without bothering to check if they actually pwned anything is pretty on brand for them.

Has anything that they've been screaming "Go Woke, Go Broke" about actually gone broke? Like, everything I can think of either was still successful despite it's "troubling gender/sexual/political posturing", or failed for glaringly obvious other reasons.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

Has anything that they've been screaming "Go Woke, Go Broke" about actually gone broke? Like, everything I can think of either was still successful despite it's "troubling gender/sexual/political posturing", or failed for glaringly obvious other reasons.

According to this list of totally woke companies

https://daveseminara.com/complete-list-of-woke-companies-condemning-so-called-racist-voting-laws/

quote:

AIG
Airbnb
Alphabet (Google)
Amazon
American Airlines
American Express
Apple
Bain & Company
Bank of America
Berkshire Partners
Best Buy
Biogen
BlackRock

it seems like the issue is that they go after totally humongous companies flush with money, so it's kinda hard for them to go broke. Stuff like the famously woke BlacRock

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

My company is only one list out of three, where can I complain? :mad:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If Bain & Company, several banks, and BlackRoc are telling me I'm being a racist rear end in a top hat, I'm going to have to take a moment and really contemplate if I'm the baddie.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamSchiff/status/1654189063509868544?s=20

Elect anybody else for chirsts sake

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I’ll do it, but only for chirst.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Scratch Monkey posted:

They seem to think that "the libs" give a poo poo about the fortunes of a giagantic multinational corporation. Everything is a football game to these dorks

They seem to think that people like me give a gently caress about one of the shittiest beers in the world or who drinks it.

But everything I've been reading seems to indicate that sales are, in fact, tanking because of this stupid bullshit

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BiggerBoat posted:

They seem to think that people like me give a gently caress about one of the shittiest beers in the world or who drinks it.

But everything I've been reading seems to indicate that sales are, in fact, tanking because of this stupid bullshit

I dunno, the 13% jump in Q1 earnings suggests otherwise.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I assume they're just buying other brands from the parent company?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Milo and POTUS posted:

I assume they're just buying other brands from the parent company?

Considering InBev owns most beers that you find stocked in non-alcohol specific stores, yes this is probably about 75% of what is happening. The other 25% is people buying Bud Lite to performatively destroy for clout. I mean, you gotta take a couple takes of you destroying cases with your gun so that you can get the take that best covers up the fact that you don't know how to shoot.

Plus, if Bud Light is the taste that gets you going you're probably not going to get craft beers or imports. Molson Coors is probably also seeing an uptick.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Stay not-woke, get nose broke

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

If I live in CA I would 100% vote for the gay Jewish guy using Star Wars memes to get elected who first took it to trump and in front of the whole nation explained clearly and concisely how Trump was perpetrating crimes against our allies and forced the Rs to unmask and go with, “yeah he did it but whatever.”

Yes. That’s a good person to have in the senate.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Murgos posted:

If I live in CA I would 100% vote for the gay Jewish guy using Star Wars memes to get elected who first took it to trump and in front of the whole nation explained clearly and concisely how Trump was perpetrating crimes against our allies and forced the Rs to unmask and go with, “yeah he did it but whatever.”

Yes. That’s a good person to have in the senate.

AI-generated Star Wars memes. Look at their hands.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Didn’t know Schiff was gay but that makes him even cooler in my books. Big agree with ‘his meme is hella cringe but his legislative work speaks for itself’

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Plotac 75 posted:

Uh, okay. Yeah poo poo can him then.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Gyges posted:

Considering InBev owns most beers that you find stocked in non-alcohol specific stores, yes this is probably about 75% of what is happening. The other 25% is people buying Bud Lite to performatively destroy for clout. I mean, you gotta take a couple takes of you destroying cases with your gun so that you can get the take that best covers up the fact that you don't know how to shoot.

Plus, if Bud Light is the taste that gets you going you're probably not going to get craft beers or imports. Molson Coors is probably also seeing an uptick.

This whole thing made us choose Bud Light for our summer beer. It's not actually terrible, but I'll drink if only because I like buying the 30 pack at the store and seeing who wants to give me shifty eyes.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This whole thing made us choose Bud Light for our summer beer. It's not actually terrible, but I'll drink if only because I like buying the 30 pack at the store and seeing who wants to give me shifty eyes.
I don't think anyone is giving you shifty eyes IRL. Just buy PBR or something, at least its cheap unlike Bud.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Plotac 75 posted:

That's because Star Wars isn't real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's because Star Wars isn't real.

What I mean is his office could've contracted an artist or something. Maybe even one from his own district, how's that for engagement.